Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are you for/against pack requirements for new DLC?

Comments

• Options
    SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    Absolutely not.
    NO. Think about theses 4 words.. My First Pet Stuff. Do not let them take away from another EP like they've already tried doing with Cats & Dogs.
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    Absolutely not.
    @Writen-Reg,The sims franchise was at one time the single highest selling franchise in the history of video games, when you add up total sales across all of the base games, packs and EP's. It very well may still be, it certainly is up in the top 10. EA may not 'need us' but you don't kill a cash cow unless you want the board of directors to fire you.

Worst case scenario is a period of time goes by while the company reassesses strategy to course correct on whatever blew up in their face.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Depends on the contents.
    Depends on what it is. I don't have My First Pet stuff as I don't care to have clothing for my pets and I didn't really see that it brought anything to enhance the game other than hamsters. But if they added the ability to build apartments in other world's, yes I would buy that.

It all comes down to this... To each their own, it's your game put what you want in it. If they make something you don't like or don't want, you don't have to buy it or play it in your game.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Yes, why not.
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    @Writen-Reg,The sims franchise was at one time the single highest selling franchise in the history of video games, when you add up total sales across all of the base games, packs and EP's. It very well may still be, it certainly is up in the top 10. EA may not 'need us' but you don't kill a cash cow unless you want the board of directors to fire you.

Worst case scenario is a period of time goes by while the company reassesses strategy to course correct on whatever blew up in their face.

Actually EA does -

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Absolutely not.
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Actually EA does -

Name one top selling franchise where they killed it off entirely not for reasons of market shift. Closing studios and transferring development to a different group doesn't count, nor does scrapping a project that isn't working out as you plan to reassess and take in a different direction (which is basically what happened with Sims 4). Name one of their top 10 franchises that they ended completely and forever.

Edited to add, Mass Effect is probably the best example of what you're saying. But it isn't dead...its just on indefinite hiatus, while they reassess.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    Depends on the contents.
    I would like more Seasons DLC, for example skiing in the snow.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2018
    Yes, why not.

Actually EA does -

Name one top selling franchise where they killed it off entirely not for reasons of market shift. Closing studios and transferring development to a different group doesn't count, nor does scrapping a project that isn't working out as you plan to reassess and take in a different direction (which is basically what happened with Sims 4). Name one of their top 10 franchises that they ended completely and forever.

Command and Conquer- this one was closed down just days before the newest ep was to be released - they never released it, closed the studio. - Sims City -Spore - My Sims - Red Alert - Dead space - to name a few of the many big sellers now history! There are many, many more. People complain or get too loud and out goes the game and it's studio even.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Absolutely not.
    Several of those were never top selling franchises for EA. They acquired them and NEVER had success with them. Sales before acquisition don't really count.
    Spore certainly was never a top seller for anyone. It had one successful game, and that success was more about the name attached to it then the game itself...the game itself had no sea legs.
    Sim City, though relatively high performing at one time, has market shift to blame for it's issues as much as EA's mismanagement as does Command and Conquer, and neither are necessarily dead forever, they have tried to resurrect both (unsuccessfully) at least once, and will likely try again with Sim City. RTS is past it's heydey though, so C&C probably is dead.
    Honestly though, EA scrapping sims games entirely wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. It would open the door for someone to try to compete and actually get away with it.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Eliharb wrote: »
    Just to clarify, I'll give another example. In Get Famous, the L.A inspired world would have definitely benefited from apartments. Even in the backdrop in the Pinnacles neighborhood, you can see tall towers. Now the coding is there for apartment lots/penthouses from City Living. They could have had apartments be available for those who had CL, and those who don't own it would have seen empty lots where those apartments would have been.

I don't know how else to explain this, but since CL's main main feature is its apartments, I don't think they'll offer CL's main feature in another pack, unless we had CL. Maybe that's why it's probably better for them to introduce an Apartment lot type for the base game so everyone can plop them everywhere and make their own.

I agree with what I bolded above. IF they get around to giving us some type of door (ala Sims 2 style) that allows us to make our own apartments, it should be a base game update.

The other thing is though, that it is a very different feature to what we have in CL so I don't see it as requiring CL to function. Not at all. We can't change apartments except for inside the walls. IF they gave us a door that turned a building in to separate apartments, then the only thing we could do with it in CL is change penthouses or other lots.

I'm okay with that. I would pay separately to be able to make my own in other worlds.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Absolutely not.
    @fullspiral Totally agree, I'd pay for a pack where a door like that was the only thing in it. (sad, I know)
    Apartment Life was one of my favorite packs in TS2...I spent weeks just going through and renovating to build apartments that fit in the existing hoods in my game. Literally weeks, where that's all I did.
  • Options
    @fullspiral Totally agree, I'd pay for a pack where a door like that was the only thing in it. (sad, I know)
    Apartment Life was one of my favorite packs in TS2...I spent weeks just going through and renovating to build apartments that fit in the existing hoods in my game. Literally weeks, where that's all I did.

@Stormkeep lol, well I would hope for a few other things in it! Like things for a grand lobby, or things for a tired run-down building. New hottubs, a pool slide, " marco polo" , Heck, just remake Sims 2 apartment life!
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Absolutely not.
    @fullspiral don't forget things to make trailer parks look more like trailer parks. Like the decorative "wheels" to put on the side of homes built in trailery-fashion. I already have 4 lots of trailer parks in Oasis Springs just waiting. I'd like more siding and roof options for trailery-fashion as well.
    I like my trailer-trash sims.

(Now if someone tells me those wheels are already in the game and I just haven't seen them, I'll be ecstatic)
  • Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    edited December 2018
    Absolutely not.
    Regarding what you said on the previous page, @Writin_Reg :
    The thing is they make the game and they can do what they like whether or not we like it as when we complain too loudly well they just end that kind of pack. Remember one thing EA thinks nothing of dropping an entire game from it's list so that's where complaints get us.

No, that them thar is something between gaslighting & psychological conditioning. They chose to stop making sp's for now, and either directly blamed their customers (I don't know the source for your belief that our complaints were the reason they stopped) or somehow misled you and others into thinking our complaints were at fault.

No way. That's not legit.

That's how sociopaths work. Not giving in to that kind of blame-the-innocent gamesmanship. No, no, no, never.

eta: I'm talking about EA, not you! Re-reading this, it suddenly occurred to me it might not be clear.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Absolutely not.
    No, I see that as double dipping. Requiring me to have more than the base to add an add on is just wrong. Much like that Stuff pack recently.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Absolutely not.
    Absolutely not. It’s one thing this game needs DLC in the first place (I like that to some extent by the way because it enables the player to discover it bit by bit over the years), but I resent the idea of DLC becoming the core of the game. Because DLC should be an addition, not a necessity or a way for a company to turn a game into a milk cow. Players should be able to choose what DLC to buy and what DLC not to buy and still have a game that feels complete and worth playing.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    Depends on the contents.
    fullspiral wrote: »
    Maybe that's why it's probably better for them to introduce an Apartment lot type for the base game so everyone can plop them everywhere and make their own.

I agree with what I bolded above. IF they get around to giving us some type of door (ala Sims 2 style) that allows us to make our own apartments, it should be a base game update.

The other thing is though, that it is a very different feature to what we have in CL so I don't see it as requiring CL to function. Not at all. We can't change apartments except for inside the walls. IF they gave us a door that turned a building in to separate apartments, then the only thing we could do with it in CL is change penthouses or other lots.

I'm okay with that. I would pay separately to be able to make my own in other worlds.

I don't think it will be as easy as just adding a door that defines apartments. It's a lot trickier than that since you'll have up to 4 families living on the same lot and a loading screen required to switch from one household to the other. So I'm guessing it won't be a free update to the basegame. And I'm betting they'll be some backlash that it should have been in CL if it's ever sold as a GP.
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Depends on the contents.
    Depends on what the content is, I guess.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Absolutely not.
    The door solution worked in TS2, @Eliharb. If it could be done in TS2 for the lot modeling, it can be done in TS4.

TS4 already loads more than "just your lot", and sims (usually) recognize what is 'your house' vs. what isn't. TS4 already has built in recognition of individually defined rooms, which TS2 did not have as thoroughly. That's another step in the direction of being able to recognize "all rooms beyond this door" behaviour.

Basically, they already have a head start compared to what we had in TS2. There's really no reason they couldn't do a door solution. With what tech is already in place, they have more of a head start then the TS2 devs did when designing Apartment life.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    I don't know how to answer this poll cuz you put "for/against" in the question. LOL. So it's contradicting.

But I would say I'm against it. Unless the pack is like super cheap like a usual DLC for most other games. Where it's like you're paying for bonus features, you feel me?
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    Depends on the contents.
    I will most likely buy all EPs and GPs for TS4, so it doesn't really make a difference for me if another pack is required. Using MFP as an example about content: providing more pet clothes was fine in my opinion, making the requirement of Cats&Dogs acceptable. While I see that it could be annoying for someone who doesn't want to buy every pack, I wonder how likely it is for that person to purchase a stuff pack in the first place? Stuff packs are really just extra on top of the other content. I don't think I would like to see other packs than stuff packs tied to previous DLC though, so I'm against the idea of a GP/EP that would require City Living. They locked apartments in San Myshuno but I don't see why they couldn't reuse the system in another world with different style, different apartment traits and perhaps edit the neighbour behaviour as well.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Yes, why not.
    MadameLee wrote: »
    'My First Pet' was a disaster for this exact reason... it should've NEVER been created to begin with! It's still the ONLY pack for The Sims I have NEVER purchased! I definitely hope EA/Maxis will never think about doing something like that again... NO MORE DLC FOR DLC!

and I knew that was the direction that EA was going with since Patio Pack was announced. Because hottubs, (patio pack) and butlers (Vintage Glamour) were original in EPs in at least Sims 2 and 3. I did try to warn people about by allowing EA to get away with putting hottubs and butlers in Sps would lead to something like My First Pets,

Actually sounded to me as if you simply would go without these things if you did not buy the sps - just like people have to go without small pets because they did not buy the sp - as the devs of gps and eps did not intend to make anything that was in the sps in their packs. So you are not hurting EA you are going without period. Now they stopped sps I wonder how many other things we have to go without - maybe pool stuff or other pets like birds and things.

The thing is they make the game and they can do what they like whether or not we like it as when we complain too loudly well they just end that kind of pack. Remember one thing EA thinks nothing of dropping an entire game from it's list so that's where complaints get us. They don't need us - they re too big for our little game and no one else will dare compete as they are too big for other studios to challenge. That is the problem when a company is this big and makes their own rules without really caring for the people who made them what they are. I was with EA before there was a Maxis here and saw many games and studios tossed when the players made more noise than the company liked. I doubt you will ever have to worry about sps or some of your fav dlc again - just fuss about it enough and EA will eradicate it period. They do not care what was done in the past - they have made that pretty clear when they keep telling us that Sims 4 is not like the past three games.

I wouldn't write stuffpacks off yet. We may see more of them in 2019.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Yes, why not.
    I would like more Seasons DLC, for example skiing in the snow.

We could get those in a Winter Alpine Vacation Gamepack.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    fullspiral wrote: »
    Maybe that's why it's probably better for them to introduce an Apartment lot type for the base game so everyone can plop them everywhere and make their own.

I don't think it will be as easy as just adding a door that defines apartments. It's a lot trickier than that since you'll have up to 4 families living on the same lot and a loading screen required to switch from one household to the other. So I'm guessing it won't be a free update to the basegame. And I'm betting they'll be some backlash that it should have been in CL if it's ever sold as a GP.

But that's what we have now. Loading screen between households in the same building. It was like that then too. The only difference is that there was a special door ( with a mat in front of it) that designated that unit as an apartment.

Much like how we have the " bouncer door" now that designates it as a special entrance with restricted access.
  • Options
    RipleyrawrRipleyrawr Posts: 273 Member
    Absolutely not.
    DLC for DLC is fine if it's free, otherwise it's an excuse to be greedy.
    I definitely hope EA/Maxis will never think about doing something like that again...

The worst part is that it's definitely going to become some sort of standard going forward, if slowly.

iBVfjxN.gif
    Breadquanda is my spirit animal.
  • Options
    EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    Depends on the contents.
    The door solution worked in TS2, @Eliharb. If it could be done in TS2 for the lot modeling, it can be done in TS4.

TS4 already loads more than "just your lot", and sims (usually) recognize what is 'your house' vs. what isn't. TS4 already has built in recognition of individually defined rooms, which TS2 did not have as thoroughly. That's another step in the direction of being able to recognize "all rooms beyond this door" behaviour.

Basically, they already have a head start compared to what we had in TS2. There's really no reason they couldn't do a door solution. With what tech is already in place, they have more of a head start then the TS2 devs did when designing Apartment life.

That's very true. I think it's already on their list if they're not already working on it.

I personally hope they innovate and make it so that we can have a lot functioning as apartments+restaurant or apartments+retail etc.
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti