Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fix the Butler!!!

simstr0ngsimstr0ng Posts: 679 Member
edited October 2022 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Please fix the butler. I quit using the butler a while ago because each time I left the lot the butler would change. So - I would lose the relationships built with the butler - the clubs - everything. And I would keep getting the klepto butler. With Fame I thought I would try the butler again. How is this still not fixed? Please fix the butler.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• TopNotchToddlerTopNotchToddler Posts: 190 Member
    edited December 2018
    simstr0ng wrote: »
    [...]I quit using the butler a while ago[...]
    #metoo. And the maid. And the gardener. And I've given up on ordering pizza. NPC's definitely need improvement.

And while we are at it, why only a single butler? Since Get Famous my sims are filthy rich, they want to show it by number of employees.

And for me the most important thing would be some hidden trait cheat to make one or more household members functioning butlers. I've spent so much time creating my Alfred Pennyworth, why is [insert random sim here] cleaning my Batmobile?

• AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    I agree - they are so worthless. I have not had one in a long time but tried again recently and fired the butler in one day - all she did was stand around outside in the freezing cold weather (how she did not die is beyond me - I was actually hoping she would!) and even if my sim gave her a command, I would get some kind of notice that she could not do that right now - what???? Tell her to cook a meal and it acted like my sims did not have the items needed to do so - um, yes they did.
  • simstr0ngsimstr0ng Posts: 679 Member
    Thanks. Glad to hear I'm not the only one losing patience with the butler and other NPCs. I would even be more glad if improving the NPCs was on somebody's to-do list.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I wish they would fix them! They are even a main SP feature. I have this bug as well.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    I hadn't messed with the butlers before I found there was a mod to make butlers have proper needs (since they, y'know, live in the house). Apparently butlers don't need a LOT of things a regular sim does, which is a little scary and unnerving. So I tested things out, and set a butler to live in a tiny portion of the lot and locked them in, and there was nothing that killed that poor man besides fire or drowning. Scary.

I installed the mod ages ago, but never got anther butler because I found that when I let that robot man out, he just stood around, or got a LOT of water from the sinks and let it sit in weird places like behind the tv or ontop the fireplace or in a bookshelf...and he wouldn't actually bother to... do any of his tasks, ever.
  • JCStormy1JCStormy1 Posts: 67 Member
    It's been years(?) one would have thought this would have been fixed by now. I keep trying and hoping that maybe, just maybe, it would right itself but no such luck.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Players with this issue should add feedback of their experience here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-VGSP-Butler-changes-after-going-to-another-lot/m-p/6734312#M77373

I've had the same Butler ever since VG came out and he hasn't ever changed so I don't really have anything to say about that.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    I reported this to answers.ea - also did so 1+ year ago - thanks for keeping this topic alive - maybe we will get a fix.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    simstr0ng wrote: »
    [...]I quit using the butler a while ago[...]
    #metoo. And the maid. And the gardener. And I've given up on ordering pizza. NPC's definitely need improvement.

And while we are at it, why only a single butler? Since Get Famous my sims are filthy rich, they want to show it by number of employees.

And for me the most important thing would be some hidden trait cheat to make one or more household members functioning butlers. I've spent so much time creating my Alfred Pennyworth, why is [insert random sim here] cleaning my Batmobile?

I've had no issues with the maid in my current save (with three kids, my stylist and painter couple needed a maid!); I was thinking of hiring a butler (even added a bedroom in the basement) but sorry to hear they're still broken. What are the main issues? If it's traits, wonder if I can use UI Cheats to change them.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    @stilljustme2 - the issues are you hire a butler - you work on relationships with your family and the butler - you can include the butler in clubs - everything is going great until a Sim in your family travels somewhere and comes home to find a different butler. Not good. I think the butler switch may also occur without travel...I stopped using the butler a while back because of this problem...now with Fame a butler seems like a great idea but I was disappointed to find the butler had not been fixed.
    I've had no issues with the maid in my current save (with three kids, my stylist and painter couple needed a maid!); I was thinking of hiring a butler (even added a bedroom in the basement) but sorry to hear they're still broken. What are the main issues? If it's traits, wonder if I can use UI Cheats to change them.

I have to admit that I cannot judge the maid in it's current incarnation, as I said, I stopped using her. As for the gardeners, they ignore my plants if I have them at two or more different places (e.g. behind and in front of the house, indoors and outdoors). Or sometimes I cannot even hire a gardener because I allegedly do not own a garden (I do). And with pizza it's a lottery. Sometimes It get's delivered, but don't count on it.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Maid is working great for me, My active household has used one for 4 generations and counting with no issues. Couldn't live without one, to be honest, so I'm glad she's working. For anyone who does have maid issues, I know there's mods that allegedly fix them; I just haven't needed to use them.

Butlers I've never liked in any sims game...they always end up being more annoyance then help. Sad that we're all the way up to 4 in the series and they still haven't managed to get it right. For those willing to use mods, there are a few that have various butler fixes. https://littlemssam.tumblr.com/post/175405054223/better-butler-and-hire-more-butler-adds-more is one example. Don't think I've seen any that address the butler-changeling issue though.

@TopNotchToddler The last patch indicated they fixed the issue with gardeners. What was happening was that, unless you had plants that actually needed weeding at the time of the call, the game would say you had no garden and not let you hire one. Patch notes said they fixed it, and for me at least, it's working again. Just FYI if you haven't tried since the patch.

