Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you keep yourself playing?

I've played the sims since TS1. I'm really wanting to get back into playing, how do you keep yourself from getting bored? It's like I'll play an hour and get bored, I have most of the expansion packs.

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Are you currently playing Sims 4 or Sims 3? (that matters to my response ;))

As for Sims 3: I just don't get bored, there's always something new to do somehow. A career, a hobby, travelling and the numerous spontanteous things that happen in the game that I can either follow or leave. I also love playing generations in this game. Raising the kids and when they're old enough continue with the life of one of them. New house, university, new career, new world sometimes, new people to meet.

Another thing that you could pick up (I never have but it's popular) are the numerous challenges there are to play out. Others have to help you there though ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited December 2018
    A coffee iv drip. And sleep several hours a week.

edit: oh, I think I misunderstood the question. I keep myself interested by doing challenges. Either a challenge someone else has written, one that I've written for myself, or I decide on a goal to pursue in the game and then just go with the flow.

For example of a challenge I enjoyed playing last year see this thread. For a challenge I've written see my blog here. In my current game I decided to finally play a sim in the lifeguard career to unlock one of the islands in Isla Paradiso. So I chose a sim in IP and started making some money as a self-employed scuba diver while working on his athletic and charisma skills. Then he got married to a mermaid and they both wanted a kid. It was winter, bad time to be a lifeguard, so I thought why not? The game gave them triplets and then both parents wanted another baby. Shortly after they had a 4th kid. The kids are now all teens, currently in university with their steadies, the family has made a fortune in consigning scuba diving treasures and shark teeth, now owns all 3 resorts and a bunch of venues, my sim has unlocked all the other islands and is finally ready to start his lifeguard career 2 sim-years after I started playing. Well, as soon as winter is over because being a lifeguard on a snowy beach doesn't sound like fun. From the goal of playing the lifeguard career to unlock an island leading to a houseboat full of kids and owning property all over the islands....play just sort of evolves.
    Post edited by TreyNutz on
  • AbubakrAbubakr Posts: 476 Member
    Morgie19 wrote: »
    I've played the sims since TS1. I'm really wanting to get back into playing, how do you keep yourself from getting bored? It's like I'll play an hour and get bored, I have most of the expansion packs.

I find sometimes one can bury oneself in CAS or Town Edit. Spend some time just creating new Sims and design some custom clothes. Destroy all the houses and build new ones. I find Editing very therapeutic. Hope this helps
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I don't get bored. I have several sim families in several saves and I rotate between them. I try to keep new and engaging things going on with the story lines, not just work and babies, although, I love that part of the sims too and my sims do have large families.
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    In general (and that is also true in real life) when you have a target you don't get bored.
    In game the target can any challenge (there are many ideas online including this forum).
    You can also set your own target like miximizing a sim's skills, or other ambitions, you can play with genetics through generations.
    Sometimes I like to think of myself as the mayor of the town I chose to play- so I like to control the careers and demographics (wedding / births) of the town, by setting goals.
    I also like to consider myself as a sope-opera writer in regards to the game stories, there is always something new, a twist.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I change households and play out different scenarios.

I change out which Expansions I am using.

I play with my sister riding shot-gun once a week, and encourage her input.

I take inspiration from other entertainment and spin off new scenarios from it (watching "Happy as Lazzaro", I am inspired to play a poor family in Monte Vista, for instance).

Take breaks from the game to keep it fresh.
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I never get bored and my play style has changed very little over the years. My main focus has always been seeing how the genetics pan out over generations in the main household and town (which I usually populate myself). Lately I have been adding new content (I own all EPs but have yet to try them) and will play with new features for a bit but always go back to my usual generational genetics style.

It's okay to lose interest in a game. Life is like that. Friends come and go, interests change. If you are not feeling it, find something else.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    You're still playing TS1? O.O

I wish I could play past the camera controls. I've never felt like I finished TS1. :)

I still play challenges in TS2 and Try to write them up but I'm not a storyteller. :cookie:

I love CAW for TS3. I can loose hours in there when I have time. :)

TS4... well, I can't help you there. I don't last 20 minutes in that game. :(
  • BreazonaBreazona Posts: 1,335 Member
    I usually just don't get bored in Sims 3, but if I do I know things must be too mundane. Throw in some drama, have another kid, get a new hobby, choose a new career, pursue a new relationship. Basically, just spice things up in some way.
    It could also be that you need to find something that better suits your playstyle? Try building and decorating, CAS, challenges, CAW, storytelling. Some people like to play with only one sim and never age them, and others have 20 generations of one family.
    sims 2&3 my beloved♥
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    I have multiple saves with different families and change them, when I get bored with one of them.
    Attempting challenges can help, even if you bend the rules or write your own.
    Doing something with your sims you would never do in RL is quite interesting.
    Breaking out of your habitual play style can help, like, if you only play single sims, try a family with six kids and some pets.
    Give your sims traits you never use and let them run around on free will.
    Try careers, go on holiday and let your sims explore the tombs.

