Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you like the emotional deaths?

Hi all. I've noticed lately that there have been a few discussions regarding the emotional deaths in the game, and how they can negatively affect gameplay. Sometimes the danger pops up quickly and unexpectedly (like when playing with a toddler) before the player gets a chance to calm their Sim down. Other times it interferes with the flow of gameplay when the player is forced to keep sending their Sim to the mirror to "try to calm down" before they go into the danger zone.

I've personally had to deal with the latter example a few times in my last play session, and my Sim was even on a community lot when she suddenly reached the hysterical level and had to run to the bathroom to get herself in check before she died. She was merely interacting with fans and other famous people at a lounge. Apparently, humorous conversation nearly brought her over the edge.

Now, despite this being an obstacle in normal play, I do like that Vampires can influence Sims' emotions to the point of causing mass death. It's a lovely bit of deviance that exists that I just wouldn't want to be without. I also like the concept of ghosts with emotional auras that can grant moodlets to influence the Sims around them. However, I do feel, at this point, that perhaps Occults should be the exception to cause such deaths (this would mean some tweaking to ghostly powers) and that emotional deaths in normal gameplay should be a very rare, if obsolete, thing.

I saw that @Triplis had some very interesting points on this in another thread here: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/952438/is-the-emotion-bomb-quirk-deadly (second post down) and it had me wondering how many people would prefer to see the emotional deaths turned off, or at least, something that becomes an option that can be toggled on or off.

(Just to note, I am aware that the MC Command mod allows a toggle for this, but there are many players who don't use mods and I'd like to know the general consensus regarding these types of deaths.)

I'm very curious to see what people have to say, so please feel free to discuss below. :)
#Team Occult

Do you like the emotional deaths? 167 votes

I want to see the emotional deaths turned off completely.
7%
icmnfrshGoodywoodWritin_RegKiaraSims4ModsKatiardguezAnthonydyertaydevDevilNDisguiseLatinaBunnySo_MoneyDestin2016BabySquareMirandanik 13 votes
I like the emotional deaths the way they are now.
25%
IcewolfPlayerSinger2010kerryemmiebethcchant86JestTruAjaGioluthienrisingJennyggduhboy2u2jupkmns_stutlermintycupcakeSigzy05EnkiSchmidtMakoSimssaarlandbabe2ImSandsBreazonamusteniFreezerBunnyCowplant 43 votes
I think the emotional deaths just need a little tuning to be circumstantial and/or more difficult for Sims to attain.
20%
Kita5399TiarellaasimbsimStrangerthanTerraKnightsDJQ1308Scarbo27VuloriWndblwzakuheikomatsuFroilkellzaripentogetherMaggieMarleySekrilMiguelDiogoDeKaypoliceofficerswifeCementShepard 34 votes
Emotional deaths should be limited to be caused by Occult/Supernatural states like Vampires, Ghosts, etc. ONLY.
3%
elanorbretonAnmirlaemereAlbaWaterhousePRINCESSReySantanika 6 votes
I would like to see a game toggle for emotional deaths.
31%
Akl500PLaBlue0314jeepjeepcatCabelle1863simduck88AyradysswitchypiesekojranaKirbySkywalkerPinkSugar81ladybreidemluckysunshineyuppphantasmkissSimplyTorifallenangel66Llandros2012dopaminedroidCXonor13metalfenix_Raf 53 votes
Other (Leave comment below)
10%
pookysimsloverTheStarHermitGalacticGalStormkeepsimgirl1010robyngravesBagoas77drake_mccartyalanmichael1ierolovrr31ParmaViolet87DoloresGreycatmando830HermitgirlSaga-MinxCupidNorthDakotaGamerctroi 18 votes

Comments

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I use the MCCC mod to completely turn off emotional deaths. I did this after every single Winterfest holiday I kept losing my sims because of getting hysterical.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I got turned off by the idea of emotional deaths ever since my sim got rejected twice when he proposed and he immediately died of embarrassment both times without a chance to calm down (I reloaded). I'm sure they've tuned things ever since then because this happened close to release, but I'm still not fond of the idea.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    I like them as they are, but I should have read all the options. I'd have no issues if there was a way to turn them on or off. I would just leave them on.

Also, there really is a lot of randomness involved. I had one Sim who was hysterical for almost a full day and was fine. Another Sim (a hothead) was enraged for less than an hour before she died.

I've had more issues with my Sims trying to enjoy their fireplace during a heat wave and nearly killing themselves that way. (Although there actually is a toggle for that.)

Hmm... maybe my Sims just need to keep a cowplant around to quickly drain their emotions if they get too worked up. I'm sure that won't have unforeseen negative consequences. ;)
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    I voted other because I would like to see them tuned, like the 3rd option AND I would like them to be toggleable off. Dying from playful is way too easy right now, which is why it needs to be tuned, but I I also think we should have the option to turn them off entirely if we choose to do so.

