Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Careers you don't play?

13...Next

Comments

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I don't give sims a criminal career anymore, but I on the same note I have tried that career when the game first came out like an experiment of sorts. Oddly when GTW came out I tried the police job and got annoyed that my criminal career sim never once crossed paths with my detective or was ever suspected of anything. I did not like the disconnect that I felt should have been there and wasn't - as in real life people with a criminal background are a detectives first suspects in certain crimes - so it annoyed me enough to remove that sim from my game and never give that Criminal career another chance. I also ceased the Detectives job when I keep thinking how suspects were always disconnected from the game play - just like sickness in game is disconnected from the hospital and doctors job - so because of the design of the game I stopped having sims become criminals, detectives/police and even doctors.

If they have no real use on the sims I play then I don't use them. I do play the science career - as that problem does not exist in the science career and many of my workers even are from my other households now that GF updates fouled up that career for me by cancelling all game assigned co-workers. Once I figured out how to assign co-workers from my played sims now - it is better - but plants are still messed up at the science center -

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• drbelangerdrbelanger Posts: 57 Member
    I never got around to playing either of the social media careers. If I feel I want an object for a household, I will play the corresponding career. To a certain point, I do enjoy playing the game. Mostly, I cheat to debug a sim, cas.fulleditmode, or moo. Otherwise, imo, seems no point to owning the game other than building houses all day.

The Detective job is bugged all to hell, and as such, I avoid it like the plague. It is too bad to. It would be a lot of fun otherwise.
  • TomatplanteTomatplante Posts: 2,793 Member
    My gameplay is pretty career focused, so I've done most of the career branches several times - including owning businesses. But there are two base game careers I've only ever tried once: secret agent and criminal. I've also barely touched on the gardening career from Seasons yet, as well as actor and style influencer.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I bypass many careers. Guess I'm a bit grounded in realism when it comes to that.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    drbelanger wrote: »
    I never got around to playing either of the social media careers. If I feel I want an object for a household, I will play the corresponding career. To a certain point, I do enjoy playing the game. Mostly, I cheat to debug a sim, cas.fulleditmode, or moo. Otherwise, imo, seems no point to owning the game other than building houses all day.

The Detective job is bugged all to hell, and as such, I avoid it like the plague. It is too bad to. It would be a lot of fun otherwise.

What bugs are you referring to? Most of them seem to have been resolved over the course of several patches. I've played a couple of detectives since the period of time when they couldn't ID a suspect or whatever that was. It's one of my favorite careers, in fact. This is not to say there aren't still bugs that I'm just not aware of, but it might be worth trying again.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I've never done the criminal, secret agent, critic, politician, business or several others.

I've done the scientist career from gtw and sent a few sims that way just because it's actually a very fun career! As for the doctor/detective, I haven't had a sim complete either one yet. Maybe some day.

I'm currently trying out the style influencer. TBH, most of my sims don't have actual careers. I like them to work on other things without the structure/goals of the careers in the game.

• bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    One of the worst things they put in the game was the money tree. I have sims who are filthy rich and probably going to readjust their household funds. :p

Favorites include, scientist, tech guru, culinary, business, entertainer (musician), astronaut and least liked, politics, criminal, doctor, secret agent.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    Never played the scientist career until the other day. I went with my Sim once, but I have no desire to play again. I will let him stay in the career though because he's a brainiac like his mama.

Never tried astronaut or secret agent either. IMO there aren't enough regular 9-5 jobs that everyday ppl have that come with the game, so I use several career mods that add realism to my game. When are any of my Sims going to be 007? Never.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    One of the worst things they put in the game was the money tree. I have sims who are filthy rich and probably going to readjust their household funds. :p

Favorites include, scientist, tech guru, culinary, business, entertainer (musician), astronaut and least liked, politics, criminal, doctor, secret agent.

When did the money tree come in? It was just recent wasn't it? I'm just curious. It's not something I will use and I didn't like it in S2 either.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    I've probably had a sim in the beginning levels of every career...but I switch around a lot on my families, so no one ever completes any. :D The highest I've gotten is level 9 in the chef career. It would've been 10, but my elder primary spouse in my legacy family died. I pleaded with the reaper and got him back for one day, and if he'd completed the work day and not died in the midst of it, he probably would've gotten the promotion. Aghhh.

