Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which hair type do you prefer? Alpha or clay?

Comments

• citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    Clays for days.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• JujuAwesomeBeansJujuAwesomeBeans Posts: 85 Member
    Mostly the clay style since it matches Maxis, but I have found a few Alpha ones that blend in. It's mainly the wispy hair in Alpha styles that stand out to me. Cute irl, but just doesn't go with the game. I love smooth bangs or chunky hair pieces though.
  • AceOfKnavesAceOfKnaves Posts: 173 Member
    Alpha all the way. I use clay if it fits the Sims' personality. Kind of weird, I guess.
  • MadIrisMadIris Posts: 594 Member
    edited November 2018
    Clay baby, clay

I prefer alpha for sims 3.
  • oyakelemonoyakelemon Posts: 6 New Member
    I prefer Alpha hair,but some clay hair also really good :D
  • digitaltrashcandigitaltrashcan Posts: 30 Member
    clay bc it matches the aesthetic of ts4 better. alpha is nice but it just doesn't work that well with the design of the world and the actual sims
  • rosenero10rosenero10 Posts: 536 Member
    06-16-18_10-48-23%25C2%25A0PM.png

I can't find an interest to go back to vanilla gaming. Sorry. I know there are many who only play vanilla. I just can't.
  • Gablob2306Gablob2306 Posts: 48 Member
    I prefer clay as it fits with TS4 aesthetic. I find mixing the two off-putting.
  • DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 470 Member
    Clay for me, although only after the base game, once they figured out how to make it look nice.

Then again I prefer the maxis match style in my own game.
  • v_khaiv_khai Posts: 2 New Member
    Clay is definitely more attractive in my opinion, but Alpha would be great if it had more textures and in-depth detail!
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    Alpha, you can use them as a mirror! But I use clay, because of vanilla.
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • LoveMyMeowLoveMyMeow Posts: 38 Member
    edited December 2018
    I like both, and I have a mix-match of both in my game, I don't mind to be honest. For me it really boils down to the hairstyle more than anything, some custom content hair are too fancy and glamorous for my average sims. I only keep some fancy ones for the rich and famous sims, that's about it. There's no need for normal average townies to walk around with ridiculously fancy hairstyles and updos.
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited January 2019
    For TS4? Absolutely clay. It actually matches the rest of the game. It's cartoony, which is exactly what I need. Also, on the CC creator side of it, it's just much easier to mesh all kinds of clay hairstyles.

And when everyone has clay hair, nobody does. That is, it just passes as the style of the game, it looks fine. But if you put a single sim in there with alpha hair, things start to look wrong.

Alpha really only worked in TS2 and TS3 anyway. Clay hairs would look incredibly out of place in those games.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • JokersKiddoJokersKiddo Posts: 19 Member
    I can't stand clay hair or maxis clothes. And even some furniture and such. I give all of my sims and townies makeovers with alpha cc. And all the houses have alpha cc including floors and walls. I wish I could delete most of the maxis things in my game and replace them with alpha.
    Custom Content Addicts Anonymous <3
  • NovaBelladonnaNovaBelladonna Posts: 58 Member
    I prefer alpha in my own game bc I love the cartoony style, but when someone else has gone to the effort of making everyone in their game alpha, it's super pretty!

An aside: I'm pretty new to cc. If I wanted clay hair in more colours than maxis offers can I download that somewhere, or would I have to download loads of seperate re-colours? I want long, messy, lime-green hair specifically and maybe some proper-white hair.
    For a let's play about a vampire who wants to take over the world, check out my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmFyY60q4J0PJNKCePjVG8g
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    edited January 2019
    I cannot stand anything copy/pasted from photographs in my game as it looks cheap, so I don't like alpha-anything in my game. As for the hairs, same deal - alpha hairs do not have a very defined form/shape so it looks bad.
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    I prefer alpha in my own game bc I love the cartoony style, but when someone else has gone to the effort of making everyone in their game alpha, it's super pretty!

An aside: I'm pretty new to cc. If I wanted clay hair in more colours than maxis offers can I download that somewhere, or would I have to download loads of seperate re-colours? I want long, messy, lime-green hair specifically and maybe some proper-white hair.

You can look up recolors! There are plenty of recolors floating around for maxis-match hairs. I know I've seen lime green and white around somewhere.

Oh, that brings me to another point too: Alpha hairs usually don't use maxis-match swatches at all. Which is lame, since I like to flip through the hairs while keeping the chosen hair color intact.
    Also, I like the unnatural colors. Alpha stuff seems to be geared towards realism-simmers in general, so most of the swatches will usually be realistic natural colors, from what I've seen. So if I ever want fun-colored alpha hairs, I'd probably have to recolor it myself. Which is lame.

Clay wins.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Seafoam_Green123Seafoam_Green123 Posts: 68 Member
    Clay/Maxis Match! I do use some Alpha (like my avi) but not fully Alpha, maybe two (on a v rare occasion, three) items per sim if I'm using alpha. I'm going off a bit but for example if I own alpha clothes its most of the time trousers and I don't have branded things in game. I play sims to not think about life and have fun, not to bring reality into it!

I don't use Alpha hair on my everyday sims, I use it most of the time when I just make random townies or people for CAS challenges :)
    ( recommend me some good maxis clothes/ hair <3 )
  • xoSnowyOwlxoxoSnowyOwlxo Posts: 29 Member
    I don't mind Clay (I use it mostly for toddlers), but I definitely prefer Alpha. I find that Alpha and Clay hair both have some beautiful hair styles that suit a variety of different sims, so they're both awesome imo :blush:
  • MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    @rosenero10 That sim is stunning!! I’ve tried to get make-up like that for my sims, but it never works out because I just don’t really know much about make up irl. Do you have any tips or anything that may be able to help?
  • heavenlyhoshiheavenlyhoshi Posts: 21 New Member
    Honestly, I use both- but I prefer the clay look than just alpha.
  • FinnadoraFinnadora Posts: 87 Member
    I like a mix of both, though I generally prefer alpha. Like another person said earlier, I tend to use clay on toddlers and some children because I feel like clay is very cutsie and I like having cute toddlers.
  • ForkySporkyForkySporky Posts: 91 Member
    I can't stand clay hair or maxis clothes. And even some furniture and such. I give all of my sims and townies makeovers with alpha cc. And all the houses have alpha cc including floors and walls. I wish I could delete most of the maxis things in my game and replace them with alpha.

Well, I mean, that's what hider mods are for, yeah? I love costume hider mods. I don't need sims running around in hotdog suits. Ever.
  • stepbot153stepbot153 Posts: 284 Member
    Clay for sims 4, Alpha for sims 3 and 2. :)
    C6y3sJN.jpg
    My wishlist [x]