Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Happy Holidays Gift Exchange ~ CLOSED

Comments

• ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    @Bookworm742 @BreeMiles @ciane @cmbaker16
    @equuest @Kesminlix @suzses and @Ziristha

Most of you are familiar with how gifting goes, but here's a few handy dandy tips/reminders for all to take note of. :)

The thread title will change tomorrow morning and a post will be made, indicating that gifting time has begun.
    At that time, you may begin sharing your gifts with each other.

Things to include in your gift message (gets posted in this thread):
    1. Your Buddy's name ~ be sure to place the @ symbol before their name so they get tagged
    2. Gift number
    3. Link to the studio upload
    4. Screenshots showing off the gift ~ less than 5, post in message; more than 5, place within a spoiler tag OR include link to additional pictures.

A brief description or bio (if sim or pet) is also nice.

As always, looking forward to seeing your creations and the enjoyment shared among SimFriends!!!
    Addy

PS. All gifts will be custard checked. If custom content is found, a message will be posted notifying Buddies about this.
    PSS. I have a dental appointment tomorrow and will be gone for part of the morning. Will update thread as soon as I return.
    Good Morning!
    Gifting Time is HERE!!!

Time to start revealing buddies, sharing gifts and being wowed by what each of y'all have made!
    open-gift-box_23-2147502755.jpg
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited December 2018
    Who likes tiny lots, blue and gray, and craftsman, traditional, contemporary builds? My secret buddy, of course!
    Ziristha wrote: »
    Some of my favorite colors are: Gray, blue, pink and many others! lol

I enjoy this style of build the most: Craftsman, traditional, victorian, contemporary, cabins etc.

I really like small and tiny lots from 10x10 to 25x25 since they’re easier to put in any world and expand as needed.

I always start saves with one sim, find them a partner and then start a family.
    So, I built a little starter and gift #1
    You can find it here:
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9272317

roof_up_original.jpg
    It has a basement with master and crib...
    l0wd_original.jpg
    An open plan with clearly defined spaces...
    l0wu_original.jpg
    l1wd_original.jpg
    And, an attic space appropriate for a child (that would be height-challenging for teens and adults.
    l1wu_original.jpg

I hope you enjoy this first gift @Ziristha and look forward to another each day of gifting.
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited December 2018
    @ciane Hello, my buddy! :) I was very pleased to find out you would be my buddy and had loads of fun creating things for you for Sunlit Tides. I hope you enjoy them even half as much as I did making them.

Gift 1 (3 parts)

DANA'S STORY

46285861861_60b585a8f7_c.jpg

Opening her newspaper, Dana begins another day of looking for a new place to live. She pauses, thinking about how her life has taken some unexpected turns in the past couple years. Not long ago, she was home in St. Louis trying to decide on a major for college but feeling quite undecided about it. Now, here she is sitting at an outdoor table at the Midnight Moon Bistro in Sunlit Tides, a place she has grown to consider home, with plans to stay. She had come to be here two years ago because her grandparents needed some help, and she was the logical person to step in at the time.

Glancing back to the newspaper, Dana eliminates several listings because they simply wouldn't work with Franz, her dog, and that just won't do.

45562214344_3b3ba7d531_c.jpg

Apartment rentals appear to be out, either because there is no yard for Franz or because pets are not allowed, so Dana concentrates on house listings. She may just barely be able to afford to buy a house, probably a fixer upper. Dana starts to feel a little anxious thinking about renovation work when she needs to be able to move in within six weeks. Running her finger down the page, she notices a new listing today for a small beach house and thinks how nice it would be to be along the waterfront but knows the location will probably make it price prohibitive. Surprisingly, she sees it's fairly inexpensive and wonders if it's about to fall down. The ad says it's VERY small, is in need of some work but does have a new roof and new windows. Dana thinks perhaps she and Franz will take a walk by there this evening and if it looks promising, she'll call the realtor in the morning.

