Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Drifter Challenge - House 002 - Rules

Comments

• CommaSpliceCommaSplice Posts: 171 Member
    Oh no, @IllusoryThrall , that's horrible. I was thinking about this with Seasons. I'm thinking you may be in Granite Falls for a lot longer than before with seasonal plants and all :(
  • mattrweeksmattrweeks Posts: 41 Member
    edited September 2018
    @CommaSplice I was worried about doing the Outdoor Enthusiast aspiration with seasons, but after doing some research going into the aspiration I'm doing pretty well with Marco completing it. It feels like it's really a matter of knowing when the plants are in season and using that information to your advantage. Plus a lot of the steps can be completed without actually being at Granite Falls. My tips for completing the aspiration with seasons would be:

1. I believe the only Stage of the aspiration that actually requires you to be in Granite Falls to complete it is in the 1st stage. Both of the requirements - "Catch 5 fish in Granite Falls" and "Harvest 10 Unidentified Plants" - can really only be done there. Befriending the hermit can be done before you reach the 3rd stage, and you can then maintain the friendship from home by calling him/her on the phone. Identifying the plants can be done from home too as long as you have the harvestables from all of them in your inventory. It still counts to sleep in a tent on your home lot. The only other one that might require being in Granite Falls is "Collect 15 insects." I think you can catch bugs in other worlds besides Granite Falls, but I might be wrong.

2. Some of the unidentified plants are in season during the spring, and some during the fall. ALL of them are in season during the summer - with a few being in season ONLY during the summer. So you definitely want to make ONE camping trip during summer that's at least a couple days long, but should be possible to start the aspiration in any season except winter since you'll still be able to complete the 1st stage.
    I was lucky, and in my game the summer is lining up with Marco reaching the 3rd stage - where you need to identify all the unidentified plants. I don't know if it works to identify the plants before you reach that stage or not, but regardless of when summer is you should be fine as long as you go camping during the summer so you can obtain all the harvestables needed to complete that requirement.

3. Take cuttings of all the unidentified plants that are in season when you go and splice them onto sage plants on your home lot. Sage is in season all year, so this gives you access to ingredients needed to work on skilling up herbalism at home during the winter - or any other season when the particular plant would normally not be in season.
    Check out my play through of The Drifter Challenge House 01.
  • KariseKarise Posts: 1,198 Member
    @mattrweeks Those are some great tips. Congrats on Marco completing his aspiration.
  • IllusoryThrallIllusoryThrall Posts: 1,335 Member
    @mattrweeks - great tips and ideas. I'm pretty sure the insects can only be caught in granite falls, though. My current heir is a toddler, and they're getting ready to start fall, so when she turns child it's going to be at the beginning of winter... which is going to complicate starting the aspiration at that time. Hopefully it'll still work out, but I'm not exactly sure how. The splicing onto sage is an especially good idea, since I'm not sure I was planning to have a greenhouse on this lot. Which reminds me, I definitely will need to start working on gardening so I can get to splice ability asap.
    Ugh. I saved right before aging Jocelyn to child.. sent them off on vacation in the two days before winter and got SO much done. Only to have my game crash as soon as I sent them home.. without saving. Sigh. I hate it when that happens. Now I have to do it all over.
    @IllusoryThrall Oh no, how awful. It's soo annoying when that happens. Hope it goes even better second time around.
  • mattrweeksmattrweeks Posts: 41 Member
    @IllusoryThrall I hate it when that happens. When I first attempted to create Bianca for this run at the challenge, my game crashed just after I'd gotten her finished but before I'd had the chance to save her to my library. >_< I had to remake her from scratch.

Here's hoping that your second attempt at those days turns out just as well or even better.
    Check out my play through of The Drifter Challenge House 01.
    I managed to get through those days, and the rest of the aspiration, but it was close. I ended up being only a day and a half from Jocelyn aging to Young Adult when I finished that last night in the tent. I had a problem identifying the plants. I had them in my in my inventory, identified, but it still showed only 8/10 id'ed. I had to go back to Granite Falls multiple times and comb for "unidentified" plants, sort through the identified plants in the inventory for the ones that were in the same stack and NOT identified... sigh. What a pain. This aspiration was SO much easier before seasons!
    @IllusoryThrall Congrats on completing the aspiration
  • Tellie86Tellie86 Posts: 36 Member
    edited September 2018
    After one failed attempt, I finally finished House 002!
    Post edited by Tellie86 on
    @Tellie86 Congrats on completing house 2. Good luck for house 3. :smiley:
  • BurdBurd Posts: 28 Member
    @Tellie86 You linked to a page that edits a user's own Wordpress article :) Awesome content though!
    Burd wrote: »
    @Tellie86 You linked to a page that edits a user's own Wordpress article :) Awesome content though!