Anyway I pick that one a lot since I feel like it's easier to move up the ranks because I make my Sims cook at home anyway. Most of them end up with higher cooking skills, so might as well make money off of it. I also use Business a lot. It's sort of my default. Like if I want sims who focus on other things but I don't want to play them everyday and need them out of the house, they work in the Business career. I've mastered Painter as well. I've hardly used most of them since I view these ones as the easiest for my playing style, which is a shame. I'm trying to branch out more. I've made it maybe halfway through the Writer, Tech, and Detective careers. The rest I've barely touched. And I don't think I've ever even had someone employed as a Secret Agent, as cool as it sounds.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Think the only one I haven't really play played was astronaut. Usually I always assign jobs to sims that would fit with their overall personality and how they are.

Maybe I should make a astronaut cowboy. :joy:
    5vJrxmT.png
  • idoliseidolise Posts: 9 New Member
    I rarely play the astronaut, criminal, entertainer or secret agent career. I feel like you need a certain type of sim for those once and i have a tendency to play a realistic family based game. Although i want to make more of an effort to play them, i do have a few kid sims who im planning to go into those careers when they age up
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2018
    idolise wrote: »
    I rarely play the astronaut, criminal, entertainer or secret agent career. I feel like you need a certain type of sim for those once and i have a tendency to play a realistic family based game. Although i want to make more of an effort to play them, i do have a few kid sims who im planning to go into those careers when they age up

I have an Uncle that went into the Astronaut profession years ago out of Cape Canaveral and I think he would have been highly insulted by anyone calling it a non-realistic career as he was is as much of a realist as one can get. I mean he entire service career was based on being an astronaut and exploring the world beyond our earth. He was very scientific minded and very much into foresight and finding possibly more planet in the throes of becoming earthlike for all humanity. If he had any belief he was looking for aliens - well I never heard that in fact he called it nonsense even though I argued how could he believe in that massive Universe we are the only living things. He said I was talking nonsense. So a realist he was very much one and he saw the importance of exploring space not for any reason but learning and for the people here and our future.

He did excuse me for my age - at the time I was 13 and actually got a week-end at space camp at Cape Canaveral thanks to my Uncle. It was - interesting but I got sick to my stomach a lot when they let us experience what it feels like to be in a space ship. Not fun - to me anyway. A lot of the other kids had fun. But yes to at least many people Astronaut is not fantasy or unrealistic. Tell that to the astronout on the space station and all the many who have traveled through space. It is the future what they do now - or we may not have a future too far ahead - it is as realistic as it comes.

ETA -My Uncle was part of the program his entire service career and always hoped to go into space - unfortunately they always had to many astronauts and not enough trips to offer them all a chance to go into space. He was with in range to finally go - just months shy of the USA stopping the space program and retiring the shuttle - my Uncle was devastated.

He is in the group of astronauts trying hard to get our space program refunded and reinacted with out the aid of other countries but - he will probably never go into space himself now - he is actually retired from the service - but still works to get us back fully into space.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• sennawalessennawales Posts: 192 Member
    Right now there's no reason to choose any teen career other than scouts or drama. Similarly, I wouldn't play any other rabbit hole career. But to go down the list:

Bodybuilder: Sounds boring. That weird bodybuilder belt thing outfit, I would never use.
    Business: I don't like both, but the management branch has nice furniture.
    Criminal: I like the rewards, but not the mean/mischief interactions required.
    Critic: Art critic is too boring and pretentious.
    Gardening: I like the botanist branch too much to try floral designer.
    Social Media: Never played public relations, don't even know what that means.

I've also never played the vet "career", and wouldn't play with retail or restaurants, because they are too much micromanagement. GtW careers are alright, but 5 days a week and such long hours per day means I can only play them when I have a single-sim household.

Acting is the best career right now with the right balance of work time, income, visually interesting and simple tasks, and things to do between gigs. If this was here at the start, I wouldn't play any other career.
  • MissyScabtreeMissyScabtree Posts: 81 Member
    I've never been a fan of ridiculous (to me) careers in Sims :s I've never played through the Astronaut, Athletics, or Criminal/Spy jobs. I did play as a Criminal in S3 once, it fit the story I was progressing for that particular sim.

