Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim can't do interactions with another Sim

I have a Sim who can't "click" on her fiance to do interactions. She can do it with everyone else, and everyone else can do it with her (including her fiance.) She's able to click on a location and "go there with" to make groups. I noticed this was going on but since I could work around it I kept playing. But it's really starting to bug me. (But that also means there are no saves to go back to unfortunately.)

I have tried using "resetsim" to reset both the Sim and her fiance. And he's definitely listed as her fiance. I've also tried going out of the game and then restarting it, but nothing seems to help.

Any way to fix this?

Comments

• KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member
    I've been playing Sims 3 since it first came out and this is the first time I've had this issue.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    IIRC you don't use mods? If you did, I'd try a reset of both sims with NRaas MasterController.

Otherwise, I'd try starting up the game, go directly to Edit Town, evict the household (or both if they are living together) to the clipboard (top left of the screen, copying the house to the bin, bulldoze the house, replace the house from the bin, and then move the household back in. That's standard non-mod way to do a harder reset of lot and household. If it doesn't work I'd exit without saving only because I think this process makes the household inactive and that means at minimum they'll lose saved wishes. I'm not sure about jobs. If it works it's probably worth the trouble. If it doesn't I'd exit without saving and try something else (like maybe traveling, or just moving to another lot, or moving the sims and house to another lot in town).

Also, try emptying out both sims' inventories. I haven't heard of this specific issue being due to an inventory problem, but some things like (omniplant?) seeds can cause problems.

I've never had this issue myself, and I can't remember reading about it either. That's all the ideas I have. Hopefully someone has some better advice.
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    IIRC you don't use mods? If you did, I'd try a reset of both sims with NRaas MasterController.

Otherwise, I'd try starting up the game, go directly to Edit Town, evict the household (or both if they are living together) to the clipboard (top left of the screen, copying the house to the bin, bulldoze the house, replace the house from the bin, and then move the household back in. That's standard non-mod way to do a harder reset of lot and household. If it doesn't work I'd exit without saving only because I think this process makes the household inactive and that means at minimum they'll lose saved wishes. I'm not sure about jobs. If it works it's probably worth the trouble. If it doesn't I'd exit without saving and try something else (like maybe traveling, or just moving to another lot, or moving the sims and house to another lot in town).

Also, try emptying out both sims' inventories. I haven't heard of this specific issue being due to an inventory problem, but some things like (omniplant?) seeds can cause problems.

I've never had this issue myself, and I can't remember reading about it either. That's all the ideas I have. Hopefully someone has some better advice.

They've been traveling since. Also sent them to University. They've had empty inventories. They don't even have any omni seeds (which can cause some other problems. There is always an error trapped when they earn their omniseed or when they order some, but it's never caused *this*.) They don't have any jobs (and I did try exiting without saving when I first noticed it.)

I do have 3 mods (Error Trap, Overwatch and Traveler.) I've had Master Controller in the past. I'll have to look for it and put it in. That's the only thing I haven't done.

Thanks for your help! (It's good to see that some of the people who've been around forever like I have are still here. I sort of quit coming much when TS4 started.)
    Well, nothing worked but at least I found out what happened. It was corruption caused by traveling with canned fruits/vegetables. It happened to another Sim which helped me figure out what went wrong. Even taking them out of her inventory after the fact didn't work. I guess they didn't test that before they started selling "Grandma's Canning Station" at the "Store." (With the previous Sim it looked like she didn't have anything in her inventory because the "canned" stuff picture goes away.)

This time I was able to go back to a previous save and redo it (by taking the canned vegetables/fruit out of her inventory before I sent her on vacation.)

So add "don't travel with canned fruit/vegetables in your Sim's inventory" to "don't travel with omniseeds in the inventory."
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    The travel and social experiences with those tend to improve with Butterbot's Canning Station Overhaul and NRaas Traveler mods in play, if so inclined (in this case, the NRaas mod is usually not enough on its own). :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    KatAnubis wrote: »
    Well, nothing worked but at least I found out what happened. It was corruption caused by traveling with canned fruits/vegetables. It happened to another Sim which helped me figure out what went wrong. Even taking them out of her inventory after the fact didn't work. I guess they didn't test that before they started selling "Grandma's Canning Station" at the "Store." (With the previous Sim it looked like she didn't have anything in her inventory because the "canned" stuff picture goes away.)

This time I was able to go back to a previous save and redo it (by taking the canned vegetables/fruit out of her inventory before I sent her on vacation.)