Thank you for letting me know. It is fixed now :)
  • illusieillusie Posts: 13,819 Member
    Congrats on finishing house 2 and great story @Tellie86
    illusie wrote: »
    Congrats on finishing house 2 and great story @Tellie86

Thank you 💜
  • PinkWorldPinkWorld Posts: 65 Member
    I started this challenge a couple months ago, and I'm almost finished with House 02 - all goals are done. Just need to wait one Sim-week, until my heir grows up to adult.

Tonight, I was planning to go to House 3. Except I downloaded a house from the Gallery with this family. But I remembered the pride I had with House 1, when I managed to actually follow a house plan. It's terrible, but it's mine. And this house has almost half a million. So tonight, I decided to bulldoze. I spent a couple hours on it. Like with house 1, it's not special - but it's mine. I like this feeling. I think I'm gonna decorate a bit more and maybe try to fix the roofing next time.
    @PinkWorld Congrats on completing the goals and well done for creating your own houses.

I'm terrible at building houses but I found an online house plans site so I use that to create my own. Some of them turn out quite decent too, lol.
    @PinkWorld, congrats on having completed all goals for house 2! I agree that it's more fun to make your own houses. That's awesome you are making your own houses. I'm sure they are not terrible!

@karise, I'm sure your houses look lovely.
  • PinkWorldPinkWorld Posts: 65 Member
    @Karise, @illusie, thanks. The house is officially over, since I've moved the heir :smiley: I usually just download, and I expect I'll continue that trend with other saves, but it's fun to try to build a home for my drifters. I'm looking for a house plan for the next house now.

On to house 3 now :smile:
    @PinkWorld Congrats on finishing house 2. :smile:

If it helps I use this site for house plans https://www.houseplans.com/
  • DeiraShadeweaverDeiraShadeweaver Posts: 647 Member
    Hi guys! I guess I will just ressurrect every drifter thread as I go along. :smiley:

I wrote two chapters on House 2 already, in case anyone is still reading drifter blogs.
    First
    Second

I went for a different approach this time and tried to get more in character, build up the lore a bit, explore the world. Let's see how long I can keep this up.

Since Ivy started in the middle of Fall and had to survive the winter, I resorted to painting. A lot. And selling the paintings through the street gallery thing from City Living because this way, you can double or even triple the price. And it's more realistic to have actual people come and buy your paintings then just sending them off into the void.
    In case it doesn't work for you - it's bugged - there's a mod to fix this. https://www.deichschafblog.de/s4/mods-fuer-grossstadtleben/ It's the second one on the list.

So she basically worked and painted for the entire winter and at the first day of fall I had 30k and decided I start building the house. That was yesterday night. Suddenly I ran out of money and it was three hours later. >.<

But the house is going along nicely even if I deviated from my inspiration a LOT and basically build it from scratch in the end. I will post screenshots later today.
    @DeiraShadeweaver I like your story and I'm looking forward to seeing the house and if she finds a partner. :smile:
  • DeiraShadeweaverDeiraShadeweaver Posts: 647 Member
    Karise wrote: »
    @DeiraShadeweaver I like your story and I'm looking forward to seeing the house and if she finds a partner. :smile:

Thank you so much!

Here's a new chapter with a sneak peek into the house!
  • shakerellashakerella Posts: 321 Member
    edited September 2019
    House 002 has been completed and all goals met!

Have not loaded the house to the gallery, yet. Since the lot is Crick Cabana I tried to make the house cabana style.

Short Story of Claire Rose and Archie Andrews. Yes, all of my sims marry a tv/movie star. I move in the main characters from one show, and whoever I run into first is my mate!

635b384c8b877841bd8fbc31b76dada5c60fda07.jpg

btw, I cannot find the House 003 thread. I did find the challenge rules on the blogspot page.

My Current Challenge: Drifter House Challenge
    @shakerella Congrats on completing house 2!
    The thread for house 3 went missing a while ago.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top