Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Things you didn't know!

Comments

• Lilypink79Lilypink79 Posts: 115 Member
    edited November 2018
    The other day my sim with a 'lucky' trait, had a meteor crash on her work, the police station and survived. I never knew that happened in the game, or heard of it, and now that it's happened I'm noticing comments from heaps of people about them. Like I was keeping an eye on her house so the maid would go in and work, because if I don't watch, they'll stay outside until nearly the last minute and either stay overtime or not do all the cleaning. Anyway, so then I get the notice, something like 'a strange dark shadow over the police station'. So I went and looked, something at some time said it was a meteor. I could see the top of the building had a glob shaped shadow on the top. I went into cameraman mode with Tab and found it in the sky. My sim was outside the building and looking up with a "huh?" face. She ran inside, and came out all singed. One of her co-workers came out after her, singed. The Grimm Reaper came, I thought she was going to die, but he gave her a bunch of pink flowers. Then he went through the motions of death with the co-worker, then each co-worker in turn came out singed and died. My sim's turn to die didn't come around. Grimm left. Kinda funny. It's like: everyone's going to die but here's some flowers first.

Sorry, upon reviewing my screenshots, it appears Grimm gave her the flowers after everyone died not before. Still funny though.

I managed to capture the meteor:

Screenshot-227.jpg

and here's my sim receiving flowers from Grimm:

Screenshot-265.jpg

that's so funny! I think I've only ever had one or two meteor ever happen in my game. I don't play with aliens though so maybe that could be why?
    I've got 99 problems and TS4 glitches are 99 of them
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    Lilypink79 wrote: »
    The other day my sim with a 'lucky' trait, had a meteor crash on her work, the police station and survived. I never knew that happened in the game, or heard of it, and now that it's happened I'm noticing comments from heaps of people about them. Like I was keeping an eye on her house so the maid would go in and work, because if I don't watch, they'll stay outside until nearly the last minute and either stay overtime or not do all the cleaning. Anyway, so then I get the notice, something like 'a strange dark shadow over the police station'. So I went and looked, something at some time said it was a meteor. I could see the top of the building had a glob shaped shadow on the top. I went into cameraman mode with Tab and found it in the sky. My sim was outside the building and looking up with a "huh?" face. She ran inside, and came out all singed. One of her co-workers came out after her, singed. The Grimm Reaper came, I thought she was going to die, but he gave her a bunch of pink flowers. Then he went through the motions of death with the co-worker, then each co-worker in turn came out singed and died. My sim's turn to die didn't come around. Grimm left. Kinda funny. It's like: everyone's going to die but here's some flowers first.

Sorry, upon reviewing my screenshots, it appears Grimm gave her the flowers after everyone died not before. Still funny though.

I managed to capture the meteor:

Screenshot-227.jpg

and here's my sim receiving flowers from Grimm:

Screenshot-265.jpg

that's so funny! I think I've only ever had one or two meteor ever happen in my game. I don't play with aliens though so maybe that could be why?

@Lilypink79, meteor strikes came with the Ambitions EP, so aliens has nothing to do with them... ;) I didn't have meteor strikes for several years until about 2 years ago when I got my first strike while I had my SS and her hubby at the rollercoaster venue from the store. Since then, I've seen about 2 more in my saves... :)
  • Lilypink79Lilypink79 Posts: 115 Member
    [quote="lisasc360

@Lilypink79, meteor strikes came with the Ambitions EP, so aliens has nothing to do with them... ;) I didn't have meteor strikes for several years until about 2 years ago when I got my first strike while I had my SS and her hubby at the rollercoaster venue from the store. Since then, I've seen about 2 more in my saves... :)[/quote]

Hmmm, I have Ambitions. It sounds like they're not that common an occurrence then (thankfully) I remember the last one I had destroyed most of the house and took my sims forever to clean it up lol
    I've got 99 problems and TS4 glitches are 99 of them
  • DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    Lilypink79 wrote: »

I don't play with aliens either, they annoy me. I miss how in Sims 2 the rest of the household would witness it. Nobody cares in 3 :D And then they don't get a choice if they get pregnant or not and have to go through the pregnancy. I always give it back to the cosmos. I love it when my house is full cos when they get abducted there's no room for an alien pregnancy and I flip them the bird.
    And it seems even if they don't use a telescope or collect space rocks, they still get abducted, it gets forced on them.

