Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Member or new Member? Everything you need to know ;)

Comments

• KHippieKHippie Posts: 18 Member
    Does it need some time to activate the member status ? I have 48 points and 17 posts, what am I missing ?
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,521 Member
    KHippie wrote: »
    Does it need some time to activate the member status ? I have 48 points and 17 posts, what am I missing ?

Hello @KHippie
    Try logging out of the site then logging back in again and see if that shows you as a full member.
  • KHippieKHippie Posts: 18 Member
    Thank you.
    Indeed, loggout and loggin did the trick. Should have thought about it :)
    KHippie wrote: »
    Thank you.
    Indeed, loggout and loggin did the trick. Should have thought about it :)

You’re welcome :) Congratulations on becoming a full member !
  • unmogunmog Posts: 54 Member
    Just wanted to say, I think 25 points is a bit steep. Granted I wasn't around for whatever trolling epidemic happened but it seems there would be better ways to handle it. If anything it should be less than the total posts needed, like 10, especially since it was stated people are discouraged from giving new people like myself likepoints. Especially since not everyone is created equally "likable", like those with social disabilities. (I have aspergers)

As a new person tho, I guess my opinion doesn't really matter. Sorry for the negativity, just expressing the dislike of the current system. If anything it discourages new people from interacting much if they get penalized for people not "liking" them.
    moogle-gif-3.gif
    Hello @unmog
    Simmers aren’t discouraged from pressing likes or awesome or insightful on posts made by new members, and everyone on the forums is the same whether they have health issues or not. We don’t know the background details of fellow simmers, and it doesn’t affect whether a simmer is given a like or not.
    Everyone’s opinion on all simming things matters, whether they are a new member or a full member.
    We all share the same interest which is enjoying simming.
    > @rosemow said:
    > Hello @unmog
    > Simmers aren’t discouraged from pressing likes or awesome or insightful on posts made by new members

Well in the original post it said this~
    Please abstain from GIVING points to new members or creating threads to ask for points.

Maybe it should be edited then?
    moogle-gif-3.gif
    unmog wrote: »
    > @rosemow said:
    > Hello @unmog
    > Simmers aren’t discouraged from pressing likes or awesome or insightful on posts made by new members

Please abstain from GIVING points to new members or creating threads to ask for points.

What the simmer who started this thread wrote may have been written in a little bit unclear way. They didn’t mean for members to not give likes to new members.
    > @rosemow said:
    They didn’t mean for members to not give likes to new members.

Well, that's why I used the word "discouraged" since it certainly didn't seem encouraging.
    moogle-gif-3.gif
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    > @rosemow said:
    > Hello @unmog

@unmog, Congrats on becoming a full member... :)

See the thing is is that we have/had new members who create postings that really have nothing to do with the topic/s. Some new members would just create postings with random letters/numbers, postings that only ask "Please like this post so that I can can become a member!" in other threads or on their walls. Well those are the types of postings that the OP is talking about, the ones where the creator is asking/begging for points. The site does encourage postings in threads just as long as the postings keep with the topic of the thread or otherwise it would be consider as spam and can be removed by the management team.

The rule below states that any postings created asking for points will be closed as it's goal is to influence others to help boost up points.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/922566/forum-dos-and-donts#latest
    Cheat to rank up. Level up your forum account just like you would level up in one of our games, by participating and not by cheating. Any threads posted to boost points or otherwise influence your forum rank directly will be closed.

The management team had already adjusted the points system from the 50 points and 30 posts to 25 points and 15 posts to make leveling up to member a lot quicker than it was before.

lisasc360 wrote: »

The management team had already adjusted the points system from the 50 points and 30 posts to 25 points and 15 posts to make leveling up to member a lot quicker than it was before.

Thanks~

And I get that, but a lot of the restrictions don't seem to make much sense to me. It'd be nice at least if they unlocked certain things a little bit at a time ya know? Like at 10 points being able to edit your own post, or at 20 allowing you to make an avatar etc. I didn't get the required points until well after 30 posts, which is double what the requirement was, meaning maybe the amount of points should have been closer to half. Maybe thats just my experience and people have got the points faster, but thats the only experience I have so maybe my opinion is biased. The only saving grace was certain things awarded "bonus" points, else I'd never have made it I think. Things like being quoted, or a bonus for reaching 5 likes. Heck even just allowing us to upload an avatar earlier would have helped, since that awarded me 10 points, at which time I no longer needed them.

