Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pool Lots

Is there any reason to have a pool lot in the game?

Seems to me, Sims can go swimming at a gym.

Is there ANY function to this lot?

If anyone includes them, can you tell me the pros?

Comments

• AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited December 2018
    I have a pool lot where I send my sims during heatwaves to chill and cool down. The lot itself doesn't add anything special and pools need more love from the devs but I couldn't imagine playing in summer without said lot now. My sims seem to love going there and it's good for families, or for teens to hang out, or anyone really.
    I get them to swim, slide, bbq, play with sprinkles, water balloon fights, and so on.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • PastelMermaidPastelMermaid Posts: 1,298 Member
    I found an insane looking "water park" on the gallery and it just looks cool. Sims have bbqs and hang out as a family here - I wouldn't say theres a perk to them but it's a cool and sometimes fun place to hang out instead of a park
    tumblr_nvqukkenkr1udwsc5o7_250.gif

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    I think pool lots are the only lots where townies will use pools autonomously. Gyms originally did not have programming for pools, they might have added that in or chose to use a dedicated pool lot instead. In general you can eliminate it without any consequences, all activities there are available other places. It’s mostly just a hangout for clubs, there’s no new gameplay side from the diving board which is available other locations as well.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    I have two pool lots in my game, one is a upscale indoor/outdoor public swimming pool with adult entertainment facilities as well, bar, dj booth, dance floor. The other is an outdoorsy natural looking pool with some other outdoorsy things to do, like picnic tables, campfires, etc. that I set as a teen hangout.

I think the main purpose of it depends on how you approach gameplay. I like to have a world for my sims to experience, and in the world there are places to swim that are not gyms and reasons to go swimming that aren't related to getting fit.

The main "pro" I would say is that AI behaviour of sims that you do not control is determined by the lot type, so on a gym lot, pools won't get used much by the AI, whereas on a pool lot they do. Additionally, what non-active sims are generated to come to the lot is determined by lot type, pools will get children as well as adults, for example.

If you approach the game more in terms of "i need objects x, y and z for my sims to gain skills a, b and c", and couldn't care less about what other non-active sims come and what they do, then a pool lot type doesn't really serve a purpose.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • IyasenuIyasenu Posts: 325 Member
    Children don't seem to go to a Gym on their own.

I've made a Pool lot, and often times when I go there, Child Sims will file in to play at the Pool.

It can be a good place for your Children to make friends and work on their Motor skills.

I don't know if it's a good idea to have a Pool lot loaded during Cold Weather though.
    Not sure if townies are smart enough to not dive into a Pool when it's cold out and they're at a Pool-type Lot.
  • drbelangerdrbelanger Posts: 57 Member
    edited December 2018
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    I have two pool lots in my game, one is a upscale indoor/outdoor public swimming pool with adult entertainment facilities as well, bar, dj booth, dance floor.

Does the AI dynamically assign bar tenders and disk jockeys at a pool?

I ask this because Bath de Rille seems a wasted lot. I am VERY close to turning it into a night club, bar, or maybe restaurant and throwing an indoor pool thing, or maybe a water park as @PastelMermaid suggested into Newcrest or something.

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    @drbelanger I'm not sure; I have a mod that handles assignments of jobs like that and I have used the mod for so long that I cannot recall what the default game behaviour is.

Edit to add: I'd disable mods and go check, but it is freezing outside in my game atm....and I don't dare visit a pool lot when it's freezing out. lol
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    @drbelanger I'm not sure; I have a mod that handles assignments of jobs like that and I have used the mod for so long that I cannot recall what the default game behaviour is.

Edit to add: I'd disable mods and go check, but it is freezing outside in my game atm....and I don't dare visit a pool lot when it's freezing out. lol

Lol, freeze em!!! Can a sim die from exposure from swimming in winter? This will have to be investigated (evil grin)!
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I tend to think that a pool in a gym would be indoors for year round use, whereas a pool alone might be outside for fun in the sun with the family.
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I tend to think that a pool in a gym would be indoors for year round use, whereas a pool alone might be outside for fun in the sun with the family.

