Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

One room, One week, One theme

Comments

• coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,101 Member
    edited December 2018
    Thank you very much @SheriGR and @rosemow! Thanks for the condolences @SheriGR and thanks for the hugs @rosemow! The only upside is that at least it wasn't my main non challenge game...again.

In 2016 with the old save system, my main game completely crashed shortly after a dinner party at which the uncle died and came back with a death flower, took my main Sullivan family's save away --- just after the uncle had gotten the twin girls to accept that he died, but he was back now, just tired, and all the stuff had to be replaced. I had to get the last 4 generations back the hard way. I still have their house's floor plan written down in a folder, as well as the family tree.
    4kkjdXo.png

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,594 Member
    You’re welcome @coolsim9999999 It isn’t very nice when the game crashes and we lose all our progress or something happens to our save game making it unable to be used :(
  • HisaosakaHisaosaka Posts: 40 Member

Theme for the week: A Dining room for a small family celebrating Christmas in a particular country
    Gallery name of room : Canadarama 2
    Origin id : Hisaosaka

The country is Canada, with a tiny Mediterranean twist. Merry Christmas to all :)

Pictures of the room :ODmC1un.jpg
    byZx0Bn.jpg
    uY4Iuhh.jpg
    WKHSTmG.jpg
    8n7hhhG.jpg

x0mSkUE.jpg?1
    Any requests for me ? There's a forum for thathttps://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/953895/any-requests#latest
    edited December 2018
    The design and furnishing of Canadarama 2 is very nice! @Hisaosaka :) Very nice red and white colour scheme of the room to reflect the colours of the Canadian flag! The white colour dining table and the red coloured dining chairs is nice together, and the red and white candles on top of the table are a calming touch. The festive ceiling light and banners looks very pretty! Very nice corner sitting areas for Sims to enjoy sitting on the red chairs or stools having a chat after their Christmas meal. The candles on the table near the stools and the red lamp near the chairs look very nice there. The Christmas tree with nicely wrapped presents near it looks very festively pretty in the room. The Christmas and Winter themed paintings on the wall are a special touch in the room. It is nice that there is a fireplace in the room to keep Sims warm in the Wintery Canadian Christmas weather. The new faux fireplace, Christmas log and candles look great in the room! It is nice the way that the holiday picture has been placed into the fireplace. Very nice wall area where the patterned wall is with the festive garlands and lights on top of it. It looks very special! It is a very nice touch that you have placed curtains either sides of it that have the Canadian maple leaves on them. The new Christmas pictures that came with the patch look great placed either sides of the curtains. Sims will look forward to opening the red coloured wrapped presents after their meal! The festive garland around the door and the Wintery red light tree on the wall are nice touches, and very nice red and white floor rug used in the room.
    It is a very nice Canadian themed dining room for Sims to enjoy celebrating Christmas in! Thankyou very much for entering this week’s challenge :)
  • MrsHosniMrsHosni Posts: 108 Member
    Wow such amazing rooms! I need to fix mine a bit more before uploading but hopefully until Sunday I will be done. Hope you all have joyful and peaceful days.
    3XTWXGf.jpg
    edited December 2018
    I will look forward to seeing your room @MrsHosni :) I hope that your continued work on it goes well . I hope that you also are having a lovely Christmastime :)
  • SheriGRSheriGR Posts: 795 Member
    @rosemow ...I just realized that I forgot to add curtains (I added the windows at the very end of the design. Duh?! If I decided to add them is that still possible? I could just update the pics and link in the post?
    Sims 4 Gallery
    EA ID: SheriGR
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SheriGr
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
  • sevvstaasevvstaa Posts: 12 New Member
    Hi, beautiful rooms there! Is there any ideas I could use, I want to make a bedroom but I don't know what theme I should give it. Thanks I hope someone answers back!
    SheriGR wrote: »
    @rosemow ...I just realized that I forgot to add curtains (I added the windows at the very end of the design. Duh?! If I decided to add them is that still possible? I could just update the pics and link in the post?

Hello @SheriGR :) Yes, you could reupload the room with the curtsins if you would like to, and update the picture and link in your post.
  • sevvstaasevvstaa Posts: 12 New Member
    Rosemow thanks for your help with my problem with the sims, I was so happy when I got the notification that someone answered!

Although I don't know how to make a new thread since i'm really new so I did whatever I can to get help.
    sevvstaa wrote: »
    Hi, beautiful rooms there! Is there any ideas I could use, I want to make a bedroom but I don't know what theme I should give it. Thanks I hope someone answers back!

