Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gameplay : how do you choose which expansion to use on a save?

I have all the expansions, but the game is "challenged" when I use them all. So, I always start with the base game (or expansion if I want to use a particular world) then add expansions depending of the needs of my family (generation, if they have children, showtime if they want to be stars, etc.) In Sims 2, I waited one generation before adding an expansion... But I ended never playing the latest expansion...

What is your system to "maximize" but keep a smooth gameplay?
I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...

Comments

• TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I use them all, plus all the Stuff Packs, and a lot of store content. I'm fortunate that my computer runs them well. The biggest challenge for me is running NRaas StoryProgression and a host of other mods. It also depends a great deal on the world I play in, the resident population, size of my household, etc.
    Hejix wrote: »
    I have all the expansions, but the game is "challenged" when I use them all.

If you are referring to a comment in the Launcher about running too many EPs, you can disregard that. Everyone gets that message. We each have to judge for ourselves how many EPs our computers can run at once.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I watch out for "big footprint" expansions, like Seasons and Pets, and only enable those when I am specifically playing with those. I'd include World Adventures as well, but it has so many useful LTRs (Inappropriate in a Good Way, No Jealousy) that it's harder for me to turn off.

But between Seasons and Pets, it is one or the other. This laptop is really only just barely up to running TS3, and I think I do well to run as many expansions as I do. Supernatural, Late Night, University Life, Generations and Ambitions are all must-haves for me. Showtime and Into the Future are the only two I don't yet have.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    On the EPs, it's All Eleven All the Time, Baby! (I should really get this on a tee shirt, but likely no one but me would ever know what it means...) Besides enjoying having all of them always available, on a Steam install there are no convenient ways to suppress any of them once they are installed. But yes, one's system does need to be strong enough to be up to the task.

How to maintain smooth gameplay involves a lot of different things and will differ greatly according to system strength and play style. But perhaps this page helps?
    https://www.nraas.net/community/TIPS-FOR-BETTER-GAME-PERFORMANCE
    (newly updated and reformatted for easier reading)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    I got a new computer, I thought the game couldn't run with all the expansions. With my old computer, it took 15 minutes to open and it often crashed, it was ridiculous. And top graphics are important for me, I am a screenshot addict. Oh well, I'll give it a try then. ;) Do you all run your game with top graphics?
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Do you all run your game with top graphics?

No. I keep Tree Detail and Waters & Mirrors to the 2nd highest setting. I don't see enough difference between the 2 top settings with Mirrors & Water to keep it maxed. I also keep high detail lots at the lowest setting I can stomach.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2018
    Agreed on Water & Mirrors and High Detail Lots, those two can be huge performance drains. As for the quality on sims and objects, for me that varies as to which world I am playing and how stressful its population is to the game engine; that's not very scientific or anything, but some of my worlds/households run much heavier than others. Most of the other settings I have on high or pretty high.

But my simming computer is seven years old now. It was suitable but mid-range (by TS3 standards) to begin with. It's never going to run like a more recent top of the line system and my graphics card is again suitable for TS3 but not what I would call high-end.

@Hejix - What kind of specs (processor, RAM, graphics card) does this new computer of yours have? Even if just off the assembly line yesterday, some systems are just not designed to handle the heavier EPs well, some will not do well with the game at all, others of course can take on a much heavier load.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    I use all my expansions and all my stuff packs at once.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    I play from disks which allows me to have all expansions and store content loaded all of the time. As a builder I would find being restricted to a couple of expansions would be both limiting and frustrating.

There are plenty of mods to help with smooth gameplay but I would start with the basics. Does your computer have sufficient specs and a decent enough graphics card to cope with more than one expansion pack at a time ? Bearing in mind TS3 is now an old programme it might also be worth looking at your graphics settings. Both W8 and W10 computers may need some graphic setting adjustment to reduce both rendering and stuttering.

I would also recommend backing up your game regularly against the day when the computer challenges you and then says no.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I’ve got them all installed as well, without issues fortunately. I have played them all from their release date though, so one by one in chronological order.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I just got a new HP laptop 3 months ago (my Dell laptop battery died and I couldn't wait to try to get a new battery or send it off to see what was actually wrong with it). I just got all the Sims 3 expansions back in a massive Origin sale last month so I will see how it runs now that I actually have time to play. It runs Sims 4 and all packs I own, as well as TS2 UC, very well on high graphics with a few hiccups in Sims 2.
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    I run my game with maxed graphics, all the EP's and stuff packs and a ridiculous amount of CC and mods. I also own the store and have it all installed. I go through the little ceremony of deleting all the cashes every time I exit the game, though...
    NymlADp.jpg
    I guess it's more an old habit of mine to play with limited expansions. Back in the Sims 1, I remember watching my sim in Hot Date spending 15 minutes paying money to the cashier. It was sloooooow. I get angry at Sims 4 to not let me pick the expansions I want.
  • AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    I play with 10 EP’s and if I remember right four SP’s along with about 3/4 of the Store and of course the requisite CC that I need for my gameplay desires :p

But all that’s about to change because I ordered me a new laptop that can hopefully play all 11 EP’s on ultra settings and I can finally have pets in my game that wouldn’t scare small children :D
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    edited December 2018
    My desktop is a bit overkill for simming so it can handle all packs. I don't play with all of my store content installed anymore. I just install stuff as I need it instead. Same goes for my collection of CC & mods. Not because of performance but because it's a lot easier to find things.

Right now I'm only playing with 7 EPs & 6 SPs because of a challenge. I'll admit I'm spoiled having maxed/ultra graphic settings. The only thing lowered is High Detail Lots so the game doesn't have to render all of the surrounding lots.
    I guess it's more an old habit of mine to play with limited expansions. Back in the Sims 1, I remember watching my sim in Hot Date spending 15 minutes paying money to the cashier. It was sloooooow. I get angry at Sims 4 to not let me pick the expansions I want.
    Theres a way to disable packs with the Origin client. Guide here: http://simscommunity.info/2017/03/22/the-sims-4-how-to-disable-packs/
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    @Amphora Pets that wouldn't scare small children. XD

@SimplyJen You can disable them in Sims 4 too? Nice. They kept auto-installing in the background and it was quite annoying.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    I always use off of the Expansion and Stuff Packs. I have it all installed so that's what I use. Also I have a heap of mods and all of the store content that was available.