Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which EP should I get?

So I've always been pretty vocal about my love of the earlier Sims games. But I took my chances with the build-a-bundle on Origin over the weekend and picked up City Living+Parenthood+Vintage Glamour Stuff and have actually been enjoying it.

I'm considering getting another EP while they're still on sale, but I'm not sure which I'd like more: Cats & Dogs, Seasons, or Get Famous.

-I was a family/legacy player in TS3, but favour single Sims in TS2 and 4.

-TS2 did Pets way better, but I preferred Seasons in 3. I hated the fame system in TS3 (probably one of the few things I disliked about Late Night, and the game in general), though I'd be open to Get Famous if the celebrity system has been overhauled.

-I am definitely interested in the Jungle Adventure game pack, since I loved both Bon Voyage and World Adventures. But I'm not sure which EP/SP I should pick to go with it.

So I'm curious...

Which EP do you guys like more, and why?
Which EPs add the most, in terms of gameplay?
Are there any EP/SP combos that you find play well together? Why?

Thanks guys, and Merry Christmas/happy holidays/season's greetings to you all!
I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif

Comments

• annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited December 2018
    Hi there and Merry Christmas! I'm currently having a breather after dinner, so thought I'd share my views with you. When it comes to choosing between packs, I always advise to check out the Carl and SimsVIP guides and reviews as everyone wants something different from their game. Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with any of those EPs as they are all great, but if I had to choose then my favourite would be Seasons because it affects all gameplay and makes everything feel more real, dynamic and atmospheric. I couldn't imagine my game now without it. I think it goes well with Jungle Adventure too since this applies to all worlds.

Cats and Dogs would be my second choice because I am an animal lover and the world it comes with, Brindleton Bay, is actually my favourite so far. The create a pet feature is also great and so versatile. This really comes down to person choice though. I received Get Famous as an early Christmas present, and, as someone who isn't particularly interested in fame, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with it. The fame system has definitely improved, it's much harder to gain fame, and the perks and quirks are a lot of fun. The reputation system is also a nice added touch for all sims. I do find the new world somewhat small and disappointing, but I love all the CAS and build items and I am definitely having a great time with it.

As for combos, I think Seasons goes particularly well with Spooky Stuff for Halloween, Get Famous goes well with Vintage Glamour and Luxury Party for your posh celebs, and Cats and Dogs...well, it obviously goes well with My First Pet Stuff, but while the hamsters are cute, I don't think it adds much gameplay so I'll say Romantic Garden instead because you can walk the dog in a nice garden :D or just get Laundry Day if you haven't already because it's great.

Anyway, I hope you find some of this useful and enjoy whatever you choose.
    Post edited by annaliese39 on
  • IrishSimmer21IrishSimmer21 Posts: 464 Member
    Seasons is my favourite.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    I love Jungle Adventures so much! I think it's a great choice! Here are some suggestions for you...

Seasons and Spooky Stuff go really well together because you can do a great Halloween. For both family players and single Sims alike, Seasons is excellent for gatherings, creating and celebrating holidays, and it adds a variety of activities. Plus the ambience of having weather back is awesome. Climate is different in each town/world, so it could be snowing in Willow Creek, but sunny and hot in Oasis Springs. I personally think having climate is a great touch. Just be aware that you can't control the seasons but you can turn off weather affects or adjust the general time span that they last, just not individually.

Cats and Dogs is a pack that I really love. I absolutely love the coastal town that comes with it and I think the cats and dogs are adorable and very realistic. You can't control them though, or even see their stats, so if that bothers you a lot, you might not like it as much. Cats and dogs can only die of old age but they can get sick sometimes and you have to bring them to the vet. You can also play as a veterinarian. One problem to be aware of is that stray animals get sick too, and sometimes the sick pets can be annoying. But I personally love having pets in my households.

Laundry Day Stuff has a lot of beautiful build/buy items that I think compliments this pack nicely. I personally don't care for Sims doing laundry so I don't actually use that part, but there's so much else in there that makes it worth it. If you like realism you might like using laundry because they put a lot of play design into it.

