Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are You Sentimental About Sims' Photography?

So, I didn't know how to use the cameras before, so I just kind of ignored them, but lately, I've been getting into sim photography, both family photos and taking artistic shots of scenery and objects. I never expected to enjoy it as much as I do. I'm surprisingly sentimental about it, as each photo has a memory attached to it (like literally, not just a programmable memory, LOL). Plus, my one sim's apartment is decorated with her (my) artistic photos, so it makes it seem much more like a home.

What does sim photography mean to you? Are you sentimental about it, or is it just another skill? Here are a few of the photos around my sim's apartment:

01c58f_bada2a1b655745608a9b83654854939a~mv2.png

01c58f_cde771de056946a8a2dd3d164613a479~mv2.png

01c58f_3d51d4899eea4f178328e9d230ac32a9~mv2.png

BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com

Comments

• littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    I have a few walls of selfies and stuff. I always try to make sure my sims take pictures of themselves and family so future generations will remember them (to some extent). plus I like looking back over the sim years and how my legacy started. I'm a bit sentimental about it!
    6riwm5.png
  • micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    I have not really used photography much. Looks like I have some experimenting to do. Those photos are so creative and beautiful.
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    @littlemissgogo That is so cool to have your pictures going back generations. I never seem to make it past Gen 3, haha. I keep forgetting to take selfies, but I'm trying to start a collection of small-sized, frameless selfies on the wall by my sim's computer of her and her friends.
    @michelei Thank you so much! I didn't have much luck with the photography studio because it doesn't take close enough pictures for some of the shots I want and also it glitches sometimes and people get stuck just standing there. The most expensive digital camera is the best way to go imo because you aren't stuck with tiny pics and can size them up or down. Just don't forget to take your photos in large format so that they're high enough quality to resize.
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,226 Member
    Oh yes. I've got walls of photography in two households with large families. Used to be three, but when I was building them a new house, I accidentally deleted a room without collecting the pictures first. And since I left build mode before I realized, and didn't feel like closing without saving all that work, most of the pictures are lost.
    image.png
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I have ignored the skill until Get Famous. I figured I'd start taking photos of one of my Lotharios conquests and he's getting pretty good.
    Today I played in a home I downloaded and realized the pictures on the wall were player made... landscapes and still lifes. I was very impressed with how clear and good they looked.
    I plan on pursuing photography at this point with one or more of my sims.

egTcBMc.png
    @SimTresa Oh no! I’m sorry you lost your photos. That’s one of my fears. I was thinking about having some sort of photo warehouse where I just keep copies of everyone’s photos so that doesn’t happen.
    @Hermitgirl LOL — I love the idea of a lothario keeping photos of their conquests. It’s terrible and wonderful all at the same time! 😃
  • kthlnmnstrkthlnmnstr Posts: 7 New Member
    I love the photography skill, but only recently got into it.
    I love to take photos with sims that my sim meets or dates
    and a TON of pictures of the dogs and cats they own too lol :)
  • micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    It is to bad we can not play as a paparazzi. It would be fun to chase celebrities and sell their pictures to gossip magazines.
    @kthlnmnstr Oh I haven't even tried to take pictures of cats and dogs yet. That sounds fun! It's pretty difficult to get good pet pics in real life, and I imagine it's difficult in the sims, too, but would be worth it.
    That is an amazing idea @michelei - hopefully EA adds that in eventually. It would be fun if the paparazzi had the option of being especially sleazy, too, LOL.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited December 2018
    Nope. I always sell ‘em. I should probably have a go at exploring the photography skill more fully in the future, though.
  • IrishSimmer21IrishSimmer21 Posts: 464 Member
    I’ve always forgotten about it but I started using it last night. I’m playing Travis Scott, his wife and daughter and I decided to take pics of them for their walls. I’ll do the same in my other saves now.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    @michelei I was hoping we could be the paparazzi too! That would have been a fun use of the skill.

I started to dabble with the photography skill when I made Little Wolf as my JA adventurer. He was a taking a lot of nature photos in Salvadorada. I haven't rotated to him for a bit and haven't used the skill since.

@QueenofMyshuno those are great artistic style photos!
  • KirbySkywalkerKirbySkywalker Posts: 511 Member
    I was in TS3, but after a while the photos would glitch and turn black or vanish. I was pretty bummed out for a while but ever since then, and carrying on to TS4, I don’t even bother with photos.

But, if the photos actually last in TS4 maybe I’ll get back into it.
  • PastelMermaidPastelMermaid Posts: 1,298 Member
    When I first got parenthood I started a new family to play it to it's full bounds - I wanted and liked taking photos of family members, capturing little moments of them growing up and with certain sims family members (now moved on having their own families) I've done the same (massive "tv" wall in her apartment) filled with captured moments, I find these so super cute.
    tumblr_nvqukkenkr1udwsc5o7_250.gif

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @SimTresa Oh no! I’m sorry you lost your photos. That’s one of my fears. I was thinking about having some sort of photo warehouse where I just keep copies of everyone’s photos so that doesn’t happen.

Would they keep if you uploaded their house to your library or the gallery?

I have only done bits with photography, and generally only pics of sims. I actually started last night to do a few scenery shots with a sim - I play rotationally and like to have different households learning different things. The only trouble with this is that when you rotate away from the photography sim it may be a while before you go back to them.
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,226 Member

I have only done bits with photography, and generally only pics of sims. I actually started last night to do a few scenery shots with a sim - I play rotationally and like to have different households learning different things. The only trouble with this is that when you rotate away from the photography sim it may be a while before you go back to them.

Yes. I've uploaded houses to the gallery with him pictures twice before. I love your idea of different households learning different things.
    image.png
  • PastelMermaidPastelMermaid Posts: 1,298 Member
    SimTresa wrote: »

Yes. I've uploaded houses to the gallery with him pictures twice before. I love your idea of different households learning different things.

I've done this 2 and totally forgotten to take them down or move them - I've also had photos of sims who've moved out stuck in my household and I cant just pluck them off the wall etc (heart-breaking)
    tumblr_nvqukkenkr1udwsc5o7_250.gif

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Not at all sentimental about my sims photography. I think its sort of cool that they can take pictures and I'm glad people who really enjoy it exist. It just isn't something I have much interest in personally.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Laura_JonesLaura_Jones Posts: 485 Member
    edited December 2018
    I haven't dabbled in the actual photography skill yet, even though I've been playing for years... lol
    But I have a third gen family that has a lot of kids and stuff, and when I look through my screenshots folder for my simlit and I see old photos taken by cellphones, I do feel sentimental! It's so cool to see this long history I've had with these people and it makes me happy. :3
  • Laura_JonesLaura_Jones Posts: 485 Member
    also, @OP, your photographs are really great! It makes me want to try it out at some point in the future. :>
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    I like your photos! And I agree it's a fun way to decorate a home. I mostly take family photos though, but occasionally trying to make them a little more lively or odd, to avoid tons of formal poses. Back in TS3 my favorite sim took many pictures on the family's trip to the World Adventure destinations, I think he made them b/wh and they were all over their home - adding so nice memories for this household.

I never maxed out the TS4 photography skill, will it actually open up anything new except perhaps the photos being more valuable for selling? In TS4 I feel that my sims can just buy a good camera and take good photos. They probably get more blurry and gnome infected but with 5 pics per take, there will be plenty of good enough photos with low skills. Maybe that's why I hardly had anyone build the skill (only one sim working as a photographer).
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    I like your idea of taking 'artsy' pictures of things besides people. Usually, I love to hang pictures of family on the walls for my Sims.