Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Creating a Neighborhood—From Scratch!

octobersimmeroctobersimmer Posts: 40 Member
Hey guys,

I'm back! I decided to reinstall my game and start everything from scratch... and I intend to create a brand-new neighborhood where I create all of the townies, downtownies and sims that exist in it! I don't particularly want any auto-generated sims in my game!

Has anyone ever done this? I would love some help in doing this! Please let me know.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    Awww, good memories. Once did Steambridge, a cyberpunk neighborhood. Start small, create as you go, don't try to do everything at once. I think I deleted all the townies and the game created new ones. And keep a strong theme. I find it keeps the interest going longer or it gets too random.
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2018
    Hey guys,

I'm back! I decided to reinstall my game and start everything from scratch... and I intend to create a brand-new neighborhood where I create all of the townies, downtownies and sims that exist in it! I don't particularly want any auto-generated sims in my game!

Has anyone ever done this? I would love some help in doing this! Please let me know.

Thanks.

You will need a mod (before you start) that will make sure all templates and or your hoods are empty of townies and NPCs. The old stand by, by Mootilda is outdated as it didn't really clean those before starting, and left over data. I saw on MTS some months ago someone who had worked with her to create a better mod that improved all that as they said hers did not. But I have forgotten the creator, but you will need that mod so the game doesn't create any in the background even before you start. ETA: If you locate Mootilda's it did not work as it should have per the person who worked with her to create a better one.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    Hey there! If you haven't started already, you might want to check out my primer for avoiding neighborhood corruption.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/931101/the-sims-2-primer-avoiding-game-and-neighborhood-corruption/p1

Before opening your neighborhood you'll want the antiredundancy and anti-spawning hacks listed in the thread here: https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Game_guide:Avoiding_corruption

To prevent townies from spawning on their own, or visiting lots, you will need the summon shrub and the visitor controller: set the visitor controller down on every lot and ban all Townies and NPCs that are not paper delivery, mailman, repo man, social worker, or carpool driver. (These will generate automatically no matter what you do: some mods can change the appearance of the delivery people, but you do NOT want to mess with social worker or carpool driver.)

If you want to make and use townies, you can refine this ban so that Apartment Life social group townies don't spawn and visit, so your game will only be using your original townies. IIRC, pleasantview spawns in 30 townies: 14 adults, 11 teens, and 5 children, split roughly 50/50 between male and female, so that's my estimate on your minimum to ensure that the game doesn't spawn them.

To safely make townies, make them in CAS however you wish, move them into an empty lot, and use the summon shrub to set each one to "townie." The same method is available for downtownies and social group members, but if you want a minimum number of sims in a small neighborhood, it's easier to just ban them.
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]