Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How can I get TS2?

citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
Hi, as of right now the only PC sims game I've played is TS4. I've seen a few lets plays of TS2 and I would love to play it on my new PC but I have no idea where I would go about getting it. Does anyone know? Thanks.
Proud black simmer 🖤
MfVGMbL.jpg

Comments

• M13VulpeculaM13Vulpecula Posts: 19,715 Member
    You could try looking through (online) stores for secondhand copies and try to get a bargain.
    There used to be a way to receive the Ultimate Collection (all EP's and SP's) for free here, but that deal has expired now, kind of a shame that happened. :/
    Or, if you have a Mac, you can purchase a Mac-specific compilation (I believe Super Collection). Not all packs, but it's compatible.
    Banner.png
  • MidnightSalem20MidnightSalem20 Posts: 4 New Member
    Best bet at this point is look on Ebay and buy second hand copies. The bad thing about that though is they are pricey (I've seen the complete collection for 100+ dollars), and a lot of times a disc or two is missing, and to top it off if you are on, say Windows 10, the disc version of The Sims 2 you system and settings can possibly require some tweaking to get to work. Honestly, unless you are desperate I would just wait. I'm sure some day Origin will re-release the games. No game as popular or financing successful remains 'out of print' forever. It might take 5+ years but I would bet my bottom dollar TS2 will rear its beautiful head once more on a digital format with full compatibility for the (then) current windows.
  • canitbemancanitbeman Posts: 396 Member
    edited November 2018
    Since EA doesn't want to give The Sims 2: Ultimate Edition away for free anymore, they should sell it for $5-$10 USD on Origin or other services. Come on EA loads of people still want The Sims 2 and you can make some scratch too.
    in7xjb5WX7PIyv2bAPK9om-UpQ6lu50OmTOOMedFkabQlJ6WAblttI-YkjpbwbaMsZYP99rvrxYZYvusuoiZY9kgoOukGZu8miL-x4i5Vjt_4VS982WP32Goc22ldJNMZMCL6b2pKA=w2400
  • TheSimsandThewhoTheSimsandThewho Posts: 7 New Member
    All My sims 2 games are second hand
  • AllieSootieAllieSootie Posts: 450 Member
    I think second hand is the way to go for a PC. If anyone reading this has a Mac, you can get the Super Collection on the app store, which has mot expansion packs, but only a stuff packs.
  • pookysimsloverpookysimslover Posts: 339 Member
    edited December 2018
    I have all the CD's of everything of The Sims 2, but, it doesn't work on any Windows newer than Vista, so don't waste your money on buying the CD's!

Now I got my downloaded free version when I contacted EA about a problem I was having getting back on Origin, I just brought it up to the nice lady I was chatting with online and she asked me if I have at least the base game activation code, and I did, so I gave it to her and she gave me the game, added it to my library! And that was at the beginning of this year!

I thought I had totally missed it, but I guess it depends on if you get lucky and talk to the right person from EA!

But if you want to see if you can play them somehow or see if you can get the free download, here's a link to what I found on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=The+Sims+2+basegame&_sacat=45100

They aren't really expensive either! Good luck, and Happy Simming!

Okay, for some reason the link keep changing, so it wont let me put a direct link, but just search for The Sims 2 Basegame and you will find a few!
    Post edited by pookysimslover on
    To follow me or check out my creations my name is claramj and my avatar is Nikki Cat, she's in my gallery!
  • BessiebooBessieboo Posts: 199 Member
    canitbeman wrote: »
    Since EA doesn't want to give The Sims 2: Ultimate Edition away for free anymore, they should sell it for $5-$10 USD on Origin or other services. Come on EA loads of people still want The Sims 2 and you can make some scratch too.

Totally agree. I know EA want sims 4 to do well but not making sims 2 available to loyal fans and a new generation of simmers is not going to make people buy sims 4, you will either love it or not and I'm sure a lot of people will play both games as they are different enough to enjoy as individual games. I for one would be happy to pay for the digital version of sims 2 and sims and continue to buy expansion packs for 3 and 4 (when I can get a powerful enough computer).
  • CheesySimsLoverCheesySimsLover Posts: 258 Member
    I have all the CDs for The Sims 2, but my new computers don't have an activation code. I contacted EA about a separate issue and during the convo mentioned this; I
    I have all the CD's of everything of The Sims 2, but, it doesn't work on any Windows newer than Vista, so don't waste your money on buying the CD's!

Now I got my downloaded free version when I contacted EA about a problem I was having getting back on Origin, I just brought it up to the nice lady I was chatting with online and she asked me if I have at least the base game activation code, and I did, so I gave it to her and she gave me the game, added it to my library! And that was at the beginning of this year!

I thought I had totally missed it, but I guess it depends on if you get lucky and talk to the right person from EA!

But if you want to see if you can play them somehow or see if you can get the free download, here's a link to what I found on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=The+Sims+2+basegame&_sacat=45100

Okay, for some reason the link keep changing, so it wont let me put a direct link, but just search for The Sims 2 Basegame and you will find a few!

Similar to my story. I have all the CDs, but my current computers don't have disk drives. I contacted them regarding a separate issue and mentioned this during the conversation. They gave me the Ultimate Collection in my Origin library. :) I have heard many people get it this way.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    EA was giving away TS2UC since 2014 (at least that is when I got my email) so I can't fault them for no longer offering a whole series for nothing to anyone who could have a base game key code. Four years was a long time in my opinion to give those packs away for free. True most of us had most of it anyway, but still, I can't say one bad word about the long four years they offered this to players for free.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I have all the CDs for The Sims 2, but my new computers don't have an activation code. I contacted EA about a separate issue and during the convo mentioned this; I

Similar to my story. I have all the CDs, but my current computers don't have disk drives. I contacted them regarding a separate issue and mentioned this during the conversation. They gave me the Ultimate Collection in my Origin library. :) I have heard many people get it this way.

USB DVD/CD drive costs about $38.00 the price of today's EPs. It's good to buy one.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    I understand why EA have stopped giving out ultimate collection after four years. Its just a shame its not available to buy for new simmers who have yet to experience sims 2 or late comers who wasnt aware of ultimate collection. Its still such an awesome game.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    canitbeman wrote: »

Here, here! My guess is that they stopped offering the freebie because they probably plan to put UC on sale on origin for the franchise's 20th anniversary. I bet they'll charge a good $25-$40 for it, which is still a steal, considering that it would still cost quite a pretty penny on Amazon through independent sellers to get all the stuff packs and expansions on disk...and there's still no garauntee that all the disks will be in the box, let alone the activation codes. Since I only had the base game on disk when they did the promo in 2014 (bought new eight years before from Gamestop, Labor Day Weekend), I actually did end up getting the full game for $40!
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    I’d pay EA to get The Sims 2 UC. I hope they will offer it sometime.
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
  • Schism_989Schism_989 Posts: 5 New Member
    See, I've gotten Sims Medieval, Sims 3 and Sims 4 on Origin. Kind of felt bummed when I found out that I couldn't get Sims 1 and 2 on Origin too.
    I feel getting a physical copy would be a waste since my laptop has no disc port, and I don't really want to try getting it at Amazon or Ebay.
    I've seen a bunch of posts of people saying they just kept asking until they found a nice CS person, but I feel it's both too late for that and kind of cheap, despite how old the games may be.
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    @Schism_989 You have to get a windows xp computer with service pack before 3. But to be honest that would be expensive. Maybe we see if EA puts sims2 uc for sale for anniversary of the Sims. Sims 1 you might have to get old pc to play that. Then look for the patches and how to install. It might not be worth it.
  • leefishleefish Posts: 15 Member
    I play Sims2 on windows7, I know a lot of people who play it on windows10 as well, those not using an nVidia card seem to have the best results.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    leefish wrote: »
    I play Sims2 on windows7, I know a lot of people who play it on windows10 as well, those not using an nVidia card seem to have the best results.

Windows 10 with Nvidia card here...just reinstalled UC (got a 2nd HD for christmas so I have space for it, yay!). You ain't kidding. Spent hours yesterday before I got it to work without crashing or purple flashing. google was useless for it, seeing as the most 'common' causes for these issues are not what plagued me. (Think I got it finally though).

Given all the problems I had, and I'm very good with PCs and trouble-shooting, and the total failure of 20 pages worth of google searches to resolve...I can understand why EA is no longer distributing the game. They would lose money on the deal in CS costs.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • tasha053109tasha053109 Posts: 18 Member
    It should be offered on Origin for a nominal amount. So many people still want it!
  • AmandariiniAmandariini Posts: 1 New Member
    > @pookysimslover said:
    > I have all the CD's of everything of The Sims 2, but, it doesn't work on any Windows newer than Vista, so don't waste your money on buying the CD's!
    >
    > Now I got my downloaded free version when I contacted EA about a problem I was having getting back on Origin, I just brought it up to the nice lady I was chatting with online and she asked me if I have at least the base game activation code, and I did, so I gave it to her and she gave me the game, added it to my library! And that was at the beginning of this year!
    >
    > I thought I had totally missed it, but I guess it depends on if you get lucky and talk to the right person from EA!
    >
    > But if you want to see if you can play them somehow or see if you can get the free download, here's a link to what I found on Ebay:
    >
    > They aren't really expensive either! Good luck, and Happy Simming!
    >
    > Okay, for some reason the link keep changing, so it wont let me put a direct link, but just search for The Sims 2 Basegame and you will find a few!

When was this? I'm wondering if it's still worth a try :smiley:
  • Whovian97Whovian97 Posts: 392 Member
    edited January 2019
    Since EA is being difficult and no longer support the codes for TS2 and physical copies are too outdated, I’d say getting the game will be nearly impossible. Now, you might find digital copies from a pirated site or some ROM site as well, but I do not recommend going that route. It’s major risky business legally and health wise on your computer. Much of that stuff can have viriuses hidden within the programs.
    siggy2_zpsxccvrfnz.png
    FIND ME ON THE GALLERY: holdenwade97
    Was just wondering why you can buy sims 3 from steam but not sims 1 or 2. Is there a technical reason for this?
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited January 2019
    Bessieboo wrote: »
    Was just wondering why you can buy sims 3 from steam but not sims 1 or 2. Is there a technical reason for this?

@Bessieboo, The reason is probably that if they sell it, they also end up providing customer support. Both 1 and 2 are old enough that people have various 'problems' trying to get them to run on modern Operating Systems/PC's.

When I recently reinstalled Sims 2 in December, for example, it took me over 4 hours of various tweaking and troubleshooting before I got it to run without problems (crashes and texture issues). Plenty of folks out there would be going to Origin Live Chat for tech support when that happens if they had just purchased it. No point in them selling something if they just spend all the profits in tech support costs.
    Post edited by Stormkeep on
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    @Amandariini I'd just try it if I were you? No you have, yes in an option ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • munroelemunroele Posts: 286 Member
    I got it by asking how to add it, like you do the Sims 3 with the activation codes, and they said so long as I had a picture of my game with my name and the date on a piece of paper, I could have it, and they added it to my Origin no problem!
  • Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    @munroele how long ago was this?
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.