Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Project Fenbury

Comments

• Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    There isn't much to see as most of the work I have done relates to the sub project, Christmas Fenbury. However this is quite an interesting community lot. This year marks the 100th anniversary of the establishment of the Royal Air Force. Although it is seen as the Junior Service the contribution the RAF has made since it's inception has been considerable. Certainly during WW2 it was all that stood between us and invasion after the Dunkirk evacuation.

So I wanted a little tribute of my own and I have created RAF Fenbury. Many little airfields were set up during WW2 on the edges of villages and towns and Fenbury was no different, especially given it's proximity to the English Channel. Now you may wonder where the runway is, well, as with a lot of these little airfields this was given back to farmland in the late 1940s. However Fenbury air station remained open as a basic training establishment for new recruits and makes an ideal base for the military career. The only nod to flying is the heli pad on the parade ground.

I just wish I was more gifted in adjusting brick work. The buildings look brand new :/ The lot isn't complete, I have yet to find a suitable sign and I need something for the plinths at the side of the main stairs.

HE6XWUW.png
    epkehdW.png
    DdDcNwB.png
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Beautiful tribute. As for the brick work, I think you'll need old looking bricks for that. The game does have old walls (I believe all Store), not sure about brick walls though.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • fxchrfxchrfxchrfxchr Posts: 329 Member
    edited December 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Beautiful tribute. As for the brick work, I think you'll need old looking bricks for that. The game does have old walls (I believe all Store), not sure about brick walls though.

Maybe just darkening the colour of the bricks might help. I find even just making the grout darker helps. Yay CAST!
    Firby nurbs!
    fxchrfxchr wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Maybe just darkening the colour of the bricks might help. I find even just making the grout darker helps. Yay CAST!

When I have tried that before I tend to end up with orange bricks :D You are right though I should just persevere with CASt. I do have a lot of store content but had to uninstall a lot of it. EIG being the temperamental beast that it is does not like too much store content, so all I have loaded is the worlds and a few sets which I think appropriate for this build.

I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
    I played with CASt. Still not totally convinced it is the right colour for the brickwork, perhaps a little too pink. None the less better than the toytown red.

bt7xnB9.png

Sim enim est vita

Thank you for these :D

As much as I love CC I don't use it. The same with mods, although I will have to for the Fenbury rabbit holes. I try to keep things vanilla simply because I lack the IT skills to sort things out when they go wrong. Looking at these brick patterns though I am tempted to change my mind ...... :D

Sim enim est vita
  • KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    I've never had a problem with any CC ever. And I just won't play without Mods. It just makes the game so much more enjoyable.

EA patterns are just .... ewww! I never use them.
    I've never had a problem with any CC ever. And I just won't play without Mods. It just makes the game so much more enjoyable.

EA patterns are just .... ewww! I never use them.

I am very pleased for you. Having access to all of the cc must be fun. When I was putting builds up regularly on the Exchange I made the decision to make mine cc free. This was after a particularly disastrous attempt to download a mod which ended up with a trojan on my computer and involved a visit to the tech shop to sort it out. I simply pressed the wrong button because I did not fully understand what I was doing.

I find I can do quite a bit with CASt and have even played with CAP in the past.

Sim enim est vita
    8If7CGX.png

Last week was a bit of a disaster. I have never really got a chance to run a resort. Playing IP vanilla is just impossible. So one of my crack pot ideas was to build a resort in Fenbury. I though I had found a perfect spot to put the new lot but as it happened I made the building 3 stories plus foundation which meant it obscured the view of the church and the lighthouse. So I sat and sulked for a couple of days, in between writing Christmas cards, prezzie buying etc and decided some rejigging of lots along the seafront might be in order. So I have moved the pitch and put closer to the church and rebuilt the resort on the old pitch and put lot. This means the views still work the way I wanted. The picture is of the resort is above. It is very much a work in progress. I have named it Hotel Splendide. The building to the left is the Palm Court appartments.

Sim enim est vita
    A little early but I offer you a seasonal gift.

Season's Greetings from Fenbury

SMS1WW2.png

hUsmwTj.png

cFnNXRg.png

8SnVqOE.png

j3TsxjK.png

D62AYFK.png

2f0xSne.png

T9dy70l.png

80TAdBw.png

BTpm4CB.png

Rak6Lv1.png

2KUgrSJ.png

I have been wanting to see what Fenbury looks like with the different seasons and thought I would share with you pictures of it in the snow. These include some of my favourite builds. Forgive the composition but I am no artist. Hard to believe because we always associate seaside towns with summer and lots of sunshine (perhaps not in the UK) but the seaside in winter can be just as beautiful especially when it snows.

Lastly may I wish you a happy, healthy, prosperous and peaceful New Year.

Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • EarcatEarcat Posts: 461 Member
    Merry Christmas! Fenbury is beautiful.
    Lovely! And Merry Christmas :smiley:
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,585 Member
    Lovely! Season's Greetings and Happy Holidays to you. :cookie:
    Happy New Year!

I have a list as long as my arm of things that still need doing to Fenbury. Sadly most of it leaves nothing to show on the thread so I thought I would concentrate my posts on the lots, all of which need more work and most of which need their interiors doing. I have a couple more builds to do and I may add some extra lots for building at a later date.

Anyway I have been tidying up the Tudor townhouses. One of these I plan as a townie home.