Hello @sevvstaa :)
    These are links to posts that contain descriptions of past room challenges. Some of the challenges were based on bedrooms, so they may give you ideas for your own bedroom
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13311086/#Comment_13311086
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13312172/#Comment_13312172
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14676074/#Comment_14676074
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14680399/#Comment_14680399
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14720508/#Comment_14720508
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14735009/#Comment_14735009
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14738482/#Comment_14738482
    The current challenge though is for a Christmas dining room.
    sevvstaa wrote: »
    Rosemow thanks for your help with my problem with the sims, I was so happy when I got the notification that someone answered!

Although I don't know how to make a new thread since i'm really new so I did whatever I can to get help.

You’re welcome :)
    You are unable to make new threads until you become a full member.You need to have 25points and 15 posts before you can become a full member and can then have an Avi picture, post pictures, have a signature, start new threads, edit posts , post links that show up correctly and have quotes appear in grey boxes . This thread explains about it.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/934205/small-change-for-new-members#latest
  • SheriGRSheriGR Posts: 795 Member
    Thank you so much, @rosemow ! I re-uploaded and changed the links. Now I lost everyone's lovely comments, but at least they'll have curtains if they download, and I think some people would be disappointed not to have them. Thank you for understanding and being so kind, as always.
    Sims 4 Gallery
    EA ID: SheriGR
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SheriGr
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
    SheriGR wrote: »
    Thank you so much, @rosemow ! I re-uploaded and changed the links. Now I lost everyone's lovely comments, but at least they'll have curtains if they download, and I think some people would be disappointed not to have them. Thank you for understanding and being so kind, as always.
    You’re welcome @SheriGR :)
  • GwinielGwiniel Posts: 996 Member
    edited December 2018
    Thank you @SheriGR and @coolsim9999999 for your kind comments <3 And I'm sorry @coolsim9999999 for the loss of your save :'( I'd be devastated.

Lovely Canadian room @Hisaosaka.

@SheriGR and other curious simmers
    Yes, my lineage is from this area: from father's side the ancestors are from Karelia (when it was part of Finland), Russia and Estonia - my grandparents were refugees, when they were small children, from Karelia during Winter War between Finland and Soviet Union 30th November 1939 - 13th March 1940. From mother's side the ancestry is from Finland, Sweden and possibly even Norway (not 100% sure though). My parents were both born and raised in Finland but we, the children, were born in a municipality in Stockholm county, Sweden. But we moved back to Finland when I was a little child about 28 years ago. So we only have Finnish nationality anymore.

Thank you for the book tip - I'll have a look at it, if it's available here.

About Christmas in Finland how I see/feel it. I don't know about modern since I dislike the style, so my room reflected somewhat very typical Finnish rural Christmas with the major exception that in Finland, we don't usually have a dining room at all... the eating area is either part of the kitchen or a living room. But since the challenge was about a dining room for a small family, I literally went small and intimate.

My personal style is very decorative, abundant and (opulent in game) so I tend to heavily over clutter both in-game and irl. Most Finns are almost minimalist and Finnish style today is very sleek, from natural resources, clean and urban - basically everything I personally dislike except the resource, which I appreciate. But... that being said, about third of the population lives in small parishes and in the countryside where the style has remained pretty much the same the past 25+ years... And that is style I was after with my room.

The dated rural Christmas appeal is close to my heart. Most furniture are made of pine wood and cottage kind of style is pretty essential: pine wood table typically suited for a family of 4, 6 or 8 with a decorative leg running lengthwise in the middle (not having 4 corner legs) and for seating there are often two long pine wood benches without any back rest. There's typically some sort of Christmas themed red tablecloth, runners or handmade doily on the table with a center decoration, which typically is some sort of candle arrangement: (lantern(s), tealight(s), shaped candles (xmas tree, Santa, snowman etc.), electric light decor i.e. snowman, reindeer, Santa, elf. Or a flower arrangement: poinsettias, hyacinths, amaryllis', azalea, hellebore, hydrangea, Christmas kalanchoe or lily of the valleys often together with spruce branches, spruce or pine cones, moss or lichen. There's often a red Christmas themed curtains or hand crocheted pelmet(s). There are often decorations on windowsills above radiators such as Christmas candelabrum (typically white or red "^" -shape of 7 or 9 white electric lights. Might also have Christmas villages, straw reindeer or straw mobile decoration (ceiling), fake garlands, xmas cards etc. There are handmade red paper elves of different sizes and shapes, perhaps dark green paper xmas trees, paper snowflakes (or stencils). Windows are often framed with either white or multi-color xmas lights of various sorts and sizes, front door typically has real spruce wreath with decorations anything from ribbons, xmas tree balls, cones, moss, lichen, xmas bells, electric xmas lights etc.

In detached house the walls are 70% of the time either vertically full paneled or wainscoted with pine wood as is the flooring. 90% of the time a house has a wood stove and masonry oven and on the other side of the chimney is a brick fireplace in living room - this combination is called "heart of the home". Around this whole fire area is typically brick, slab, tile or painted concrete wall. Bricks are often left with their natural color (not painted over).

