Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are you for/against pack requirements for new DLC?

1235...Next

Comments

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2018
    Yes, why not.
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    Depends.

It needs to:

1. Not be released right after the EP/GP/SP it is dependent on. It can't be a cash grab. So it needs to be something that was thought of later on or needed a year or more to get to be at the right state.
    2. Be less than the cost of it's dependent pack.
    3. Not introduce a new world
    4. If it will cost people money, it needs to have the equivalent amount of new stuff as similarly priced items. So if it's a GP priced pack it needs to have GP level of new content. Recolors and slight mesh alterations are not new content.
    5. If it's free, it can be a pack of recolors and slight mesh alterations. I'd welcome that for any pack. Even if it came out a week later. Recolors aren't hard to do.

The sp is not dependent on the ep - the animals and content work just fine with out the cats and dogs pack. You won't see the cat and dog clothing though so that is a freebie if you own cats and dogs - but saying the pack is dependent on cats and dogs meaning it can't work without it is a blatant falsehood. The cat and dog buy mode stuff that is useable if you have cats and dogs are statues if you don't like pet statues like you see as decor in even the cat and dog ep in the vet stuff - like an unusable cat carrier - or things you see in the dog park - all packs has decor but if you have cats and dogs and get MFP the decor becomes usable as pet stuff instead of just decor with out Cats and dogs. If anything you can say you got new small pets, they added to the furniture style in cats and dogs, gave them outfits to match sims clothing in the base game and usable decor for free. There is enough content in the MFP with out the cat and dog stuff to equal what is in sims 4 stuff packs - so the extra stuff was just a bonus. Sorry you cannot see that and instead accuse with no proof.

ETA: For those who keep pushing this unproved theory of DLC for DLC:

To make matters worse people did this to one of the nicest most giving devs at Maxis - Graham and his sp team - giving their hard work to the ep teams. The one dev known to go out of his way to create what simmers ask for in a timely manner gets him slammed for doing it. Of all dev to turn on - I find it hard to believe any body would do this to start with to Graham - but to keep repeating this and constantly slamming him is rather despicable in my view. This is the dev that takes the time to explain things to simmers to even come to these boards and even other forum boards to talk to simmers. Who fights for things like a community pack for us to build and to make a huge size pack out of it for the same price as all the stuff packs. Since Sims 3 he has fought to give simmers what they wanted - I just don't get it - why would any of you say such a thing to one of Maxis super nice devs -who has always been upfront, helpful and kind to everyone. I really wish you would stop - it's wrong - and all of this has been months of hearsay. Why do you all seem to want to ruin this kind dev I just cannot fathom. Bad enough the stuff pack team appears disbanded. When will people stop this kind of thing? It vicious and mean in my view.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    Hi folks, let's please try to steer this conversation a bit more back on track here as the thread's had a bit of its focus lost as we start to debate the merits of "DLC needing DLC", existing precedents for this, and similar conversations in somewhat argumentative tone. :smile:
    ~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Yes, why not.
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    Depends.

It needs to:

1. Not be released right after the EP/GP/SP it is dependent on. It can't be a cash grab. So it needs to be something that was thought of later on or needed a year or more to get to be at the right state.
    2. Be less than the cost of it's dependent pack.
    3. Not introduce a new world
    4. If it will cost people money, it needs to have the equivalent amount of new stuff as similarly priced items. So if it's a GP priced pack it needs to have GP level of new content. Recolors and slight mesh alterations are not new content.
    5. If it's free, it can be a pack of recolors and slight mesh alterations. I'd welcome that for any pack. Even if it came out a week later. Recolors aren't hard to do.

The sp is not dependent on the ep - the animals and content work just fine with out the cats and dogs pack. You won't see the cat and dog clothing though so that is a freebie if you own cats and dogs - but saying the pack is dependent on cats and dogs meaning it can't work without it is a blatant falsehood. The cat and dog buy mode stuff that is useable if you have cats and dogs are statues if you don't like pet statues like you see as decor in even the cat and dog ep in the vet stuff - like an unusable cat carrier - or things you see in the dog park - all packs has decor but if you have cats and dogs and get MFP the decor becomes usable as pet stuff instead of just decor with out Cats and dogs. If anything you can say you got new small pets, they added to the furniture style in cats and dogs, gave them outfits to match sims clothing in the base game and usable decor for free. There is enough content in the MFP with out the cat and dog stuff to equal what is in sims 4 stuff packs - so the extra stuff was just a bonus. Sorry you cannot see that and instead accuse with no proof.

ETA: For those who keep pushing this unproved theory of DLC for DLC:

To make matters worse people did this to one of the nicest most giving devs at Maxis - Graham and his sp team - giving their hard work to the ep teams. The one dev known to go out of his way to create what simmers ask for in a timely manner gets him slammed for doing it. Of all dev to turn on - I find it hard to believe any body would do this to start with to Graham - but to keep repeating this and constantly slamming him is rather despicable in my view. This is the dev that takes the time to explain things to simmers to even come to these boards and even other forum boards to talk to simmers. Who fights for things like a community pack for us to build and to make a huge size pack out of it for the same price as all the stuff packs. Since Sims 3 he has fought to give simmers what they wanted - I just don't get it - why would any of you say such a thing to one of Maxis super nice devs -who has always been upfront, helpful and kind to everyone. I really wish you would stop - it's wrong - and all of this has been months of hearsay. Why do you all seem to want to ruin this kind dev I just cannot fathom. Bad enough the stuff pack team appears disbanded. When will people stop this kind of thing? It vicious and mean in my view.

I totally agree with you. I think we need to separate out two things: truly new content that requires another pack to work, and add-on content that enhances packs we already own. If they brought out a horses EP or GP that required C&D to work, that would be a money grab. Even if some of the coding for C&D were recycled in Horses, it should stand alone. The same thing would hold if they brought out a Witches GP that required Vampires to work. A pack that adds additional features to a pack you already own, on the other hand, is a good deal.

Where they went wrong with MFP was in the advertising - rather than state that it required C&D for full functionality, they should have said that it included 'with bonus items for cats and dogs *bonus content requires Cats & Dogs Expansion Pack'. The small pets did not require C&D, and the hamster was the main feature of the pack. Personally, I use the kid furniture and some of the decor items and CAS all the time - I love the onesie for my toddlers. As far as I'm concerned, it was $10 well-spent, and I don't have C&D.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • digitaltrashcandigitaltrashcan Posts: 30 Member
    Depends on the contents.
    depends on the contents. i really like apartments and cities in the sims so i'd prob buy it in that particular case, especially if it was like ts2 apartment life. but that's only bc i like apartments lol. if the pack had a different theme i probably wouldn't.