The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Everyone loses without a CAW tool

I wrote this in the general forums and thought it belonged in here instead

--
TS4's way of cutting corners is what's getting it into trouble.

This time, if they had at the onset of the game released basegame WITH a Create A World tool (or even released the tool short after) then instead of using up budget and resources making worlds for us, they could have dedicated that to debugging and adding new game play and content. We could have made our own worlds. And for those of us who suck at building, there's many capable and willing builders who would have undoubtedly created gorgeous worlds and put them up for download in the gallery. They said the tool was underused in ts3, but there's no need for everyone to be a building when we can all reap the benefits of CAW through the gallery.It would save money in the long run and attracted more ts2 and ts3 simmers to invest in ts4.

But of course, since we can't make our own worlds then:
  • a large chunk of the budget is used up by making worlds leading to empty feeling packs (not much new gameplay)
  • not as many people buy the game so the budget shrinks.
  • simmers are restricted to ONLY playing the vision of the gurus, since the worlds they like is what we get
  • we have to wait on them to add lots to the game, so we run out of room to build quickly
  • we can't tailor worlds for our machines so people with low-end computers get lag in complex worlds and people with high-end computers are unnecessarily restricted

No one wins in this scenario. Expansions are empty of gameplay. Worlds are tiny. Simmers are restricted. Computers lag.

Simmers are dissatisfied by the game, and the gurus hear nothing but complaints while juggling building and coding new game play. Even EA loses since not as many people buy the game.

Everyone loses.

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I get tired of their telemetry. lol I used CAW in TS3 for myself but never shared my worlds, so how do they know since 99% of all the time I never played while online, and I never let that dang launcher connect to internet, it was blocked. I'm smart enough to know they call home even if the game isn't being played but anytime my pc is connected to internet, but also smart enough to know how to block those hidden things from dialing out or sending any sort of message. So, their telemetry has to be skewed. :p
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,570 Member
    I totally agree. I didn't use CAW myself in TS2 or TS4, but that was because I used to only play with a single world in previous iterations. In TS4, I wouldn't need the new world we get with most EPs, I hardly have to time to fill them with builds I like (I'm very picky with that) so they end up unused and I end up frustrated because of the half empty worlds.

The creation of new worlds takes up an incredible amount of resscources that could easily spend with expanding the actual game play. With CAW, those players who like a lot of different worls could download custom created ones, choose the size and amount to their liking and players with lower end computers could maybe even delete some of the EA premade worlds and play with some of them. For instance, I heard of many people not playing in Oasis Springs at all, or not liking New Crest or Magnolian Promenade.

I never looked at it that way before (as I don't need CAW, so thanks a lot for opening my eyes to the extend of this issue, @DreamaDove . I hope EA will notice it, too, and react accordingly.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    I absolutely agree. I continually used to make worlds in CAW for myself and used them often. Very often! I absolutely loved being able to create my own environments for my sims and so miss this tool. The players imaginations used to be allowed to run free! Sims 4 is so restricted as it is, even though developers work hard to provide stuff for the players. However, no matter how much they add to the game, (necessarily restricted by developers' time) to offer tools which would allow players to expand their own creativity within the game would be amazing and I'm sure would gain many more players' votes.
  • unmogunmog Posts: 54 Member
    Myself, I wish they still left in the ability to texture our own clothes and such. Like that flower print? Put it on a skirt. Like that cheetah texture? Put it on a rug. I personally feel the 10 or so choices in colors for things is rather restrictive, and wish we could be as creative as we were in Sims3. Honestly it wouldn't matter if they even gave us just 1 choice of color if we could retexture things like we could before. :/