TLDR, I know it's been adjusted already to be less cruel, I just think it could still use more tinkering from my experience with it.
    moogle-gif-3.gif
  • PRINCESSReyPRINCESSRey Posts: 403 Member
    edited December 2018

Thanks~

And I get that, but a lot of the restrictions don't seem to make much sense to me. It'd be nice at least if they unlocked certain things a little bit at a time ya know? Like at 10 points being able to edit your own post, or at 20 allowing you to make an avatar etc. I didn't get the required points until well after 30 posts, which is double what the requirement was, meaning maybe the amount of points should have been closer to half. Maybe thats just my experience and people have got the points faster, but thats the only experience I have so maybe my opinion is biased. The only saving grace was certain things awarded "bonus" points, else I'd never have made it I think. Things like being quoted, or a bonus for reaching 5 likes. Heck even just allowing us to upload an avatar earlier would have helped, since that awarded me 10 points, at which time I no longer needed them.

TLDR, I know it's been adjusted already to be less cruel, I just think it could still use more tinkering from my experience with it.

Hi unmog,
    I definitely see your viewpoints there are many systems based on quality posts that are awarded points not like The Sims forum and your not biased your allowed to have a respectful viewpoint. EA also are allowed to have there own rules so both of you are not wrong or right the reason this system is in place is to prevent spam and harmful things.

I see and understand the like , insightful and awesome my points go up and down which is frustrating at times but also we don't want to bump posts up if they aren't quality listen the system is changing all the time so for now if I were you keep commenting good feedback , help others who are stuck in the sims games forum and remember stay on Topic this will get you farther.

Also don't be afraid about asking questions about sims games just make sure the topic matches the comments.

Also try to welcome others this is how the system works but you should be a general member soon ;).

Kindest Regards
    Katrina
    edited December 2018

Thanks~

@unmog,
    You're welcome... :)

Well when this site first opened up back in 2014, we had New Members who was posting pictures of adult nature on the site either in their postings or as their avatar which is why new members cannot have an avatar at the start of the membership. Banning these members didn't help as they would just make a new account and continue on with their unwanted postings until they got banned again and the cycle would continue. So the management team had disabled adding/changing the profile picture for everyone, old/new members until they could work out a system that would keep would be trolls off of the site.

The system is to discourage the type of behavior that was taking place during the early days of this site since we are not required to register any of our Sims games to be able to participate on the site as we have sections for the older Sims games such as TS, TS2, TSM. So it's safe to say that the codes for those games have already been registered on the sites that was created for them when they came out, so the codes would be no good for this site if there had been some sort of game registration for this site. Now TS3 was a different story with the registration codes since EA had the old forums moved over here when the site first opened. So if the team ever decides to add some type of game registration, then the TS3 players would be set to go as we have our old threads from the old site over here.

And actually there had been talk about adding some type of game registration to the site but it would had been mainly be TS3 and TS4 sections that would be included in the registration process. This had been talked about about 1-2 years ago as a way to keep TS3/TS4 players from disrupting threads with negative comments. In other words, if you registered a TS3 game, then you would be able to view and comment in the TS3 section and the same for TS4 players, they would be able to comment in that section. And if a player had both registered, then they could post in both sections. Now some TS4 sections would had been left open for everyone to post in such as the ideas section and I believe the Creative Corner section where as the TS4 GD, EP/SP sections would be closed off to anyone who doesn't have TS4. As for the TS, TS2 and TSM players, they would still be able to access to their respected forum section but not TS3 or some parts of TS4 unless they had one or both of those games registered to the site.

And to be honest about the idea of allowing new members to have an avatar at 20 points, I believe that it would be a bad idea as it would be too easy for these internet trolls to achieve. And I say that because if they know that they can have an avatar at 10 points, then they would play nice for the time being to be able to reach that 10 point mark and then switch gears and start adding pictures as their profile picture that would be unsuited for this site. I know this system can be quite frustrating for some but it's a necessary evil to keep the site a safe and fun environment for the new and current members. When a site ends up becoming not so fun anymore or people don't feel safe on that site, they tend to leave that site for another either created by them or by other forum members to keep out such activity that was going on on the official site. And EA would not want people to leave for other sites due to it not being fun and safe for the forum members.

Sorry that this is so long but I tend to get into these rants when someone complains about the system and how it's so unfair for new members when they first come. But I tend to point out the issues that they site had in the early days so that the new member/s that are complaining can get an understanding on why this system needs to be put in place. And I will say that since the management team had slashed the points/posts requirements in half that it doesn't take as long for new members to become full members whereas it took days or even weeks for new members to reach full membership with the old points/posts requirements.

Happy simming!... :)
    Post edited by lisasc360 on
  • PRINCESSReyPRINCESSRey Posts: 403 Member

Thanks~

@unmog,
    You're welcome... :)

Well when this site first opened up back in 2014, we had New Members who was posting pictures of adult nature on the site either in their postings or as their avatar which is why new members cannot have an avatar at the start of the membership. Banning these members didn't help as they would just make a new account and continue on with their unwanted postings until they got banned again and the cycle would continue. So the management team had disabled adding/changing the profile picture for everyone, old/new members until they could work out a system that would keep would be trolls off of the site.