And if you don´t feel like playing, just don´t try. Nothing wrong with taking a break and doing something else. It´s supposed to be fun! :)
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I have too many Sims to tae care of and some of them still do not have names!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    I'm still playing Sims 3 (don't play 4). The reason I am still playing Sims 3 is because of the open world and create-a-style and the ability to edit the town. Those three allow me to continue on and on. I have redone Sunset Valley to a Supernatural World and a Futuristic one and redoing a world for me takes lots of time. Then I put my families in. Always the same families that I am familiar with. All skilled up, they can do and be anything.

Right now I am redoing Lunar Lakes, a small world I always wanted to get into but never did. I'm using buildings from ITF and some LL buildings. Have the world done and now working on my families. I'm good for another couple months at least.

Then I'll move on to I think, Dragon Valley and do a fairy/dragon slayer world.

There's always something in Sims 3. (I could even do this to a point (no create-a-style) with Sims 2).

• CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Write stories, you'll NEVER be bored, I have 4 unfinished stories and am overwhelmed... :s
  • whimreaperwhimreaper Posts: 361 Member
    I find it hard to keep playing sometimes, too. Sometimes I'll find a short challenge to try or I'll dedicate my sim to meeting everyone around. It creates an interesting dynamic and plenty of story options. I also love rebuilding worlds to fit a new theme (like a farming town or hollywood star neighbourhood). Mostly, coming up with a new background to play in really shakes things up! Hope this helps!
  • AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    edited December 2018
    I’ve been there. Got bored of the game and was near to quitting permanently but as a last ditch effort I tried playing with supernaturals. Surprised me how fun they are :)

So there’s my advice. Lol. That, and try out all the different professions from Ambitions and the life guard career from IP. Right now I’m attempting to make a bakery and have an Open for Business thing going for my game.
    tumblr_pikphriUGr1xq9hdmo6_540.jpg

tumblr_pj3boyk0611xq9hdmo8_540.jpg

tumblr_pikckyR0Cb1xq9hdmo3_540.jpg
    I’m excited to try it out. Doing things like giving your sims their own orchard and make a farm, or collecting all the collectible type items or having a tomb raiding sim are all really fun things to do! Personally I’m in the country and farm mood in my game right now so I’m making all types of stuff along that theme :p
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2018
    A tip by the way: try to avoid having sims fall in love and get kids too soon, because I think that can be a grind quite fast. It seems so nice, starting a family (and it is), but at the same time the gameplay is always the same. And besides, nothing so enjoyable as complicated love affairs before they go down the aisle :mrgreen: There are a million things to do in this game and kids just often stand in the way of that. Just like in real life really o:)

(ETA: corrected a sentence where I stated I seem nice, while I meant to say it seems nice :grin: )
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    In the last few years, I've been doing challenges. Trying new things out of my normal play style helps to keep things fresh. If you use mods, the modding community for TS3 is still active. My game wouldn't be as interesting without mods. Occasionally I blog about my sims on tumblr. Being a part of a community for this game gives me inspiration. Most importantly... I take simming breaks when I feel burned-out. There are other games I enjoy so I take breaks to play those games instead. When I come back to sims, its refreshing and I get excited about sims all over again. Those are my tips thrown together. :)

What a cool thread this is. It's always fun seeing how others play their games.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • MamaSimTeeMamaSimTee Posts: 963 Member
    I take breaks when I need to (or want to). I give myself mini goals. There is so much in SIMS 3 that I still have yet to discover and I've been playing for a long time.

There's a thread talking about quick challenges, you might want to look into that to do something when you feel like you don't want to give the time to longer gameplay right now.
    <insert inspiring comment here> :)
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    I have plenty to do with my games. I actually have added so much CC to my game now that I have broken it up between different saves and that has meant a different Sims 3 folder for each set of games depending on the CC I want to use.

A few years ago I found I was doing the same things and decided to read requirements for different badges. I found out lots more about the game by doing the badges.

