Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Desperate for cash!

StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
I moved my sim family to 1 Torendi Tower Penthouse (at a cost of 456,000 simoleons). After their first week, the bills of 20k(ish) brought them down to only 1,000 simoleons in liquid funds.

I desperately need to make sure they raise the money to afford bills each week and it doesn't look like career salary alone will cut it. I'm seeking advice on the best way to earn some money quickly with what skills they have available. They have 3 children and 1 toddler to care for as well, which is really cutting into available earning time.

Miko works in the charity branch of the political career, is at career level 5, and has High Charisma and singing, and middling painting skill.
Abel works in the Tech career and is a pro-gamer (top of career ladder), he has maxed video gaming, cooking, handiness, logic, programming and rocket science skills.

I'm having Abel work on hacking and then will do some programming. Just wondering if there's something I'm missing as a better money earner with what is available to them. Painting is pretty good normally, but I use a mod that makes painting take longer because it's pretty much 'too good' for money normally (imo). Is there a way for Miko to earn money just with Charisma?

Heh, i'm not used to being in this dilemma...I don't normally let my established (this is 2nd generation household) sims get this tapped out, but they needed larger digs because of all the kids.

This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
The Winters family Tree --- My Mods

Comments

• alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    There is a reward trait (don't know the English word, modest or frugal) that helps a lot against high bills.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    sweet, I get that trait often (it's frugal)...but had actually forgotten it for this generation. I don't tend to get any of the super expensive traits (the ones that eliminate needs) because they feel too cheaty...so my main sim in the household has enough aspiration points for it. Thank you for the reminder @alanmichael1!

I also have the trait from aspiration that gives interest on funds available, it's what I am used to living on...sadly interest on 0 is 0....
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Do they have things in the household inventory to delete? That will bring bills down. Do you have a place with all crops available for harvest? Harvest then sell.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    sweet, I get that trait often (it's frugal)...but had actually forgotten it for this generation. I don't tend to get any of the super expensive traits (the ones that eliminate needs) because they feel too cheaty...so my main sim in the household has enough aspiration points for it. Thank you for the reminder @alanmichael1!

I also have the trait from aspiration that gives interest on funds available, it's what I am used to living on...sadly interest on 0 is 0....

Do any of them have time to go hunting for collectibles? That will bring in a little extra cash.

And what is this trait of which you speak? I've never heard of it! :o
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Sell harvest, get collectables, buy a woodworking table and build the handiness skill, baking, painting...
    @loubyloulou, it is one of the traits you can buy with aspiration points. Pretty sure the name is "Frugal" It reduces the household bills....I literally always get it, can't believe I forgot about it entirely in the current generation. I didn't buy it when the heir was still living with his parents like I normally do, and then it just slipped my mind.

Also, good tip on the collectibles, Miko can dash out to do some of that in the city while Abel works on his hacking/programming. I'm trying to do things where both of them are generating revenue at the same time (rather than someone being on a different lot being useless). Snow globes and posters have sell value though!

@playersinger2010 Afraid to spend money on the woodworking table, can you estimate the return on investment speed? Abel has good handiness, but is already doing programming/hacking, will the woodworking table be higher margins?
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member

Do any of them have time to go hunting for collectibles? That will bring in a little extra cash.

And what is this trait of which you speak? I've never heard of it! :o

It's a reward trait for 2000 points - easy to collect if you have Seasons and get 500 points for successful holidays. It reduces bills immensely. All my Sims have this trait.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Money tree? Not sure if you need reward points to get it. Kids can hunt for frogs and fish (I think).
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Llandros2012Llandros2012 Posts: 620 Member
    I sometimes have my sims use the woodworking table at the art center in San Myshuno if I don't have room/money to buy their own - making garden tubs cost 377 but they will bring in anywhere from 800 on the low end to 4700 so far for the high end (their mood when creating will effect the value) - painting is probably quicker but not with the mod that you are using. If they learn the schematic of the mascot in Granite Falls, they can do even better, but that involves a trip to learn it.

