Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fun Way to Play a Klepto

I put together an apartment for my klepto with only attached items (flooring, walls, lights, curtains, shelves, and kitchen and bath fixtures), plus a refrigerator and a bed. I made everything white so that it could accommodate any decor. Now, I'm going to have her steal every single piece of furnishing and decor she needs for her place.

It will be interesting to see what her apartment ends up looking like since I'm not going to plan the decor very much, but rather get it opportunistically. Here's what the apartment looks like right now, at the beginning:
Frm_Klepto_Living.png?w=584

Frm_Klepto_Bath.png?w=584

Frm_Klepto_Bed.png?w=584

Has anyone else ever tried this before?
BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com

Comments

• CorenrenCorenren Posts: 592 Member
    I'm not sure but i believe you can only steal certain things... Mostly only decorative things.. If I am wrong feel free to correct me.
    2ynjgg8.png
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    @Corenren I was at a retail store, and I clicked on one of the chairs (not for sale) and got the option to swipe it, so I think you can swipe almost anything. I think it might depend on their klepto skill level, too, or maybe their mischief skill level? I'm not sure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I wonder if they steal autonomously? After all, kleptomaniac butlers did.
    Oh noooo - you were right @Corenren -- I can steal chairs but not tables or rugs?? And my sim is at a mischief level of 10. I'm bummed.

I'm currently looking for a mod that will let me steal more stuff, otherwise, my klepto might have to actually buy some of her furniture (oh no! LOL).

@calaprfy They do steal autonomously, but there's also a trait you can give them that will make them steal more often.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I did a Rags to Riches, Klepto version and combined it with the Runaway Teen challenge awhile back. The rule I made for her was that her only income could come from things she's stolen and then 'sold' to a fence. Once she got to the highest level and started stealing paintings and Knight statues from the museum, it made life a lot easier for her. lol

I never thought about restricting her from buying anything and using her ill-gotten loot to furnish her home/lot, that's a great idea! I might have to try this myself. However, I do know you can't steal some of the larger appliances, like stove, refrigerator, etc., so it's a good thing you've already included those in the apartment from the beginning.

Another fun Rags to Riches challenge is only furnishing your Sims home with things they can make on the woodworking table. A little limited there too, but it was still cool to do! I pretended my Sim was a carpenter hired to live in a lighthouse to maintain it and had to furnish it himself since it was old, abandoned and came with limited furnishings. :) Good luck and have fun!
    @Karababy52 - Hey I like your idea to use stolen goods to pay for furniture. At least I can keep her dishonest, LOL. I will probably do that. Thanks!
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    Oh, gosh. That's hilarious. My klepto stole a lot of fun stuff (a lot from the art museum) but had nowhere to put it.

She also found the love of her life when she and a former enemy bonded of their mutual fondness for taking things that didn't belong to them. :)
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • SimsFinest1SimsFinest1 Posts: 326 Member
    Thats a funny idea! Following to keep up to date on how this turns out
    edited December 2018
    Okay, so here's what I've done so far. Unfortunately, there is no "swipe any object" mod. I did approach a modder about making one, but I have no idea if anything will come of that. I still want to play where my klepto has to decorate with "found" objects, so I decided to "case" commercial lots and swipe anything that's swipeable. After that, I'll change the lot to residential, move her in, have her make a copy of anything she wants from the site that's not swipeable and put it in her household inventory, and then move her back to her apartment. I view this as her breaking in at night and taking stuff, even though I know that's a huge stretch. There aren't a whole lot of good workarounds right now.

So, here's her loot so far. She went to a Starbucks and swiped a book and a big screen TV. Then I had her "break in" and take a rug, a table, a vase, and a couple of pieces of kitchen clutter. I have a rule that she has to use the object in the size it was in when she took it. The game changes items to their default size when they go into inventory, so I have to remember their size and change them back when I get her home. The rug is too big for her apartment (I didn't realize at the time), so I'll have her "fence" it for money.

I will have her only make money from objects she swiped and then sold, but I won't specifically take items from a "break in" in order to sell them-- I'll only sell the break-in items if I accidentally get something that doesn't work in her apartment. So she'll have to take the risk of swiping in order to get most of her sellable items. I use cheats to cancel out the money she actually has to spend on break-in items.