I would say many people might also recommend My First Pet Stuff pack with this one because it's actually created as an extension of Cats and Dogs. It has many items that are only usable with the expansion. But it adds a new pet type, a rodent, that has a lot of personality. Beware that if not cared for, it can bite your Sim and spread a deadly disease. This pack was very controversial when it came out, because DLC for a DLC is a little weird, but to get it in a bundle with Cats and Dogs actually makes sense.

Get Famous isn't a favorite theme of mine, but I am having a blast with it. There's a new playable acting career, a reputation system, and a fame system, and you can turn off the creation of new celebrities. Your Sims can also opt out or into the fame system, so it was created in a way that is much less invasive than Sims 3. There are already existing celebrities and they will show up on community lots and cause a kerfuffle sometimes, so be aware of that. I suppose you could always delete them or go into their household to manually have them step out of the spotlight if you don't like it. The world has very few lots despite looking large, but the gameplay aspect is strong.

I would normally recommend Vintage Glamour, stuff pack with this, but since you have it, I'm going to say Romantic Garden or Luxury Party. Luxury party makes sense because it's full of posh things, but it's not my favorite. It might work for you, though. Romantic Garden has some nice landscaping items that would look nice on estates, and a few eccentric CAS items as well as some nice stuff. It also has the fabulous Wishing Well that your Sims can take chances with making wishes. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. Fun times!

So I hope some of that helps. You can also go into your game to the main screen and look at some of the things each pack contains to see if you like it or not.

Good luck and have fun!
    #Team Occult
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Seasons is the most popular EP so far among the forum users. There's a lot to do and it changes the world so much. I'd recommend getting it before any of the others.

Cats and Dogs is also a personal favorite of mine. The animals feel more integrated in my sim's lives, and toddlers also have a few cute interactions with pets.

Get Famous is also good for single sims. I've played with the actor career a bit and it's pretty fun. The fame system is WAY better than the one in Sims 3 too since you can opt your sims out, and fame can decay or even be removed entirely if your sim decides to quit. Plus you don't have those annoying rumors that keep causing relationship drops. Instead you just have quirks, although I haven't gotten far enough to get those, so I'm not sure how annoying they are.

As for pairing with JA, Seasons introduces weather in Selvadorada, which has a rainy climate. It might make exploring the jungle a bit tougher, but it adds ambiance. If you have Cats and Dogs, you'll see some strays when you visit the cantina. Oh, and being an archaeologist is one of the ways your sim can get famous, if you do lectures and stuff IIRC.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • jennihopejennihope Posts: 321 Member
    I'm glad I'm seeing so many people speaking so highly of Seasons because I just got that EP as Christmas present <3
    follow my simblr: https://beautesims.tumblr.com/ <-- still under construction
    origin id: jennihope
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    The devs did a good job with celebrity this time around -- It's a lot harder to become a celebrity, you have to work at it. The game does generate some NPC celebrities, I've found, but it doesn't turn already existing Sims into celebrities (other than the pre-made celebrities that come with the game) which is what bugged me about Sims 3's celebrity system. I also like the "perks tree" where you can choose what sort of rewards your Sim can get to move up theBe celebrity ladder.

Because the active careers work well with single Sims, Get Famous might work well for you. I like both the Fame and the Reputation systems (though it can be hard to have a Sim with a Bad reputation if you're not into playing Mean or deviant Sims). I haven't tried the Acting career yet, but I like you can develop a path to fame through other careers as well. The furniture in GF goes well with Vintage Glamour which you already have, plus the butler in VG will probably go well with the celebrity lifestyle (thinking about a butler for my celebrity couple).

Single Sims might do well with Cats & Dogs -- my main complaint is that the animals count towards the household limit of 8 even though they're not playable.

Seasons is absolutely spectacular -- the changes it makes in the worlds are fantastic, and it adds a new challege to the game. For example, if you like to have your Sim fish as a hobby, you have to plan ahead a bit because in Winter they can pretty much only fish in Oasis Springs (everywhere else is too cold). Or if your Sim gardens then they have to either have a greenhouse or plan accordingly because most plants have actual growing times (you can only get apples in Autumn, for example). And now that we have the terrain tools and can bulid structures with different foundation heights on the same lot, it's easier to build greenhouses that actually look like greenhouses. If you decide to do family play then Kids Room Stuff would go well with Seasons as it provides more activities for indoor play for the kids. The furniture also coordiates a bit with what's in Parenthood. Packs like Backyard Stuff also go really well with Seasons, as do GPs like Outdoor Retreat (I've heard Granite Falls is gorgeous in Winter) or Jungle Adventures.