The easiest and fastest way to earn money that I have found so far without any necessary skills is the music mixing table - it's quick and I believe only a 12 hour turn around time before you can release more music.
    edited December 2018
    Nice, thanks @Llandros2012, I didn't even think of trying to find a woodworking table out on a public lot. I'll check it out!

Where can I find a music mixing table? Somewhere in DSV I assume, haven't really explored there much.

@Simmerville Yet another thing I didn't think of. Not sure if we'll have the aspiration points for that though, I know I have enough for frugal, but money tree isn't cheap (5k i think). Miko has 0 aspiration, having only joined active play recently in my game. I'll definitely check if I can buy that once I am playing again though. Appreciate the idea!
  • StilettoBlackStilettoBlack Posts: 3,844 Member
    How high is their charisma? I'm pretty sure if it is high enough, you can ask other Sims for loans.
  • fallenangel66fallenangel66 Posts: 294 Member
    I can shoot and pump out videos on the media production table gaining 500 or so the first day and 1000 the second. I've had really good luck with that. More if you can do what's trending, just don't rename them.
    edited December 2018
    @rosettasstoned Miko has 8, which allows her to do that. I've just never tried it so didn't think about it. I just googled, and it looks like there is no interest involved....definitely will do that to try to at least get enough for the next bill cycle, until I can get some more money being generated. I do have the trait that gives interest on money on hand...so it makes sense to take a lot of those 0 interest loans right before the interest comes in!

Think the ideas here will definitely get some money on hand to cover the next bill cycle, which should be the last one that is a problem. Miko should get a few promotions (and the cash bonus that comes with those) after that. Once my household has fluidity, earned interest takes over and makes it easy to stay ahead.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I still like the painting club. I'm using one right now in the save I'm playing today because it fits well enough with my sims character type. It's cheaty and of course you need Get Together.
    You can also basically go about your business as other sims are making money for you and getting better at painting when they do. I just buy as many easels as I can afford and add to them so there are almost twice as many as club members eventually. That way they can go from one to another. If you don't feel like interacting you can drag finished and abandoned pictures to the wall and sell them or dispose of them when you get a chance too.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Llandros2012Llandros2012 Posts: 620 Member
    Nice, thanks @Llandros2012, I didn't even think of trying to find a woodworking table out on a public lot. I'll check it out!

Where can I find a music mixing table? Somewhere in DSV I assume, haven't really explored there much.

I may be wrong but the only public one I've seen so far has been at the studio of the acting career (no help if you're not an actor!) - you can stay late instead of going home and mix some music as well as the video mixing - I'd do that for actors that have no room/cash to buy their own equipment. Have not seen those items out and about in the other venues yet but will keep an eye out for them!
    @hermitgirl, Lol, that's the first time I've even heard of doing a painting club...but I instantly understand how it could be great money.

There are 3 easels in my current home (1 came with the place and 2 came with them from career rewards for the generation 1 mother). I've made a little money just selling paintings that random visitors decided to make. I love the idea of having a club to generate them pretty much on demand.

@llandros2012 No actors in my household, unfortunately. If you find any out and about elsewhere, let me know! I'll also check the lounges in my DSV, I replaced them with ones from the gallery when GF came out, so maybe their creator snuck one in there.
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    @loubyloulou, it is one of the traits you can buy with aspiration points. Pretty sure the name is "Frugal" It reduces the household bills....I literally always get it, can't believe I forgot about it entirely in the current generation. I didn't buy it when the heir was still living with his parents like I normally do, and then it just slipped my mind.

Also, good tip on the collectibles, Miko can dash out to do some of that in the city while Abel works on his hacking/programming. I'm trying to do things where both of them are generating revenue at the same time (rather than someone being on a different lot being useless). Snow globes and posters have sell value though!

@playersinger2010 Afraid to spend money on the woodworking table, can you estimate the return on investment speed? Abel has good handiness, but is already doing programming/hacking, will the woodworking table be higher margins?

