Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are your machinima preferences?

Machinima is using the sims to create video stories, original stories, music videos, etc. This was discussed awhile ago in video haven but there was not a lot of feedback as mainly creators hang out there. I’d like to get the opinion of simmers who don’t necessarily create machinima, but enjoy watching it. Commenting with why you voted for your selection would be great!!

What are your machinima preferences? 112 votes

Voice over (voice actors)
10%
LaBlue0314joelygirlsims2simgirl1010Bagoas77shygirlSerendipity38BerryCharmingmikaAmandèleunmogIyasenuAqualunar 12 votes
Subtitles
25%
OneAdorkableGirlSimmervilleStormkeepJennyggtaydevx_Always_Heart_xluxsylvanMiguelDiogoKellyWhovianRedDestiny92BreazonadreamprisonersamemieTeslachick2dyl_andwhatHuiiie_07Madachan88KoteykaGamingTweetyafai1261 29 votes
Neither, just use the sims to tell the story (like Remi for example)
23%
GRIMMYIcewolfHowGreatThouArtTWSimGamer82VibseWritin_RegGLEichholzSimberella777ChelleJofallenangel66annaliese39ParmaViolet87WulfsimmerKarababy52joleacoZeeGeeHermitgirlScobredomina89townie1010 26 votes
I don’t watch machinima
40%
Colorist40SimpatsyannmcruddIsb917MeteoraStormStrangerthanMariefoxprice83friendlysimmersDJQ1308SimpkinScarbo27VuloriKirbySkywalkerCeyllynnduhboy2u2TrashDeBluncjupkmnClassicalSimSajahifullspiral 45 votes

Comments

• ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    Ok here are some samples for those of you who don't know much about machinima. These are my favorites so I think you will enjoy!

First is the voice over by Rayplex pictures. This is an episode promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMgucLNXIY0
    Next the subtitles and my FAVORITE series. This girl is amazing at filming and story telling. Here is episode 1 of Season 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCiatEeLJXc&t=385s
    And then for neither voices or subtitles, the absolute master of course - Remi. And the explanation of Bella Goth's disappearance! There are lots of videos about Bella but this is my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c8ym37agr4
    Bumpity bump :)
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Remi does some great machinama's, but haven't qite found another creator like that that can bring a story to just have sims play it out with no words.

I don't mind sub-titles in most of them less they start getting too wordy and boring to keep my interest. @SimStories I think does it fairly well keeping a pretty decent balance.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • IyasenuIyasenu Posts: 325 Member
    Voice over (voice actors)
    I like voice acted ones, even if all characters are done by the same person putting on different voices.
    Not exactly the most refined example, but this is a guilty pleasure of mine, as far as Sim stories go.
    I guess I don't really go for the super-serious stories, but it's not like I'm a connoisseur either.
    Well yay! We finally got some votes for voice acting.

The reason for this poll is because the annual Sims Film Fest is kicking off and machinima just doesn't seem as popular as back when EA produced machinima themselves and also highlighted really good creators of machinima on their YouTube channel. Don't know why the change? They did some awesome stuff. Was curious about simmers' opinions.
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    Remi does some great machinama's, but haven't qite found another creator like that that can bring a story to just have sims play it out with no words.

@LadyKyn Remi is the absolute best. I think he must be a professional because his editing skills knock the socks off of anything I've seen, even at the cinema. I've done a few episodes just using music. One was what happened on Erik Darling and Agnes Crumplebottom's honeymoon, and one was about why Cornelia and Gunther are estranged when Sunset Valley boots up. But my editing skills are nowhere near as advanced as Remi.

@lyasenu Well that is..... I don't know what to say!!
    Another goodie, a music video produced by EA when EA still did machinima. You'll laugh, you'll cry and you'll see Lady A as sims!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfAg6w4Cwto
  • KoteykaKoteyka Posts: 537 Member
    Subtitles
    I prefer subtitles. All of my favourite simmers make lets plays with 2-3 minute machinimas in the beginning/end of the video that move the plot of the story. And they mostly use subtitles or nothing at all. I find voiceovers slightly cringey but maybe that's just me.
    @Koteyka A 2-3 minute machinima followed by a Let's Play? I've not heard of that before. Would you link one so I can see what you're talking about?
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I've seen a few, some are really well done and I do like both voice overs, and subtitles, but sometimes I feel that some of them state too much of the obvious and could just let the pictures tell the story. Then it's up to an individuals interpretations, and I think that makes some of the stories more exciting. When I can imagine my own story to go with the pictures.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • KoteykaKoteyka Posts: 537 Member
    edited December 2018
    Subtitles
    @ZeeGee unfortunately I don't know any English simmers who do that. Here's a couple of links to some Russian ones, just to give you an idea:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xmoGw3S6wl4

https://youtube.com/watch?v=91nonsqG3OY

Russian simmers seem to add machinimas everywhere. Build videos, CAS videos, lets plays... It's awesome :D
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Subtitles
    Okay so to be fair, I've only watched two series by one creator, so my opinion is absed on what she did since I really loved them (kitsparrow27 for anyone wondering, Sims 2 machinima from quite a bit ago. I just really loved her ability to tell story).

Back in the heyday of Sims 2 I also did like machinima that was done as a music video for the song that was playing, but copyright has probably ruined that 😅 the Bella Goth video is also excellent, though it's the only Remi video I've watched. I imagine I'd be pretty averse to voice actors, because they're not necessarily experienced as such, but I haven't seen any, and I'm sure there are quality ones out there.

