Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there a mod for slower need decay?

I need a mod for this, I forgot how fast their needs deplete after some time :eyeroll:

Comments

• TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Yes. That mod is Relativity: https://www.nraas.net/community/Relativity

Once you have it installed click on any computer or city hall>NRaas>Relativity>Motive Decay Factors. The default setting is 1. That means the game's default. Lower than 1 is slower. Higher than 1 is faster.

Most people use Relativity to slow down the game speed itself: computer or city hall>NRaas>Relativity>Set Speed. The game default is 37. A lower number means the flow of time is slower in the game (but animations are the same). Need and skill decay is adjusted by the mod. Try half speed (19) for awhile to see the difference, then adjust as to your liking. Don't set the value above 37. By setting Set Speed to a lower number essentially it takes less sim-minutes for sim to accomplish tasks.

You can also adjust skill gain rates, the rate of need gain (Motive Delta in the mod), adjust skill gain to the life span your are using, etc.
  • x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    I actually have that already lol

didn't know you could do that thank you!
  • DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    there is also the happiness rewards which you buy with happiness points that your sims get when they fulfill wishes
    I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited December 2018
    @DivinylsFan Yes, you mean the Lifetime Rewards such as Dirt Defiant, Hardly Hungry, Meditative Trance Sleep, Carefree and Steel Bladder. The motive mobile will always fulfill all needs every time it is driven.
    https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Lifetime_reward

There's also a cheat to make all Sims happy and then put their needs on static. However, that makes the game pretty boring as Sims who are always content in needs don't seem to know what to do with themselves on high free-will in my personal experience. There's two ways to cheat motives. Ctrl+Shift+C brings up the cheats.
    1. Type in testingcheatsenabled true in the cheat console, press enter and then freely drag the need bar(s) to the desired position.
    2. Type in testingcheatsenabled true (if not done already) press enter and then shift-click the mailbox to make all happy and then make needs static which maxes out all Sims needs and then freezes it until you unfreeze by making needs dynamic. Or even make all happy without putting needs on static.

There is also some content in EP's or The Store that helps fulfill some needs quickly like the book o' spells, casting spells as a witch, Sharper Sim's Super Sleeper, The Not So Routine Machine, alchemy, The MultiTab 6000 raises social really quickly and helps kids and teens do homework quickly as well. I'm sure there is a lot more of in-game shortcuts depending on what is owned.

Motive depletion in TS3 is nothing compared to TS2 or especially TS. Oh, those games can be quite the struggle yet still fun but seriously the struggle for me is to not focus so much time on needs. :D However, I think they did an amazing job at balancing it in TS3. It's still relevant but not so much the focus. :mrgreen:
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • VexingQueryVexingQuery Posts: 2,180 Member
    Relativity is one of my must-have mods. I never felt the speed of motive decay was unreasonable (I mean, they only need to eat once or twice a day, shower every couple days, and so on), but I always felt like it took too long for my Sims to do things and I couldn't get enough accomplished before bedtime. I set the time speed at 25, which is about 2/3 normal, and it's been perfect.

And then there's all the time savers @Deshong04 mentioned. The portability and rate of fun/social gain the Multitab tablet gives, along with the ability to passively raise skills while going about other business, makes it an absurdly useful time saver for the price. Those all-in-one bathrooms that max hygeine and bladder simultaneously are great too. My Sims also tend to end up with a bunch of dried food from their WA travels, and that stuff is instant hunger satisfaction wherever you happen to be standing.
  • MiSFiT203MiSFiT203 Posts: 278 Member
    edited July 2019
    Hi guys, I need help with this Relativity mod. @TreyNutz said above that the default setting for game speed is 37, but i downloaded the mod yesterday and mine says the default is 0. I get that 1/2 of 37 is around 19, but how do you figure out whats 1/2 of 0 lol.

oh well, nobody answered and im tired of waiting, was hoping to have an answer before i played again, guess i'll have to figure it out for myself. hopefully using a - sign with a number will get me lower.
  • rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    @MiSFiT203 Did you get it figured out? I think I'll get Relatively today too since I also want to slow time and mood decay slightly.
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
    @MiSFiT203 Did you get it figured out? I think I'll get Relatively today too since I also want to slow time and mood decay slightly.

not really, i got the clock slowed down but at same time my sims were exhausted and needing sleep. now its feeling like their gonna sleep forever. need to figure out if i can increase their sleeping speed somehow.