So anyway, the meteor is random. Been playing for a few years and it's the first time it's happened to me and I never knew there was such a thing. I think my sim's "lucky" trait saved her because everyone else in the building died.
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • TinySpaceFoxTinySpaceFox Posts: 1,110 Member
    I never knew Sims could hold a drink and watch TV at the same time! Howzat TS4? :tongue:
    (Ironically, the Sim in this pic is my version of a certain TS4 premade :D)
    P7SEUjy.jpg
  • DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    I never knew Sims could hold a drink and watch TV at the same time! Howzat TS4? :tongue:
    (Ironically, the Sim in this pic is my version of a certain TS4 premade :D)

They can also hold a baby/toddler and watch it, although I'm sure you've noticed babysitters doing it.
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    @TinySpaceFox I had NO idea a sim could eat garlic, then kiss their vampire lover, and mess them up! :lol:

You cracked me up with that update today! :mrgreen:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    I didn't know that when a sim sells one of their paintings, that they could possibly see it hanging in the art gallery... :p

The painting of the pink monster was one of my SS first paintings she did when she started to paint. I was quite surprised that it was hanging inside of the art gallery when my SS went to visit it... :)
    1Hq8JhPl.jpg
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    So, yesterday, my cheap radio broke. I was about to let my handy sim repair it when I got that message: "Time to throw that low-quality stereo away. It's not even possible to repair that piece of junk!" Chuckles.
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • Satanu_ReevesSatanu_Reeves Posts: 402 Member
    Did you know that it is not necessary to cut tiberium into a spire? The raw ore itself will grow into a large spire (if left out of the inventory with enough space to do so). Raw tiberium ore, small spire, and gem dust will all grow into large spires.
    I've recently learned that Mummies from WA don't need sleep but will sleep seemingly indefinitely in a blessed or cursed sarcophagus of the kings and will not age. I don't know if it works with a regular sarcophagus. Seemed like this information could be useful for Legacy playthroughs if using the sarcophagus is limited to elders. Immortality seems tiring and maybe an elder will just want to rest for a while, then you can focus on heirs. You could do that by sleeping in the cursed sarcophagus twice for a cumulative of 24 hours to turn the elder into a mummy. Then either store them in that sarcophagus or the blessed sarcophagus. The blessed sarcophagus will remove the mummy status if they sleep in it twice for a cumulative 24 hours. Might take some challenge away from Legacy play, but I don't think it's against the rules.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    I didn't know that when a sim sells one of their paintings, that they could possibly see it hanging in the art gallery... :p

The first time I saw that myself was a shock to me. The painting was one of my sim's first, and a very bad one. Ever since then, I almost always scrap those bad ones before they're finished, just so they don't end up in the museum. LOL!
    Did you know that it is not necessary to cut tiberium into a spire? The raw ore itself will grow into a large spire (if left out of the inventory with enough space to do so). Raw tiberium ore, small spire, and gem dust will all grow into large spires.

I didn't know that. My current sim has some tiberium gem dust from cutting her tiberium herself. They aren't all that valuable, so I put them in her alchemy cabinet for making elixirs that need any kind of gem. But now I'm going to put them all out in her yard instead.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited December 2018
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    I didn't know that. My current sim has some tiberium gem dust from cutting her tiberium herself. They aren't all that valuable, so I put them in her alchemy cabinet for making elixirs that need any kind of gem. But now I'm going to put them all out in her yard instead.

Oh, that will work out well for your sim. Tiberium dust will grow first to a small spire, then to a large one, and be worth 35k+. Tiberium gem dust is quite valuable.

Yes, but by not cutting it into a spire with the gem cutter machine from Supernatural you miss out on tiberium gem dust, which itself will grow to a large spire. I rely on this phenomena when I have my sims tiberium farm for fun and profit.

6ZOWXMg.jpg

izFBouU.jpg
  • BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,764 Member

Wow, I wish I would have known this about tiberium before I sold my gem dust. I knew about tiberium growing for a ton of money but thought gem dust was just excess from the cutting and didn't do anything. A lot of you probably already know this too, but I had a sim protest about death and she ended up dying. It scared me at first until I realized what happened. I just laughed it off then and reloaded the save.
    edited December 2018
    @TreyNutz I understand. I mentioned gem dust in my original post it’s just I didn’t have super natural for a while and prior to that believed I had to send the gem to a cutter in the mail.

Edit: One more thing to clarify about Tiberium if Super Natural is installed. Once it grows into a Large Spire, sell it at the elixir consignment shop. It will often sell for double the value.
    Did you know sims with the 'Unlucky' trait have trouble dying by accident? When Death comes he says he finds their misfortune amusing, or something, and will resurrect them. Pair this with the lifetime reward 'Age Freeze' for an immortal sim.
    @TreyNutz I understand. I mentioned gem dust in my original post it’s just I didn’t have super natural for a while and prior to that believed I had to send the gem to a cutter in the mail.