In apartments the walls are 90% of the time white(ish) painted drywalls/concrete wall.

None of the following pictures are mine - I searched them via google and put together as I thought that I would write a novel describing so much when couple of pics tells so much more and shorter...

Typical Finnish countryside both in summer and winter and the kitchen cottage like table I tried describing.
    a73NO6z.jpg

Some of traditional and typical xmas decorations.
    SWc2BrP.jpg

And finally some of our xmas foods...
    wmj90Gs.jpg

During December, before Christmas, is a custom to send xmas cards to friends, relatives and family, if they live elsewhere. Many buy ready cards but a lot of people also craft them by hand (I do). Work communities will have a pre-xmas parties. Schools have xmas celebration before holiday that often begins on 22nd or 23rd depending of the year. Lots of food preparations, decorating, cleaning, gift shopping etc.

Our Christmas tradition is to spend time with close family and have a big/heavy dinner on Christmas Eve. Some families visit Christmas mass in local church as there often is a beautiful choir singing our dearest holiday psalms and songs. Those who can will visit the graves of their loved ones lighting candles. (Cemeteries on Christmas Eve are the most beautiful to look at after dark as hundreds of candles are twinkling among the snow.) We also open gifts after the meal - typically around 7 pm or later but families with small children usually begin around 5 pm. Some have Santa visiting and entertaining children before giving gifts, some have Christmas gifts under the tree already - that Santa has brought them during the night after kids have gone to sleep on 23rd. On Christmas Day, many visit relatives and even close friends. On 26th, most will have to return to daily routine of work. Schools won't continue until Jan. 2nd.

Spoiler updated.
    Post edited by Gwiniel on
  • AlJayAlJay Posts: 1,655 Member
    Entry Form
    Theme for the week: A Dining room for a small family celebrating Christmas in a particular country
    Gallery name of room : Christmas at the Cabin
    Origin id : AlJay2000
    Description: I chose to make my dining room in central Canada, and went with the nature that can be found there as my theme.
    Sim story: Tanya and Trevor are newlyweds and as a gift his Grandma has given them the little old cabin on the lake. Living in central Canada people will seize every opportunity to head up to the lake, summer or winter! Tanya and Trevor are no different. The had a great big celebration meal with all of the family at home and now they are looking forward to some R&R in the great outdoors. They have already been ice fishing, and plan on doing some snowmobiling, cross country skiing, skating and sitting around the fire. Tanya has noticed all of Trevor's Grandma's photographs on the wall and is just itching to get out and take a few snapshots of her own. This looks like it will be the beginning of a wonderful Christmas tradition!!
    Pictures of the room :
    FORiFxE.png
    Picture collage on the wall
    eTgHrUP.png
    view from the front door
    rjHcFQt.png
    preparing the fresh fish and grabbing some coffee
    rPnN2JI.png
    Tanya and Trevor enjoying their fish
    fhz1H4l.png
    Mmm...coffee
    N7nNl8S.png
    JdMym61.png
    Overhead view
    It was very nice reading about your family history and about what Christmas is like in Finland @Gwiniel :)<3 Thankyou very much for sharing it with us. It was special reading about the details and creates a picture in our minds of both what homes look like in Finland as well as what the dining area when celebrating Christmas would be like. It is very nice that you reflected this in your room :)
  • lsnishilsnishi Posts: 2,714 Member
    I have to say all the entries are marvelous and reading about Christmas customs in various countries has been very interesting! Thank you for such a wonderful challenge @rosemow, and good job to everyone who's submitted a room!
    PDWxp40.jpg
    It was very nice reading the background story details that you have written about newlyweds Tanya and Trevor, and how they are enjoying celebrating Christmas in a cabin in Canada @AlJay :) It was very kind of Trevor’s grandmother to give the cabin to them as a wedding gift <3 The natural theme of Christmas in the Cabin is very nice! The room looks very warming and welcoming. The wooden wall and flooring give a very nice feel to the room, and it nice that you have used wooden style furnishings through the room. Very nice corner windows dining area! The Sims would enjoy sitting on the wooden seats at the wooden table enjoying their Christmas meal, and looking out through the windows at the Wintery weather. The Christmas decorations look very nice on the windows, and the Christmas wreath and garlands are very nice festive touches on the walls. The fireplace will keep the room warm. The candles look calming on the fireplace ledge and the mini nutcrackers are cute ! The patterned floor rugs add a very nice look to the cabin room. Very nice armchairs sitting area for Sims to relax after their meal and have a chat together whilst they enjoy unwrappinf the pretttily wrapped red and green presents that are near the Christmas tree! The Christmas tree corner looks very nice! The animal pictures on the walls look very great! The red and green decor items are a nice touch on the festive coffee table. Very nice kitchen nook for preparing the fish that they caught. The shoes and coat racks near the door are homely touches.
    It is a very nice restful and peaceful looking natural themed Christmas cabin room. Thankyou very much for entering this week’s challenge :)
  • AllearsAllears Posts: 519 Member
    Theme: A Dining room for a small family celebrating Christmas in a particular country
    Gallery name: Australian Christmas
    Gallery link: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/F612EBD5061B11E9889AB573E4FD424D?category=rooms&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=SassiLassi&max=50&maxis=false
    Origin ID: SassiLassi