The system is to discourage the type of behavior that was taking place during the early days of this site since we are not required to register any of our Sims games to be able to participate on the site as we have sections for the older Sims games such as TS, TS2, TSM. So it's safe to say that the codes for those games have already been registered on the sites that was created for them when they came out, so the codes would be no good for this site if there had been some sort of game registration for this site. Now TS3 was a different story with the registration codes since EA had the old forums moved over here when the site first opened. So if the team ever decides to add some type of game registration, then the TS3 players would be set to go as we have our old threads from the old site over here.

And actually there had been talk about adding some type of game registration to the site but it would had been mainly be TS3 and TS4 sections that would be included in the registration process. This had been talked about about 1-2 years ago as a way to keep TS3/TS4 players from disrupting threads with negative comments. In other words, if you registered a TS3 game, then you would be able to view and comment in the TS3 section and the same for TS4 players, they would be able to comment in that section. And if a player had both registered, then they could post in both sections. Now some TS4 sections would had been left open for everyone to post in such as the ideas section and I believe the Creative Corner section where as the TS4 GD, EP/SP sections would be closed off to anyone who doesn't have TS4. As for the TS, TS2 and TSM players, they would still be able to access to their respected forum section but not TS3 or some parts of TS4 unless they had one or both of those games registered to the site.

And to be honest about the idea of allowing new members to have an avatar at 10 points, I believe that it would be a bad idea as it would be too easy for these internet trolls to achieve. And I say that because if they know that they can have an avatar at 10 points, then they would play nice for the time being to be able to reach that 10 point mark and then switch gears and start adding pictures as their profile picture that would be unsuited for this site. I know this system can be quite frustrating for some but it's a necessary evil to keep the site a safe and fun environment for the new and current members. When a site ends up becoming not so fun anymore or people don't feel safe on that site, they tend to leave that site for another either created by them or by other forum members to keep out such activity that was going on on the official site. And EA would not want people to leave for other sites due to it not being fun and safe for the forum members.

Sorry that this is so long but I tend to get into these rants when someone complains about the system and how it's so unfair for new members when they first come. But I tend to point out the issues that they site had in the early days so that the new member/s that are complaining can get an understanding on why this system needs to be put in place. And I will say that since the management team had slashed the points/posts requirements in half that it doesn't take as long for new members to become full members whereas it took days or even weeks for new members to reach full membership with the old points/posts requirements.

Happy simming!... :)

Hi There,
    Completely agree with I am sorry your not a Member yet but I had to screen , report these types of issues in volunteering for a forum these rules will keep you safe enough in our forums I give a great clap to everyone who cleans these forums it's the safest, cleanest I ever been in. There are moments where I've seent the worst and had to report to supervisor.

You may not understand now but in future you will be a member ;) until then use my tips, and make this your New Year's Resolution if you don't have any planned would be a fun start to a New Year of 2019 :):):).
  • crunchies4mecrunchies4me Posts: 30 Member
    Is there forums for sims 3? i dont like sim 4 much and dont have sim 1 or 2
  • I have only 14 points and I have been here for two years, I just earned my second anniversary badge. I am very amused by this whole situation.
    I have only 14 points and I have been here for two years, I just earned my second anniversary badge. I am very amused by this whole situation.

Hello @Riverspirit123456789
    As you post on the threads,you will soon gain the points needed for you to become a full member. Just in case you didn’t know, the number of points and posts needed to become a full member has changed since this thread was started. You now need to have 25 points and 15 posts before you can become a full member. This thread explain about it.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/934205/small-change-for-new-members#latest
  • Thank you very much Rosemow
  • harvestmeadowharvestmeadow Posts: 18 Member
    I have been a member for 5 years and still can't start my own thread. What's wrong?
    I have been a member for 5 years and still can't start my own thread. What's wrong?

@harvestmeadow, you still need to make 9 more posts in the forums and then you should be a full member... :)

Hello @harvestmeadow
    You need to be a full menber to be able to start your own threads.
    You need to have 25points and 15 posts before you can become a full member and can then have an Avi picture, post pictures, have a signature, start new threads, edit posts , post links that show up correctly and have quotes appear in grey boxes .

You have the required points, but just need to have some more posts on threads that other simmers have already started.
  • harvestmeadowharvestmeadow Posts: 18 Member
    @lisasc360 and @rosemow thanks for the information. It is super helpful. So I just linger about and try to answer questions where I can. Thanks a bunch.
    @lisasc360 and @rosemow thanks for the information. It is super helpful. So I just linger about and try to answer questions where I can. Thanks a bunch.

You're welcome @harvestmeadow... :) Or you could even go over to the Off Topic section and play some of the word/story games over there as they will help you get to member status as well... :)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top