Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which expansion pack should I get next?

TinySpaceFoxTinySpaceFox Posts: 1,110 Member
As a reward for doing really well in my final exams, I’ve decided to get me another Sims 3 expansion! :) Listed below are the four expansions that I do not currently own. So now, I’d like your opinion here: which of these do you think offers the richest gameplay? Which of these do you think is worth every gruelling hour that I put into studying instead of Simming?

Have fun, I look forward to hearing from you all!

Which expansion pack should I get next? 50 votes

Generations
24%
IreneSwift60smusicluvrpandabear1836Olivesplum06BreazonaSimtown15EricasFreePlayYuriTheCreatorSunnyyesjamsReggiejoehamillItsJanierjonny522 12 votes
Showtime
0%
Ambitions
42%
EvalenTootsyim1HejixMikezumiemorrillcwaddelljillbgSimplyJenstarguruSigzy05cocojordands1mszzangtretheraGoulsquashTeslachick2SummerRoxyNikkei_Simmerpuzzlezaddictafai1261 21 votes
Supernatural
34%
AmphoraAnmirlaParyJoAnne65petalbotGabbyGirlJBettyboop55bekkasanSindocatannaliese39CXonor13TLM08TreyNutzRedShoe7Charlottesmom[Deleted User]GamingTweety 17 votes
None of these, they all stink
0%

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Yet another poll where my vote cannot be heard. I would vote for "All of the Above" though preferably when they are on sale.

While I am of the opinion that none of them "stink" ( :p ), Showtime is the most difficult one (for me) to justify unless one really likes the idea of the three performance careers. But once in play, I could never part with that one because of genies, dominoes, bananas, golf...the sneaky stuff that EA likes to put in each EP to make each of them gotta-haves in their own way even if we don't care for the most advertised of the new options they bring to the game.

And congrats on your exam performance. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    jonny522jonny522 Posts: 179 Member
    Generations
    I'd vote generations, although ambitions is a close second. The reason is that generations adds so much to the base interactions, with all the various different party types, to the robotic friend, to the midlife crisis, to all the rest. To paraphrase LGR "generations starts with everyone that should've been in the base game, and whether you see that as a good or bad thing pends on how cynical you are". Although I guess that ambitions has more raw content. LGR's reviews on all of these will actually really help you decide whether they're for you.
  • Options
    jonny522jonny522 Posts: 179 Member
    Generations
    > @jonny522 said:
    > I'd vote generations, although ambitions is a close second. The reason is that generations adds so much to the base interactions, with all the various different party types, to the robotic friend, to the midlife crisis, to all the rest. To paraphrase LGR "generations starts with everyone that should've been in the base game, and whether you see that as a good or bad thing pends on how cynical you are". Although I guess that ambitions has more raw content. LGR's reviews on all of these will actually really help you decide whether they're for you.

Everything*
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited December 2018
    Supernatural
    I love Ambitions and SN and would find it difficult to choose, but if I had to, then I would go with SN. I feel that this pack just has SO much to offer, between the life states, the new skills and objects, the gorgeous world... it's really packed full.

I have a bit of a dislike for ST, because of the social rubbish they tried to force into it, and for me, Generations never added all that much to my game that was really special, it always felt like more of a glorified Stuff Pack.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    Ambitions
    I'll go with Ambitions because I can see you really enjoying the Firefighter, Ghost Hunter and Investigator professions. There's tattoos, motorbikes (I'd love to see David on one :tongue:), consignment stores, junkyards, inventing, sculpting and heaps more I can't think of right now. You'll have a blast :smiley:
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Supernatural
    Moonlight Falls is one of my favorite EA worlds. I also rely on the elixir consignment shop to consign things (combined with the NRaas Consigner mod) in all my games. It's rare that at least one sim in the household doesn't master the Alchemy skill. Some of those potions are quite useful, particularly with World Adventures. Didn't like the zombies though. I do like the supernatural life states as well. That really adds a lot to gameplay.

I think Ambitions is a close second for me. It's also got a consignment shop and self-employed careers which I use frequently. The new skills are nice too.

I like Generations too, more for the new interactions and afterschool activities than the objects. As EPs go it's sort of lean. Definitely get it on sale.

I got Showtime mainly for CC world compatibility. And it because it was on sale for $5. I haven't used it's features much.
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Ambitions
    I enjoy them all, but of those listed I’d choose AMB. It has so much content and I use many items from this pack in every single save. I don’t think there was anything from this EP I didn’t like.

I love self-employed careers and being able to consign goods such as sculptures with the sculpting skill. The hands-on professions like firefighter are fun alternatives to self-employment or typical RH careers. Being an inventor—creating widgets, toys, miners, time travel machines and Simbots as well as being able to blow up stuff around town—is also fun, lol. I also love the swampy bayou vibe of the Twinbrook world.

