Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hit by lightning

Apparently if your sim gets hit by lightning twice they might get the power to summon lightning (though, of course, they may also die!). I was hoping to try this out, so I had my sim stay outside for a whole thunder storm. There were quite a few lightning strikes which hit near him, but he was never hit. Is there anything that you can do to increase the chance that your sim will be struck?

Comments

• kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    yeah, i've not managed that yet, either. had four sims struck by lightning so far, over the course of two thunderstorms (well, more than that, but only two had anyone struck). three of them were unplayed sims at a restaurant (two staff, one one of my vampires, but his buff had faded by the time i hopped over to play him. 3 hour duration, if i recall. maybe just two. not a lot of time to get struck a second time...). the last was a vampire i was playing and she stayed outside for the whole 16 hours of one thunderstorm. got struck by lightning near the end of it...and loved it (seems erratic sims get a happiness bonus from being hit, on top of the energized buff sims normally get when struck)
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    kalaksed wrote: »
    yeah, i've not managed that yet, either. had four sims struck by lightning so far, over the course of two thunderstorms (well, more than that, but only two had anyone struck). three of them were unplayed sims at a restaurant (two staff, one one of my vampires, but his buff had faded by the time i hopped over to play him. 3 hour duration, if i recall. maybe just two. not a lot of time to get struck a second time...). the last was a vampire i was playing and she stayed outside for the whole 16 hours of one thunderstorm. got struck by lightning near the end of it...and loved it (seems erratic sims get a happiness bonus from being hit, on top of the energized buff sims normally get when struck)
    I see! Thank you. I suppose there’s nothing for it but to keep forcing my poor sims out in thunder storms haha.
  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    I think buying the storm chaser trait helps. My sim had it and if he went outside while it was storming he got struck by lightning. I never allowed him to get hit twice, that seemed like too big of a risk with just the one sim.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,927 Member
    Rae357 wrote: »
    I think buying the storm chaser trait helps. My sim had it and if he went outside while it was storming he got struck by lightning. I never allowed him to get hit twice, that seemed like too big of a risk with just the one sim.

From a random test I did with a stormchaser sim, they survived even though I struck them with lightning with cheats 50 times.
    Though I have to do that test again to be sure if the stormchaser sims really are immune to death by lightning...
    Interesting. Thanks for the tip, I will try it out!
    EgonVM wrote: »

From a random test I did with a stormchaser sim, they survived even though I struck them with lightning with cheats 50 times.
    Though I have to do that test again to be sure if the stormchaser sims really are immune to death by lightning...

Hey, thanks for sharing. Did that sim get the ability to summon lightning?

Yes, she did.
    edited July 2018

Yes, she did.

Awesome, thanks. How long does that ability last - is it permanent, or only temporary?
    edited July 2018

Yes, she did.

Awesome, thanks. How long does that ability last - is it permanent, or only temporary?

It only lasts a day. So temporary.
    And sims cannot use that power to strike another sim. I have tried (and uploaded a video with that try) by having the lightning strike that spot where another sim was standing on. But it struck the ground and the sim was fine.
    Oh, and their eyes will glow blue. It can sometimes scare other players (The Sims 4 as a horror game. :D ).

Yes, she did.

It only lasts a day. So temporary.
    And sims cannot use that power to strike another sim. I have tried (and uploaded a video with that try) by having the lightning strike that spot where another sim was standing on. But it struck the ground and the sim was fine.
    Oh, and their eyes will glow blue. It can sometimes scare other players (The Sims 4 as a horror game. :D ).
    In the end I used cheats to zap my sim twice and it lasted for 12 hours for me. I also found that I couldn’t hit other sims. I think this was a bit of a lost opportunity for EA as I’d have liked the ability to be permanent.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I set a thunderstorm using that machine in Oasis Springs and put a Sim outside. He got struck twice within an hour and died. But other than that, I’ve had Sims go places during a thunderstorm but they haven’t gotten struck.
  • NataliewatalieNataliewatalie Posts: 1 New Member
    I just got sims 4 seasons, within five minutes there was a total of 4 lightning strikes on my sims, and 3 on just one.

She got struck earlier and was fine when she went outside, but after coming back from a rabbit hole event my game was kind of lagging and she got struck twice before going inside and died.

Kinda annoying, it felt like chances of getting struck were higher than they should be, any way to fix this do you think?
  • deutschlehrer90deutschlehrer90 Posts: 13 New Member
    Mine got hit by lightning three times in one sim day span, completely unplanned. You apparently just have to have my character in your game.
  • deutschlehrer90deutschlehrer90 Posts: 13 New Member
    Also, he did not become a lightning witch.
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,609 Member
    Just looked up the cheat for lightening strikes. Looks like I'll be up to some mischief this afternoon! :D
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    A shame the power is only temporary, like what's the point then? It's hard to get a sim struck twice within a time limit to begin with and then the power wears off. Feels like there is no use in even trying to get it :(
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2018
    I miss how in TS2 and TS3 getting hit by lighting once or twice would just kill your sim. Why do they have to make TS4 so easy?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I miss how in TS2 and TS3 getting hit by lighting once or twice would just kill your sim. Why do they have to make TS4 so easy?
    @Sigzy05 If a sim gets hit by lightning twice they will either die or get temporary powers to summon lightning, so there’s still a chance of death if hit by lightning twice. I get what you’re saying, though. I might prefer it if being hit by lightning only once would either kill you or give you lightning powers.
  • FriggsGamingFriggsGaming Posts: 1 New Member
    When they get struck by lightning twice and get the ability to summon lightning, how long does the ability then last?
    When they get struck by lightning twice and get the ability to summon lightning, how long does the ability then last?

A day. However, you do have to be careful as sims can die by getting struck by lightning before getting this power. My advice is to first get the storm chaser trait (it makes your sim immune to this death and more likely to get struck) and then try to get this power.
  • BertjeBagginsBertjeBaggins Posts: 1 New Member
    I've recently had the storm chaser trait on my sim and he got struck 5 times (seriously) in one storm. He's eyes are now glowing and can let lightning strike any place. Pretty 🐸🐸🐸🐸 cool if you always wanted to play with Thor
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Your sim is so lucky, BertjeBaggins. I kept trying to get my Xmen Storm to get the lightning powers but she never seems to get them.
  • Ayymiix33Ayymiix33 Posts: 1 New Member
    > @MaggieMarley said:
    > Apparently if your sim gets hit by lightning twice they might get the power to summon lightning (though, of course, they may also die!). I was hoping to try this out, so I had my sim stay outside for a whole thunder storm. There were quite a few lightning strikes which hit near him, but he was never hit. Is there anything that you can do to increase the chance that your sim will be struck?

My sim was struck twice and was holding an umbrella both times. I’m going to see if he has any super powers now lol
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    This is my Erik Cantrell, Global Superstar, who got struck by lightning. So, he used the picture for his new album. Unless you have a mod for it, I don't believe our Sims can die being struck twice. Certainly, I haven't experienced it.

1eKei4y.jpg
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/