Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which do you use to run your Sims 3 game?

Comments

• Options
    lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,019 Member
    edited December 2018
    Through Steam
    I used to use a combo of Origin and disks, but bought everything again on Steam during a big sale there when Origin started controlling the game so much. I can easily bypass the game and steam launchers too by directly using the game shortcut itself. I'm very happy with Steam.

And I'm actually surprised to see how many people who voted here use disks! Nothing wrong with that IMO. Just surprised. :D
  • Options
    emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    Through Disks
    I was waiting for you to chime in @lanlyn :blush:

And yeah I was just as shocked to see how many people still use the disks too! :star:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    Through Origin
    I would run disks...but my laptop doesn't have a disk drive.XD
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member
    Through Disks
    Disks for me as well. Now when I had to reinstall my game back in my computer when my hard drive had died on me, I did some digital installs
    including the ITF EP as well as the disk of some of the EP's. Now lucky for me, that was a few months before the 1.69 patch came out as I still don't need to use my ITF disk. But if I should ever have to reinstall my game for whatever reason, then yes, it will be all disk installs so that I can avoid 1.69.
  • Options
    BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,773 Member
    Through Disks
    Downloaded them all from disc, but have to have Origin up to play.
  • Options
    AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    edited December 2018
    Through Disks
    Mine doesn’t either. I hate how laptops these days don’t have disc drives anymore :/
    Post edited by Amphora on
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    Through Disks
    Hi Emily, I play mostly on my desktop which is disc only, 1.67. I’ve never had problems with Windows updates interfering with my game. I also play occasionally on Steam on my laptop, no problems there either.

@Hejix There’s a Sim Game Selector program over at MTS that allows you to choose which EPS and SPs you want to turn on or off. Very handy. I really miss it when playing the Steam version.
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Through Disks
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Through disks, on patch 1.67.

Same here.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited December 2018
    Through Disks
    @Springfairy556 You can buy what's called a External Optical Drive... it plugs in via USB. Around $25-30 USD
    emorrill wrote: »
    Thanks for your votes everyone. :)

Ok, I'm gonna ask it...

So those of you who run the game using only disks, and you have Windows 10, did you ever find the Windows 10 updates messing with your game files, as opposed to those who run it through Origin or Steam, or no?
    I've heard some horror stories and I'm just wondering. (Most likely I'm worrying too much because...that's always been me. :pensive: )

No problems at all that I've experienced. On top of that, I still use Origin for other games with automatic updates turned off. It hasn't been an issue staying on patch 1.67 Disk install.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited December 2018
    Through Disks
    I could have spent less going the Steam route but I rather be free of all strings given the option. So I don't regret having to spend a little extra to replace my digital copies. Thankfully, not the whole collection but close to it. :D
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2018
    Through Steam
    I have a slightly different perspective to offer. Every single optical (CD/DVD) drive I have ever come in contact with has broken shortly thereafter. That includes internals built into computers, externals, and standalone players connected to a television. It's a Hidden Trait or something I guess. Therefore, my TS3 install has always been entirely digital even before Origin for Mac existed -- we had other legitimate ways to purchase and install digital versions back then.

Even before optical drives were everywhere, back when floppies were the norm, the novelty of "Now Insert Disk 43 of 72" to install large programs wore off long ago. It was always one disc towards the end of such installs that went bad before the others and the whole thing was never an efficient use of time.

Now on Windows, and having put up with the annoyances of Origin and 1.69 for a year, it's all Steam for me. I would have preferred to not have needed to repurchase the base game and all of the packs that way but it was less than $100 (USD) for the entire lot (excluding Katy Perry which Steam does not carry) on one of their prior sales similar to the one that's going on right now and I do not regret the decision. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Through Disks
    I still use discs and have no intention of changing :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Through Disks
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    I could have spent less going the Steam route but I rather be free of all strings given the option. So I don't regret having to spend a little extra to replace my digital copies. Thankfully, not the whole collection but close to it. :D

Exactly how I feel at the moment...
  • Options
    SemaviLadySemaviLady Posts: 526 Member
    edited December 2018
    Through Disks
    . . . So those of you who run the game using only disks, and you have Windows 10, did you ever find the Windows 10 updates messing with your game files, as opposed to those who run it through Origin or Steam, or no?
    I've heard some horror stories and I'm just wondering. (Most likely I'm worrying too much because...that's always been me. :pensive: )
    I haven't had issues with Windows 10 messing up my disk install on my current laptop. (but I did have have an update glitch on a previous laptop. Details below**)

Current Laptop:
    I have my TS3 entirely installed on the SSD OS drive (Drive C) which is 500 Gigs.
    My installation on this laptop is that TS3 game files are installed on the boot drive (Drive C) which is also where the default desktop and documents folder are located.