If those things don’t appeal to you as much, SN would be another solid pick. It’s also packed with a great deal of content, fun gameplay and comes with a very nice world in addition to the various occult types.

GEN helps flesh out the life stages, but feels much lighter in comparison and didn’t come with a new world. The content it offers is nice to have though, especially if you play multi-generational families.

ST is also a nice EP and comes with a new world, but you may get less use out of it overall in comparison to some of the other packs because of its heavy focus on the performance careers. However, things like pool tables and photo booths are a few of the objects that are nice to have from this one.

Congrats on doing so well with your exams and have fun with whichever EP you decide on! (And maybe you did well enough to reward yourself with more than one? ;) )
  • Options
    CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited December 2018
    @TinySpaceFox Between these two nothing against Supernatural which I love but truly between these as far as adding to game enjoyment.Forgive Me :( for not choosing but leaning heavily toward Showtime read why below and up to you but from your updates your sims seem to like to do things around town and not be homebodies

Ok quick breakdown of important stuff

Ambitions

Simbots added
    Sculpting including topiary,ice,wood,metal and clay sculptures
    Inventing main thing is (Time machine) :heart:
    Tatooing
    Stylist carrer
    Architect (Getting to do home makeovers on other sims homes)
    Firefighter
    Ghost hunter
    Investigator
    Trampoline
    Self employment
    Earthquake events
    Can blow up stuff
    The digital portraits you hang up slideshows on your wall
    The miner opens explorable dimension holes other than digging for objects
    Motorcycle
    Drafting table

Showtime (the amount of cool objects for making venues and things your sim can interact with out and about put this higher than the others)

Diva trait :love::heart:
    Place snack bowls were added to click on counter place snack bowl chips nuts or candy
    GENIES!!!!! genie lamps
    12 new foods
    Fireflies
    Coffee house not just a venue but another eating rabbithole too like a diner
    DJ booth
    Jukebox
    Bull riding bronco bull
    Karaokee :heart:
    Golf driving range
    Gyroscopic conductor
    IPOD portable music I love it
    Pull up/chin up bar for gyms
    Skee ball
    Singer awesome catchy songs
    Acrobat Great tricks and street miming :smiley:
    Magician Deadly tricks literally
    Important the different lighting that can be used anywhere like stage lights, light show globes and FX effect machines are awesome for making clubs etc
    Pool table tricks
    Dominoes tables :love:

I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Another wishy-washy simmer here who can't pick. LOL For me, it's hard to decide between Ambitions and Supernatural. I really love them both. Generations is also a great pack if you play families, which I do, and can't imagine not having it at this point. The one I could most easily forego, despite some of the neat extras it has that I really enjoy having (already elaborated on above), would be Showtime, because I could care less about the performance careers and venues. Like most everything in this game, it's all a matter of your play style and what you enjoy doing most.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    Ambitions
    I'm going to throw in my vote for Ambitions mainly because of the new jobs that it adds. Plus you can also be self-employed with Ambitions and that makes the game even more fun.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    If you're going to get all of them eventually then it doesn't matter which one you get next. I'd tend to get them in order of release just because it's a convenient way of making a decision.
  • Options
    EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    Generations
    Generations gets my vote because of everything it adds to the game. I played it and teaching toddlers to walk was fun. It adds a lot to the game like parties, graduations, memories, family trees, etc. Good luck with your choice. I also just finished finals and am waiting for my final grade.
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited December 2018
    Ambitions
    Congrats on doing well on your exams :)
    It was a tough choice for me. I have both Generations and Ambitions although I haven't been playing either for very long. I believe I installed Generations 2 years ago when I started simming again and Ambitions more recently, although I don't remember exactly when. I can't even say why I chose Ambitions over Generations but, for me, it would have been the one I installed before Generations if I'd known before I did it the other way around. I do remember why I installed Generations first but it had nothing to do with what it added to the game. It was because I wasn't previously patched as far as Generations because, for me, it's about the sims and not what they can do that matters and my game was probably the most stable of all my old simmer friends before I patched it when I moved back to Australia. Gone are the days when I could comfortably play 20 generations in one save with nary a glitch or any sign of corruption or lag and this was before I started doing save as saves.
    Post edited by Mikezumi on
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Supernatural
    I am biased, because Supernatural is the EP that sold me on the game. I love Moonlight Falls, and at least 3 out of the 5 lifestates are strong favorites (I am least drawn to Vampires or Ghosts). There are some amazing shingle-style Victorians in this town, too - some of my favorite EA house lots anywhere.

Runners up include Generations, if you play with families / toddlers / children / teens at all. Only caveat is that with all the additional play, I have occasionally maxed skills before my Sims made it to University, leaving me absent an easy means of raising academic performance.