Dana's story so far in her own words:
    Grandpa Joe was a military man who had lived all over the world during his career and was stationed on Sunlit Tides for a number of years. He and Grandma Pearl always planned to go back there once Grandpa retired. My mother, on the other hand, liked life on the mainland where she had spent most of her teen years and where she met my father, whose Kansas family owned a small meat packing business.

Grandpa was able to retire fairly young, and he and Grandma relocated back to Sunlit Tides as soon as they were able to make arrangements. Mom was in college by then and did not accompany them. After college, she and my father married and settled near St. Louis where both were teachers.

We always spent as much time as possible with both sets of grandparents, alternating Winter and Summer holidays with them. One year, we would head to Sunlit Tides over the Christmas and New Year's holidays and spend Summer vacation at Dad's childhood home in rural Kansas. The next year, we would do the opposite.

By the time I was ready for college, but not totally committed to going, Grandpa Joe and Grandma Pearl were getting up in years and in need of a little help from time to time. When Grandma needed to be hospitalized for an extended time, Mom packed up and headed to Sunlit Tides for the Summer to lend a hand. I went along. As the end of Summer approached, it became apparent that my grandparents would continue to need a little support day-to-day. Mom was conflicted about leaving them but needed to get back to Missouri before the start of the school year. They were insistent that Sunlit Tides was "home," and they weren't leaving.

And so, that is how I came to stay in Sunlit Tides. It was somewhat a relief to simply unenroll from college and stay with my grandparents, both of whom were always very special to me. Initially, they were in fairly good health and only needed a little help to continue to live on their own, and so I was able to provide that support while taking a few classes at university and dabbling in my new passion for painting. Sunrises, sunsets, the ocean, all the beauty of Sunlit Tides were subjects to capture.

Grandma died rather suddenly, which was a shock for Grandpa and I, but a blessing for her. She was always a fun-loving, active woman, and illness was simply not something she had time for. One day she was out walking the beach and the next she was gone.

My family all came for the funeral, and even through our sorrow, we still enjoyed precious time together. My parents hoped Grandpa and I would come back with them to Missouri, so we could all be fairly close together. However, as was typical for him, Grandpa was stubborn about staying put. He did not plan to move ever again, anywhere. I was secretly relieved, because I, too, had become drawn to life in Sunlit Tides.

And then, after they were gone, it was just Grandpa and I. While in Sunlit Tides, I hadn't had much opportunity to make close friends. Sure, there were many acquaintences and some friendly banter with neighbors, the mail carrier, and fellow students, but no one I got to know very well. Grandpa and I were close and had dinner together every evening and would do errands together many afternoons after he stopped driving. He always had wonderful stories to tell, and it was no trouble spending time with him. But, sometimes it was a little lonely not having peers as friends with whom I could share.

Daily life continued, paintings got painted, and some sold in local art shops. I stopped taking classes when Grandpa began to need a little more support. He had fallen on the stairs one day while I was out, and after that, he needed a cane or walker to get around and me more than ever to lend a hand. While he wasn't as stable on his feet, he was still feisty and as stubborn as ever. Sometimes he tried to do things alone he really shouldn't, and one day one of those attempts ended in a second fall and three broken ribs. Due to the pain, he couldn't breathe deeply and, as a result, contracted pneumonia from which he did not recover.

Suddenly, it was just me. Or, it would have been if it weren't for Franz. The day after the funeral, when my head was swimming with thoughts about what needed to be done with the estate and my situation, a large, friendly, talkative, bouncing white dog bounded into my life . . . and stayed. He appeared a little thin and in need of a bath, not that that dampened his spirit any. After postings looking for his owner netted no replies, I made him officially mine. I named him Franz after a dog that had belonged to German neighbors of my other grandparents in Kansas. That Franz was friendly and bouncy, too, and it just felt right to call him that.

There was just one little problem. We were about to have no where to live and not enough income to support ourselves well. Grandpa's house had just sold, and the closing was in several weeks. After his debts were settled, I understood I would be receiving a small inheritance, but I doubted much would be left after medical bills, funeral expenses and so on and so forth were all covered. Would we need to move back to Missouri? I hoped not.

