Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do I make bars/clubs stay open all night?

2...Next

Comments

• TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited December 2018
    You're saying that the bar closes and the bar tender just stays and finishes their shift that we just set? That would make such feature as setting their hours completely and utterly pointless which is a possibility but not ready to accept that answer yet. I'm just going to test it. I'll report back later when I've had the chance to do so.

No, it's not pointless. As I said above, I think that feature is solely for resorts. Resort lots are open 24 hrs a day. The shift feature lets you manage expenses when staffing pool bars, LN bars, the check-in desk, and the resort snack bar. That's what the upkeep prices refer to in your pic above. I think it's a bug that the option shows up on LN bars when not on a resort lot. Other resort options like drink quality on LN bars, chlorinating swimming pools, and setting the temperature of hot tubs do not show up unless those objects are on a resort lot. Seems like EA just forgot to restrict this option on LN bars to resort lots. Maybe because the other objects with the option to set shifts (check-in desk, resort snack bar, pool bar) simply aren't available unless you are in build/buy mode on a resort lot, so EA didn't have to worry about resort options showing up on non-resort lots for those objects. And maybe the LN bar resort options showing up on non-resort lots just slipped through their fingers? Dunno, but I'll be surprised if setting mixologist staffing hours affects bar and lounge venue hours.

I'm definitely interested in your testing! I put a LN bar in the library in Oasis Landing (the UL snack bar did not work at all, my sim couldn't order anything). The plumbot mixologist is only set to staff the bar the first two shifts, but the library is open 24/7. So, that setting has not affected library hours. I'll have to try enabling all 3 shifts on the bar and see if the mixologist staffs it 24 hrs or not. AFAIK plumbots don't age so I'm not worried about complications.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2018
    Where I see this could be useful, intended or otherwise, is that perhaps on venues that are already open 24/7 or very long hours, we might be able to arrange one or two different bar objects (and thus different Role Sims staffing them) for each shift thus providing something close to 24/7 coverage without making it look like we are working our Role Sims sims to death. Or are the shift settings per lot rather than each object per lot?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Satanu_ReevesSatanu_Reeves Posts: 402 Member
    @TreyNutz I didn't think about that comment before I wrote it, it's since been edited. Was concerned it read like I was being short. Still gonna test though, I want to know what happens when the bar closes now.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2018
    You're saying that the bar closes and the bar tender just stays and finishes their shift that we just set? That would make such feature as setting their hours completely and utterly pointless for keeping a bar open. I hope that's not the case, not ready to accept that answer :) .Another possibility is that the feature is for when you put a professional bar on a lot that isn't a late night bar/club. Which I could see it having an actual purpose then. I'm going to test it. I'll report back later when I've had the chance to do so.

Edit: Made my post sound less grouchy. I did just roll out of bed.
    I assume the problem might be that LN was developed long before the option to set hours was. Which might be why the pack sabotages the option. I’ve disliked nightclub curfews from the very beginning (and the hotspot system for that matter). I consider it an idea that may have seemed nice on paper but didn’t turn out very good when playing the game. I like the curfew for kids and teens (because that consequence feels in depth and realistic to me, though I do wish we would have had the option to bypass it), but not for the nightclubs.

ETA: oh, I like it you’re going to test it! Bookmarked.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited December 2018
    @TreyNutz I didn't think about that comment before I wrote it, it's since been edited. Was concerned it read like I was being short. Still gonna test though, I want to know what happens when the bar closes now.

No problem. I didn't take it personally. :) I assumed it was focused towards EA. :p

edit: well, enabling all 3 shifts on the bar in the OL library did not force the mixologist to work all 3 shifts. The plumbot disappeared sometime after 2 am and was still gone around 8 am.
    Post edited by TreyNutz on
    @JoAnne65 Yup, if you set a graveyard shift at the bar in a LN venue...it will close at it's usual time and the bartender will just stand there in the dark washing glasses with no one to talk philosophy with LOL. So as @TreyNutz said, it's for other lots such as a Resort.
  • Scarletsin666Scarletsin666 Posts: 38 Member
    You guys have some great ideas
    A good combination might be a hangout lot type, the doors from savvy sellers (lets you set hours for a lot), manually setting the barrier of entry system for the type of sims you want there (it was patched into the base game, right?), manually setting bartender hours and bringing in LN features such as the club dance floor. It sounds good written out, but it's the sims 3 so I can't say for sure until I see it work, or not, with my own eyes.
    A good combination might be a hangout lot type, the doors from savvy sellers (lets you set hours for a lot), manually setting the barrier of entry system for the type of sims you want there (it was patched into the base game, right?), manually setting bartender hours and bringing in LN features such as the club dance floor. It sounds good written out, but it's the sims 3 so I can't say for sure until I see it work, or not, with my own eyes.