My favorites in order are:
    1. Seasons
    2. Get Famous
    3. Cats & Dogs

but I'm mostly a family player. Take a look at your own playstyle and decide accordingly.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,594 Member
    Hello :)
    This is a link to guides to each of the expansion packs. They give details about the features, new activities, venues.and worlds that are in the packs, as well as the build mode and cas items. They may help you to decide
    https://simsvip.com/sims-4-expansion-pack-guides/
    Each pack is great! :)
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited December 2018
    Get Together and Seasons are still big favorites of mine EP wise.

Weather is just a dynamic thing to have in the game, since the Sims 2 adding atmosphere and affecting a sims plans for the day. Not to mention the holiday system in the game making actual holidays that feel more fulfilling and intimate with sims now. It just feels good when you see it start to rain and puddles start to slowly accumulate on the ground with sims caught in it getting uncomfortable and upset about it.

Get Together I've found to be a fun EP. Sims having more things to do and places to go. Dancing the night away at night clubs and hitting up the bar. I like getting the occasional invite from a sim for a sudden spontaneous party. Going to cafes early in the morning after your sims energy is almost depleted from dancing so much. :) Find it to be a very nice pack, especially when you play single sims. Not to mention you can use and manipulate the club system to your liking.

Seasons definitely added a lot for gameplay, Get Together too. Get Famous has a good bit of gameplay I've been enjoying and even without using the fame system your sims can have a reputation. Celebrities haven't really been that intrusive and sims aren't catching fame like a disease. Been enjoying the music station and editorial one as well. With working on my sims fame with another family her relationship with her husband went down because she's been so busy. Pfft.

Get Famous/Vintage Glamour/Luxury Party- With the celebrity lifestyle and the butler that comes with the stuff pack it works great not to mention the very fancy furniture/decor with the juice globe. Luxury party just fits here with the glitzy CAS clothing and makeup. Then you have the fruit punch/chocolate fountain with the buffet table. Works great when my sim holds charity events and didn't hire a caterer.

Spa Day/Fitness Stuff
    - Works well with that modern sleek look. Works especially well in homes and making really nice bathrooms. Actually they work well with Get Famous, especially making exclusive fancy spa's just for the rich and famous to go to. Dine out works VERY well, in terms of making fancy overly expensive restaurants for celebrities.

Seasons/Spooky Stuff/Backyard Stuff- Spooky stuff has more of a purpose now, since you can actually have a spooky holiday so all the decor and costumes aren't wasted. Spooky recipes, pumpkin carving, sims grabbing candy from the candy bowl autonomously on spooky day. It just works really well. Backyard works especially well for a more summery vibe with CAS and then having a slip n slide, wind chimes and a drink tray you can make a pitcher of lemonade or tea. I especially love the bird feeder.

To note, I do enjoy C&D too, as pets feel a lot more special to me in this iteration even if it's JUST cats and dogs. There's even autonomous animations that happens that I can't cancel since it doesn't come up when my sim just goes to dance with their dog or small dog. Something I sometimes do with mine when I play with them.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • SimsFinest1SimsFinest1 Posts: 326 Member
    Seasons seems to be most popular. It does really add a more challenging element. It was hard enough to keep my Sims alive pre-Seasons!
  • lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
    Well, I've read all of the guides, and I'm even more undecided now lol.

I like different aspects from all of these. The vet clinic from C&D sounds fun, as the hiring/firing employees bit reminds me of Open For Business (my favourite TS2 EP). But Get Famous sounds like it would work really well for my single Sims, and Seasons adds so much gameplay that it's almost overwhelming lol.