Edit: One more thing to clarify about Tiberium if Super Natural is installed. Once it grows into a Large Spire, sell it at the elixir consignment shop. It will often sell for double the value.

My sim had three tiberium ores she had collected from Group Science Project meteor showers, and cut into the spire cut with the gem cutter. When they were fully grown they were worth $40,089, $33,879, and $33,181. She consigned them at the elixir shop and they all sold that same day for a total of $209,491. After the consignment fee of $11,377, she got $198,114 for the three of them. She has the suave seller LTR, so she gets more than usual for everything she sells on consignment.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Do you guys have any idea what flooding the market and forcing the sale and consignment of those gems is doing to your world economy? Just "who" is buying these things and where did all that money originally come from? It's like the Bitcoin thing IRL, it's all going to come crashing down on you eventually and then your worlds will become permanent Dystopias. Just a matter of time, don't say I didn't warn you. >:):p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    Concerning gem dust, if you cut a rainbow gem with the machine, the dust will work exactly like the gem, if you get the opportunity to make the imaginary friend real.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Do you guys have any idea what flooding the market and forcing the sale and consignment of those gems is doing to your world economy? Just "who" is buying these things and where did all that money originally come from? It's like the Bitcoin thing IRL, it's all going to come crashing down on you eventually and then your worlds will become permanent Dystopias. Just a matter of time, don't say I didn't warn you. >:):p

:joy:

Gosh... Nice one there @igazor !
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
    @igazor I'm not concerned. In a genuine free market economy, it's a matter of supply and demand. So long as someone wants them enough to pay that much for them, and has the money to do so, there will not be a problem. If the supply ever becomes more than the demand, the price will drop significantly, and whatever potential problem you think there will be will take care of itself.
    edited December 2018
    @igazor I'm not concerned.
    Really, Irene. So everyone who invested their life's savings in gems that suddenly have little to no value would be broke, unable to afford their property tax bills, and will have to move into trailers and vacant lots where their needs will not be met so their job performance will suffer. Their kids will also suffer on school performance and won't go to or do well at Uni, so they will be stuck as under-performers in low paying jobs with no future as well. Or they will all move out of town. And the ones left behind, too stubborn to move away, will be the dating and breeding pool for your sims, the ones who cashed out early and the only ones to have benefited from this entire scenario.

Economic dystopia, I tell you. You guys do whatever you want, I'm not having this in my game. In fact, this weekend my sims will be building underground bunkers, stocking up on bottled water, decontamination tablets (I'm starting to sound like @Nikkei_Simmer now), putting extra high security locks on the doors and gates to prepare for the inevitable. And to think these greedy "Well, I got mine!" sims could have spent all that time and energy doing something nice instead, like tutoring the neighborhood kids or raising puppies.

Happy Holidays. :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • FabBunnyFabBunny Posts: 158 Member
    edited December 2018
    igazor wrote: »
    @igazor I'm not concerned.
    Really, Irene. So everyone who invested their life's savings in gems that suddenly have little to no value would be broke, unable to afford their property tax bills, and will have to move into trailers and vacant lots where their needs will not be met so their job performance will suffer. Their kids will also suffer on school performance and won't go to or do well at Uni, so they will be stuck as under-performers in low paying jobs with no future as well. Or they will all move out of town. And the ones left behind, too stubborn to move away, will be the dating and breeding pool for your sims, the ones who cashed out early and the only ones to have benefited from this entire scenario.

Economic dystopia, I tell you. You guys do whatever you want, I'm not having this in my game. In fact, this weekend my sims will be building underground bunkers, stocking up on bottled water, decontamination tablets (I'm starting to sound like @Nikkei_Simmer now), putting extra high security locks on the doors and gates to prepare for the inevitable. And to think these greedy "Well, I got mine!" sims could have spent all that time and energy doing something nice instead, like tutoring the neighborhood kids or raising puppies.

Happy Holidays. :/
    That suddenly got deep...
  • FabBunnyFabBunny Posts: 158 Member
    I didn't know that sims could get mugged on the subways that came with late night. While I haven't experienced it myself, while my game was loading there was a game tip that said there was a slight chance of it happening.
    FabBunny wrote: »
    I didn't know that sims could get mugged on the subways that came with late night. While I haven't experienced it myself, while my game was loading there was a game tip that said there was a slight chance of it happening.
    Crime is expected to increase dramatically when the population's needs aren't being met...okay sorry, I'll stop. :p

Not sure, but I think that has to do with busking (playing musical instruments for tips down there). I've got Bridgeport loaded with extra subways and modded to encourage inactive households to take them nearly everywhere it makes sense for them to do so and I've never seen anyone get mugged. Maybe the odds will catch up with my sims eventually?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top