Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you use a height slider?

I've been thinking about downloading one for more diversity, but the animations make me reconsider, so I'm wondering what everyone thinks.
sims 2&3 my beloved♥

Do you use a height slider? 92 votes

Yes
18%
Deshong04Amphoracwaddelljillbggamerplaya94igazorSonata13Singerilikethesims30TadOlsonWaytoomanyUIDsSilvakristiinaBlueSargent300MendotaLinamintslowpolygalLeosimsStillSimlish 17 votes
No
76%
EvalenEmily4331HejixCheesySimsLoverstoryyRflong7Jessa_DakkarStormkeepelanorbretonParyCororondreamerz13VexingQueryApparentlyAwesomemonjr8302MikezumiemorrillJoAnne65JennyggSimplyJen 70 votes
Used to, not anymore
5%
aricaraiSillyhartluvSindocatmysterionzHeyItsJenXo 5 votes

Comments

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    No
    Haven't tried it w/ TS3 yet but I'm using a height slider in TS4. I suspect there's not that much of a difference between the two games using this type of mod. The animations are of course affected and will not line up perfectly (as you mentioned). I only make slight adjustments avoiding major height differences. How noticeable the in-game animations will depend on how much you use the slider.

If you're using it with custom poses... I've heard you can use OMSP (One More Slot Please) to line up the poses better... but don't quote me on that. :p
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    Yes
    I only use it sparingly. I’m obsessive enough in my gameplay that the wonky interactions due to the height differences bother me too much.

I mostly use it only if there is a reason behind it or for story purposes. For example, I use the slider on my werewolves to make them some of the tallest sims in the neighborhood.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2018
    Yes
    Yes! It does goof up the animations between sims sometimes, but I don't care. Very tall sims clip or stick out when under the bed covers. I've got gentle giants dating and partnered with short sims. Kissing is a mess, they keep hitting each other's necks, noses, or foreheads, and a few other interactions like that end up out of alignment, but I would never dream of letting such get in the way of true love. Besides, it's not polite to stare. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    Yes
    I use them to adjust heights of child sims as they get older and to shorten a newly aged up child to reflect the height a three year old should be as that's how they are when they age up from a toddler.I also want eight year olds to be taller than a three year old so even if they dress the same you can still tell which one is older by height.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    No
    No. I can't stand the messed up animations. They're bad enough as it is sometimes lol, I don't need to make it worse.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2018
    No
    I’m fine with all sims having the same height and animations being messed up would bother me more (I’m even bothered when it happens on uneven terrain). I would have preferred males being a bit taller than females, but at the same time I can understand why that would require a lot of extra work animation wise*. I’m fine with the fact they decided to spend that time on other things.

*it would be nice if there’d be a way to develop animations where hands/legs/eyes/mouths/whatever sims use during interactions automatically are linked. Then different heights wouldn’t matter, it would always look correct.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ShepardShepard Posts: 125 Member
    No
    No I haven't, in fear of animation clipping - that stuff just turns me off. But I really would like a height slider or different heights on ages like teen and YA, that was made by the developers - without bugs and stuff. It wouldn't have to be much difference in heights either, just a little for variation's sake.
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    Yes
    Ansolutely! I've always got a thing for tall men ;)
    NymlADp.jpg
  • VexingQueryVexingQuery Posts: 2,180 Member
    No
    I've never even tried. The animations being all messed up would bother me way too much, and mess up all my pictures. And I love taking pictures of my sims in action.

What good is a tall and intimidating, or petite and adorable, partner if every time you go in for a kiss, someone gets a mouth to the eyeball? Or they can't sit on chairs right?

No thanks.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Yes
    I used to think I wouldn't be able to get over the mismatched animations but ended up appreciating the diversity of different heights so much that I started not to care about the animations being performed incorrectly. I mostly use the height slider for kids and teens to visually demonstrate different ages in my custom life span.
    If you make two Sims the same height whether short or tall, anywhere in-between the animations should always align correctly with each other. But some animations/interactions won't be the same with the height altered slightly and/or dramatically. I use NRass MC to be able to see the numeric slider value so I can be precise if I want the heights of two Sims or more to be exact. Here are some examples from my game.
    Screenshot-550.jpg
    Screenshot-325.jpg
    Screenshot-198.jpg
    Screenshot-2784.jpg
    Screenshot-3219.jpg
    Screenshot-3293.jpg
    Screenshot-499.jpg
    Screenshot-474.jpg
    Screenshot-373.jpg
    Screenshot-421.jpg
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
    Yes
    @Deshong04 I use cmar's sliders and have MC. Could you, please, tell me how to get numbers on the sliders? It would facilitate things... :)
    NymlADp.jpg
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    No
    Don´t like the messed up animations. It´s bad enough, if you want to stage a romantic date at the beach and the sims keep kissing each others chins and stuff, because of the uneven terrain. :D
    I really would have liked it to be included in the game though, but of course it would have been very difficult.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Yes
    jillbg wrote: »
    @Deshong04 I use cmar's sliders and have MC. Could you, please, tell me how to get numbers on the sliders? It would facilitate things... :)

NRass > Master Controller > Settings > CAS > Show Numeric Slider Value

I think that's the correct.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
    Yes
    @Deshong04 Thanks! :)
    NymlADp.jpg
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    No
    I think the misaligned animations would upset me too much. Besides, when it comes to my sims, I only see their faces and height is unimportant. Having said that, I am quite short so it might be fun to reflect that in my SS since she rarely has romantic relationships so the animations wouldn't matter.

@jillbg I also have a thing for tall men! The men in my life have always been at least a foot taller than me :) Then what did I do? I went and married and 5'10" shortie! LOL Still, he was 9 inches taller than me so I guess it's relative ;)
    Yes
    @Mikezumi I'm happy as long as I can wear heels and stay "short" which can be difficult as I'm 5'57! :)
    NymlADp.jpg
  • Lilypink79Lilypink79 Posts: 115 Member
    No
    I've never tried them purely because of how they mess up animations
    I've got 99 problems and TS4 glitches are 99 of them
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    Yes
    When I am playing TS3, yes. I don't seem many issues with animations because I generally go for mild or moderate changes.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    Yes
    Here's why I use height sliders as I don't want children to stay the exact same hight for six years as they are three year olds on entering the child stage and they move on from it on their ninth birthdays.
    Here's an expample of height sliders on two children.The older one is eight while her little sister is three.The taller one is older while the smaller child is the youngest.
    30300169394_184a88b8f7_b.jpg
    Side view showing the height difference in the two children.
    31121016365_9761b7d5db_b.jpg
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Used to, not anymore
    I played with one, but not anymore. It throws kissing animations out of whack.
  • aglitteringsimmeraglitteringsimmer Posts: 56 Member
    No
    I've always wanted to try one but been cautious because of the animations. Which sliders do you guys use?
    An average simmer wasting her life away
    --just kidding, will find a photo of my fave sim soon--
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    edited December 2018
    Yes
    I use the height slider by Cmar now. You can adjust height up or down. I use it to make the male sims taller, a little for some and a lot for others.

I originally used an old one by Delphy that could only be adjusted up. I would not recommend that one. If you made your sim very tall their feet would twitch. Unfortunately if you download a sim whose height was adjusted using that slider the sim's height is taller in your game but you can not adjust the height back to normal without also having that slider.

ETA: So I have both sliders in my game but I only use the old one to put that slider back to zero on sims that have their height adjusted using it.
    Post edited by cwaddell on
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    No
    Not at the moment playing vanilla, no, but that would be one of my first modifications. Always towering over people in real life this really is a big part of social interactions and I miss it reflected in the game; chopped up animations exist in real life too (and no pun intended).
  • Purplepiper767Purplepiper767 Posts: 77 Member
    No
    TadOlson wrote: »
    I use them to adjust heights of child sims as they get older and to shorten a newly aged up child to reflect the height a three year old should be as that's how they are when they age up from a toddler.I also want eight year olds to be taller than a three year old so even if they dress the same you can still tell which one is older by height.

There’s a mod for that.

http://modthesims.info/d/490536/grow.html
  • LeosimsLeosims Posts: 47 Member
    Yes
    I use It because Its so good!