I'm fond of Culinary, Musician and Doctor careers <3 I've wanted to be a musician or chef in real life since I was little. I'm hoping to pursue a nursing job sometime soon. I also loved the Stylist job from S3, I love fashion a lot and would love to be a designer if I cannot do Nursing.

Other than that I almost always make sims that paint or garden and make money that way. Both of which are also my favorites things to do in real life. :)
    "Silence is the most powerful scream."
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I'm probably placing my personal bias on my sims again, but I pretty much avoid careers that involve evenings and weekends. This especially is true for culinary, spy career, tech guru (gamer branch), and criminal. The spy career starts off ok, and normally would be neat because it turns into mon-thur, but the problem is that you do not get out of work until 7 PM. This is especially true if there are children in the house. I would like everyone to be home by 5 pm.

That's my main criteria: the hours they work. I want my (usually) single mother to be home in time to help with homework. And it's easier to remember when Sims need to get their personal thing together if they're all on the same schedule. I'd really like to see part-time jobs for adults and elders - I often send my self-employed or unemployed single mothers off to volunteer while the kid is at school when I run out of things for them to do at home.

I don't like the active careers at all, except for Scientist (because you can choose not to go to work with your Sim, and they still advance through the career). Also, Scientist has a regular schedule, so that works out well.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    @fullspiral It was added with Seasons and is an aspiration reward. Cost is 5,000 aspiration points and one tree gives about 22k a day once you get it to perfect; it starts at about 10k a day at normal quality.

I just recently put one in myself at the advice of folks in another thread, but am thinking about taking it out...feels too cheaty now that I know how much simoleons it provides for a 1 second click.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • SorenaJSorenaJ Posts: 31 Member
    I have never played astronaut. Mainly because when I play generational play, I usually start out in the 18th or 19th century, and there were no astronauts back then lol. Try to keep it semi-realistic.
  • Nekomata19Nekomata19 Posts: 105 Member
    So far I haven't done Astronaut, Tech Guru, Style Influencer (I want to though), Social Media, Gardener, or Athlete. Most of those are because they don't interest me, but a couple are just ones I haven't gotten around to doing yet. I don't think I'll ever use the athlete career.
  • BilmoBlampkinsBilmoBlampkins Posts: 226 Member
    Trendsetter.
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    bshag4lv wrote: »

Really? I love that thing. I don't use it all the time, but there are some Sims that when I design them, I imagine them being born into money, and the money tree just makes sense.

When I want a Sim's life to be more realistic, I just don't plant it. I also had one household with a goofball of a Sim who never did anything right... until the day he came home with a money tree seed. His roommates suddenly found him very intelligent and helpful. ^_^

I also just discovered you can burn extra money in fireplaces with Get Famous. So quick and easy solution if the funds are getting too high.

I did the Politics career when I was playing the Firelord family from Avatar: The Last Airbender. Because "National Leader" is a fun and appropriate title, and the cause "World United" was even moreso. Also, making supposed monarchs go around and ask for votes was hilarious. :)
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    I’ve never played astronaut. I have about two criminal sims and one secret agent in rotation, but I very rarely play them.
  • Samantha2028Samantha2028 Posts: 6 New Member
    I think a meteorologist career would be fun and another way to earn fame, if only though!
    I kind of miss the interior designer from TS3 I thought that was kind of fun. But I have a sim who is a best selling author, another trying to be a doctor, an actor, a gardener and a cop. I like the realistic careers also. I tried the whole villain thing out and I just don’t really care for it.
  • MilwayLangMilwayLang Posts: 180 Member
    Anything other than playable jobs from GTW EP. I'm just bored waiting for my sims to get home
    Hello, my name is Soop Kreem. You can check my Adams' Family Tree

yh.jpg
  • ohSnapohSnap Posts: 66 Member
    I've not played most of the careers :neutral:
    Until recently, I would start a new game, play for a bit and then get bored and start again. I've never touched the criminal, astronaut, athlete, gardener and secret agent. I think it's because I like to play more realistically but I would like to break out of my self-inflicted box try them at one point!

I've almost competed the detective career but the issues with finding the right suspect mean I'm probably never going to play it again!