Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5? Maxis Recruiting for “Exciting New Game in the Sims Franchise”

1111213141517...Next

Comments

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    therplady1 wrote: »
    I would love for it to be a farming sim game, with all that entails. Animals, planting, equipment and the like.

Would make an awesome EP! :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Brindleton wrote: »
    Sims 2 didn't have open world, is it an unfinished game then? :p

Exactly.

I know a lot of people loved the open world of Sims 3, but for me, it came at the cost of population play. I honestly cannot enjoy a Sims game if I can't have a variety of my own Sims in the neighborhood. I need to be able to jump around between households. It was a price too high to sacrifice my entire play style.

I personally have nothing against the open world concept. If there were a way to incorporate large open areas while continuing to allow me to switch households, it wouldn't bother me. But I honestly don't see how this would be feasible for a Sims game. It would be like loading every single household in the neighborhood at once and that would be completely irrational.

But you never know. Maybe future gaming tech would allow for additional zoning types and a way of "false loading" just for appearances, but when you switch to another household it "quiets" the previous one and fully loads the current. That would be kind of cool.

You could on turn story progression off?

I'm referring more to rotational play, like we can do in Sims 2 and 4. I do really hate story progression too, so I wouldn't want that either. But I need rotational play in my Sims game or it's useless to me. I need to be able to make my own townies and populate my worlds the way I want. It's just how my gameplay goes.

You are aware there is rotation play in Sims 3? You can jump households as much as you want just like Sims 2 and 4. You change the active household when you're in "Edit Town" mode.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »

Exactly.

I know a lot of people loved the open world of Sims 3, but for me, it came at the cost of population play. I honestly cannot enjoy a Sims game if I can't have a variety of my own Sims in the neighborhood. I need to be able to jump around between households. It was a price too high to sacrifice my entire play style.

I personally have nothing against the open world concept. If there were a way to incorporate large open areas while continuing to allow me to switch households, it wouldn't bother me. But I honestly don't see how this would be feasible for a Sims game. It would be like loading every single household in the neighborhood at once and that would be completely irrational.

But you never know. Maybe future gaming tech would allow for additional zoning types and a way of "false loading" just for appearances, but when you switch to another household it "quiets" the previous one and fully loads the current. That would be kind of cool.

I'm referring more to rotational play, like we can do in Sims 2 and 4. I do really hate story progression too, so I wouldn't want that either. But I need rotational play in my Sims game or it's useless to me. I need to be able to make my own townies and populate my worlds the way I want. It's just how my gameplay goes.

You are aware there is rotation play in Sims 3? You can jump households as much as you want just like Sims 2 and 4. You change the active household when you're in "Edit Town" mode.

Except that I don't find it at all like Sims 2 and 4 because there is loss when you switch, so it's not without consequences. The game wasn't originally designed for rotational play, it was one of the major things missing when the base game released and a core reason I didn't play or support Sims 3. I just really hope they never do that again.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    edited December 2018
    Sims 3 is my favorite of all the Sims games, and I do switch households when I play a game. I wish that their wants and their opportunities stayed with them when you switched households, though. I always have to make sure I'm at a good stopping point when I switch. I love open world, but if they incorporate that into Sims 5 (if there is one) I would like if they would allow the wants/opportunities/whatever to remain locked if you switch households.

Story progression is fun to me, but a way to enable/disable it would be preferred by me.

To be more on topic, have there been any other advertisements for new positions at Maxis?
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    First of all, maxis should better pick a good game engine capable of implemeting open world again. With that said, all of the features that we’ve been wanting for too long would be possible without a single doubt.
    y'all got bread?
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    First of all, maxis should better pick a good game engine capable of implemeting open world again. With that said, all of the features that we’ve been wanting for too long would be possible without a single doubt.

They don’t pick a engine. The Sims games on PC have never used an existing third party game engine. They always develop an engine themselves and tailor it to their needs.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »

Exactly.

Except that I don't find it at all like Sims 2 and 4 because there is loss when you switch, so it's not without consequences. The game wasn't originally designed for rotational play, it was one of the major things missing when the base game released and a core reason I didn't play or support Sims 3. I just really hope they never do that again.

The only thing I ever lost was the lock on the wish/want/whim. So, if it was important to me, I filled it before I switched. But I did play with story progression off (but it's never really off) and aging off, so I played TS3 just as I played TS2.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I hope it's The Sims 5 but I'm not going to believe it's The Sims 5 until they announce The Sims 5, and then I need to see what they do because I do not want a repeat of The Sims 4, though it does have a few good qualities. I also don't want The Sims 4 to be another game they don't work the kinks out of before moving on because it doesn't spell good things for The Sims 5 if we're still relying on other players to fix the game because the creators haven't or won't.

Whenever they start working on it I hope they come to the forums to include us in brainstorming and feedback. I want great sims with vibrant personalities and great open worlds that are interconnected. Great sims and a great world really shouldn't be an either/or thing. A good game all around is possible with a little something for every type of player to at least be okay or content. But basically, more options and control in the hands of players. Fewer limitations and more freedoms. A game where each player can truly make it their own whether they want their sims to live in the modern ages or the stone ages.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    There's a rumor going round that the game being worked on is actually the real olympus online game. Some are calling it Sims 4 online even and not Sims 5 at all. I guess some of the career position also point to online type game or so it's being rumored. Still looking for where this info is though as I am not finding sources really other than a mention over on Simsvip or two.

Lord I sure hope not - I detest online games and Sims online was the absolute worse game ever. Anyone else see any sources on this being actually what that new game is or what? Very curious.

With the recent debacle of the online Fallout 76 and Bethesda's tragic handling of the situation EA would have to be really blind to the world around them, to try and convert a single player game into an MMO again. The examples of such failures aren't short, even within EA itself. Online currency for microtransactions, clothing lootboxes.......,it's going to be a total catastrophe.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »

They don’t pick a engine. The Sims games on PC have never used an existing third party game engine. They always develop an engine themselves and tailor it to their needs.

I mean like they should better use a proper engine that is way better than both the sims 3 and sims 4.
    A game that is open-ended while still having no game-breaking issues.

I’ve never said anything about thir party engines, silly :smiley:
    y'all got bread?