Thankfully, MCCC lets me turn them off already...but honestly, I'd prefer to have them on and just not have sims dying left and right from PTHD (Playful Toddler Hysterical Disorder).
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited December 2018
    I don't mind the enraged death too much. It may not be realistic but it's at the very least imaginable. I don't care for the hysterical and mortified ones, the idea is too ridiculous. I'd prefer if those were removed and replaced with more plausible means of death.

Assuming that this won't happen, Hysteria should be tweaked at the very least. My vampire currently gets +13 happiness every night in his house from doing absolutely nothing. Without the Deadened Emotions power he would've been gone a long time ago.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I like the emotional deaths. I find them just annoying enough to make me try not to get my sim too overwrought about anything. :)
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I don't think it serves any purpose in this game. I would rather see the therapist come in like in sims 2. Imagine being so angry that you go crazy and have to be visited by the therapist. I think that would be great.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    They are so hard to achieve. I play from the very beginning, every single day for couple of hours and I had only one emotional death so far. It was from embarassment. I tried so hard to die from anger and hysteria but it is just impossible for me.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    I'd like to be able to tune them a bit, let the user decide how common they are.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I had one emotional death in 4 years, so I don't care.
  • Options
    TheStarHermitTheStarHermit Posts: 280 Member
    I voted other because I've never had an emotional death yet, I play with with aging off and don't intentionally kill off any sim, so deaths are very rare in my game. :smile:
    "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain
  • Options
    Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    I don't have any problems with emotional deaths. The only time any of my sims has been in danger of dying from an emotion is when one of the outcomes from the wishing well makes them hysterical when they wish for happiness. So I guess I don't really care about emotional deaths since to me they are really hard to obtain.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm... Emotional deaths are a tricky subject. I haven't really managed to find a fun way of playing with them.

When I want a sim to die from an emotional death:
    I remember trying to create a playful ghost from scratch. Feed the sim gummibear pancakes and had paintings and kid's TV and another sim tried to tell that one jokes and that sim just.wouldn't. die. It was exhausting trying to kill him. In the end after a loooong loooong painful session I just googled for a cheat. It was a long time ago so it can have been tuned since then. I also tried killing a group of sims with my vampire and I got them laughing like crazy but nosim died. It took forever, in the end I gave up and just built the traditional deathpool. Both me and the poor vampire took a drink after that. Felt like my little Master Vampire should ask to have those fangs removed because she clearly wasn't the big bad I was hoping for.

When I don't want a sim to die from an emotional death
    I don't let my sims hang around in a playful mode because I don't want them to die. Sometimes that gets in the way of having fun with kids or friends but what are you going to do. It has not happened too often so that is not so bad. But I like having fun with kids and friends so it is a bit of a bummer.

I do want there to be interesting deaths in the game. And I like things to be somewhat risky at times and dangerous. Hmm... It is like I cannot be nefarious when I want to, my poor vampire and I worked so hard to kill those sims and it just didn't work. Then when I rotate away from my dear little 🐸🐸🐸🐸 in order to play the regulars then I find playful to be a irritation.

I mod my game so I have risky vampirism and woohoo. I have clubs that at random intervals let hungry vampire attack specific lots if your sim is stupid enough to go there. I like the idea of having deaths that occur at random but I just haven't found the fun in emotional deaths and I cannot pinpoint really how to fix it. Just that it has not been all that fun for me.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I just picked other. The tuning option came the closest but some I want tuned up and some down. If it's too easy to die of hysteria tune it down. If it's not so easy to die of other emotions (which is basically everything else for me) tune it up. Or just keep giving us ways to influence it to happen.
    Thing is I usually want sims to die when I want them too and to escape when I want them too because I plan out the stories some. Although I've got to say I appreciated chaos moments way more often in this iteration than the past ones. I know how to move in a sim and bring them to life again and I know when I'm beat and have to close the game without saving. Which I think has only happened once due to sim death. They just aren't that easy to make happen for me and they happen on their own very, very rarely for me.
    I wouldn't use a toggle... but if they did that it would be fine with me. I wouldn't use a no death option personally. I might use an option where we could click on a sim and make them immune though, or even have some potion or reward trait that does that.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    It takes too much effort to even get my sims to die from an emotional death.
  • Options
    BreazonaBreazona Posts: 1,335 Member
    We need more 'danger' and unpredictability in Sims 4, and emotional deaths can provide that. They aren't my favorite, but at least it's something.
    sims 2&3 my beloved♥
  • Options
    KiaraSims4ModsKiaraSims4Mods Posts: 2,782 Member
    I think having sims die from like being hysterical or embarassment is a joke. I don't mind the Anger because you can have a heart attack.
  • Options
    ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    I have to say 'Other' as I have not had one single emotional death, and I've had the game for about 2 1/2 years. So, I can't comment?

Those of you who are fed up of them...throw them my way please :lol:
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Interesting discussion, thanks for starting it @LiELF

It seems there's way less of a consensus on this than I had the impression of (at least, so far).

To reiterate somewhat what I said in the other thread, I think the most important current drawback for me that it feels like the emotions in question (Playful, Angry, Embarrassed) are almost nonexistent in most of my games, either because I purposefully avoid them to avoid risk of emotional death, or because they are hard to come by and expire easily.