So add "don't travel with canned fruit/vegetables in your Sim's inventory" to "don't travel with omniseeds in the inventory."

Well that's good to know. I use the Canning Station Overhaul mod @igazor mentions and do occasionally travel with canned goods. But in all those cases I habitually put them in CC storage just because I don't like too many things in my sims' personal inventories. I wonder if that makes a difference. It might be the mod though, so far I have only traveled with the Double-Boiled Ginseng Broth and and with rations both of with are from the mod.
    TreyNutz wrote: »

Well that's good to know. I use the Canning Station Overhaul mod @igazor mentions and do occasionally travel with canned goods. But in all those cases I habitually put them in CC storage just because I don't like too many things in my sims' personal inventories. I wonder if that makes a difference. It might be the mod though, so far I have only traveled with the Double-Boiled Ginseng Broth and and with rations both of with are from the mod.

I'm going to install the Butterbot mod you mention. It looks like the problem I had is a well known one, based on what the instructions about it say. Odd that I couldn't find any messages on this forum about it!

(I've had the Traveler's mod since it came out. For years I only had the base game and World Adventures. A year ago I got Generations and Ambitions, as well as some things from the store. This year I got University and the canning station.)

I generally keep things in a World Adventures box in the "family inventory" rather than in personal inventories. It's much safer that way! However, I now have the CC storage you mentioned and will try that too. It looks like you can label the boxes (which you can't do with the WA ones. I have mine color coded to keep track of them.)

Thank you both for all your help!
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    This is not to write you on the nose as I find the search system on this forum somewhat lacking, but there is this thread:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/789689/corrupted-jam-share-your-experiences

And I have read several threads where igazor as well as others solved issues with that information, but now I ironically can't find them.

I usually don't use this forum's search engine but google the problem, with addition of 'sims 3' etc, and find threads here that way instead.

It is an interesting problem, since the all over repeated explanation and solution to missing interactions (on the different forums dedicated to The Sims, and other gaming forums) is conflicting mods or bad CC, with crinrict as the most prominent advocator:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/03/bug-social-interactions-are-missing.html

(When it is not caused as a side effect of a corrupted game, by bad management and careless cheating).

But for a unmodded game the objects from Grandma's canning station are reported to cause the same/similar issues.

I think one reason to why it is a little tricky to find things here is the naming of threads and utilizing of the sections and that suggestions are not always confirmed as problemsolving, like in this one:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/950071/trying-to-do-ghost-stuff

where I at least was very curious :smile:

(So I guess I am saying that your thread is exemplary).
    This is not to write you on the nose as I find the search system on this forum somewhat lacking, but there is this thread:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/789689/corrupted-jam-share-your-experiences

And I have read several threads where igazor as well as others solved issues with that information, but now I ironically can't find them.

I usually don't use this forum's search engine but google the problem, with addition of 'sims 3' etc, and find threads here that way instead.

It is an interesting problem, since the all over repeated explanation and solution to missing interactions (on the different forums dedicated to The Sims, and other gaming forums) is conflicting mods or bad CC, with crinrict as the most prominent advocator:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/03/bug-social-interactions-are-missing.html

(When it is not caused as a side effect of a corrupted game, by bad management and careless cheating).

But for a unmodded game the objects from Grandma's canning station are reported to cause the same/similar issues.

I think one reason to why it is a little tricky to find things here is the naming of threads and utilizing of the sections and that suggestions are not always confirmed as problemsolving, like in this one:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/950071/trying-to-do-ghost-stuff

where I at least was very curious :smile:

(So I guess I am saying that your thread is exemplary).

I always *try* to use the search function before posting anything. But the search function seems to be nearly useless. However, I was a TS2 SimMaster so I learned how to at least *start* to get a post going when you can't find anything on search. But then, without being able to use the "Advanced" portions of Google, that usually is problematic too. (Which is why I almost always use Advanced for looking for things.)

Fortunately, I was able to fix my problem that I had with the canning station using the mods suggested. (I have no problem using mods. I feel that TS3 is useless without them!)

Thanks for the additional threads!
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited January 2019
    I am glad it was solved, I think I was just conversing a little. (I did not mean to sound as if backbiting mods, just being fascinated by all the reported problems in this game that is one of the more commonly presented answer when reading about it.
    Edit: I mean, that is why the canned goods from Grandma's canning station is such a delightful problem/solution, being weirdly specific and overall reaching affecting the un-/modded games alike. And it is from an EA store mod, small objects in the inventory, and preserved fruit. It just makes me laugh!).
    Post edited by Auroraskies on