The game makes you wait a certain interval of time in between swipes, but I did get around that by downloading a mod that allows me to just steal to my heart's content without waiting in between.
    Frm_StolenGoods.png?w=584
  • Samsonguy9000Samsonguy9000 Posts: 755 Member
    I used a bit of imagination myself in a rags to riches save. One of the rules I had set, and this was from a playthrough that James of Sim Supply did, was that nothing could just be sold outright, but instead through flea markets, a street table, or running a store. I was having the worst luck getting a foothold on selling anything as a flea market wouldn't appear and any street tables that popped up were scooped up by other sims.
    So I decided that there needed to be a pawn shop. I went to Magnolia Promenade and redid one of the stores there to make it into a pawn shop. Replaced the fancy displays with good old metal shelving, threw in some additional knickknacks, giving it that feel of people's sold junk feel.
    So now my sim had a place to go to sell all of the junk and knickknacks she could find, just through having her go there during typical store hours and selling through the inventory sell slot.
    Sometimes you gotta use a bit of imagination to work around some difficulties. It didn't exactly make it too easy, as my sim still had to tend to other things, but it did provide a feasible venue for making some simoleons so she could later get things that would get her more simoleons, like a guitar to play for tips.

I like this klepto avenue myself. I may give it a swing, putting the pawn shop back into use, this time buying more than just collectibles.
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    I am playing something similar and having so much fun! I have two evil kletos dressed in all black like cat burglars that started out poor. I put vaults in the homes of premade rich sims and put money in them and had them break into them (funny when they fail and get gassed!) and had them start stealing from museums and art galleries and everywhere really. Like someone mentioned - you can just use the money you sell the stolen goods for to start buying things ( you can use the yard sale table if you want more challenge than just selling from inventory or you can even set up a retail store to sell the stolen goods). Some things cannot be stolen and some do depend on the level of mischief. Once you can steal those knights - you start getting a lot of money and there are quite a few of them in museums and some homes. My sims are millionaires now and I have never had a millionaire sim - they now live the good life in a mansion and have more money then they can possible spend but they still steal as they have the compulsion to (and they are evil!). They are now starting a family and going to raise more evil kleptos!
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I've been recently playing a klepto also. I'd never done it before, but because of the vaults that came with GF I decided to give it a go (still haven't set up a vault for him to steal from though). It's been a lot of fun so far. I've been able to swipe chairs and lots of paintings, pet beds ect. What he doesn't use in his home I sell off. I'm combining it with a bad rep although he's only gotten caught stealing once. Other things are happening for him and it ends up steering me away from my main goals lol. As long as we are having fun though right?
    egTcBMc.png
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    I've got to make another klepto as mine has been gone a while, back in Sims 3 I had one that actually swiped a police car outside a venue when it was not being watched, was really funny, you could swipe more objects in that one, I miss that.
    edited December 2018
    I have news!!! A really nice modder from Mod the Sims replied to my request to make a "swipe anything" mod and is currently working on it!!!!!!! I'm so excited.
    edited December 2018
    @Samsonguy9000 I love your pawn shop idea. So creative!

@AprilDawn I don't have Get Famous yet, but the vaults sound fun. I cracked up when I read your plan to start a family of evil kleptos. That's awesome!

@smurfy77 Swiping a police car has got to be the BEST klepto story ever, LOL!

• stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    @Corenren I was at a retail store, and I clicked on one of the chairs (not for sale) and got the option to swipe it, so I think you can swipe almost anything. I think it might depend on their klepto skill level, too, or maybe their mischief skill level? I'm not sure.

I think it depends on Mischief skill -- I played a klepto vampire (he'd pick up goodies while stopping in for a midnight snack :D ), and he started out only being able to swipe small decor items, but as his mischief skill grew he could get larger stuff. Hmmm -- maybe I'll play a klepto but I'll give him/her basic furnishings and use the ill-gotten gains to upgrade as needed. (Wonder if kleptos can steal money out of the Get Famous vault?)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    Bookmarking this thread uwu
    Oh hamburgers!
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2018
    Even more fun:

If you have wellness maxed you can teleport in and out of divisions for quicker and more effective swiping.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    I started a new klepto in 4 after reading this, and getting the idea from the simmer above, to furnish her apartment with things she has stolen, it's actually coming along , she has stolen a 2 seater couch from the museum in the beach town, paintings and a violin from the one in the city, a computer and chair from each of the libraries so far. It's been easier than I thought, and I'm surprised no one has caught her yet, but she sure keeps having sims express admiration to her, thats funny itself lol.
    LOL @smrufy77 - that everyone admires your klepto sim. I'd love to see screenshots of her apartment, if you have them, with all of the stolen furnishings.
    My sim wanting to steal stuff but there are too many people around...

12-26-18_9-38-56-PM.png?w=584
  • SimsInHogwartsSimsInHogwarts Posts: 57 Member
    One of my sims has the klepto trait and he brings a guitar from work almost everyday - he even stole a piano once. It's weird they can only take certain things though.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    such a great idea!
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    Just..... have them......... woohoo the entire town... I’m sorry if I’m acting like this.. I unfairly lost a mafia game day one.
    Oh hamburgers!