Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which do you use to run your Sims 3 game?

I hope this is an ok poll question to ask...

Since I'm getting a new computer for Christmas (Woop woop! :smiley: ) I have a 3 options on how I could run my Sims 3 game from here on out. :blush: (Actually 2 options because one is out of the question for me. :p )

I already know which route I want to go, but now I am super curious as to where each of you run your Sims 3 game from.
So, please make your selection below. :mrgreen:
(And let's keep the comments nice and happy so we don't risk getting the thread closed. :) Thanks! )
52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg

Which do you use to run your Sims 3 game? 96 votes

Through Origin
39%
HejixGoodywoodStormkeepGraceyManorMamaSimTeePuddinroyalejandro15039zagboorulesjillbgChanticoCary1213Samantha323becomingjennLunBeautySindocatbecks1112lovespandas1TreyNutzNelora10xxnearlyperfectx 38 votes
Through Steam
13%
dreamerz13Silverofdreams30igazorlanlynPurplepiper767r0b0tman5CharlottesmomKevinL5275SunnyyesjamspuzzlezaddictEvie0602AuroraskiesSatanu_Reeves 13 votes
Through Disks
46%
nickibitswardRflong7CeleSeraphymJessa_DakkarAmphoraAnmirlaApparentlyAwesomeSemaviLadyemorrillJoAnne65cwaddellmlmeadowsSimplyJenGabbyGirlJlisasc360starguru06Bon06gamerplaya94AlexaKryKarritz 45 votes

Comments

• GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    Through Disks
    Heck, I even have some of the store worlds in disk form. Thats how much I looove disks :p
    My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    Through Disks
    Goulsquash wrote: »
    Heck, I even have some of the store worlds in disk form. Thats how much I looove disks :p

I have a couple of them too. :blush:
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Through Origin
    I used to run through Steam, but then started buying EPs at Origin sales. I've thought about moving over to Steam again, but even at $5 a pop, repurchasing all the Origin EPs and SPs I own would not be that cheap for me. And it would mean reinstalling the game and probably downloading and reinstalling all my Store content. Origin install, even with 1.69, just isn't that troublesome enough to motive me to move back to Steam. It would be nice to skip the launcher though. :)
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    Through Origin
    Actually it is both Origin and disks. The problem is, that I'm still missing an EP and one stuff pack that refuses to download through Origin, so be careful!
    NymlADp.jpg
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    Through Origin
    Origin though I would prefer steam.
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited December 2018
    Through Steam
    Steam :mrgreen:.

I've gone all routes. I miss my discs most of all. Origin and I are not friends lol, so I really don't miss it. I like steam though.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Through Disks
    I didn't install everything in my game from disks. Some of them were by download from Origin, before they changed it so you can have to play through Origin. That is something I will never do. So to make sure it would never be necessary, no matter what, I re-bought everything on disk that I'd previously bought by download, including a disk copy of the 2009 base game. I started playing in 2012, with Amazon downloads of the base game, Generations, Ambitions, and High End Loft, so I didn't even have a disk of the base game itself, until I bought the starter pack on sale to get Late Night, for less than I could buy it for on download from Origin. It was expensive, but it was worth it.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Through Disks
    Through disks, on patch 1.67.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    Through Origin
    I like being able to choose which expansion to use without having to install, desinstall.

I don't like Origin telling me how many hours I played. 0.o
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Through Disks
    Through disks. I hated my game running via origin!
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited December 2018
    Through Steam
    Bought the basegame 2014, started playing 2016, started to add EP:s successively 2017. This is the only iteration I have played.
    Am a little curious about CAW but as I understand it it will need Origin to work, but that client seems to be a little unappreciated. If it is possible without inciting too much negativity it would be interesting to know why and why not simmers prefer Origin/Steam/discs.