However, my other games and user software load pretty fast anyway, so they are on D Drive, a 1 T mechanical drive.
    Since their documents/save files are small, I retained the default documents installation on C Drive bc there is plenty of room.

** I DID have an issue with a bad Windows 10 update, on a different laptop that was initially entirely an Origin install.
    My previous laptop had an Operating System SSD so small (128 G), that I moved the default desktop, documents folder and all game installs (eg, Origin) to the mechanical hard drive (Drive D is 1 T ). BUT glitched Windows 10 update that happened only once, caused me to end up with an obliterated desktop shortcut. The update created a blank default desktop on C drive entirely devoid of my user shortcuts, it had default stuff like trashbin)
    Troubleshooting that, I found that the D drive desktop was still on D drive so a simple fix was to simply to rollback to the previous update and everything was fine again.
    (A good precaution -- just in case -- I did have C and D drive backed up on a My Book external drive as well).
    Cheerleader_by_CookiemagiK.gifI've owned the TS3 Store since Feb 2015-thanks to the help of many other simmers
    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ☆★☆ My Page ☆★☆-♞- TS3❣
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    edited December 2018
    Through Origin
    After hearing about the ill-fated Windows 10 Update 1809, I've disabled every instance of Win10 updating on its own, which meant having to go into Services and rooting about in the Computer Configuration menu...and then deleting the Win10 Updates tool. Which basically means that when Microrot decides to update my computer, it throws up an error and reboots, stopping the update cold - the boot config is set to stop the update and continue with the load-up without the update happening.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Through Disks
    Thanks for your votes everyone. :)

Ok, I'm gonna ask it...

So those of you who run the game using only disks, and you have Windows 10, did you ever find the Windows 10 updates messing with your game files, as opposed to those who run it through Origin or Steam, or no?
    Other than my settings being resetted (that happened once..., twice?) no, I’ve never had that fortunately.

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Through Disks
    @JoAnne65 Awesome!

Hey, do you happen to know where the Store Content patches are to download? I do not want to have Origin on this new computer (doing it all through disks), but I can't download my store items without having the "latest software updates." Are you able to help? Thanks. <3
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Through Disks
    @emorrill I don’t sorry, but googled and found this. There are some links in there that might help you?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2018
    Through Steam
    That was a great effort, but I'm afraid the only thing the Steam forum link proves is that no one has a very long attention span over there. With one or two notable exceptions, even those providing support to other players tend to not listen when told something new (to them).

Not sure I blame (all of) them. Sorry this is a bit off-topic, but I sense that fewer of us here have 300 games on our control panels all simultaneously screaming "Play me! No, Play ME!" every time we log in. That kind of thing has to be really distracting. :)

@emorrill - This is a good place to look too, though I am sure the files being offered up by @ZeeGee are exactly the same:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16341942/#Comment_16341942
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    Through Origin
    Sadly I have to use Origin. It is so annoying. Always updating. ALWAYS!
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    Through Disks
    @JoAnne65 @igazor Thank you so much my friends. <3
    I was able to figure out my issue and all is looking good now. Too much to explain. :p But yeah I appreciate your help and sending links. (((Hugs)))
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Through Steam

@Springfairy556 , When my husband bought my new laptop I was shocked to find no disc drive (he knew it didn’t have one but never mentioned it to me), we bought an external one if I need it.
  • Options
    lovespandas1lovespandas1 Posts: 635 Member
    Through Origin
    Origin, it just kind of happened over time, I think..? Used discs to install/run when I first started playing, then Origin came in at some point, lol. I'd love to switch to Steam though. I'm definitely surprised about the amount of people using discs; I always found them cumbersome..
    you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Through Disks
    Using disks, I don't have to update and open Origin just to play a game. The disk sits there waiting for me to start it... not waiting to report to EA what I'm doing.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Through Origin
    Bought them all on disc, but discs have the risk of being broken or lost so I registered them all on Origin and always install and play through Origin. The discs are in a box in a closet somewhere under a pile of quilts I never use I believe.
    It is much, much easier to install the game through Origin and unlike many here, I find it a lot easier for launching the game then finding and inserting a disc.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods