Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 2 UC System Requirements?

NerdySims99NerdySims99 Posts: 150 Member
edited November 2018 in The Sims 2
I'm pretty sure this has been asked before but I've been looking for awhile and can't seem to find a definite answer on this. What are the requirements for the complete Ultimate Collection for The Sims 2? I'm looking into getting a computer/laptop that can run it as well as be able to handle custom content but I don't really know what I should be looking for. Thanks!
"You've gotta be stirring my pasta."

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)

It's not like it has New requirements. It was finished in 2009 or was it 08?... I have it installed on my 2 year old, Win10 and my even older desktop with Win7. With any newer Computer (after 2009, I guess) you'll have to edit the Graphic Rules.sgr and Video Card.sgr for the game to recognize the newer graphics cards. If the Graphics Rules Maker doesn't work you'll have to do it yourself- which I believe there are links to information in a post on the first page here. :)
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited November 2018
    Wikki says this

It is recommended for expansions, especially later ones like Pets and Seasons that you have at least:
    A 2.5 GHz processor
    A 256 MB video card - a newer, better one (higher MIDDLE numbers = better. For example a Nvidia 7600 would be faster than the newer 8400. Newer does not necessarily equal better. Generally speaking, expect the previous series mid-range cards to perform similar to the current series low-end, and so forth.)
    1GB of RAM for XP or 2GB of ram for Vista.

Sims 2 can use up to 2GB of ram (unless you use the 4GB patch, then it can use 4) So I would think you would need at least 4 for the game and windows. ( Later versions) Though most computers come with minimum 8GB nowadays, so you don't need to worry much about that. (The more ram the faster and smoother the game can run) All you really need to make sure to check is the processor, make sure it is fast enough, any graphics card you get will be able to run the game with some alterations. Though as a warning, there are a lot of people having issues with AMD cards after a driver update from a while ago, so you may want to aim for a Nividia card.
  • leefishleefish Posts: 15 Member
    The Nvidia Optimus on laptops is a VeryBadThing if you want to play Sims2 with the dedicated card.
  • The_Narrator23The_Narrator23 Posts: 3 New Member
    Hello, I'm wanting to get the UC but I don't know if my laptop can handle it? I don't to break my laptop, I only say this because I saw a few people saying that TS2 could break low-end PCs or laptops.

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Language: English
    System Manufacturer: Acer
    System Model: Aspire ES1-531
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU N3700 @ 1.60GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8016MB RAM

I don't know if this info is any good, if not say and I'll find the right information to post. Any help would be appreciated!

(I didn't know where-else to post this, so this seemed like a good place. I hope!)
  • Bluefairy286Bluefairy286 Posts: 254 Member
    The processor is a bit slow, you would be better off having an i3,i5 or i7 processor or amd equivalent. I don't know what graphics card you have but you will need a dedicated graphics card (AMD or Nividia).
    My graphics card is: Intel(r) HD Graphics. I assume this isn't too great? I manage to run other games pretty well, albeit fairly old games (much like the Sims 2 actually.)
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    My graphics card is: Intel(r) HD Graphics. I assume this isn't too great? I manage to run other games pretty well, albeit fairly old games (much like the Sims 2 actually.)

The game might play just fine.

BUT computers with Intel HD as their graphics "card" aren't designed for gaming. They aren't designed to deal with the heat. This is even more of an issue for a laptop. You'll lower the number of years you can expect the laptop to last

I played for about 6 weeks on a laptop with the following specs:
    Windows XP
    Intel Pentium M (740/750/760) (either 1.7, 1.8 or 2.0 GHz processor speed)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 (not even Intel HD)
    512 MB of RAM

Played just fine and I'd stop when the laptop felt like it could cook an egg.

But one day it decided to not start anymore. While it only happened once, I got a new laptop shortly after and it was relegated to back up laptop. And then it failed me in that regard as it died on the same day as the replacement did. The fans wouldn't come on in all instances and laptops at least are coded to require the fans.

I wore out the fans in just 6 weeks of play. And most of those 6 weeks were not spent playing. The laptop lasted for about 4 years. It's replacement lasted about 10 years (power port died). I didn't play on it that often or for that long when I did.
    Thanks for the info! I don't think I'll bother getting the UC or any Sims game until I've got a better laptop or just a solid PC that can handle the games and won't break. It's a shame though, I love the Sims but can never seem to able to play them due to my equipment being pretty weak. Anyways, thank you for the help!