Now I make videos and each video series has different sims doing different things. Watching some of my videos might give you some new ideas. Or just look at the badges that are available to you.

This is part of the link to the badges

https://mypage.thesims3.com/badges

You need to be logged in to your own mypage on the Sims 3 site to access them.

Another possibility is to take a break for a while. It isn't compulsory to play the game if it isn't fun for you.

I found adding NRAAS mods to my game has helped a lot as they fix a lot of the game breaking bugs and additional mods add extra fun to the game.

Happy Simming
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've been playing my game heavily Modded for at least a few years now and I'm playing rotationally like it's TS2 only in the TS3 open world with the NRaas version of story progression heavily tuned and configured to run like the story progression in Sims 2.I also added awesomemod to disable the gltichy autmated school assignments for my legacies because most of them are historcal and having everybody autmatically attending school just isn't realistic.I'm currently playing an apocalypse challenge in Sunset Valley2 and loving it as well as my Evermore Falls legacy challenge and Storybook County 100 baby challenge in the 1550's.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Macaire13Macaire13 Posts: 39 Member
    I always find myself wandering over to the challenges and legacies. I also have a goal of super maxing every skill and every career in the game. There's plenty idea threads around the forum, you just have to find what you like to do in a game as huge as The Sims. Just don't force it. I play whenever I want to play and whichever file I want to play. If I don't feel like playing, then I don't. A lot of people force themselves to continue a challenge they no longer want to do and they burn out.
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    I try to make my sims games relate to something that I like in real life or that I find funny. Right now, there is snow outside and it will be Christmas soon. I really enjoy seasons and winter...

I'm looking for an apartment so I might recreate some of the crazy ones I visited as a sort of therapy.

I hate my current landlords so I made on paper a version of them with bad traits. I'd like to give them virtual crazy tenants to replace me. And make their apartment breakable, just like in real life.

When I get a new appart, I might use the Sims to figure out how to fit my stuff in it.

I find that planning concepts on paper for the game fitting your needs and wants rather than the game imposing its gameplay on you is fulfilling.
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    I could say I don't necessarily keep myself playing TS3 but it's the other way around. Isn't that how a video game that is supposed to entertain work?

I feel if one has to ask how to not be bored with any game then maybe that game is not for them. I'm not sure what's the point in forcing yourself to be entertained when you are not. Though, I see the possibilities of having overlooked different perspectives which you might want to try. The whole point in the question, obviously. But I'm just saying beyond that if you are still not enjoying the game then why waste time playing a game you don't really care for.

===

To be a bit more in-depth about how I am not bored.

The most advanced and in-depth A.I., I think, of any Sims game to date.
    -Sims are fascinating to observe and often surprises me over and over again just how realistic they imitate human behavior and emotions
    -Each Sim truly has their own personality beyond traits even if I gave two Sims the same exact traits and skills they still differ
    -Sims have the ability to learn and grow or not if they are stubborn like that
    -Sims are more than capable of creating their own drama without any intervention
    -I find it interesting how Sims can develop their own personal motive(s)

The open world
    -No interruptions from loading screens
    -Makes gameplay more immersive because I can switch between Sims at any time flawlessly and get a lot done
    -Exploring is always fun
    -Seasons and weather is the best I've ever witnessed in any Sims game
    -The open world makes everything look better and feel like an actual life simulator

CASt
    -The most creative freedom to style how I want

Generations
    -It's always been exciting for me to grow families and see their descendants

Etc.

Overall directing Sims through life have always been interesting to me from 2000-2013.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    The great thing with TS3 is there is so much to do. Even after playing the game since 2009 I haven't explored everything. I keep a list of the things I still want to do. Not on,ly is there a lot of content but the variety means there should be something to appeal to everyone. You might find it useful to look at a few Let's Plays on YouTube and then decide what you would like to try first. For example now I have a fix for IP I really want to explore the world and do some building g there. I would also say don't forget the creative tools that are available. Both CAW and CAP are worth trying. Others enjoy taking screenshots of the scenery. There is a thread here dedicated to just that. Sorry I can't link right now.

Personal favourites are Supernatural and University. I know other players get a lot of fun playing with Pets.

I hope you find something which will draw you in to this wonderful game so you lose track of time because you are having so much fun :)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Smiley_CatSmiley_Cat Posts: 33 Member
    I look at challenges and I find that keeps me entertained. I also like to think I have a story line within my head and hope my sim or sims follow through. I do get bored when they are sleeping or taking forever to reach their skill level but I normally just browse the web on my phone while they are sleeping or gaining skills.