March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• Lilypink79Lilypink79 Posts: 115 Member
    edited December 2018
    ciane wrote: »
    Those are what you need to include, but you aren't limited to them @Lilypink79.

I am really looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with.

I had a problem where I couldn't place a ladder, so I started all over again and couldn't place a fence. Then, I finally found out it was that tall barn door I'd MOO'd in that was in the way! I rebuilt my stables way too many times!

I hope you are all having fun with what you are working on!

Thanks Ciane :)

Oh dear, sounds like you got yourself out of a sticky situation there. I haven't started to build yet. I very quickly created a rough Mr & Mrs Claus in cas, although i'm not happy with them so i'll probably start again. I have an idea in my head about the house but i've had that many issues with my game and pc over the weekend I haven't had chance to play around.

I lost over 30gb of saved downloads (slightly ocd organized in categories, with supporting links and images) dating back to when TS3 was first released. Lesson learned... don't buy a cheap USB stick from ebay :'(
    I've got 99 problems and TS4 glitches are 99 of them
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    In case anyone is interested, the download link for Autumn Abode (BnS 208) has been added to my entry form. Feels really good to be able to upload again. :smiley:

@Lilypink79 How upsetting that must have been! I haven't lost nearly that much, but have lost enough meaningful creations and can easily sympathize with you over this. Sorry you had to "learn this lesson" in such a way. :'(
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    edited December 2018
    Lilypink79 wrote: »

I lost over 30gb of saved downloads (slightly ocd organized in categories, with supporting links and images) dating back to when TS3 was first released. Lesson learned... don't buy a cheap USB stick from ebay :'(

Very sorry to hear that as well. I used to keep all my CC on cds, just in case...until the burning software was taken away. I have stuff all the way back to Sims 1 on disc--now if I just had a computer that would still play Sims 1.

I have a question for everyone--is anyone else finding the barn takes up a huge portion of the lot? Are you using the box stalls, and how many--or are you just building your own? I am on my third lot, but in each the barn seems to take the focus...

The other problem is, there is no 40x30 lot in World Editor, so I cannot place a lot. There is a 40x40 though...any way we can bump up the dimensions of the lot slightly? errr...maybe this is not a complete necessity as I finally found a 30x40...
    Thanks!!!
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    @iampes23 - I built in Sunset Valley and it has empty 40x30 lots on the edge of town next to the 40x40 where the junkyard auto spawns.

I built a small barn with 3x3 stalls figuring that was as small as a horse could move around in and reindeer are smaller than a horse, right? I also have two box stalls. I haven't gotten to the point of play testing yet, obviously; but you know horses will sleep anywhere they have space, so the box stalls aren't really necessary, just convenient, like beds for sims! ; } I also have the barn on the edge of the property so it only has a front really.

@Lilypink79 - Ouch! I feel your pain. Multiple backups is always best. The cloud is a really nice secondary backup option. I'd be mourning for a week or so, if I were you. Hugs and hot chocolate!

@iampes23 - I built in Sunset Valley and it has empty 40x30 lots on the edge of town next to the 40x40 where the junkyard auto spawns.

I built a small barn with 3x3 stalls figuring that was as small as a horse could move around in and reindeer are smaller than a horse, right? I also have two box stalls. I haven't gotten to the point of play testing yet, obviously; but you know horses will sleep anywhere they have space, so the box stalls aren't really necessary, just convenient, like beds for sims! ; } I also have the barn on the edge of the property so it only has a front really.

Thanks for the info. I think I have tried playing with the horses once, years ago now. But the 3x3 "custom" boxes sound better to me than those huge ones. I don't actually plan on play testing with a horse anyway. But I did want it to at least look big enough for them. My problem with the 40x30 lot was that the barn was to the side of the house and huge, so the house looked off. I am hoping (now that I found a 30x40) to put the barn behind the house so it does not draw the eye as much. And, yes, I had to delete a business to do it.

ADWilson wrote: »
    @Lilypink79 How upsetting that must have been! I haven't lost nearly that much, but have lost enough meaningful creations and can easily sympathize with you over this. Sorry you had to "learn this lesson" in such a way. :'(

The CC I can replace 95% of it (even if it will take hours) but as you say, it's the meaningful creations. I made quite a few houses and sims that I won't be able to recreate again :(
    iampes23 wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear that as well. I used to keep all my CC on cds, just in case...until the burning software was taken away. I have stuff all the way back to Sims 1 on disc--now if I just had a computer that would still play Sims 1.

I have a question for everyone--is anyone else finding the barn takes up a huge portion of the lot? Are you using the box stalls, and how many--or are you just building your own? I am on my third lot, but in each the barn seems to take the focus...

The other problem is, there is no 40x30 lot in World Editor, so I cannot place a lot. There is a 40x40 though...any way we can bump up the dimensions of the lot slightly? errr...maybe this is not a complete necessity as I finally found a 30x40...
    Thanks!!!

i'm going to buy some cds this week. I think if i dug out my old pc i'd have sims 2 stuff. My sims 1 stuff is long gone. I still remember the very first house I ever built though, it was very pink! :D

I shrunk my barn down and made small custom stalls.

