Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game is crashing due to lack of memory?

GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
Not sure why I'm suddenly having this issue.The game is crashing, so I ran the crash analyzer and it said max memory.I never had this issue before and haven't installed anything new on this pc.The only game on here is the Sims 3 and the expansions.My other games are on my external hard drive.I also haven't installed anything new to my game.And I ran the update checker on my drives they said I have the latest...

Dxdiag: https://pastebin.com/GG6CiRc8

And when I go into my task manager while the game is running, 89% of it is used, but everything looks like it needs to stay running.

Comments

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    In the Task Manager, how much RAM is TS3 using specifically? If you're seeing percentages, right-click on the memory heading to get numerical values instead. TS3 is 32-bit and therefore can only use 4 GB RAM total, although the ceiling is more like 3.7 GB. If the game goes over 3.5 GB, it's unstable, as a temporary spike (like when saving) can push RAM use over the limit.

One reason you could be seeing crashes for the first time is if you're playing in a more complicated world than before. Large worlds, whether physically enormous or just overpopulated, will demand more RAM than smaller ones, and long-running games need more memory to run than new ones. And of course an unedited IP is unplayable, but then so are some custom worlds.

I don't know whether you play with NRaas mods, but does a MC reset help at all? Do you have ErrorTrap and Overwatch?
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    I do use Nraas, I have Overwatch, SP, Errortrap, and Master Controller.
    Its the same world I've been playing for 3-4 months no.Sims 3 is using 9.9% of the ram at 2,938.9 mb

I gave up on IP that world is just not playable at all LOL
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2018
    Wait a minute, let's try to attack the right problem here if we could . You have 16 GB of RAM and 89% of it is being used? Are you certain that is what you were seeing, and what in the world is that much RAM being used on? Can't be the game, because of the 32-bit restriction it can only use up to around 3.7 GB anyway. That makes for about 23%. So what is the other 66% of the 89, or 10.5 GB in absolute measure, being used on?

I know Win 10 can be a RAM hog, but not typically by THAT much!
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    edited August 2018
    When I get home I'll take a screenshot maybe I'm not reading it right.I'm away from my pic at the moment but it said memory 89 percent.The game itself seems to be only using 10 percen at least that's how I'm reading so I'm not sure where the other 79 percent is.I will get a screenshot when I get back.
    Don't forget that you can sort the entire thing by the RAM column in case that helps.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited August 2018
    EcByqCx.png
    This is what I'm seeing, maybe I'm not reading it right.
    That's fine, although Chrome is using a significant amount of memory on its own. It shouldn't be running alongside of the game if we are trying to pinpoint a resource usage issue.

Your system is not using 89% of its RAM here, it's using 31%. That will increase as your game session moves forward, but not astronomically. Again it can't because of the 32-bit memory restrictions. Does it stay stable in that way as you play the game now?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I think I realized what I was mixing up, I mistook the GPU percentage for the memory, with chrome and the game open the GPU jumps to 70-80% memory is 29%.Yet the game has closed down 3 times now.And it keeps saying max memory...
    edited August 2018
    Then we are back to how much (in absolute, not %s) is the game itself using after you play it for a while but of course before it crashes. It can't be 849 MB as pictured, the game must still have been starting up or the game clock hadn't starting moving forward at that moment.

As you have dual graphics, I would also suggest making sure the game is still using your Nvidia card and not the Intel. And both of them need their graphics drivers updated, from the manufacturer's site (Acer) if possible would be best.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Yeah, I haven't updated them tbh, I thought they were all set cause I occasionally right click on nvidia and click check for updates.
    The game is still using the nvidia.I just double checked.I will go into the game and run it for a bit.
    edited December 2018
    I'm having this issue again, I turned all my settings down.And still get the same message.Sorry to bump my old thread up, but I didn't want to create a new one.

Dxdiag: https://pastebin.com/m3VYveLC

Edit: The game is running on the Nvidia card with my frame rate capped.
    V-sync forced on.Turned down my graphics settings.Still happening.

hI2WYaE.png
    Is what it is currently.But it Fluctuates.It will go from this then randomly spike to 50% then back down to 25%
    Post edited by GraceyManor on
    If your game is crashing due to lack of memory, that's because it's trying to use more than ~3.7 GB RAM at a time. This could still be due to playing in a complicated, well-progressed world, or it could be caused by a long CAS or Edit Town session—both require more memory than regular gameplay. Switching between modes could account for some fluctuation in memory use.

But TS3 itself can't use anywhere near half of the 16 GB RAM you have, so there must be some other app taking up that space. Are you running Chrome while you play, and do you have a few tabs open that might be loading videos or ads? When RAM use does hit 50%, what does the Task Manager report as using all that memory?

I'm not sure it matters, anyway, since the question is why TS3 is crashing. Regardless of what else you have running in the background, the game itself needs to be kept under 3.5 GB RAM at all times, or a temporary spike in memory use could cause a crash. If it's nowhere near 3.5 GB at the point of the crashes, then that's a whole different issue.
    edited December 2018
    Hi @puzzlezaddict
    I'm thinking it may be the world, it's a very landscaped large world.However, its no way near as big as Praaven, which I play in often without crashes.When I took the pic of the task manager, the only thing running was Sims 3 and basic computer required programs.Nope, I wasn't in edit town or cas.I was about to have my sim cook dinner, the game froze and then crashed.Ran the crash analyzer and it said Max Memory used.Then I went to save and got error 12 and crashed.

I'm leaning toward it being the world, though I'm not sure why this world would run worse than Praaven, which is twice as big with multiple areas.

