Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How many saved games do you have?

How many saved games do you have? Do you backup lots of games?
I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...

Comments

• TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I have 14 in my current save folder. I keep at least 4 backups of running games (more when my sims travel) and regularly prune older backups. I always use Save As and append a number to the save, recycling when I've got 4 backups. (Nraas Saver helps here.)

I probably have 70-100 other saves backed up here and there in different folders. Some are older games, some are worlds I've customize and may use again someday.
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    I have 10 saved games, I need to go and clean some up, I always keep 2 back ups of each game.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Very few at the moment because I am busy with a CAW project and have removed most of my store content to get EIG to work. Without that content the computer would automatically substitute missing iterms the first time I opened a saved game. It would be an absolute nightmare replacing it all. So most of my saved games are backed up to an external HDD ready for when my CAW project is finished and I can reinstall store content.

I would recommend saving favourite games to an external medium regularly. I believe also that once you delete a game from the current games folder the game does keep a back up copy. It does this for every game you have played since you installed the programme. Always useful to know if you want to resurrect a game to find a favourite sim family or build.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I play just one game, but I always save as and number the files, so there are many save games in the folder (I move them to Documents occasionally). But they are all from the same family.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    edited December 2018
    Hmm...when I played TS3 maybe 5 or 6. I didn't even back them up. I just overwrote my saves. Serves me right though because I used to play on a family computer and my brother was "organizing" files on the computer...by name search...and dumping everything with the proper name to the proper person's labelled folder. And guess what had my name in them? My saves (my sister also played). And guess what ended up in the wrong location and was moved around a bunch and eventually wouldn't work anymore and we're not really sure what happened? My saves. Haven't played TS3 since, I was so heartbroken. Always back up your saves 😭
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    I scrapped so many saves in my sim history... Once, I had 30 saves of different families I was playing in parallel. I can't do rotations, except in Sims 2. But I can't play only one family at a time. And I always have that clean state wish, I delete everything and I start again. ;P You guys are so tidy!
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I have 37 saves, 6 of those are with sims in gameplay, the rest are my "base" saves for edited worlds. I often make changes to worlds to my liking, such as adding and removing lots, or putting down festival lots ( without ever having played in them with sims ) and then I save that world to use as a base for future sims, so I don't have to continually re-edt worlds over and over.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • AlexaKryAlexaKry Posts: 2,706 Member
    If you mean by saved games how many families or towns I´m playing: just 1 family, but they travel a lot. But I save as, so this game has 11 consecutively saves in my saves folder. I`ll have to put one or two of them onto one of my external drives to save them permanently so that I can always go back to a previous save if something goes wrong with the most recent save. And at the external drives I have saves from the last few years.
  • AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    Ten at most. Very likely less, but not sure as I haven’t been in game for a few days.

I have around three to four saves which are ‘base’ saves where I am editing different towns to my own preferences. That way, if I ever want to play in that ‘hood, all I have to do is plop in the sims and then can play in a customized world without the hassle of editing it all from scratch again.

The rest are random gameplay saves. One for my legacy family and the other for my crazy supernatural gameplay save. Lol
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited December 2018
    I keep my save files separated into different game folders and swap them out as needed. So I have three different saves/folders but I keep at least 4 backups for each save file at all times. Also a 'Base' folder with my must-have staple mods for whenever I start a new game folder.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited December 2018
    Way too many... I ended up with at least 60 saves on my "Selfacy" (mainly so I could go back to any point...and replay a section). Each save can take anywhere from 11MB to 200MB or more. Depending on how long you play a save for. It's not uncommon for saves to reach into the GB range before eventually corrupting. So plenty of "save as" saves is the way to go to ensure that you can always retrieve at least a section of your game and not lose too much of your game-play.

I need a new backup hard-drive. Will probably look for a 4TB hard-drive in the near future. Saw one for $129.99 :mrgreen:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Too many to count. I have saves of old games I put on hold for one reason or another, in a separate folder where I keep all files related to the game, including backups of all store content, library items, saved sims, mods and CC and their zip files, CAW project files, and more. I also have several game folders, one for each of the lifespan settings I like to play with, each of which has games saved to them, and one for CAW (for Edit In Game). Besides that, I have saves of my build & edit world (a large, blank, flat map with nothing on it that I exported from CAW for building and preparing residents for custom worlds), where I've placed library items so I can go through them, weed out duplicates and things I don't need or want anymore, then re-save them and give the files names so I know what they are when I look in the library folder. So I probably have hundreds of saves on my computer and on my removable storage hard drive. I really need to get them weeded out, but most of the time I'd rather play than do that, so that's a work in progress that may never get done.
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member