I found 2 lots next to each other in Hidden Springs (been dying to play in there) one 40x30 and the other 30x40 - I can't see any difference haha
    @Lilypink79 - Ouch! I feel your pain. Multiple backups is always best. The cloud is a really nice secondary backup option. I'd be mourning for a week or so, if I were you. Hugs and hot chocolate!

I'm laughing here as i'm actually drinking hot choc as I read your post Lol Hugs are always appreciated. I am definitely mourning (in a plummed off frustrated kind of way) I didn't even need to move my downloads as I have plenty of memory on my pc. Lesson learned haha

I'm being very indecisive about this build. I know the layout of my lot (over half of the structures are built) it's just the decorating that I can't make my mind up on. I have 2 ideas and I don't know which to go with. I might just do both for fun, it'll keep me out of trouble. haha

edited December 2018
    I need some opinions on this--do the windows on top blend in too well with the wall?

kp9gRFN.jpg

And, yay!!! not moving until next month now :D
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @iampes23 I like the windows and think they pop right out there, at least in that picture. I do see that the siding and window colors are basically the same, but it works for me.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited December 2018
    suzses wrote: »
    @iampes23 I like the windows and think they pop right out there, at least in that picture. I do see that the siding and window colors are basically the same, but it works for me.

Thanks! I wonder if I did the window outside trim in the redwood instead of the teak, do you think that might be better or too flashy?
    VUOHQMh.jpg

So the redwood or the teak?
    Post edited by iampes23 on
    @iampes23 Might work. Only way to tell is try it, yes?
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    Sorry. I added the pic late.
    @iampes23 Ah, I see the picture now. I like them both, but I think I like the first (teak) better. You might see something different when looking at the entire build, like in terms of overall balance.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    suzses wrote: »
    @iampes23 Ah, I see the picture now. I like them both, but I think I like the first (teak) better. You might see something different when looking at the entire build, like in terms of overall balance.

I like them both. :( Not sure what to do now...the rest of the house will have the teak ones. Anyone else, feel free to chime in :D

@iampes23 I think both work nicely. If I had to chose i'd say the first set. I can't wait to see your finished design... it looks huge!
    Lilypink79 wrote: »
    @iampes23 I think both work nicely. If I had to chose i'd say the first set. I can't wait to see your finished design... it looks huge!

Lol My builds are always huge! Yes, I think you and Suzses are right--going with the teak :D Thanks very much for the help!!

• KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    edited December 2018
    Hi everyone. I've not been able to get on here much in the last three to four weeks. Wow what a whirlwind of activity we have had here at home. Finally all the visitors have now left, we had a grand good time, but it's nice to have some quiet time.

Congrats to last month's winners, I thought all the builds were wonderful and so unique. Congrats @ciane for joining the team, I'm sure you will do a great job.

I won't be able to finish this months challenge, more active activities for me coming up :# However I did create the family and fooled around with an idea.

32361121528_f7e1cba9fc_o.jpg

I was going to have the huge house as the centerpiece with the workshops and stables and such surrounding the drive with the tree. Sadly this is as far as I will get.
    32361116978_9c65fa330e_z.jpg
    edited December 2018
    It's awesome @Kgaff! love the big tree and the varied gables along with your window and texture and color choices. Nice mix of hedges too! Love your Santa Claus & family too!
  • paneingerpaneinger Posts: 214 Member
    When you have to demo half the dang house to place a staircase **just** right, then rebuild everything perfectly...and then the game crashes. Argh.

But I really like that huge Christmas tree, @Kgaff !
    @Kgaff I hope you do find some time to finish your build. I would love to see what you were building on the inside too :D
    @paneinger Oh no, I feel your pain! Hope everything worked out OK when you reloaded your game (if you've had a chance).

@Kgaff Both your home and household look festive and just great. Wouldn't it be nice if Santa gave you a present of more time to finish it. :)
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    edited December 2018
    With Christmas just a week away, I'm sure everyone is super busy. I am, however, hoping you find time to share your creations with us.

I finished mine awhile ago, but as always, I let it sit and returned to it later. I found out that I couldn't place the matching cupboard over my counter and have it useable for some weird reason. So, instead of cute cupboards with the mid-century cup board MOO'd between them, I have one cupboard with the mid-century cup board MOO'd next to it over the counter, which is now useable! Interestingly enough, the same cupboard works over the baking oven!

Life and Sims is always interesting, even after a decade, isn't it?

Anyway this is my lot:
    roof_up_original.jpg

https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9273495

And now, I look forward to seeing yours!
    @ciane Thanks for sharing! That looks amazing!
    I took some time off to do the Sims 4 challenge. I am not happy with that one, but at least it is done. I will be back to work on this one soon. I also hope others are able to fit the build in their schedule!! :D
  • equuestequuest Posts: 718 Member
    My Christmas break for school starts on the 24th. Then after Christmas I'd like to try this build! Even if it is a little late for the holidays :#
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    Yeah, as much as I was gleefully looking forward to doing this, I've had to put it aside due to life needs until after Christmas, so I'll have like... 4 frantic days to start and finish this! :D ho-ho-ho!
    i'm half way through building mine, I will "hopefully" have it finished by xmas day

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top