Again, most of my opinions are pretty dated. I haven't watched any machinima since...like...before Sims 3. I don't know why, but I just kind of assumed it died off after the move from 2 to 3.
  • Simberella777Simberella777 Posts: 480 Member
    I really just love watching the Sims and what they do, how they react, to see how the story plays out. I can use my imagination in what I see to figure out the story and it really moves me. If the story is played out well, like Remi's, it really says it all. I don't need words or explanations to understand what is going on.

For that reason, I feel that if it has to be explained with voice over or subtitles, the picture story just doesn't show all that should be. I'd rather just read the story in that case. I don't really like it when the sims mouths are so robotically moving to imply talking. It is too fake and distracting to the story. Yes, I do agree those other stories are also very good and each one has their special place. It's just simply a preference for me.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I don’t watch machinima
    My absolute favourite thing about machinima is the word itself. I love it even though I don't really even know how to pronounce it, I think it's a funny word.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    Subtitles
    Partly bc I’m used to reading subtitles to certain shows, I’m not always fond of voice acting bc sometimes the recording is poor quality.
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited December 2018
    I don’t watch machinima
    Appreciate the recommendations. I haven't watched any machinima yet. (Machinimas? What is the plural here?) Not against it--just haven't gotten around to it. It feels a bit like the world of fanfic to me--there's lots and lots of stuff out there and some is really good, but finding the good stuff can be tricky without someone to help navigate it.

Probably subtitles would be my preferred version to try first.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    I've seen a few, some are really well done and I do like both voice overs, and subtitles, but sometimes I feel that some of them state too much of the obvious and could just let the pictures tell the story. Then it's up to an individuals interpretations, and I think that makes some of the stories more exciting. When I can imagine my own story to go with the pictures.

@ChelleJo That’s a good point. And I agree! If you can use video or the sims to tell the story, subtitles would just interfere.
    @Koteyka That is really amazing! I've seen a lot of Russian machinima on YouTube but don't watch cause it's frustrating to not understand what's being said. I wish the English community would jump on the machinima bandwagon too!
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Before I discovered Remi, this machinima was my absolute favorite. Jaydee was the master in my opinion.

https://youtu.be/f6PWfZWQ9R4
  • Simberella777Simberella777 Posts: 480 Member
    edited December 2018
    Yours is a very good one @Karababy52. I started out only from a dance machinima which was really cute, and I liked it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YylMviddbvk

It actually got me interested to see more. Then I saw Remi's BELLA GOTH: THE LAST HOPE, and I was blown away. I love watching them now. There really are good ones out there.
    Post edited by Simberella777 on
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    @Simberella777 I agree! It's one of the best, if not THE best for it's day in my opinion. It amazed me what Jaydee could do with what little was available to work with in that game. She was very talented. But anyway, yeah, Remi is the current master, I absolutely adore his series on Bella, it's a machinima masterpiece. I've made exactly one, a music video using TS2 and it took me months to do and it wasn't anywhere near those machinimas. I still love mine though, it was a labor of love to my favorite recording artist. :)

BTW, I've seen that one you posted, it is cute. There's some TS2 KPop music/dance videos that are really good too I found when I was looking around for dance mods when I made mine. I'd have to do some digging to find them though. They were quite popular back then so shouldn't be hard to find. I personally don't care for that music genre, but the machinimas were very, very well done!

Happy Simming Y'all! <3
    luxsylvan wrote: »
    Okay so to be fair, I've only watched two series by one creator, so my opinion is absed on what she did since I really loved them (kitsparrow27 for anyone wondering, Sims 2 machinima from quite a bit ago. I just really loved her ability to tell story).

Back in the heyday of Sims 2 I also did like machinima that was done as a music video for the song that was playing, but copyright has probably ruined that 😅 the Bella Goth video is also excellent, though it's the only Remi video I've watched. I imagine I'd be pretty averse to voice actors, because they're not necessarily experienced as such, but I haven't seen any, and I'm sure there are quality ones out there.

Again, most of my opinions are pretty dated. I haven't watched any machinima since...like...before Sims 3. I don't know why, but I just kind of assumed it died off after the move from 2 to 3.

@luxsylvan Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look up kitsparrow27. I love a good story!

I do love music videos. Copyright hasn't ruined them *yet*. You can use just about any song as long as your channel isn't monetized. Article 13 which will probably take effect in January will ruin all that. :tongue: At least for people in the EU, which will probably carry over to other countries.

Actually Sims 3 has tons of machinima, even by EA! You have to look waaaay back on their YouTube to find it. The open world made it very 'movie like' to film maybe? Anyway, there's lots out there still.
    edited December 2018
    I don't really like it when the sims mouths are so robotically moving to imply talking. It is too fake and distracting to the story. Yes, I do agree those other stories are also very good and each one has their special place. It's just simply a preference for me.

@Simberella777 Haha I was guilty of that in my beginning days, the robotic moving mouths. :lol: Thanks for your insightful opinion. :)
    Sorry I'm getting through your comments so slow. Between work and trying to watch some of the videos y'all have recommended it's slow going!
    My absolute favourite thing about machinima is the word itself. I love it even though I don't really even know how to pronounce it, I think it's a funny word.

@AlbaWaterhouse 'muh-SHIN-uh-muh' :wink: