Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Love the new sketch pad....BUT....

....it could use a few tweaks.
  1. I had my artist use the sketch pad, and the paintings didn't count towards his Daily Task of Create Paintings. I think that should be fixed.
  2. I dislike that Sims using the pad will stop halfway through a painting then set the pad down -- is there a way they could automatically put it back in their inventory? I'm always having to hunt around the lot to find where they left it. (Same issue with the Wabbit Tablet but you expect toddlers to leave stuff all over the place.)
  3. Related to the previous suggestion, I'd also like them to finish a painting before putting the sketch pad down or away.

Other than that, I really like the item -- when my Sims build up some money (I just moved them to a bigger house so cash is at a premium) I want to send at least one of my artists to Selvadorada to sketch the scenery.
Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)

Comments

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Regarding the first point...a sketch is not a painting, any artist will tell you that, even one whose medium of choice IS sketching. No reason they couldn't make the daily task be an either or thing though, of course. . . I just wanted to nit pick for the sake of artistic integrity.

Regarding #2...I so agree. I hate toddlers doing it with the Wabbit Tablet too. Like you said, makes sense...but it still drives me nuts.
    I've been watching for a mod to correct the behaviour with the sketch pad...but haven't seen one yet.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,544 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    Regarding the first point...a sketch is not a painting, any artist will tell you that, even one whose medium of choice IS sketching. No reason they couldn't make the daily task be an either or thing though, of course. . . I just wanted to nit pick for the sake of artistic integrity.

Regarding #2...I so agree. I hate toddlers doing it with the Wabbit Tablet too. Like you said, makes sense...but it still drives me nuts.
    I've been watching for a mod to correct the behaviour with the sketch pad...but haven't seen one yet.

Oh, you beat me to it @Stormkeep. A sketch pad is for sketches as in generally pencil, or even pastels (a refined chalk).
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »

I get that -- but you can paint full paintings on the electronic sketchpad (same ones you can on the easel, with the addition of "sketch impression" I think. So it's more an electronic easel. It produces a full painting which automatically goes into the inventory (if you want to choose whether to sell to a collector or art gallery you have to drag it to an empty wall and chooks from there).
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello
    You may like to post feeback on the first issue on this AHQ EA thread
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Digital-Sketch-Pad-not-fulfilling-Painter-Aspiration-Career/m-p/7180422#M77353

This thread refers to the second issue .
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Sim-reset-on-several-interactions-food-homework-reading/m-p/7166222#M75954
    If there is a pool on the lot, try editing it and see if that helps.

I hit the Me Too for the first one -- thanks. Not quite what I'm hitting on the second one -- they don't reset, they start the painting then set down the tablet; if outside they'll put it on the ground or the picnic table, or if inside they'll often put it on a table or the fireplace mantel. And I have no pool on my home lot which is where it tends to happen.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    @stilljustme2, Okay...that's very cool. I have prints of original artwork on my wall IRL that were 'painted' digitally. My favorite art piece that I own is by an artist that does everything digitally, so it totally makes sense.

Definitely looking forward to playing with that in game. I wasn't aware that the sketchpad I've heard people talk about for the game was digital.

This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I have not tried the sketchpad (or the Style Influencer career yet), but I should since a lot of my Sims are artists. Regarding the fact it doesn't count toward the Painter career task, I agree with @Stormkeep it would be cool if they could update it to say 'Paint or Sketch'. I get a sketch isn't a fully completed painting, so maybe your Sim would have to do more sketches than paintings to fulfill the task or something? Just an idea... *shrugs* :)
  • AshuravedaAshuraveda Posts: 1 New Member
    For one thing the digital pad is basically a graphic tablet like a portable wacom, I would argue digital art is a different set of skills then traditional art in real life but I think in the end it should count toward create paintings tasks unless they want to have it count as a different skill like yoga makes your sims fitness improve but doesn't bring up the fitness skill. for another thing, I think it should have a practice drawing interaction that allows you to focus your sim on improving art skill similar to practice writing on the computers