If I had to pick one key area of the three where I believe this deprives gameplay the most, it's in the ability for conflict in relationships to occur. Autonomy for mean socials mostly seems to be tied to the Angry emotion, but if you're playing to avoid death, Angry is something to avoid like the plague. I would guess that this contributes to the perception that some players complain of, of Happy moodlets being run rampant and being too powerful. If Anger was diametrically opposed to it in equal possibility of strength and frequency of application, my guess is that managing relationships and conflict between sims would be much more challenging and engaging.

Granted, none of this gets into some of the great points brought up in this thread about the challenge of avoiding the death type itself, the risk involved, and the idea that that would go missing if the deaths were turned off. I don't know what the answer is to that, but if Angry was made to be death-risk-free and became more focused on relationship tension/risk, I'm confident that I would trade ongoing relationship conflict and management over the "extreme consequence but extremely rare" cloud of game over if I had to choose, at least for that particular emotion.

Variety is important and the game is lacking in risks, but given some people saying they rarely even encounter the emotional deaths (sometimes when trying very hard to get them) it just seems like the system could be done better.

Some people more like to play puppetmaster and others more like to see what happens, and I think a toggle would be a good start toward accounting for that difference in style of play. Even if it was just something like a rewards store trait by sim, as @Hermitgirl suggested; that would probably be the best way to account for differences in style of play, as some people may want one sim exposed to emotional death, but not another, as indicated by some of the responses here.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    I think the emotional deaths just need a little tuning to be circumstantial and/or more difficult for Sims to attain.
    I've finally been driven to using MCCC.

I haven't toggled off the emotional deaths because I may want them some time, but I have had to use MCCC's change-emotion cheat every 5 to 10 real-life minutes to keep several sims from dying of hysteria because they were having such a good time during a holiday, and one of 'em told such a good story that of course several of them nearly died laughing. 'Cuz that happens in real life all the time, doncha know. :/

That's not my idea of fun. The game's mechanics are interrupting and interfering with my gameplay.

And that is TS4 in a nutshell: annoying programming interrupting and interfering with our gameplay.

It ain't a random event when it's happening every 5-10 minutes of MY time. /rolleyes
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    No, they’re ridiculous.
  • Options
    pookysimsloverpookysimslover Posts: 339 Member
    I actually hate them really, because they aren't at all realistic and its too easy to trigger it, especially the getting too playful or whatever!

I just had a Sim die of that a few days ago, I had only been playing her for a few Sim hours, and while I was trying to get her through the positivity challenge, and since the game wasn't allowing me to use the friendly interaction one, I had to use the funny one instead, and so she had to repeatedly say the same funny thing over and over and over again, until she became hysterical and died!

And she was almost done with the challenge too, which made it worst, because then I had to start all over again!

So I say either get rid of them completely or allow us to turn it off, without having to turn death off completely!

But frankly I would like more control with my game beyond that even, like being allowed to turn off vampires and ghosts if we want, because I really find vampires annoying, because they come to my sims house at night, and even when I put garlic all over the outside of their house, the vampires will still hang around for a nearly the same amount of time as they do without the garlic, so it doesn't work too well!

But back to the subject of this post, I find it odd that they say the reason why they didn't allow us to control the Cats and Dogs, was because in real life we can't control them either, but then there are SO many totally unrealistic things in the game, and they use that as an excuse for not allowing us to control the pets?
    To follow me or check out my creations my name is claramj and my avatar is Nikki Cat, she's in my gallery!
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I don’t really mind them, seems easy enough to avoid. Maybe I’m just lucky but I’ve only had it happen (by accident) once when I first started playing.
  • Options
    IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    I like them, they add a bit more danger elements to the game, which I think its currently lacking.

I think I've only had one or two emotional deaths since the release. And it doesn't really bother me if a sim dies, because then I'll just reload the save.

Save and save often, peeps!
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2018
    I never had a problem with emotional deaths ever, as a fact I only had it happen to me once and I laughed it out and moved on with my gameplay as if it was meant to be. I think they are a fun gameplay mechanic that reminds me that I am playing The Sims. Every game had their quirks, emotional deaths are one that is present in TS4. Emotional deaths present a challenge for the player as we are obligated to manipulate the emotion system to keep our sim alive. So yeah, I like them how they are and don't want them changed.

I guess the toddler deal is something that needs to be looked at though, I don't know what moodlets are making your sims hysterical.

Either way it seems hysteria is the main problem here. Although people are quick to jump on the bandwagon of removing things. I can't for the life of me understand why you are targeting the whole emotional death system instead of the moodlets that make sims hysterical. I believe that seems to be the problem, the occurancy of this exact type of emotional death. It's just something that needs to be looked at from the devs part.

TS2 has aspiration failure, death by flies, and so on. TS3 also had a lot of ridiculous deaths, they are just fun quirks that can happen if you aren't careful.

If you knew your sim could get rejected again, why not wait? Why not increase the relationship bar a bit more? It seems like some of these are triggered by making poor gameplay decisions. It happens, you can always not save and load again. Chill.
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1