Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will Sims 4 Ever Become Free to Play?

I'm only asking this question because at some point they won't be making much profit off the base game, especially considering the fact that they're planning to support development of this game for another 3, possibly more, years. As it is now most of Sims 4 profits are probably coming from pack sales. Also with the recent sale (Sims 4 is on sale for $5 in Canada, that's without that extra 30% off) it seems like they're trying to sell as many copies as possible, more base games means more people buying packs, even without the sale the base game is cheaper than expansion packs. It's pretty clear that they are trying to make the base game as accessible to as many players as possible, and at some point when people aren't willing to spend that much money on a 5 plus year old game, EA's best move would be to make the game a free to play game. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point next year they permanently discount the Sims 4 to be only $20, with frequent sales discounting the game to maybe $10.

What are your opinions? To me it just makes sense to at some point make Sims 4 a free to play game.

Comments

• Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    For me No. When it comes to Free to Play games on our current generation, it means microtransactions. I don't want that to happen into The Sims. I would also want the current model to stay rather than change. The current model is already great for the franchise, and we are actually lucky that this is the only active EA franchise developed inside at EA without microtransactions. I don't want to change the model, and would rather continue base game updates and packs.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited December 2018
    I dont want it to be free play
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited December 2018
    I'm not understanding the concern here? All games get old and very rarely do they become free. That isn't something unique to TS4. And people buy old games all the time. There are still people very actively debating amongst themselves over what pack to buy next for TS3.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    For me No. When it comes to Free to Play games on our current generation, it means microtransactions. I don't want that to happen into The Sims. I would also want the current model to stay rather than change. The current model is already great for the franchise, and we are actually lucky that this is the only active EA franchise developed inside at EA without microtransactions. I don't want to change the model, and would rather continue base game updates and packs.

I would figure that the packs would act as the "micro transactions"
    Cupid wrote: »
    I'm not understanding the concern here? All games get old and very rarely do they become free. That isn't something unique to TS4. And people buy old games all the time. There are still people very actively debating amongst themselves over what pack to buy next for TS3.

Not a concern, just a thought. I just figured since Sims 4 is a game that follows this whole "games as a service" model, and since a lot of games as a service are free to play, it makes sense to me that Sims 4 would one day become free to play if they plan to support this game for a while, and also keep it profitable,
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    "Free to play" typically means a shared world game that doesn't charge a monthly subscription. Not a single player game with add-on content.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    EA will never turn this game into a free to play game. The game has been out awhile now and it’s performed pretty well, any sales of the base game are profit. There aren’t any lingering expenses beyond what they account for patch content. That’s why they can run a deal selling the game for $5 right now. Making the game accessible refers more to what machines can play it, not who can obtain the game. EA isn’t going to go handing out a flagship title for free when they could charge less than a cheap meal and still make money.
  • Options
    Jprp83Jprp83 Posts: 400 Member
    If by free to play you mean something like what they did with sims 2, maybe but we would have to wait quite a while, probably at least a decade.

They do already have sims free to play games on mobile. Don't give them ideas.
  • Options
    TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    It won't be until maybe sims 6 or sims 7.
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    It practically is free to play, given how often they discount/bundle the base game. I don't think the predecessors have had as many big sales throughout their lifespan.