This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Hear hear! I loved my one butler, but with the same issues that many here have that have gone untouched for years, I never wanted anymore butlers after the one. Same goes with terrible pizza delivery service, gardeners who can't recognize when you have a garden or not, and maids that fail to clean up everything that's cleanable.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Just FYI if you haven't tried since the patch.
    Hmm, good question, it was a few days ago, so... hard to say. Thanks for pointing this out, I will try them as soon as I have time to play my gardening saves.

• MirandanikMirandanik Posts: 12 New Member
    Hmm I just recently bought that pack and started using a butler and have not had many issues with him. the only things I have noticed is he stands around a lot and for some reason he won't eat sometimes when he's hungry and stands there pointing to his mouth begging for food but won't get any but other times he does eat, it does annoy me when he won't go to bed and everyone else is so it won't go super fast, he needs an option to make him go to bed and eat. Mine has never changed when I left the lot. All in all my butler actually does a good job, would like it if he would put the laundry away though instead of leaving it sit on the dryer when it's done.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Yeah devs we need a fix on NPC, cuz it's really bad.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • vikixcvikixc Posts: 330 Member
    I don't get why they exist, they don't do anything unless I tell them to. I may as well just hire a maid.
    2UFyFUV.png

Stormkeep wrote: »
    [...]For those willing to use mods, there are a few that have various butler fixes. https://littlemssam.tumblr.com/post/175405054223/better-butler-and-hire-more-butler-adds-more is one example.[...]

Thanks a lot, @Stormkeep! I will definitely try this, it adresses a lot of my issues.

Thanks for chiming in to say the butler needs a fix - maybe the maid and gardener also.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I've had Vintage Glamour for a long time, but haven't tried out the butler yet. I've had a nanny once, but never had a maid or gardener. Mainly because most of my households' homes aren't large enough to need one or they wouldn't be realistic to the storyline I''m playing with them. Also, for the very reasons you've mentioned too. I've seen how butlers act in Let's Plays on YT.

Speaking of that, I did notice on the last R2R GF LP by James Turner (TheSimSupply) that there is an option in the butler menu to command them to 'Go To Sleep.' I believe that was added in a recent patch.

I hope they are fixed at some point (I doubt it will happen though) for the other problems they have because now that I have a gaming desktop, I'd like to start building bigger homes with larger families and might need/want one in the near future.
  • DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    I hate this because I put all my families in the same save, and there's multiple I want to have a butler but the game doesn't remember which butler goes with which household! It's infuriating.
  • cwant301cwant301 Posts: 4 New Member
    I am tired of the butler. i made a home with a trait lot of peace and quiet for reading, and now she won't put the book down, she doesn't care for the young, which is a pain, cause the sims i control take the toddler out of his high chair as soon as i get them in and they are starving!!!! but i digress, yeah, not doing any of the tasks that you would assume would be normal for a flipping butler. not cleaning, not caring for kids, not cooking....just reading.....in the corner of my kids room.....not sleeping, eating, anything....just reading....and no matter how many times i fire and try to hire a new one, they send the same person....i even changed her traits in cas to be more productive....nope....over it.....can't find a current supported mod for the issue either.....gd. how am i going to have an insane number of children if i have no butler?? huh?? i can't feed all the toddler and make the food to feed them....freaking social services....#simslifeproblems
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2019
    cwant301 wrote: »
    I am tired of the butler. i made a home with a trait lot of peace and quiet for reading, and now she won't put the book down, she doesn't care for the young, which is a pain, cause the sims i control take the toddler out of his high chair as soon as i get them in and they are starving!!!! but i digress, yeah, not doing any of the tasks that you would assume would be normal for a flipping butler. not cleaning, not caring for kids, not cooking....just reading.....in the corner of my kids room.....not sleeping, eating, anything....just reading....and no matter how many times i fire and try to hire a new one, they send the same person....i even changed her traits in cas to be more productive....nope....over it.....can't find a current supported mod for the issue either.....gd. how am i going to have an insane number of children if i have no butler?? huh?? i can't feed all the toddler and make the food to feed them....freaking social services....#simslifeproblems

Technically Butlers in real life are not kid caretakers - but - you can actually give your butler assigned work - you know. The hired butlers do not all do the same things either. I often fire Butlers until i find one who does seem to have attributes I want in my Butlers - but if you have a Butler you like otherwise - well you can always hire a Nanny for child care - as that is supposedly what Nannies do. Butlers generally take care of the house and gardens more than anything on their own - and they will do assigned tasks if I have my sim click him/her and assign them different tasks. Generally when I assign them a new task though they stop doing certain tasks they came with so I assume their task list is limited.

https://careertrend.com/butlers-job-description-2894.html

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• MorningMistMorningMist Posts: 3 New Member
    I know this thread is old but feel its still worth having... I took have butler issues... they don't do their task, or go to sleep or eat... and once they get their noses in that stupid book they keep in their inventory you can forget them even moving from that spot... they are worthless... I have some mods that makes them better but still should not have to babysit the butler
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited September 2019
    What bothers me is that every time I leave the lot or switch families, my butlers lose the options I've chosen for them. For example, I have to tell them again to bring all visitors in, or to leave my plants alone or stop repairing objects. It's really annoying.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top