Surprisingly, things look as though they're going to work out. I've just been to the bank to deposit my inheritance, which miraculously might be enough to allow me to stay here in Sunlit Tides. Franz and I just need a new home now . . . I need to figure out a better source of income than I get from my paintings (at least until I'm more famous - ha) . . . I need to make some friends . . . and most immediately, I need to find a ball to play with Franz before he bounces into outer space.

~ ~ ~

46285857851_47432895f3_c.jpg

It's a pleasant evening, and Dana and Franz are enjoying their walk as they near the beach. The address she is seeking is 5 Mango Way. Checking the house number of the property they are passing, Dana notes it's 3 Mango Way, so that means the next property will be it, the last house on the street with beautiful beach on two sides.

The view over the water at sunset is breathtaking, the house less so, however. It's orange . . . with somewhat faded purple porch railings . . . old furniture and junk on both porches . . . some overgrown brush. But, it also evidently has the new roof and windows mentioned in its listing, a gleaming white metal roof and shiny new windows with white frames. Oh, and it has newly installed exterior doors, too, not yet painted. Dana thinks it might not be too bad to fix up, depending on what she finds in the interior, and that it might be possible to overlook a lot in light of having the beach for her front yard and that view.

31347078407_06cbe1e35c_c.jpg

In her mind's eye, she begins seeing it all redone in pretty pastels. Maybe it's the beautiful colors of the sunset here in Sunlit Tides influencing her in that direction. She is envisioning mango smoothies, frozen lemonade, maybe cupcakes with pastel icings and sprinkles on top . . . and ok, maybe her sweet tooth is kicking in. Maybe they should have started their walk *after* dinner.

The next afternoon, Dana tours the house with the realtor and can see that it mostly needs a new coat of paint and some wallpaper. She thinks the few appliances will have to go, too, but doesn't think that will be a big problem now that the realtor has told her she thinks the seller will accept a lower bid. The owner, who had begun fixing up the property but never got to move in, was suddenly transferred from the lab here in Sunlit Tides to his employer's other facility on the mainland. Since he is motivated to make a quick sale, Dana should be able to negotiate a nice reduction in price. No, new appliances would not be out of the question, if her bid is accepted, at least not if she is a careful shopper.

~ ~ ~

Things all worked out just as Dana had hoped and six weeks later, just in time for the move, her vision is realized. Now she just needs to concentrate on those other little details of how to make an income while pursuing her dreams of being an artist and finding herself a social life.

32414700208_90e6292cb1_c.jpg

~ ~ ~

HOUSEHOLD: Dana Michaels and her dog, Franz

More info about them in the spoiler here:

45373121045_3543c6058d_n.jpg

Dana Michaels
    Young Adult

Lifetime Wish: Master of the Arts

Job: Self-employed painter

Skills:
    Painting - Level 5
    1-2 levels in other useful skills

Traits:
    Artistic
    Perfectionist
    Dog Lover
    Eco Friendly
    Loves the Outdoors

32414182768_97ff4bf360_c.jpg

32414187498_3028680a8c_m.jpg

Franz Michaels
    Adult Dog

Skills: Hunting - Level 7

Tricks learned: Sit

Traits:
    Non-destructive (learned)
    Genius
    Hunter
    Noisy
    (Note: He seems to be more playful than I would expect with these traits.)

DOWNLOAD LINK: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9272322

LOT 1: FIXER UPPER BEACH HOUSE

I've gone back and forth on whether to upload the lot this way. It's a little odd to offer it in it's partly run down and partly redone state, but it goes with the story that way, and I finally decided you might like to have it to remodel again sometime. Oh, and it seemed impossible to get it to look very run down at sunset for those pictures. :D

I did not take additional pictures of it.