On December 25, when Christmas rolls around, it's summertime in Australia. The kids are out of school for summer vacation and the weather is usually hot. On Christmas eve, the children know that Santa will come, arriving in his big sleigh drawn by 6 white boomers (large kangaroos), and leave toys for them under the tree. Presents are opened Christmas morning. Many people prepare a big feast of roasted turkey or leg of lamb, with all the trimmings, for Christmas dinner. But since the 90's it's becoming more of a trend to spend the day with family and friends outside, swimming and playing water games, followed by throwing some prawns on the barbeque for their Christmas dinner. Adding to the prawns is usually other seafood, maybe some sliced cold meats, salads and fruit - melons and cherries are a special favorite.

4NEU0Wm.png

gSGqV2q.png

BcVzKAy.png

qSh5Sb6.png

RLdgVfh.png

t3vGO4T.png

7NcbbHP.png

P0DC7zo.png
    Check out my homes on the Gallery
    EA ID SassiLassi
    Gallery Link SassiLassi
    Very nice Australian themed Christmas dining room! @Allears :) It is great that it is outdoors as it suits well the Summer Christmas season in Australia and the Australian lifestyle. It was very nice reading the background details that you wrote about Christmas in Australia. It is great that the circular dining table has been used, and that there are sunny yellow casual dining chairs for Sims to sit on and enjoy eating a meal. It reflects the sunshine weather. The candles are a nice touch on top of the table. They will enjoy cooking and eating food that has been casually cooked on the bbq. It is good that there is an Australian esky there too, for getting a drink. Surfin Santa and Sandy the Snowmen look great in the room! The garlands and wreath on the windows look festively nice, and the Christmas tree looks very pretty! Very nice sofa seats sitting area for chatting after their meal. It looks very nice how you have designed the corner nooks with Sandy Snowman, Australian green plants, white Christmas flowers, and a nice festive Christmas wreath on the fencing. Sims will enjoy watching the birds coming to feed on the seed feeder. It is great that there are sports equipment there ready to play some family sporting games on Christmas Day afternoon.
    It is a very nice outdoors dining room for Sims to enjoy celebrating Christmas in Australia. Thankyou very much for entering this week’s challenge :)
  • AlJayAlJay Posts: 1,655 Member
    Thank you @rosemow for your nice comments :)
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,226 Member
    Theme for the week: A Dining room for a small family celebrating Christmas in a particular country.
    Gallery name of room : Feliz Navidad

Origin id: TresaofPern
    A small Mexican themed dining room, though in my experience, this room is more likely to be used on Christmas day, after the big party held Christmas Eve in whichever relative's house was the largest. Lots of red and gold décor, candles, garlands and wreaths are what I'm used to. Christmas dinner might include ham, but there will also be Spanish rice and tamales. Presents from visiting relatives are opened after dinner, and possibly after carols. The family knows their gifts to each other will be waiting for them under the tree the next morning.
    Pictures of the room:
    9aB1gO9.png

CrZVkYN.png
    A wall of Christmas cars fromt he family
    O95swM0.png
    TDZ8bHb.png
    vT7eU9N.png

image.png
  • AllearsAllears Posts: 519 Member
    Thanks so much @rosemow ! :) This was a very interesting challenge <3
    Check out my homes on the Gallery
    EA ID SassiLassi
    Gallery Link SassiLassi
    edited December 2018
    Feliz Navidad is a very nice dining room for celebrating Christmas in Mexico @SimTresa :) It was great reading what you wrote about how Christmas is celebrated in Mexico. Very nice furnishing of the room! The red and gold festive garlands around the windows looks very nice, and it is nice that there are rows of stringed up Christmas cards on the wall which have been lovingly received from family. The row of hanging Christmas decorations on the wall is festively nice. It looks great that there are two entrances/exit archways to the room, and the festive green with red bows curtains around them looks very nice. It is nice that a Christmas wreath has been placed on the wall between the arches. The wooden crockery cabinets and scenic wall picture look nice and homely. It looks very nice the way that the dining table has been set up in the middle of the room with place settings, ready for Sims to enjoy their Christmas meal. The candles are a nice touch on the table top. The red colour of the dining chairs looks nice and festive.
    It is a very nice dining room for celebrating Christmas! Thank you very much for entering this week’s challenge :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top