Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to get a Perfect Ninja Starfish without mods!

AlHollandiyahAlHollandiyah Posts: 1,121 Member
I have completed my sims perfect fishing collection today, and I had by far the most trouble trying to get a Perfect Ninja Starfish. I have been googling, scouting this forum for old posts, and coming up with nothing but tips that don't work or use some mod that I don't want to add. To FISH for a Perfect Ninja Starfish you need Perfect Tofu and that isn't available anywhere. Also growing either of both on a Perfect Omni Plant doesn't give you a Perfect harvestable. I even read in one post about a person who spent 4 REAL days and a boatload of tofu before he got one!

Then I thought of something.... If you own Generations, and if your sim has a high enough Science skill, they have a chance of increasing the quality of whatever it is that they clone! So I had my sim create a batch of 8 samples from a Normal quality Ninja Starfish, and ended up with 7 successful clones, of which one was Perfect! So there you have it! I didn't want to post this tip in threads that are around 5 years old, due to necro posting, but if you want a Perfect Ninja Starfish, you have to clone it!

Edit: The only downside to this is then when you mouse over it it will be shown as 'store bought' and not 'caught by <sim>'. The alternative (though not mod-free) is to buy some tofu, and use Nraas DebugEnabler to change it's quality to perfect. If you go fishing with that the odds are big that you will catch a perfect Ninja Starfish.
Post edited by AlHollandiyah on

Comments

• TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Nice find! Did you try cloning the tofu? I wonder if it's possible to get perfect quality tofu that way.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I know part of the point was to do this without mods, but my gardening sims have been growing high to perfect quality tofu for years. It's such a key ingredient in so many vegetarian and other recipes that I always hated getting stuck with the grocery store average or good quality stuff. And it does look ridiculous since unprocessed soybeans do not look like tofu cakes while still growing in the ground, but I've gotten used to that.

Now I have to remember how I did this. I think I must have edited the Ingredients XML through one of the ingredients overhaul mods I use to allow tofu to be harvestable without magic, advanced science, or special opportunity seeds.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • AlHollandiyahAlHollandiyah Posts: 1,121 Member
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    Nice find! Did you try cloning the tofu? I wonder if it's possible to get perfect quality tofu that way.

I actually haven't but I might try that next time I am near a science station. I just sold the one I had because I was done with it for this season, and I like to keep my family inventory down to a minimum.
    igazor wrote: »
    I know part of the point was to do this without mods, but my gardening sims have been growing high to perfect quality tofu for years. It's such a key ingredient in so many vegetarian and other recipes that I always hated getting stuck with the grocery store average or good quality stuff. And it does look ridiculous since unprocessed soybeans do not look like tofu cakes while still growing in the ground, but I've gotten used to that.

Now I have to remember how I did this. I think I must have edited the Ingredients XML through one of the ingredients overhaul mods I use to allow tofu to be harvestable without magic, advanced science, or special opportunity seeds.

I do think it is a bug that something that is used for many purposes isn't available in a better quality without so much trouble! I would like to know what you did to make it plantable, because I don't think TS3 will get any bug fixes anymore.
    There are mods on MTS which allow tofu, links, roasts, etc to be plantable, like this one. I found one which wasn't working and figured out how to edit the ingredient and plants xml to get it to work (so, don't use this mod, didn't seem to actually be updated for ITF). The only issue was getting the word 'tofu' to show up on the plant pop up when you hover the mouse over the plant. I ended up borrowing a STBL resource from another mod to fix that.
  • AlHollandiyahAlHollandiyah Posts: 1,121 Member
    I've checked out that mod, but to my taste it changes too much in the game with all those recipes and what not. I also prefer to use mods that are removable when you no longer use them, and this one can mess with your gardening journal if you decide not to use it anymore. Aside from that I only use nraas mods because they add extra options that the user can trigger but don't change the game play on their own. I think I'll stick to changing the quality of the tofu for now, as much as it can be called cheating I am only fixing a bug with it so I feel its allowable! : P
    I've checked out that mod, but to my taste it changes too much in the game with all those recipes and what not....

That's also why I don't use it and ended up fixing another mod. I just wanted my sims to grow tofu, links, and roasts.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    For those who do wish to try the Ingredients Overhaul mod though, this is the most recent iteration. I actually like it overall, it makes preparing even simple things more challenging but I did try it out on a test game first before moving it into my long-running ongoing one.
    http://modthesims.info/d/548787/cooking-and-ingredients-overhaul-more-nectar-ingredients.html
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net