I had a lot, but I deleted them and now I only have 2. Clean slate, I mostly only play one family at a time, but I would also like to start a single sim. maybe adopt a kid when he Is older and go from there. or a criminal, I am not sure.
  • PastelMermaidPastelMermaid Posts: 1,298 Member
    3 - my test house when I first got sims 4.. my irl game when I have my simself and friends.. my family/generation save
    tumblr_nvqukkenkr1udwsc5o7_250.gif

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    edited December 2018
    Many games with many copies of them.

I don't use "save as". Instead when I start a Sims 3 session I make a copy of the game I'm going to play increasing the number and play that new copy. For example if I'm playing a game in Sunset Valley with a household named Summers I would make a copy of SV-Summers3 and call it SV-Summers4 and I would play that. That way everything from my last session is saved and I can always go back to it if I want to.

Periodically I will clean out the older versions of the game. Also I will go into the Sims 3/Saves folder and remove all the folders with the ".backup" extension that don't have a corresponding folder. For example if I had deleted the SV-Summers3 game that folder would no longer be in the Saves folder but the SV-Summers3.backup folder would still be there. So I would remove it too.
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @cwaddell That sounds like an interesting way to do it! Is there a reason why you do it this way instead of using save as? Is there some benefit that I am unaware of?
    I do a new save as every time I load my save so I, too, can go back to any particular session but if your method is better I am willing to give it a go.
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    I think I have 6 right now but will ditch a few of them when I start playing again.
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    @cwaddell That sounds like an interesting way to do it! Is there a reason why you do it this way instead of using save as? Is there some benefit that I am unaware of?
    I do a new save as every time I load my save so I, too, can go back to any particular session but if your method is better I am willing to give it a go.

I don't know of any particular benefit. I think I started that when I first started playing longer games. Because I started playing on an IMac I would have sessions that would crash and not have a chance to save at the end. So it was a way to do a preemptive save. Then throughout a session I would do just a save cause I knew it was only overwriting the new copy.
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    edited December 2018
    OMG! :o This is the kind of post that is scary when you actually go into your saves folder and check... :# Must say that usually I never have more than 5 or 6. But now, as I have juggled with picture contests and stuff, lo and behold - 48!!! :cold_sweat:
    NymlADp.jpg
    Lol. I realized the game took longer to load when there were many saves. Like a lot longer, at least on my old computer. Too bad, because I liked to have many!
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    @Hejix I have a folder in My Documents, called Sims 3 Files. In a sub-directory called Saves, I keep all that I am not currently playing. When the time comes that I want to play one of those, I'll move it to the Sims 3 folder. That's a way that you can have those many saves you like without it slowing down loading your game.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2018
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    @Hejix I have a folder in My Documents, called Sims 3 Files. In a sub-directory called Saves, I keep all that I am not currently playing. When the time comes that I want to play one of those, I'll move it to the Sims 3 folder. That's a way that you can have those many saves you like without it slowing down loading your game.
    This.

I have easily over 150 saved copies of my long-running game plus all kinds of assorted testing and mod development testing game saves. But not in the live game folder, in there I only allow around 8-10 at a time and keep the others elsewhere (and as spare backup copies) for when I later might want to load them up.

There is also a limit, it's over 50 somewhere but it seems to vary by player, as to how many saves in the actual live Saves folder can display on the game selector screen. After a while, over that limit, newly added game saves are no longer reachable unless some are removed or deleted first.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    My in-game save folder has 3 right now. I swap save folders in and out of it as needed and keep the total in that folder to 5 or fewer.

Externally, I currently have 42 unique save games plus multiple back-ups. They’re a mix of live mode games, edited versions of worlds, saves where I only build and a few I use only for testing.

There are some I haven’t opened in years; the oldest save file in there is from 2013. No idea what it is since I can’t puzzle out the name I gave it! :blush::lol:
    As I said, you guys are so tidy! I might try that (but knowing myself, will start from scratch before loading back a new game...). I tried backing up saves in Sims 2, and when I put it back, sims were missing, I think some were in the wrong houses, etc. Lol. It went really really badly. I never tried since that day. ;)
  • coolsim9999999coolsim9999999 Posts: 5,085 Member
    I have 10 game save files B)!
    4kkjdXo.png

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top