DOWNLOAD LINK: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9272323

LOT 2 - THE RENOVATED HOUSE: JUST BEACHY

PICTURES HERE: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmxmJ5ym

DOWNLOAD LINK: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9272324

Franz' things are not included with the download of the house, but they are in the family inventory with the household. Since the lot is so tiny, it was hard to fit in his things. I placed the doghouse at the back of the property near the banana tree and the food dish near it. You can see the placement in at least one of the uploaded pictures. If it's raining at night, Franz can sleep on the porch and stay dry, but I couldn't find a spot inside where there is enough room for him to lay down. Also in inventory is a bathtub for flea baths that can be placed and used beside the porch on the road side of the lot (Someplace else may work, too, but that's where I used it, repeatedly, every-other-day. Must have been flea season. :p ). He has a chew toy and a ball in inventory, too, but the ball can't be used on the 10x15 lot. It worked to place the chew toy in the front yard.

Edited to add:
    LOL I have no idea what is wrong with the word b.e.a.c.h.y.

Post edited by suzses on
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    @ciane That's so adorable <3

P.S. I think I wrote a novel up there with my gift(s) for today.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    Oh, I do love being spoiled by you, @suzses!!! That is probably the best story I've ever read for a background introduction. Dana is perfect! I love the soft colors you chose for her outfits as well. And Franz is great! I love him as well. You must know I love renovating old houses, so I'll have to start with the fixer upper; but I do love your style, so I'll play it that way too. Thank you ever so much. And now I'm thinking that maybe I should have uploaded the family I made for testing purposes and included their story. Well, maybe next time.

I am spoiled and I love it@ Thank you. Thank you. Thank you! I'll go download and play with all my new toys today after I jump in the shower. (I've been catching up on the internet this morning and just lazing around.)
    @ciane and @suzses WOW! Both of you make tiny lots looks doable, both for building and playing!!

ciane,
    The gray brick pairs well with the trim. Love the bits of blue used throughout, it really shines against the gray, silver and white. The floor plan is definitely efficient and maximizes the use of the space. I had to laugh at myself trying to locate where you put the bathroom ... then I noticed the two "nooks" tucked away behind the stairwell. Clever use of the space!

suzses,
    Dana and Franz are a delightful duo! Her outfit choices are perfect & having extra selections is a great idea. Your story introduction is perfect and definitely not too wordy. It has enough details to provide a good understanding of where she came from and where she'd like to go. Your fixer upper and renovated house offer a lot of variety to play around with. The colors, patterns and furnishings certainly brings the outdoors inside and evokes feelings of the beach. Delightful! Lots of windows show gorgeous views in all directions. Such a calm place to be!!
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,909 Member
    edited December 2018
    I Have a nifty surprise for my Buddy!
    I hope you enjoy this lovely family I made for you, My Buddy @Kesminlix

Gift #1
    The Robert's Family
    NoCC
    James
    Minna
    Baily
    Buster
    DOWNLOAD
    Roberts.jpg

Family Pose By jessesue

Post edited by BreeMiles on
    @BreeMiles Ooh, nice looking family and love the dog. I'm sure Kesminlix won't mind if I borrow them and put them in one of my games.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    @BreeMiles Terrific looking family and their dog is adorable! I agree with suzses, Kesminlix might not mind us borrowing them for a bit. :wink:
    edited December 2018
    I'm not done! Nope I have another gift for My Buddy whats a family without a home and someone said they liked cabins & screened in porches! So lets see if I have one in my box for you my dear!

Gift #2
    30x30
    NoCC
    3 Bed
    3 Bath
    DOWNLOAD
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg

PICTURES

Post edited by BreeMiles on
    @BreeMiles Love this, too <3 Very attractive cabin, all decked out for the Holidays. It looks so cozy.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited December 2018
    Thank you so much everyone! I plan on grabbing up all the gifts too! LOL! I have an idea in mind! Filling a world with the gifts and playing them up!
    @ciane I love your Gift #1 Tiny lot! You do them up so nicely! Hope your buddy don't mind me grabbing it!
    @suzses Your Dana & Franz are adorable! I love her back story, great job on writing it! I love Dana's outfits, very nice and suits her well! Your fixer upper beach house is lovely, and so is your Just Beachy renovated lot! I hope your buddy don't mind me grabbing them up to!
    @BreeMiles The Minlix Farmhouse is festively fabulous! It has plenty of charm from the curb to inside. LOVE the colors and furnishings you selected, they give off the feeling that this home has been around and well-loved for years. This pairs well with the family you created.
    BreeMiles wrote: »
    Thank you so much everyone! I plan on grabbing up all the gifts too! LOL! I have an idea in mind! Filling a world with the gifts and playing them up!

