Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Brand new laptop with no disk drive

I just got a new laptop as of Friday. I want to continue to play Sims 3 with all my expansions, but unfortunately I don't have a disk drive. All my games are physical disks, so I cannot just re download therm.I tried playing via another computer, but it says I need a disk in the computer. My games are registered and I have an Origin account. What do I do to keep playing?

Comments

• NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    Hi,

You can obtain digital download versions of your registered games at no cost which is made possible through the Origin download manager application program. Simply log into it with the same login credentials that was used to register the products. From the My Games tab you should find your digital games ready to download and install.

Before installing the digital download games, you will need to uninstall the disc versions of those games first if present. By running the latest-released expansion pack or stuff pack as an Origin digital download, no DVD disc will be required to launch into the game.
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • SAMSPAIN22SAMSPAIN22 Posts: 202 Member
    Hi,

You can obtain digital download versions of your registered games at no cost which is made possible through the Origin download manager application program. Simply log into it with the same login credentials that was used to register the products. From the My Games tab you should find your digital games ready to download and install.

Before installing the digital download games, you will need to uninstall the disc versions of those games first if present. By running the latest-released expansion pack or stuff pack as an Origin digital download, no DVD disc will be required to launch into the game.

You can do this^^ and you can get USB CD drives super cheap across the web!
    giphy.gif
    PC Specs: i7 4790@3.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, R9 280X
    Youtube Channel (SamGames) www.youtube.com/channel/UCfcu71Y96Kyt7cUPvFZ6pTQ
  • thesims4diamondthesims4diamond Posts: 1 New Member
    how do I install the sims 4 on my disk Drive :)
  • NichaedemusNichaedemus Posts: 16,905 Member
    For more information on TS4 installation please refer to the following EA Support pages:
    For all technical questions about TS4 be sure to check out the following forum section:
    When you need help with The Sims 3 or The Sims 4, be sure to check out the Master Help Thread today!
  • GrimusenviGrimusenvi Posts: 1 New Member
    > @SAMSPAIN22 said:
    > Nichaedemus wrote: »
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > You can obtain digital download versions of your registered games at no cost which is made possible through the Origin download manager application program. Simply log into it with the same login credentials that was used to register the products. From the My Games tab you should find your digital games ready to download and install.
    >
    > Before installing the digital download games, you will need to uninstall the disc versions of those games first if present. By running the latest-released expansion pack or stuff pack as an Origin digital download, no DVD disc will be required to launch into the game.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You can do this^^ and you can get USB CD drives super cheap across the web!

Hey, sir it seems that you know about such kind of question? Sorry to bother but my PC, an Apple laptop has no DVD/CD drive as well. I want to play DVDs I bought from Amazon last year. I have no idea how to do it. I see from this article http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/how-to-play-dvd-on-laptop.html, it gave two ways, the first is to buy external DVD drive. But I think it is too expensive which will cost me 15 dollars, and the other is to rip DVD to MP4? I am not sure whether this is legal or not? Do you know? In this thread http://www.pcworld.com/article/2020963/how-to-play-dvds-and-blu-ray-discs-in-windows-8.html, It mentioned to install VLC, but it is just a player not a drive, i have no idea what it is talking about.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2017
    @Grimusenvi - Your question is a bit off-topic for a TS3 forum, but I would strongly suggest getting an external optical drive if you need to run things like movies from commercially made discs. The second article you linked to is explaining what to do if you have a version of Windows that does not include built-in DVD player software, not anything to do with not having the hardware (and you aren't on Windows anyway). Will also add that Macs don't have any built-in support for blu-ray, so I believe you would need an external blu-ray drive even if you did have a disc player on your laptop. That will drive the price up a bit, not all DVD drives can play blu-rays.

The first article you linked to discusses DVD ripping software, but you would still need the hardware somewhere on some machine (running Windows I suppose) to actually use it and it's only going to work for specific file formats.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
    @CurvingYeti5 If you registered your games on the Sims 3 site, they'll be available when you log into Origin.

My PC doesn't have a disc drive either, and I own all pre-2012 discs for everything but ITF and Pets. But, when I downloaded Origin onto my computer, my games were all there. You shouldn't have to repurchase them at all (provided that they were legit copies and not purchased from an unauthorized seller, ie eBay).

My husband tried burning the disc to a 'virtual' hard drive (Daemon Tools or something, I think it was called)... but it doesn't work. The game immediately recognizes that it's a copy and will not let you past the main menu screen.
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif
    @CurvingYeti5 If you registered your games on the Sims 3 site, they'll be available when you log into Origin.

My PC doesn't have a disc drive either, and I own all pre-2012 discs for everything but ITF and Pets. But, when I downloaded Origin onto my computer, my games were all there. You shouldn't have to repurchase them at all (provided that they were legit copies and not purchased from an unauthorized seller, ie eBay).

My husband tried burning the disc to a 'virtual' hard drive (Daemon Tools or something, I think it was called)... but it doesn't work. The game immediately recognizes that it's a copy and will not let you past the main menu screen.
    Good advice, but I'm afraid the question to which you are responding was asked and then answered by a Sim Guru almost three years ago. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • RstormFRstormF Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, I have a Laptop that has no disc drive and I just would like to know if you can still download and install the sims onto this laptop?
    (I have never had any previous sims accounts.)
    RstormF wrote: »
    Hi, I have a Laptop that has no disc drive and I just would like to know if you can still download and install the sims onto this laptop?
    (I have never had any previous sims accounts.)
    Sims games (TS3 and TS4) are available as digital installations by way of Origin for Windows or Mac. TS3 is also available through Steam (on Windows). If you already own the discs and they are or can now be registered to you, then you automatically get rights to the Origin versions. Or, as stated prior, you could get an external optical disc drive.

If the discs are second-hand and were already registered by someone else, or if you never owned the game at all, then purchasing the games digitally would be the option to consider.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!