I'm sure it will be fun deciding. Thanks for the feedback, everyone, and happy holidays to you!
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

• ladysweettartladysweettart Posts: 239 Member
    It really depends on how you play. I tend to play with families, and Get Together and Seasons have been my favorite ones (I also have City Living, and do like it, but GT and Seasons have just gone with my playstyle better)
    I have a YouTube Channel dedicated to Sims 4! You can find it here if you are so inclined!

www.youtube.com/c/LadySweettart
  • lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
    Thanks again for the feedback, guys!

After watching a few reviews online, I ended up going with Get Famous/Luxury Party and Jungle Adventure, and I'm enjoying them so far. Happy holidays to all of you. :)

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Thanks again for the feedback, guys!

After watching a few reviews online, I ended up going with Get Famous/Luxury Party and Jungle Adventure, and I'm enjoying them so far. Happy holidays to all of you. :)

Watching online reviews really helps! I'm glad you're happy with your choices. Have fun! :)
    #Team Occult
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Get Famous would be my choice. But only if you like that kind of play. I like it bcuz of the in depth acting career. It's just a lot of fun to play. I think it suits the single sim player better. Vintage Glamour goes well with this pack.

Second choice Seasons. I like that seasons brings new things to do in game though it doesn't bring as much as the previous Sims games but it is a fun way to celebrate holidays and even create your own special holiday or event. This pack is good for family gameplay. Any pack goes with this.

Jungle Adventure would also be a good one for a single sim player. You could be a famous archeologist if you get Get Famous.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • SheriGRSheriGR Posts: 795 Member
    edited December 2018
    Very hard to choose. For me, if I had to add one at a time again for the ones I have I would go this order:

#1 ― Seasons - Very cool, lots of features added, and it made gardening and flower-arranging for a career interesting and a nice combination for my retail stores in 'Get To Work'. If you don't have 'get to Work', you can still work in the career and build the skill and sell arrangements - which can be pricy with certain high quality flowers from your garden.) I've had a lot of fun with the features of this pack... and it is WAY cool to see it snow and cover their world...) There are a lot of challenging parts that are a cool switch-up in your worlds.
    #2 ― Get To Work - This is me, though. If you don't play like i do - as described here - I would make 'Get Famous' #2. (I would combine with the 'Dine Out' pack so you can do restaurants also...) This pack allows you to build, purchase and run retail stores, and I use it a lot. ( You can also own & run restaurants if you add the 'Dine Out' pack. The restaurants are less profitable to my Sims for the time and effort spent, but are really a great challenge and fun. ) The stores (retail) are my favorite if used to sell their wares. You get a pretty nice profit if you sell high quality skilled items your Sims make (or grow). My Sim households who do this as a large household working and running the store as a group are both millionaires now. They do work hard and rotate managing/cooking for the store, etc., but it is a fun, great challenge. Just scale back to make it less work. Still... potential for great money!
    #3 ― Get Famous - I didn't think this one would appeal to me, but I got it because I build a lot and I wanted the build items (which are awesome)... But I ended up liking it overall, also! It brings in the stylist career, acting, and all of these cool interactions and nuances of how you can gain fame and other fun things, even if you don's want to have a sim in the acting career.
    #4 ― Cats & Dogs - The dogs can be a bit of a handful, especially at first — a bit like having a toddler. The dogs I have are adorable, but somewhat needy. I highly recommend a doggie door and fenced in yard. They love swimming in the pool, too! If you get a cat, get the letter that cleans itself... the top of the line one. Well worth it! A maid & butler will help with the poo in the yard. It is pretty cool, though, if you love pets &/or cuteness.
    #5 ― City Living - I enjoy this 'world' as an option for visiting or living in. I've always had my Sims in one of the penthouses or the 'Old Salt House' so they are not throwing away the rent money and because you avoid a lot of the hassles that apparently come with their apartment life.
    #6 ― Get Together - As far as I'm aware of, I don't use these features as much as I thought I would... but I may be using more than I realize. I tend to make very involved and large households that are already a handful, and external social gathering options are of less interest to me, but that is my game style. If you love social gatherings that doo not include your own or other created households, I would move it up on the list above 'City Living'. Some of my favorite 'build-mode' items came with this.

Enjoy your new virtual adventures! :)
    Sims 4 Gallery
    EA ID: SheriGR
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SheriGr
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8