I did that a couple years ago when @aricarai had her cabin contest. I filled up an empty Moonlight Falls with the cabins, gifts from the last exchange, and other things and have a great game going there.

_________

@everyone You know, while I was having lunch, what I said about not knowing the problem with b.e.a.c.h.y all of a sudden started to sound really familiar and made me think someone else used the name on something and had the same problem with it turning to *plum.* I think I at least read about that and may have commented at the time. Somewhere in there I also figured out what the problem probably is with it. So, sorry, if I accidentally stole someone's name. o:) I didn't mean to. Remember imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that. :)

My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    omg time really flew!

oh so exciting gifting has started, and now i'm off to choose which to give first :D
    Thank you Addy and Thanks for hosting this amazing gift exchange! You are the best!
    @suzes hi buddy! The moment I read your letter I just knew I wanted to create for you! So I was ecstatic when Addy gave me your name. I have a few gifts for you and it was hard to choose which to gift first but I know it has to be this one so without further ado let me show you your first gift.

Gift 1:

I'm not very knowledgeable about cape cods but I did research and wow there are so many different kinds of cape cods! So I wasn't sure which to do but when I saw a picture of one cape cod I just knew I had to create it for you in sims. I also knew, from your letter, that you like playing artsy/gardening type sims so I kept the decor very basic so you'd have lots of room for your sim to place her art work/photographs/sculptures all around the home.

Nix Estate The home of Belle Nix is a lovely blue cape cod with 4Br/2Ba it also comes with a barn to fit 4 horses. It also has an art studio with a small garden out the front.

msm4k6.png

2zovggi.png

20f5da0.png
    @BreeMiles Thank you your cabin is very lovely looks perfect in the snow and all cozy :D
    @cmbaker16 Nix Estate looks like a home where sims won't be bored! Garden, pond, art studio, horses ... there is something to suit a variety of interests. Four bedrooms ensures that there is plenty of room for a large family or multi-generational one. The baby/toddler swing in the art studio is a very good idea. The furniture you chose looks quite comfortable for sims who want to relax when they're off work. Makes me want to curl up on the couch with the book I'm reading, lol
    @BreeMiles and @cmbaker16 - love both of your builds (and your family)! Both great shapes and nice colors. Very, very nice indeed!! Sorry it took me so long to respond. I was busy playing with my gift. ;}

Putting all the pretty builds and families in a world for a lot of holiday fun sounds great to me!
    @cmbaker16 Thank you ever so much! The Nix estate is beautiful and roomy and will be a great place for a family to call home and make their own. Love the soft colors you used. Now, I simply must go unwrap it and take a good look. Can't wait to see it all!
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    @suzes i'm glad you like it, tomorrow there is more in-store for you and Nix Estate has probably given you some clues :wink:
    @cmbaker16 Ah ha, yes, I was getting a few clues. I just happened to still have an empty 50x50 over on the farming side of my Moonlight Falls game, so I placed it over there to get a look at it and can imagine keeping it in that game. It's also going to be great for Appaloosa Plains when I get that going.

A few comments while I'm here - I love the pretty blue siding and that soft yellow trim goes perfectly with it. The lot layout and architecture are very nicely done, and I just love those magical, colorful garden/yard areas and all the outdoor living space. The pool area is great, and the little pond behind with the stairs leading down is darling. The kitchen has at least one of anything a cook could want! and I love its soft minty green cabinetry. The large dining room will be great for dinners and parties. Love the art studio, too, and agree with Addy that putting a baby swing there was such a good idea. And thank you for all that extra room to expand - the two unfurnished bedrooms, all that space over the horse stables, room to hang paintings (I'm never so smart as to plan for that).
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top