I am thinking of making a dual season water park. We shall see.
  • fallenangel66fallenangel66 Posts: 294 Member
    I added "Simoreal Day" in early summer, "Simdependence Day" in midsummer, and "Simlabor Day" in late summer, all of which have the travel/vacation, barbecue, drink, and water fun requirements. So yes I have a pool lot that gets lots of use in summer. Plus I alter the number of vacation days for teens and children so they have enough to take summers off.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,389 Member
    I love pool lots but they'd be better if we had more pool items like pool slides and pool waterfalls.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Pool lots to me only seem to function best for cooling off during the Summer now; that and where to find lots of children or elders.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited December 2018
    Have a community pool in Oasis Springs. Sims don't if not rarely ever use the pool at a gym.

Made a Leisure Day holiday and it's really great. Sims BBQing, children coming to th epool lot and swimming as well as using the slip n' slide there ( a good use for it), sims even use the hot tubs on these lots as well. Bartenders don't spawn on these lots and I assume DJ's won't either as you'll have to hire one (or if you use mods use LittleMsSams lot trait for NPC's to appear to bartender, entertain, etc).

Definitely busy here throughout the day til night. As well as sims dancing to the stereo on the lot.
    Scheduled a birthday party at a pool lot and it went just like this with sims interacting and just having fun on this lot. I like it. Just had my sim bring a birthday cake since this lot doesn't have a kitchen just a grill. Had 14 sims on this lot alone.
    2bNHwIF.png
    gaU3CIO.png
    g6fXN4U.png
    5vJrxmT.png
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Every time I build a pool lot it gets overrun by kids.
    So_Money wrote: »
    Every time I build a pool lot it gets overrun by kids.

Had one evening like that where my sim went to pool and there was like four kids plus one elder on a saturday. During the daytime during school hours I don't ever see any kids.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • SimsFinest1SimsFinest1 Posts: 326 Member
    My Sims rarely use the gym pool so it is helpful to have a dedicated lot. If you have Seasons EP it helps for keeping cool in the summer and throwing some cool pool parties!
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    Have a community pool in Oasis Springs. Sims don't if not rarely ever use the pool at a gym.

Made a Leisure Day holiday and it's really great. Sims BBQing, children coming to th epool lot and swimming as well as using the slip n' slide there ( a good use for it), sims even use the hot tubs on these lots as well. Bartenders don't spawn on these lots and I assume DJ's won't either as you'll have to hire one (or if you use mods use LittleMsSams lot trait for NPC's to appear to bartender, entertain, etc).

Definitely busy here throughout the day til night. As well as sims dancing to the stereo on the lot.
    Scheduled a birthday party at a pool lot and it went just like this with sims interacting and just having fun on this lot. I like it. Just had my sim bring a birthday cake since this lot doesn't have a kitchen just a grill. Had 14 sims on this lot alone.
    2bNHwIF.png
    gaU3CIO.png
    g6fXN4U.png

is this on the gallery? what's the lot name?

"wahoo" - aquaman

Yep, this one is on the gallery! Calico Community Pool by silrosse

I love it because they have the whole thing set up for all sims to be able to enjoy being there even toddlers if you have Seasons as there's a little section with sprinklers and a toddler pool in a colorful playful area and across of that a small area if you bring your pet that has a bowl, mat and toys.
    5vJrxmT.png
    LadyKyn wrote: »

Yep, this one is on the gallery! Calico Community Pool by silrosse

I love it because they have the whole thing set up for all sims to be able to enjoy being there even toddlers if you have Seasons as there's a little section with sprinklers and a toddler pool in a colorful playful area and across of that a small area if you bring your pet that has a bowl, mat and toys.

that's what attracted me to it in your photos, I love lots that have everyone in mind

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Before seasons it was a fun family lot to take my Sims. After seasons it's a fun family lot to take my Sims in the summer.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Nekomata19Nekomata19 Posts: 105 Member
    Yeah, after getting Seasons and then Get Famous I use pools and pool lots more often. Del Sol Valley seems to be constantly in a heat wave in my game (but maybe that's normal?), so it's almost essential since my Simself isn't exactly rich yet, lol.
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I would do a pool lot if I were to make a high end pool and maybe include a hot tub. My game needs a little more recreation.
  • KalopsianDreamerKalopsianDreamer Posts: 183 Member
    I use pool lots similar to parks, naturally they tend to be visited more in the summer than any other season, however. Generally I attempt to make pool lots function with all the requirements needed for a park, but one that also happens to have a pool.
    ĆØΜ€ ŦØ ŦĦ€ ĆŘΔŦ€Ř - ΜØŦĦ€Ř ĆΔŁŁŞ ¥ØỮ ĦØΜ€
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    It would be cool if you could "close" an outdoor pool by clicking on it and a cover appears.