When I play, I do have chrome running, but the only tab open is to the sims forums, so I can upload screenshots.
    Most of my games on this laptop are on an external hard drive.The only game actually installed here is Sims 3.
    Worlds can demand too much memory not only if they're physically large, but if they have large populations, many lots, excessive numbers of items on those lots, etc. They'll also cause RAM spikes if there are routing issues—a sim gets stuck somewhere, and the game engine goes crazy trying to figure out how to fix it. NRaas mods help some, but as EA's version of Isla Paradiso has demonstrated, some worlds are resistant to even the most comprehensive mod interventions.

If you want to find out whether this world is playable at all, you could start a new save and let it run for a couple of days, keeping a close eye on the TM. If you see random spikes or high RAM use overall, then the world itself is probably the issue.
    @puzzlezaddict
    That's the odd thing, with Praaven, I get so many darn stuck sims, yet the world runs fine.(and it has a large population) But with Great Bear it just seems to hate to run.
    This is is actually a new save.I've only had it for a few days.
    I have overwatch running, I don't seem to get many notifications about stuck sims.
    Still, I will try a second new save and see how that goes.
    But the routing issues always confuse me as I go to see what could be the issue and don't see anything wrong.I get
    routing issues in any world I play.
    I don't know anything about Great Bear, but enough other people have mentioned playing in it, you might ask if anyone has has had issues or can offer any tips on how to make it run better. The world might have problems that have nothing to do with stuck sims.

For routing issues specifically, it might help to turn off Overwatch's automatic resets. That way, when you get the notification for a stuck sim, they won't have already been reset to their house. On City Hall, NRaas > Overwatch > Settings > Stuck Check Auto-Reset: False.
    Thanks! Will do.How do I fixed a routing that pops up but doesn't show the sims picture just their name?
    You should still be able to center the camera on the sim by clicking (or right-clicking?) on the thumbnail of the stuck sim, even if it's blank. Or, you could use MC to focus on the sim: click on City Hall, NRaas > MC > Sim > Focus, and pick the sim from the list.
    Its actually not blank, there's no thumbnail, but the focus worked.Thanks! :D
  • Lilypink79Lilypink79 Posts: 115 Member
    I'm not sure if this will help but I disable the online options in my game & the interactive load screen. I have disable all non-Microsoft programs from running in the background & I know to restart my game approximately every 2 hours to avoid it reaching it's 3.7gb limit. I can now notice when my game is becoming unstable as it begins to lag once it reaches 3.5gb. I find having "enable animation smoothing" helps my game play even with all my graphic setting on high and a lot of CC installed (a lot but not nearly enough mind haha)

If your game has been working ok and now crashes, have you recently installed new CC? I recently installed some cc that really messed up my game and caused it to crash after a minute. Luckily I could pin point it quickly and remove it as i'd only installed 3 objects
    You should still be able to center the camera on the sim by clicking (or right-clicking?) on the thumbnail of the stuck sim, even if it's blank. Or, you could use MC to focus on the sim: click on City Hall, NRaas > MC > Sim > Focus, and pick the sim from the list.

Thank you for this! i'd like to know what is causing my sims to get stuck and fix it.
    I've got 99 problems and TS4 glitches are 99 of them
    Lilypink79 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this will help but I disable the online options in my game & the interactive load screen. I have disable all non-Microsoft programs from running in the background & I know to restart my game approximately every 2 hours to avoid it reaching it's 3.7gb limit. I can now notice when my game is becoming unstable as it begins to lag once it reaches 3.5gb. I find having "enable animation smoothing" helps my game play even with all my graphic setting on high and a lot of CC installed (a lot but not nearly enough mind haha)

If your game has been working ok and now crashes, have you recently installed new CC? I recently installed some cc that really messed up my game and caused it to crash after a minute. Luckily I could pin point it quickly and remove it as i'd only installed 3 objects

Thank you for this! i'd like to know what is causing my sims to get stuck and fix it.

I already had all of that disabled.And no I have not installed anything new.
    edited December 2018
    When my game starts lagging, I tab out of it and look and my CPU is at 90% used.:o

Edit: My graphics card updated tonight, now I'm getting extremely low frame rate. 20-21.It was at at 50-60 before.
    Post edited by GraceyManor on
    edited December 2018
    The driver update may have undone all of your custom settings, for both TS3 and your fps limiter. You should also check your deviceconfig to make sure the game isn't now using your integrated card; that would definitely explain the low frame rates.

P.S. With the recent release of Battlefield V, Nvidia is currently rolling out driver updates as quickly as it can manage. You might want to temporarily pass on updating until things settle down, or you'll keep needing to redo your settings each time.
  • Satanu_ReevesSatanu_Reeves Posts: 402 Member
    I can confirm that whenever my graphics driver is updated, my sims 3 game loses all custom settings.
    The driver update may have undone all of your custom settings, for both TS3 and your fps limiter. You should also check your deviceconfig to make sure the game isn't now using your integrated card; that would definitely explain the low frame rates.

P.S. With the recent release of Battlefield V, Nvidia is currently rolling out driver updates as quickly as it can manage. You might want to temporarily pass on updating until things settle down, or you'll keep needing to redo your settings each time.

I managed to roll back to my older one and will hold off on that.Thanks for the tidbit.
    I know think my memory is not the game, but something with my laptop.As I was using chrome, chrome crashed and said not enough memory...

I had checked my FPS and nvidia profile they were all set up right.I think it was the update..I rolled back and my FPS is okay again.