I wonder if setting up an outside patio space at a bar venue or lounge venue would work. It probably can't be closed off with a fence and would probably have to be on the ground floor. But with a LN bar set up outside in the patio area and the mixologist on that particular bar set to work the graveyard shift, it might be usable after your sims have been shoved out of the building at venue closing time.

Good work on testing. In my own game, the mixologist on the library lot left at 5am and reappeared a little after 9am. I don't know where those hours come from. Later I disabled all 3 shifts on the bar and the mixologist still shows up. Probably due to the lot being a library those settings have no effect.
    Oh I didn't go that far. I waited until 3:00 am, the lights went out and everyone left but I saw that the graveyard shift bartender was there at a little past 4:00 am still washing dishes in the dark. Maybe I should've waited a bit longer in my test, he might have also disappeared at 5:00am.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,119 Member
    ***munches on popcorn while reading such interesting discussion.***

:)
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
    I think it's concluded since we have the answer :D . The feature doesn't really work right for late night lots because it's designed for bringing late night bars to other lots. Igazor pointed out that even if we can get it to work, it requires mods to get it to work correctly because Sims prefer partying when they should be getting ready for work. What's nice about the sims 3 though is every time I get disappointed with not being able to do something I want, I get a few more ideas about doing something based on how it I learned things actually work.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2018
    Well, I've always said that sims regard the entire world around them as a banquet and they feel free to partake of anything made available to them at any time. Maybe that needs to be updated now -- sims appear to regard the entire world around them as a resort but they don't really? Doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

But how about an entire world that consists of nothing but four or five honking big resort lots? There might be some slight issues with having no residentials so everyone essentially becomes homeless, but maybe that's the price to pay for living in paradise... :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    Could call it the Sims 3 Weird Eden challenge...or something.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I think it's concluded since we have the answer :D . The feature doesn't really work right for late night lots because it's designed for bringing late night bars to other lots. Igazor pointed out that even if we can get it to work, it requires mods to get it to work correctly because Sims prefer partying when they should be getting ready for work. What's nice about the sims 3 though is every time I get disappointed with not being able to do something I want, I get a few more ideas about doing something based on how it I learned things actually work.
    Yes, exactly this! And quite often I end up having more fun when I make it work, than I would have if they’d implemented it ready to go. Though I still dislike the curfew thing for nightclubs in general. It would have made a difference if they’d allowed us to set that time ourselves. 2AM’s just way too early.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I haven't played LN in a very long time but I thought there was some sort of object that could make the places stay open all night. I can't remember the light or object was it something about party all night? I used it in my game when I was playing LN, but can't remember the name of the light or object in the LN pack.

I've never heard of anything like that for LN.

I'm thinking it was a light fixture and it says something about party all night? It's been about three years so I can't remember, but I know I did use it to keep some bars open and not cc.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Setting shifts on the bar won't change the hours of the venue, but it is useful if you have a bar place at, say, a gym or art gallery (I use a barista counter from UL there, myself) or another venue that does not usually include a LN pro bar. Venue type sets the hours of operation of the location, regardless. Some in fact are never closed.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited December 2018
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    I haven't played LN in a very long time but I thought there was some sort of object that could make the places stay open all night. I can't remember the light or object was it something about party all night? I used it in my game when I was playing LN, but can't remember the name of the light or object in the LN pack.

I've never heard of anything like that for LN.

I'm thinking it was a light fixture and it says something about party all night? It's been about three years so I can't remember, but I know I did use it to keep some bars open and not cc.

Perhaps you mean the 'black light effect' that you get by clicking any lamp and choosing that option (and having LN I assume). I remember it having that description but I have not seen it consistently work keeping the party happening. I am not in a position to be able to test in game right now :smile:

Edit: wrong word