I also get how they probably had to make the loading screens so there's no point in having transportation anymore, but it'd still be nice to get a car and make a garage. Guess the best we can do now is buy a toy car and make it bigger and just pretend. I heard tho we might be able to edit the terrain again like we could before in sims 3 when I agonized over a underground garage for my fallout shelter styled home.
    moogle-gif-3.gif
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I agree. In TS2, I've never played the pre-made worlds...even before I knew about the save corruption issues they have if you don't clean them up. I recently got TS3 to see what about that game people find so appealing (so far, I'm not particularly impressed...but I haven't gotten too far in my test saves yet because of school, so I'm reserving final judgement until I'm at least 50-100 hours into things) and downloaded CAW, but I'm still learning to use it properly. My main criticism of the TS3 CAW tool is that you don't get a decent preview of the map templates in the starting menu, just this weird grayscale thing that doesn't give you a good idea of what the land templates look like before you load them up, and it's difficult to discern the actual scale of the landmass when you do load it up in the program, so I can see why it might have been underused--it's not that intuitive. You really do need to read those tutorials to know how to use the thing. Better map template previews and some form of visual scaling element would have done wonders for TS3 CAW's intuitiveness and ease of use. Give me a bare chunk of land in the middle of a blue field of ocean, I have a hard time discerning how big that chunk of land is. Put a clump of trees or a strip of road down, then I can get a better picture of what I'm working with...and whoever had the "brilliant" idea of having those grayscale height maps instead of a decent picture of the landscape you're about to open up should be sent to bed without desert. No cake for that one.

If TS4 had a world creation tool that was intuitive to use and well-designed on a visual level, that would definitely enhance the game enormously. But, they need to learn from the poor design decisions that make TS3's incarnation of the tool confusing and cumbersome to use for more visually-oriented people like me.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited December 2018
    The way worlds work, I struggle to think of a way for them to implement a CAW style tool. Most things are just decorations, the road system is basically decorative, the lot system looks very basic and rudimentary. Granted it could be done, but I just can't see it in this iteration.

I also don't think they lose much in terms of time. Since most things in a world are deco, it means the FX and modeling team does most of the work. They have 0 impact on gameplay or coding.

I will disagree however on the lack of gameplay with EPs. Previous iterations also had worlds involved in packs as well as certain aspects being gameplay lacking or with no depth. This is nothing new, they just need to change up how much depth is put into gameplay additions. Many things are very fleshed out and detailed, others not so much. This trend began with TS3 sadly. In every iteration the packs have plenty of content including TS4. Of course some of it is very shallow, some of it is very detailed.
  • DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    Archieonic wrote: »
    The way worlds work, I struggle to think of a way for them to implement a CAW style tool. Most things are just decorations, the road system is basically decorative, the lot system looks very basic and rudimentary. Granted it could be done, but I just can't see it in this iteration.

I also don't think they lose much in terms of time. Since most things in a world are deco, it means the FX and modeling team does most of the work. They have 0 impact on gameplay or coding.

I will disagree however on the lack of gameplay with EPs. Previous iterations also had worlds involved in packs as well as certain aspects being gameplay lacking or with no depth. This is nothing new, they just need to change up how much depth is put into gameplay additions. Many things are very fleshed out and detailed, others not so much. This trend began with TS3 sadly. In every iteration the packs have plenty of content including TS4. Of course some of it is very shallow, some of it is very detailed.

World building takes a lot of time and budget, that much they've admitted in the past. And if there's not so much to them, then it makes sense that even WE could put those together had we the neighborhood building tools that the team uses.

I thought TS3 packs were quite, well, packed. I don't think that ts3 teams spent as much time world building since they already had a world making system their disposal. Plus, ts3 had a larger team and budget so they could 'afford' to give a chunk to world creation. The ts4 team is much smaller and has a smaller budget, so the money it takes to create 'worlds' has a bigger impact.

• SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited December 2018

A modular system similar to TS2's could work well. In TS2, you choose a template for your neighborhood which includes roads and geological features, then you choose a terrain type (desert, lush, concrete or dirt). TS4's could allow for these choices, as well as choice of skybox, road style, neighborhood decorations, and secret location. Collectables would spawn in pre-determined spots on the map depending on the world template you choose, and the type of collectables that would spawn would be determined by the terrain type chosen (desert, lush, etc.). It could work quite well if the devs could find a way to implement a system like that. Meanwhile, a more in-depth CAW that would be a true improved successor to TS3's could be developed to launch with TS5...if they make a TS5.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.

A modular system similar to TS2's could work well. In TS2, you choose a template for your neighborhood which includes roads and geological features, then you choose a terrain type (desert, lush, concrete or dirt). TS4's could allow for these choices, as well as choice of skybox, road style, neighborhood decorations, and secret location. Collectables would spawn in pre-determined spots on the map depending on the world template you choose, and the type of collectables that would spawn would be determined by the terrain type chosen (desert, lush, etc.). It could work quite well if the devs could find a way to implement a system like that. Meanwhile, a more in-depth CAW that would be a true improved successor to TS3's could be developed to launch with TS5...if they make a TS5.