My own reasons for using steam is just habit, having bought other games from there; and was not even aware of Origins existence. Steam always works well for other games, not that I have a ton though. With Sims 3 it is a bordercase, when problems arose with the install both Steam and EA meant the responsibility was on the other part and I had to find out everything for myself. (It works now).
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Through Disks
    Origin is not even on my computer anymore! Disks all the way.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    Through Disks
    Through my disks, patch 1.67. :mrgreen:
    Am a little curious about CAW but as I understand it it will need Origin to work...
    CAW doesn't need Origin. It's downloaded from the Sims 3 site. :)

• CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    edited December 2018
    Through Steam
    Steam...on my new laptop, Discs (through Origin patched to 1.67 on my old laptop).

In the future I’ll most likely run through Discs (when/if I ever decided I need a desktop), I bought a new copy of the 2009 disc to avoid Origin..I refuse to get 1.69.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Through Disks
    Disks. I like to be in control, play with all my packs and store content loaded at the same time and have access to my game offline.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    Through Disks
    I use disks and am on the 167 patch so I use the version of CAW for that patch and I also play my game very heavily Modded and can skip the launcher as well as disable packs with a game selector tool from MTS.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Through Origin
    Am a little curious about CAW but as I understand it it will need Origin to work,

CAW doesn't need Origin, but it doesn't natively work with the Steam install. I've seen tutorials about getting CAW to work with the Steam version so I think it's possible. IIRC some editing of the registry is required.
  • Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Through Origin
    Origin, for now. I have all disks though, but my base game is newer. My daughter found a used, early base game for me through Amazon. So hopefully I can detach from Origin when I'm ready.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Through Steam
    There is one option I don't see mentioned: an Origin install into mac OS. That also lands players on patch 1.67, with no need for Origin to be running, and no pack selector. That's how I was playing a year ago at this time, before I was introduced to the lovely concept of Bootcamp. Playing TS3 on a mac is all kinds of bad news, and I for one am happy to be done with that mess.

The wonderful people here alerted me to last New Year's Steam sale, so instead of just buying the packs I wanted but didn't own, I went ahead and repurchased everything on Steam for only a few dollars more. And I am so very glad I did—no Origin install for me. I play entirely offline and never even open Steam, and I bypass the launcher unless I'm testing something.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Through Steam
    @Auroraskies CAW will work on a Steam install, provided you're willing to edit your computer's registry. (Make sure to back it up before you start.) Here's how to do it:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=277022926

Also make sure you download the version of CAW for patch 1.67.
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    edited December 2018
    Through Disks
    Through discs, although I´m patched to 1.69, so I can´t bypass the launcher and am forced to have origin installed. I have the 1.69 version of CAW, but it´s kind of wonky and I suspect some origin update to have screwed up my edit in game, ´cause it used to work and now it always crashes.
    I always play offline.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    Through Disks
    Discs. And absolutely nothing to do with Origin :p

The only non disc stuff I have are the Store items. Even with that I find it dicey especially since the store will eventually close someday :/
  • Satanu_ReevesSatanu_Reeves Posts: 402 Member
    Through Steam
    I used to play through steam but got used to using a program called 3booter, which bypasses the launcher, when I played this game on a portal gaming Pc called “gpd win”. On that device, every tiny amount of performance you can squeeze out of it is important but there is likely no benefit to using it on my desktop. Next time I install the game it will likely be through origin as it seems to be easier to get CAW working which I’m becoming increasingly interested in as I play more.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited December 2018
    Through Steam
    @TreyNutz , @puzzlezaddict Thank you, that was very helpful. I will look into it, thanks for the link!
    Edit: yeah I have found this tutorial before, it seemed unsafe to a low-level tech as me. Have anyone tried it?
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    Through Disks
    Thanks for your votes everyone. :)

Ok, I'm gonna ask it...

So those of you who run the game using only disks, and you have Windows 10, did you ever find the Windows 10 updates messing with your game files, as opposed to those who run it through Origin or Steam, or no?
    I've heard some horror stories and I'm just wondering. (Most likely I'm worrying too much because...that's always been me. :pensive: )