Ambitions also includes a good town, if not as well-loved as Moonlight Falls, but I find the Fashion Designer and Architect careers stress my poor little laptop, popping in and out of CAS and Build mode all the time. YMMV.
  • Options
    HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    Ambitions
    I love Twinbrook! Mix of swamps and industrial buildings... Such an unique work in the Sims series! Worth getting!
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • Options
    AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    Supernatural
    All the other EP's are really fun so you should just buy them all at once. Lol, I kid. Maybe. :p

Anyway, I think you should choose Supernatural because for me personally, it was a game changer. While a lot of people may not like supernatural sims, the EP itself comes with a lot of great objects and activities. Moonlight Falls is also a very lovely town that is quite easy to play in :)
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2018
    Supernatural
    I miss a sixth option: all of them, they’re all amazing :p
    Seriously, I just voted one but truth is I can’t really choose here. I like supernaturals in the game, that’s why I picked that one, but I hope you’ll keep up the good school work, to the point where you’ve treated yourself to all of them;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Supernatural
    I love all of them and they all have their good points, but my favorite is supernatural. Love my Vampires, werewolves, witches, and fairy's. Just depends on what sounds the best to you.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited December 2018
    Ambitions
    - Generations is just a beefy Stuff Pack in my opnion... Never felt it brought a ton to the table all though you might enjoy it if families are your main focus.
    - Showtime besides the professions adds a bunch of new objects and activies plus the Genie occult. The professions can be fun but quickly become a chore in my opnion so I only play those every few generations and then I'm reminded how little I enjoy doing them. (lol)
    - Ambitions most importantly for me adds self-employment which can be expanded upon with NRaas: Careers. Simbots are fun but Plumbots from Into the Future are better. ;) Oh yeah... Lets not forget Ghost Hunter profession:
    3P6H.gif
    - Supernatural was the most fun I've ever had exploring an expainson pack. Well... Seasons is pretty close but anyways this EP is perfect if you enjoy occults. Even if you don't... there are ways to keep them turned off just for the new objects and plants. Plus beehives are pretty neat. B)
    200.gif

Check out what these packs include. There are other guides/videos too.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    60smusicluvr60smusicluvr Posts: 1,982 Member
    edited December 2018
    Generations
    It's a toss up between generations or ambitions for me. I enjoy both very much.

I ultimately voted for generations because I think you can find it useful for almost any save, especially if you love playing with families and I love playing with families. :smiley: There's just a whole bunch of new animations, interactions and activities your sims can take part in as they grow older. I especially like the add ons for children and teens, which helps flesh out the characters much more as they can participate in after school activities, go on field trips, have imaginary friends (which I usually avoid, to be honest), do pranks, get in trouble (which can be kind of glitchy, but if you plan ahead, you can work around it), have cute bubble baths, tea parties, monsters under the bed, learn to drive so on and so on . . . In addition to that, I like to build a lot and I really like the objects that come along with this expansion.

Ambitions is great because it allows your sims to keep a job and be self employed. This allows you to have more control in what happens in your sims day to day life. Don't feel like working today, don't have to! Having trouble thinking of what to do next, why not advance your career? It just makes the overall playing experience much easier for you without seeing your sims disappear in a "rabbit hole." It may, however, be harder to manage if you have a large family. Also, if you enjoy starting from the bottom and working your sims to the top, some of the self employment options will help with the struggle so they don't advance too too fast and don't earn so much either. So, if you're a story player, this would help a lot.

• Options
    jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    Ambitions
    I go mainstream with this one - Ambitions! Why? Just because it is nice to have a "real" job to go to. :p Who does not love firefighters? Makeover everyone and everything without mods, be a sculptor, a detective, an inventor... It changes from the usual disappearances into rabbit holes. And, of course, there is Twinbrook. The Bayou world I willingly gave up Sunset Valley for as soon it was released! <3
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Options
    aglitteringsimmeraglitteringsimmer Posts: 56 Member
    Ambitions
    I would say either ambitions or generations, ambitions has more clear additions though. I love SN but it really depends what you're into tbh.
    An average simmer wasting her life away
    --just kidding, will find a photo of my fave sim soon--
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Generations
    It really should depend on how you prefer to play. If family interactions and relationships are important to you, Generations is the best. I really wouldn't want to play with any of the EP's missing, but when I can't use my computer due to waiting for repairs, or when I'm far from home visiting family, I play on my laptop, which doesn't have room for all the Sims 3 content, it's always Generations that I miss the most.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2018
    Ambitions
    Ambitions because it adds a lot of new content, a great world, laundromats, new professions, lots of new skills, consignment stores, etc.

kNRAGLy.jpg
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Supernatural
    Super-Freaking-Natural!!!

That is all...carry on. :mrgreen: