The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This dad needs a hobby.

Hey all. I have a sim, Kasey, who is about to have too much time on his hands. He is at the top of his mixologist career and only works 3 days a week. Which at the moment is great, seeing as his wife works Monday to Friday as a botanist, and he is home to take care of their toddler daughter, and their two active dogs. But baby Amber's birthday is less than a week away, and since dad wont have to watch her; and she can pick up some responsibility with the dogs, he's gunna need something to do with his spare time.
Since he is a dog lover I'm thinking maybe he can work on his vet skills and go around town helping out all the strays, since he lives in Brindleton Bay. Or get a busking station and work on his guitar/singing which he seems to like to do, and hustle on the side as a musician.
What are some different hobbies have you given your sims that have too much time on their hands?

Comments

• TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    Pre-Seasons, I might have given such a sim a large garden to maintain. I find painting gets annoying, unless I have a line of easels and queue up several painting commands. Visiting friends and relatives is helpful, though of course that requires a good bit of player intervention...you could call that a 'socializing' hobby. :lol:

"What did you do today, dear?" "I paid social calls. Did you know [insert gossip here]?"
  • MelmackMelmack Posts: 212 Member
    @Tiarella Well, the botanist wife has a huuuge greenhouse, but that's her haven. No hubby/dogs/kids allowed. Lol. But the socializing thing made me remember about clubs. I ALWAYS forget about them. Maybe I'll tinker around with that see if I can come up with a club for him.
  • SheriGRSheriGR Posts: 795 Member
    edited December 2018
    With gardening & painting (can make a lot of money if done strategically) - you can save up money from this then buy a restaurant once the kiddo's a bit bigger or build up the gardening and cooking skills combo to the point where you can buy a retail store and sell your cooked goods in the 'lice-cold freezers' a couple of days a week. I have several businesses in my gallery that I made for my sims that had topped out in their career and only worked 3 days a week, so they can do the retail business 'on the side' and cook/bake to sell in the store (and several of the businesses also have a basement room with home-like stuff - could work with the toddler or pet, if you like, and you can take naps, cook, etc. there) and run it as a family. I have fun doing that and shaking things up a bit... otherwise I get bored. :) In some of my stores I sell both prepared food in the freezers and retail items (paintings, floral arrangements, etc.). I include the cooking equipment on-site, and plants in some of them. They are in the gallery under the same username as I have on the forum, SheriGR.

Having said all of that, you don't need a store to sell paintings, produce, or flower arrangements. You can sell them by clicking on them and choosing to sell or by selling in build mode, depending on the item.
    Sims 4 Gallery
    EA ID: SheriGR
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SheriGr
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
  • metalfenix_Rafmetalfenix_Raf Posts: 536 Member
    Gardening. It's the ultimate money machine on the sims, plus it can be fun.
    Want to see my sims? find me in the Gallery by my Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf

Want to see the Custom Content CAS Pieces I created? Check ModTheSims, Sims 4 Studio Forums
    edited December 2018
    I'd not thought of retail sales as a time-occupier for idle sims; that's a good idea, @SheriGR! I wasn't into the retail stuff in the previous iterations of the game, and after watching some youtube vids/reviews of the GTW retail, I decided it wasn't for me. But you make it sound interesting! (eta: I have the pack, but none of my sims have businesses.) I imagine Melmack's botanist might possibly have some flower-arranging skills, too? If not, maybe her bartender-spouse could work on that skill?

As to clubs--they're fantastic for raising skills and having fun doing it. I often make family-specific clubs, and change the club activities to fit what the family is doing. That way, they quickly earn enough club points to start getting some useful club perks, increasing the speed at which they acquire skills, giving them the appropriate buffs, refreshing their motives, etc. Very, very, very useful. I :love: love :love: clubs. :love:
  • fallenangel66fallenangel66 Posts: 294 Member
    Woodworking then he can sell his sculptures on the flea market table.

Also with clubs I've done a book club and a movie club (2 different clubs)
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    I think an all-male club would be nice. A chance for guys to be guys. It could be sports related or a toastmasters (have the people "listening" to the speech watch tv and make the tvs tiny so that it looks like they're really looking at the guy giving the speech).

You could have a photography club where each week there is a new objective (like photograph something blue; photograph something edible; photograph an animal, etc.).

I also like collecting and displaying things, so he could start trying to get penpals or gather one of the many collectibles in game.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited December 2018
    You could have him open a "pub" (by this I mean an owned restaurant that serves booze and pub style food) with a sports bar, Hard Rock Café or family dining atmosphere. Maybe he could sing/play guitar occasionally for his patrons... In between keeping the staff in line, that is.
  • MelmackMelmack Posts: 212 Member
    All A+ suggestions folks! Kasey has gone from "nothing to do.." to "I'm having a mid life crisis because there's so much I need to do before grim takes me!" Lol
    edited December 2018
    Tiarella wrote: »
    I'd not thought of retail sales as a time-occupier for idle sims; that's a good idea, @SheriGR! I wasn't into the retail stuff in the previous iterations of the game, and after watching some youtube vids/reviews of the GTW retail, I decided it wasn't for me. But you make it sound interesting! (eta: I have the pack, but none of my sims have businesses.) I imagine Melmack's botanist might possibly have some flower-arranging skills, too? If not, maybe her bartender-spouse could work on that skill?

As to clubs--they're fantastic for raising skills and having fun doing it. I often make family-specific clubs, and change the club activities to fit what the family is doing. That way, they quickly earn enough club points to start getting some useful club perks, increasing the speed at which they acquire skills, giving them the appropriate buffs, refreshing their motives, etc. Very, very, very useful. I :love: love :love: clubs. :love:

@Tiarella I hope you do try it! Retail is much more fun with a large household, though. You can have an employee or two and assign them to clean the store, then all you need to do is cook and add your harvested produce and the cooked/baked foods into the 'Lice Cold Freezers' and they purchase directly from the freezers, so you don't have to 'ring them up' then. All Freezers are inter-connected also. Can't sell Spinach or herbs in them. Employees only stay one shift, and I tend to keep it open up to 3 days straight by sending home/to work tired or needing to work sims and telling others in the household to come as needed to keep up with cleaning and cooking. I usually make thousands of dollars a day this way (I think on one long string of keeping it open I made $42,000?) Anyway, you don't need to run it all 'typeA' like I do when I play. Hahaha... but it is more fun to not have to constantly check them out.

If you like the Christmas season stuff, I made a fun retail store "Santa Christmas Shop" that I use Clement Frost (santa) to help run... I added him to the household, and it's a Christmas shop. He has some nice skills, including '10' handiness and can run the weather machine (it is in the shop basement in a room without a door - you need to take it out and put it on the sidewalk and have him run it to make it snow - but that is fun, as the sims come in their winter clothes ad are delighted by the first snow and all, and it only lasts for that day and on that lot). He can also make things on the workbench in the basement, and there is a kitchen and flower arranging table and apartment for him in the basement. Just lock the door to the basement room or customers will go there too. It includes plants too. Note: In that shop you need at least one or two employees or household members to run around and check out customers and restock, as there are a lot of Christmas items you can sell in the store, though you can also make baked goods for the freezers-sales also. Plus you can sell items Clement makes on the workbench (fun Santa stuff!)
    Sims 4 Gallery
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Painting will keep him at home to be there for the kids and earn some nice money.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    I would check a sim's top 5 skills, as well as his traits. It should give a good indicator of what he might like more.

I no longer give my sims general hobbies like painting or singing, I would also find what specific focus they would have within that activity. For example
    Singing Jazz, giving small concerts + joining the singing club
    Playing guitar + composing for radio playing
    Painting abstract art based on real life motives always including one favorite color.

It adds a bit more challenge and meaning, if you have the time to get specific like this. Your sim could also rent a small room or atelier on a community lot, and go there to perform the hobby. Then it would feel a bit more like a job.

How about starting a local radio station? Use an equipped studio room (community lot?), then go out there to find interesting sims to interview on radio, by bringing them to your studio and simply sit down to chat with them, pretending it is all recorded :)

Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    @QueenofMyshuno - great club ideas! I've just started using MCCC, and it's easier to find appropriate sims for my same-gender clubs because the mod (at least I think it's the mod--I suppose it could be the Nov. patch?) --adds male and female as traits you can add to the club requirement.

Melmack--that's awesome! 'My bucket list is too big!'

@SheriGR - alright I am wanting to try out some of your ideas. I hadn't wanted to babysit employees (too much work! ack!), but using the freezers would be a good way for me to dip my fingers (heh) into the retail waters. Thanks! :smiley:

Lots of fun ideas in this thread, so my thanks to everyone, including you, Melmack, for starting it! I don't want to annoy by tagging everyone, though; it's my understanding that too much tagging is frowned upon. I'm not always up-to-date on forum etiquette.
  • mermaidsimmer215mermaidsimmer215 Posts: 2 New Member
    A fun hobby I have my sims do is singing. I always get a laugh out of that, Another thing is creating a club. I have recently created a club for my sim a sports club. I always plan random parties for the fun of it. doing random challenges in the middle of gameplay is something I enjoy too.
    edited December 2018
    Tiarella wrote: »

@SheriGR - alright I am wanting to try out some of your ideas. I hadn't wanted to babysit employees (too much work! ack!), but using the freezers would be a good way for me to dip my fingers (heh) into the retail waters. Thanks! :smiley:

@Tiarella I hope you give the retail stores a try (with the freezers)! If your expectations are low of the retail employees and butlers they can come in handy, but I wouldn't fully depend on either. This way you are not annoyed if they don't do what you want ;) . Make sure at the beginning of each shift you re-assign the retail employee task for each (ie: clean, ring up customers). In my retail stores I also give the lot 'fast internet' and add a couple of unbreakable computers, a fireplace on each floor, a bookshelf, and comfy seating. Customers love to hang out and it is quite a 'happening' place! No need to advertise, and they will buy from those freezers like crazy! Have fun! :)
    Sims 4 Gallery
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Fav "get out of the house you bore me" activity is send sims volunteering, it takes hours, and I have peace of mind.
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    My current sim has fishing and bowling as hobbies, he's man's man type, detective career, I also created a club as sort of a bowling league for him called "pin friends".
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I love having my sims do things that are in character.. they can grow though and eventually have other interests or even start with a variety depending on the sim. So if I can get in their head it makes it easier and often more fun.

The sim I'm playing today (and for a few days) is self-employed. He's doing the whole nature route... fishing, gardening (in depth), flower arranging. He will be using the crafting table soon or next. He will enjoy cooking also, he already does but I want him to use what comes from his garden. He's a homebody when not out fishing, but likes to have friends over. He plays chess or other games with friends. He has a cowplant for a watchdog and bees (and patchy). He is busy from morning till night. I can easily move him into painting, writing or playing a guitar and more. Eventually I'll bring him to Selvadorada so he can do all that (maybe bring back a wife with a latin flair) and he's already been to Granite Falls.

egTcBMc.png