NuUT6jg.png

UisQp3p.png

The red doors need to be changed to a more subdued brown and the house on the right needs windows on the second and third floors.

cJ5C9Oo.png

The end house on the left hand side I will be using for townie accommodation. I have also been working on the Library. The front hasn't essentially changed apart from the addition of a car park. Most of the changes are at the back. I have also put street lighting in for the Tudor area. I thought the Belle Luxe light was just right for this area of the town.

Jfscwc6.png

MaAr9FT.png

Finally a little look at one of the messes I have yet to deal with. I need to experiment with the road leveling tool :)

SGnKsnP.png

Sim enim est vita
    I must say I quite like the red doors. Beautiful buildings!
    5JZ57S6.png
    Thank you @JoAnne65 :) for you I will leave the red doors :)

Sim enim est vita
    Haha, I feel honored! Looked again and I really like the colour in combination with the Tudor style and the windows.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Another week of concentrating on things that don't necessarily make good pictures.

I have been experimenting with spawners. I choose fish spawners and below is a pic of their placement in Fenbury Lake.

gkory0y.png

I have also added street lighting to the High Street.

On the left is Gupta Antiques, on the right is the Early Victorian houses, with the Bridge Inn just showing behind. In front over the bridge is the Hotel Splendide.

dkgsGtS.png

Most of the limited time I have had this week has been spent on doing the internal decorations for an Early Victorian house. I have gone for a sea theme but kept most of the original plaster work, with stripped pine flooring. I would show pictures but I am not sure it is appropriate for a CAW thread and the rooms are small so it is very difficult to capture a decent image.

The house in question is the one on the far right.

qN1fl6N.png

Sim enim est vita
    Looks lovely!
    5JZ57S6.png
    A busy week away from the computer and CAW. What little time there has been I have concentrated on spawners and water effects. One piece of fun was adding sail boats to where the river Fen meets the open sea.

ayidFiJ.png

To the beach I have added spawners and surf effects. I have also found a gaping great blue hole in the cliff face and am now wondering how best to repair it. Obviously I was a bit too enthusiastic when carving out the cliffs. It isn't visible until you approach the cliffs at water level. It probably wouldn't worry most people but it irks me.

sIxkwsQ.png

You may notice I have added some greenery behind the beach huts. The boxwood towards the front of the lot has been removed because there is no way it can grow if it is constantly being covered in sea water :D I have worked on the interior of the beach huts so the lot is now virtually complete.

Elsewhere I have added a pond to the graveyard so sims can fish for the Death Fish. I have started to streetlight the Promenade, worked on the interior of the Hotel Splendide and started looking at the Ultra Modern house on Riviera Drive. I can't say the decorating is going particularly well.

Hopefully I will have more to show next week but at the moment my mind is getting busy thinking of all the things we need for our new adoptees. We are homing two semi feral kittens. Adorable to look at but they will need a lot of help adjusting to human society. Wish us luck :)

Sim enim est vita
    I'm so sorry folks but there is unlikely to be an update post in the next couple of weeks. RL has intervened yet again. We have a very old, very sick relative so I am away from home quite a bit helping to look after them. When I am around I am spending what little time I have decorating the inside of lots. I am still not sure whether it is appropriate to share this on a thread dedicated to a CAW build. I do hope you understand but coming so soon after my own surgery I am spending most of my free time sleeping :D:D

Sim enim est vita
    Most of my free time has been spent decorating the inside of the Hotel Splendide. I have also done some further work on the Village Green, particularly round the pond. I am having trouble levelling the ground for the green and Betty's coffee shop so once I am satisfied with the green i will save the lots to the library and work on the terrain. I did manage to repair the hole in the cliff face but I need to be careful not to reopen it when levelling the terrain above or indeed upsetting the road link to the bridge.

Anyway

5Sahf9l.png

AxNOb3b.png

kFzxxlb.png

And I could not resist this which I took while testing the lighting.

4mDOFQ6.png

Sim enim est vita
  • HidehiHidehi Posts: 1,109 Member

Great to see more pictures of your lovely world @Bettyboop55 :) ... which hopefully means that you are feeling alright and have a bit more time to continue with your fab WIP.

I've been following the development of Fenbury since you started this thread and thought I should finally tell you that you are doing an awesome job building a whole Sims3 world from scratch!!!

I love your snippets of information into the background of your builds by the way and with the last pictures especially you've reminded me of quite a few real English coastal villages I was fortunate enough to be able to explore.

Enjoy working on your project and Happy Simming! :D x
    Hidehi wrote: »

Great to see more pictures of your lovely world @Bettyboop55 :) ... which hopefully means that you are feeling alright and have a bit more time to continue with your fab WIP.

I've been following the development of Fenbury since you started this thread and thought I should finally tell you that you are doing an awesome job building a whole Sims3 world from scratch!!!

I love your snippets of information into the background of your builds by the way and with the last pictures especially you've reminded me of quite a few real English coastal villages I was fortunate enough to be able to explore.

Enjoy working on your project and Happy Simming! :D x
    Thank you for your very kind words :)

I started this thread as a record for myself but I am so pleased other people are interested in the development of Fenbury. I am so appreciative of those kind posters who leave encouraging comments and helpful tips :)

I'm glad you find simalarities with real seaside towns as quite a few buildings are based on real ones. L
    As for RL I'm back on my feet but our elderly relative is not. I did start my rehab exercise class last week which was hard work but all part of the recovery process. The 80 year olds were doing better than me while I was a sweaty heap on the floor :D:D

Thank you again and know that when I see your builds I really wish I was as talented as you :)

Sim enim est vita