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2019
    The mod itself defaults to 0, which means Relativity is entirely "off." The game's default speed is 37. The speed being suggested is 19. I find that things happen a bit too fast there for my tastes, so prefer running it at 23 but the difference between that and 19 is pretty subtle (lower numbers make things happen faster relative to the game clock time). A negative value there would not be expected and I'm surprised it is even accepted. Values that are way too low, some say under 10 others say under 5, are likely to cause the game to trip over itself as time gets yanked back and forth and are not recommended.

On the Motive Decay/Delta settings, default is 1, slower decay/replenishment would be fractional values below 1 but above 0, faster decay/replenishment would be values above 1. Again, no negative values. Same with the optional skill gain deltas. (Edit: sorry, looks like I typed this part out backwards to begin with).
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    edited July 2019
    @igazor lol oh. i went with -17 for game speed cause i didnt know and just finally got the sleep delta at 10 which results in about 1 hour of sleep time (I think) and with play on high speed = to about 1 sim minute every 3 seconds lol didnt even consider how time would flow on regular play mode lmao. i suppose these settings would give me plenty of play time. but maybe i should try yours lol, thanks for response

btw what would you suggest for sleep delta at speed =23?

ok i suppose i should ask about the other deltas, my sims on the toilet and im starting to wonder what exactly im watching. lol
    edited July 2019
    The motive Decay and Delta values are impossible to create exact recommendations for because of players' tastes and how there's many, many ways to get the same or almost the same results with different sets of settings across the board. That shouldn't be a source of stress, but the point is there is never only exactly one answer. I believe I currently have both of those set to 0.65 or something like that in my game, I would never try a Delta value of 10 as that seems way too high to be realistic but again it depends on the effects one is after.

Of course not many players want their sims to wake up at 3 am all refreshed and/or start yawning all over the screen and dropping from exhaustion in the middle of the afternoon -- remember these settings affect all sims in town, not just the actively being played ones. Also note that if active play happens to be in Uni World, then all bets are off when it comes to the inactives as their autonomy and sleep cycles are so royally messed up (on purpose or otherwise).

Energy is a bit different from the others because unless they have a very high quality bed or the Meditative Trance LTR (or they are one of a few occult types), sims will want 8 sim hours of sleep per night in order to be totally refreshed and get the Well Rested moodlet. I would suggest keeping all the Deltas and Decays on 1 at first and see how things go. Then adjust one or the other slightly if needed, say by no more than 0.2 at a time, to see if that helps and by how much. When it comes to sleep cycles, it can take a sim day or two for any changes to be fully realized.

A motive like Hunger is easier to work with because there are fewer factors involved. If you want your sims to be hungry 3x/day then a faster Decay setting is required. If only 1x or 2x, then perhaps slower. The Delta won't matter as much in this case because that would only apply to the motives rising while sims are eating.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited July 2019
    thanks @Igazor... i was trying to read thru the documentation but there is just so much and i have a.d.d. so anything beyond the first few sentences goes out the window and i have to start reading again when my mind decides to start working again lol
    edited July 2019
    i like the idea of relativity but i cant get it right, I took it out, while i still have people left in town lol. i got people peeing themselves and starving to death. i even pushed up the motive decay all the way up to 10 for bladder and hunger, maxed all my sims motives and then went to another lot and shes already about to pee herself and close to the red on hunger. this stuffs way over my head lol
    edited July 2019
    It's not over your head, but I think you have a slight math/logic fail going on there.

If you push a motive decay up to 10 (this is an absurdly high number, it's 10x faster than standard), then those motives will deplete astronomically fast. This is not generally recommended and thought I've already said that, sorry but maybe I wasn't forceful enough. What you are describing is exactly what is supposed to happen, your sims will need to relieve themselves or eat a meal 10-20 times per sim day. If you wanted faster motive decay, then start with 1.25 or 1.5, something like that, in very extreme circumstances maybe 2 but not 10. Note that 1.5 is already a 50% faster decay than 1, so 2 is twice as fast, etc.

If what you wanted was slower motive decay rather than a faster one, then it would be numbers less than 1, meaning fractions between 0 and 1 like 0.75 or 0.5. Just as with faster decay, there are numbers less than 1 below which things will never work right such as 0.001 (or somewhere around there, the mod cannot handle extremely small close to 0 numbers and at that point your sims would need to go to the bathroom every 500-1,000 days which seems a bit extreme in the other direction). Note that 0.5 is already 50% of a decay rate than 1.

If what you wanted was faster motive replenishment so that it takes less time doing something to replenish one's motives (like sleeping, bathing, or having fun), then that's motive delta not motive decay.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!