Ah sorry, I meant the trait that gives you interest on funds available, not the frugal trait - that's usually one of the first ones I get :p
    edited December 2018
    OH! Sorry for misunderstanding @loubyloulou, the trait for getting interest is the reward for completing the Fortune->Fabulously Wealthy aspiration. The name of the trait is "Shrewd" and it gives interest of 5% of your household funds added to the bank roll every week.
    It's pretty awesome to have once you have some bank added up, which I usually do by generation 2 of a game (until I spend it all like a fool...obviously). My sims, before I spent all their money on the move, were getting about 23,000 a week from it.

Once I have progressed a bit in the game, it's pretty easy to complete the aspiration. The heir sim in my current game completed the aspiration instantly when i switched him to it after he had completed his first adult aspiration. He already met every qualification for every tier prior to me even taking it.
    Going to fire up the game now and work on some of these ideas folks provided, thank you all for the help.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited December 2018

Maybe you could sell off some of the furniture and go for cheaper stuff? That'll give you some money and reduce the bills. I've made some decent money in past saves from programming (freelance work at level 5) so that could be an option for your eSports star. The purchasable trait (I think it's Thrifty) supposedly reduces the bills so that combined with downsizing a bit could help. If you have a lot of aspiration points and you have Seasons installed, get the money tree seed; once it grows and starts producing fruit you get §8000 a harvest, so if you harvest every day that's §56000 a week, and that goes up if you take care of it.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    edited December 2018
    I can't downsize, @stilljustme2, i did some of that just to be able to afford the place...I mean, I guess I could get a smaller TV and sell the hot-tub and some decor...but, that's really a last resort. I moved to the place FOR all the room for that stuff. hahah Thanks for the suggestion though!

Definitely doing the programming though, that's daily income once it's done. Abel is working on an app right now.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    When my sims are down on their luck they go to the park for food. Somesim else spends time and simoleons making and saving that for us. How nice. Collecting stuff is one of my favorite “need-cash-stat” fixes.
  • TrashDeBluncTrashDeBlunc Posts: 85 Member
    When truly desperate enough, I always use the violin-Get To Work get rich quick scheme.

It starts with buying, so you need to liquefy some assets, until you can purchase both an empty lot and the 15k violin.

Then you take whichever sim you have that has the best charisma and sell that one violin at 100% markup in your empty retail lot. That should net you 30k, enough to purchase two violins.

I always stop at two, but you just keep selling and restocking, netting that extra 15k with each go. Eventually you sell the last two violins, and sell the empty lot, rich af.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I can't downsize, @stilljustme2, i did some of that just to be able to afford the place...I mean, I guess I could get a smaller TV and sell the hot-tub and some decor...but, that's really a last resort. I moved to the place FOR all the room for that stuff. hahah Thanks for the suggestion though!

Definitely doing the programming though, that's daily income once it's done. Abel is working on an app right now.

Welcome to Real Life. :|

I don't have many active Sims in penthouses -- I actually prefer the suburbs so I look for houses on the Gallery that hold my families, then gradually upgrade; I like houses that have space to add basements because I can add extra rooms down below if needed. I only have two residential penthouses currently (I made the one in the Arts District into a restaurant, but I also took out the penthouse Lounge and made it into residential). Most recently I've had Sims living in a remodeled Brook Bunglaow in Willow Creek; I added on an office/study on the back of the first floor, then another master bedroom on the second floor so I have two master suites, plus fit in a basement that I can expand later as the famiy's needs develop.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • SimsandraSimsandra Posts: 315 Member
    I have Diego Lobo and Candy Behr with 4 children and a butler living in that lot. Diego has high painting skills, so does Candy. They both paint one to threepaintings a day and I placed some fireplaces around, so they dont need to pay the costs that thermostat does.
    Frugal traits for every household member if possible, but that just was suggested by others.
    I placed a lot of stuff to produce things and sell them after they are finished, but dont use it often. For I guess 5000 reward points you can get a money tree and harvest some cash.
    But I really get along mostly with the parents jobs and the paintings.