I would be okay with that. I don't require super complex worlds with lots of effects. Just something simple that fits the story that I want to tell.
  • instantmagicinstantmagic Posts: 36 Member
    I only wish for CAW tool when I see sparse playgrounds that maxis made with one monkey bar and one pirate ship. That's it??!! No swings no toddler stuff? Even if you have the expansion pack? I also miss the CAW tool because people used to create the most wonderful island worlds in TS3! I really miss those! Having 20 or so of my Sims living on an island was the best! Maxis please make an Island pack!! With the Sunlit Tides stuff! I miss the lifeguard career! The tiki huts, the surfboard machine, the grass skirts. I would be happy to pay for that EXP. Pack Island themed beach Sims! Similar to Gilligan's Island! Bring that back! Caw tool would be ok to fix some stuff, but I do not miss the horrendous loading time of Sims 3 maps. IMO
  • ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited December 2018
    DreamaDove wrote: »
    Archieonic wrote: »

World building takes a lot of time and budget, that much they've admitted in the past. And if there's not so much to them, then it makes sense that even WE could put those together had we the neighborhood building tools that the team uses.

I thought TS3 packs were quite, well, packed. I don't think that ts3 teams spent as much time world building since they already had a world making system their disposal. Plus, ts3 had a larger team and budget so they could 'afford' to give a chunk to world creation. The ts4 team is much smaller and has a smaller budget, so the money it takes to create 'worlds' has a bigger impact.

Agree to disagree then. To me things like Showtime were really superficial and shallow. Supernatural which is easily my favorite pack had things like werewolves being so basic and uninteresting, and fairies were not anywhere near in-depth as I would have hoped. Then things like Savvy Seller which IMO was a horrible offense to TS2 OFB. I hated how certain places like Spas were rabbit holes as that is just almost empty content. I much prefer fleshing out things like Vampires (which I welcomed only due to how indepth they are in comparison to previous iterations and sparkling nonsense) or Get Together that make day to day more unique than the usual. But I'll put that aside as that becomes an argument of quantity or quality and I got my share of TS3 up until 2017 so no major complaints.

Also they must have a world building tool for TS4 too, just not public nor tailored for users. The whole "world building takes a lot" IMO is an excuse to justify other short-comings. A 5 lot world with 90% decoration cannot be a hit on anything other than the designers and FX team. On the other hand having packs with worlds in them is another way to incentivize buyers, which EA certainly wants. Without stats we really can't tell if their strategy is working but given how long they want to stretch this iteration, I'd say they are making it rain. For us though, it sucks. I too miss CAW and the worlds that were made.

Even with the larger team and budget, the team that works on world building would have little impact on gameplay or coding. Programmers have little to do with world building in this iteration because the worlds are so simplistic. So really I don't believe everything they say at all. One single modder was able to create and fix so many things by himself on TS3 where I had a multiple world save going for 2 years without corruption or bloating that it is impossible for me to believe they couldn't fix the myriad of issues in TS3.

I am in favor of CAW in TS4 don't get me wrong there. Being able to have other worlds with highrises would be phenomenal for example.
    I only wish for CAW tool when I see sparse playgrounds that maxis made with one monkey bar and one pirate ship. That's it??!! No swings no toddler stuff? Even if you have the expansion pack? I also miss the CAW tool because people used to create the most wonderful island worlds in TS3! I really miss those! Having 20 or so of my Sims living on an island was the best! Maxis please make an Island pack!! With the Sunlit Tides stuff! I miss the lifeguard career! The tiki huts, the surfboard machine, the grass skirts. I would be happy to pay for that EXP. Pack Island themed beach Sims! Similar to Gilligan's Island! Bring that back! Caw tool would be ok to fix some stuff, but I do not miss the horrendous loading time of Sims 3 maps. IMO

Yes! The playgrounds bother me so much! I tried placing a modded swingset in the spice market playground, but there was no room ;___; I need to move the monkey bars and the basketball hoop in order to place the swingsets! There's so many missed opportunities... most of the time leaving your lot is kinda pointless since there's nothing to do out there. There's 'playgrounds' in NC that are composed of 3 monkeybars... ugh. So plain, so boring, and so ugly.

• ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    @DreamaDove It gets worse. The non-lot playgrounds are used by NPCs, can be visited just like that by our sims but when we build a playground on a player lot its always empty until we visit it and even then its no guarentee that visitors come. The NPCs visit the playground in newcrest all the time while Im on my lot two lots away while the one I built is dead. Pretty but dead.
    With a few changes it would be epic. EPIC I TELL YOU!

So dont change these things into lots. Just make the world edible like any lot. Its not like we would interfere with traffic or something like that.
  • sazzieJsazzieJ Posts: 150 Member

while i never used the CAW tool (was too complicated for me and im not creative like that) i think it would be a great addition to sims 4. if it came with templates as mentioned above with preset examples to move around which then let me design or decorate id be all for it. might even pay for it if it was good and flexible enough.

as it stands i primarily play in willow springs as its pretty and i like the layout the most but my own neighborhood would be awesome
  • Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    CAW tool would be my dream ♡♡ EA pls
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    CAW Tool to me is an important tool to have to complete and sandbox environment. You do not have to wait for EA/Maxis to release new neighborhoods and also alter what neighborhoods that are made by EA/Maxis. For w/o that it makes the game less creative and for me it is.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I loved CAW in sims 2 and 3 it really added to the gameplay and allowed us to share our creativity :)
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    After looking at my forgotten hollow again I cringe when sims walk from the waterfall area into the region and run towards the bridge which isnt connected with a visible street. It makes no sense.

There is also an almost hidden path obstructed by trees leading to a tiny area with a big dead tree which could be a very small lot. Cliff lot, hello?

There is so much space wasted in the area. Moving the almost hidden path slightly would leave much room for another medium lot.

There is a huge area between the center and the lake that could be used for another lot without cutting of the access half of the visitors use for no logical reason.

The vladislaus lot is a mess in my opinion. The gravestones are just scattered inside and outside the fence. Is it a graveyard or just some tombstone junkyard? The mist looks nice but there are big holes in it that I like to fix.

I dont see any logical reason to not allow us to edit the world to our liking. I mean multiplayer isnt planned anyway so whats the reason to not give us a world build mode?
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    CAW tool is a must this game will never feel complete to me without it I really hate the worlds we have I need something I can make my own. With the worlds we have now I really feel like I'm playing in someone else game as I've always played in my own.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    I want the CAW tool,too! I want to be able to add mountains and remove unnecessary bodies of water from my worlds. I want to be able to re-name my worlds instead of having to settle for the boring EA names. Give us the CAW tool,EA!
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • simwolfsimwolf Posts: 323 Member
    I respectfully disagree with the 'everyone' since personally I have no interest in CAW and would rather see that time and effort put into other content. So it may be more accurate to say that many people lose out.... but certainly not everyone.
    The Simwolf - happily simming since 2000
    My Sims, Saves and Challenges

Gallery: simwolf79 Twitter: @SimwolfSims
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    I disagree with the everyone part as well I have no interest as well in the create a world part and would rather see more content like furniture clothes different choice of appliances some retro content to create more retro style houses
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    While "everyone" may not use certain features that came in Sims 3, a fair number of players did and do. I loved that you could use Sim City 4 to create new worlds for Sims 2. I never did, but I did download a copy of "worlds" that were fun to play.

I do miss the ability to allow the players to create new worlds for the game and the fact that the worlds are "small" compared to Sims 2 and 3.

Maybe it's something they might be working on, but can't tell us yet.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    I disagree with the everyone part as well I have no interest as well in the create a world part and would rather see more content like furniture clothes different choice of appliances some retro content to create more retro style houses

If you want more furniture and clothes, then this applies to you, too. My argument is that A LOT of resources are used up by the devs to create worlds since we can't create our own. If we had CAW, instead of making more worlds, the devs could devote themselves to other things: like more retro furniture and clothing.
    simwolf wrote: »
    I respectfully disagree with the 'everyone' since personally I have no interest in CAW and would rather see that time and effort put into other content. So it may be more accurate to say that many people lose out.... but certainly not everyone.

My argument is that many resources are used up making worlds that could be put to better use, so I agree with you. If we could make our own worlds, then the devs could make other content that you'd like to see.