Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Expansion on death: Funerals, in depth mourning, goodbye celebrations and how death should be.

Welp, so much for a break...

Youtube being the main inspiration again, the specific here youtuber being one "Ask A Mortician" Caitlin Doughty, so blame her if you're sick of me.

Having binge watched her videos more often than should be normal, I've wondered about death, not just in real life but for the sims, how lacking death is for our creations and how much is missing from the overall experience of saying goodbye and mourning our fallen Sims.

Plenty have brought up this issue regarding the inevitable demise of our beloved creations, but after watching Caitlin, I've wondered if EA and the gurus could spice up the whole popping of clogs ordeal by expanding in either a large patch or pack which carries some of her subjects, ideals for death and constantly spoken topics.

Yes, I am very aware her content is...not something the sims team want to confront or offer simmers, especially when they're already against negativity in any way, shape or form, but she does make some softer, kinder, easier on the soul, content, and I feel maybe the team could take some of her personality and thoughts and try to apply them to Sims 4, expanding death but not in a completely stomach upsetting way.

She is very much "death control, have a home funeral, do it yourself and don't get cheated" minded, I admire that, and if you whittle through her videos, it's easy-ish to come out with a lighter variant, one possible of being added to a video game such as sims.

Home funerals? No, well perhaps you can throw a funeral and mourn the urn of a sim, rather than have a coffin appear on the dinner table whilst Lil Johnny is eating lunch.

Similar to the older sims games, you can throw a funeral, but instead of the usual hearse and mournful attire of a real life one, you get to choose how your sims say farewell to grandpa, maybe go to a bar and drink to his memory, or dance the night away while sobbing hysterically, stay at home with family and friends enjoying a home cooked meal whilst watching old home movies you made with Grandpa involved.

The point of this would be to mourn, or celebrate, your way, make it sad with everyone falling to their knees and throwing their fists to the sky, or make it a relaxed, quiet send off, maybe go at it alone and just enjoy the time you've spent with the said sim by sitting on the sofa and holding the urn or precious keepsake.

Maybe have customisation added to stones so that you can give an eco twist and turn them into trees or shrubs to make a prettier graveyard,

Get the kids involved with baking death themed cookies or give them the goodbye talk.

have the ability to scatter their ashes rather than keep the urn forever.

be given ways to speak to their ghosts once they've passed on or even attempt to contact a medium and have them help you.

Have the option to build a crypt and place them inside with the choice to come visit, work nearby to keep an eye on them or even decorate it for holiday seasons.

Obviously there is more than this and I want you to fill in the blanks! What can be added, what do you want to see to expand death in the sims 4, how do you want to bid Grandpa or cousin Ellie goodbye?

Do you even want to bid them goodbye? How about the ability to obsess and refuse to accept they're gone? How about death denial in it's purest form?

Comment below and again, sorry for the spam, I just have a lot of ideas and sadly they're all for the sims 4.

Have a good evening and I'll hopefully not have another bout of inspiration until after Christmas.

Sul Sul

Comments

• M_Valentine22M_Valentine22 Posts: 203 Member
    there are some mods for this
    hope you all are smiling x
  • GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    there are some mods for this

As much as I appreciate the time and effort put into mods, the reason this thread is here is because not everyone can or wants to use mods.

Thank you for the heads up, however as someone with a bad experience of mods and what they can do to a game and computer, I’d rather have a patch or pack be released, then any issues are strictly EA’s issue to deal with and therefore any blame on the simmer is non existent. Well almost, they try,

I’ve seen mods for death improvement, some of them are so detailed it’s sad to see them not be official game content.

Again, thanks for the heads up, anyone who uses mods will very much benefit from simmers hard work and effort put into these things, but for me, I have to pray the gurus take notice and offer some sort of new content regarding this topic.

All the love and respect for modders and creators, we need more of them and frankly, most of them should work for EA at this point because they probably do a better job of coding than staff do.

• sazzieJsazzieJ Posts: 150 Member
    its an interesting idea, one that if implemented would hopefully have taken ALOT of planning so its done right and in a tasteful manner.

i wouldnt mind it being added. the sims are so over the top happy all the time that it would at least break up that sugar and spice nonsense.

to me, it should have a time limit. the sims are sad for two days when loved, and not so loved, ones die so if a funeral (could be called a 'celebration of life' in game) was being held it would have to be held within that time frame before the moodlet goes away. even if the moodlet is being overridden by happy ones, so long as its there a celebration option is there.

its been mentioned in other threads that sims could create wills dividing their wealth and how pets/children are cared for so, starting at YA sims could write a will dictating how their life is celebrated - down the pub? no worries, listening to their fave music? done, going to their favourite community spot and just sitting there taking it all in? of course - but if they dont finish it or only divide the wealth then the sims family could decide what to do. if its noted what they want to do, then the sims family could call or organise it on the computer and the only thing they can select is the time, everything else is preselected. then when the time comes the sims family show up in the chosen attire and random sims who our sim knew would show up or be there to offer their condolences.

of course this wont be everyones thing so if the player chooses not or doesnt want to have these celebrations then they dont do anything and the sims continue on as normal, sortve like an opt in thing.
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,337 Member
    I would like to see this as well.