Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you prefer Alpha or Maxis Match CC? (Or a combo)?

Just curious as to what kind of CC you prefer (if any at all)
I have a YouTube Channel dedicated to Sims 4! You can find it here if you are so inclined!

www.youtube.com/c/LadySweettart

Do you prefer Alpha or Maxis Match CC? (Or a combo)? 255 votes

Alpha
6%
mcorralBagoas77glory_joyBabykittyjadefullspiralMissmagoo2catitude5shnailehbritpopsimsPninaSimmerpeytiejaydeEnjoyfulSimmerSweaterKatCassieb95AleluVeeDubSpoiledMilk 17 votes
Maxis Match
63%
Akl500PKolbyOneAdorkableGirlicmnfrshwinkeljohn78Kita5399IcewolfLaBlue0314NighteyesIceyJHowGreatThouArtBreeNillaVibseSimpatsyannTheSpotted_CIsb917CorkysPetalsasimbsimMeteoraStormStrangerthan 161 votes
A Combination of Both
20%
CK213bandit5CrazyboutTheSimsgettpsStormkeepjoelygirlsims2Paigeisin5SuniroseSchantalAncientMusePinkSugar81Heavensent2010Gemmie12AverageLulu4MaaretWinifred_Willowsilver_songbirdBigCatlover26CurePrincesswendelyne 51 votes
I Don't Use CC
10%
GoldmoldarPlayerSinger2010mcruddDJNSIrdiwenVuloriLizzychicago06Bon06spice3iliekponiezZeldaboy180SweetieWright_84AlbaWaterhouseSavvySimmieSheriSim57MDianaSimsRedShoe7AbraKadabramikafilipomel 26 votes

Comments

• ladysweettartladysweettart Posts: 239 Member
    A Combination of Both
    For me I like Maxis Match hairs, Alpha makeup, and both types of clothing.

I don't like any "replacement" things (eyes, skin overlays, etc). To me it makes sims look too different from how they're supposed to look and I don't like that
    I have a YouTube Channel dedicated to Sims 4! You can find it here if you are so inclined!

• CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I think they're both fine for different things, but I would never use a combination at the same time.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    Maxis Match
    Just Maxis Match for me.
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    A Combination of Both
    Generally stick to Maxis match, but like @ladysweettart, have some alpha makeup and clothing. Jeans, in particular for the clothing...really hate how most of the Maxis jeans don't even look a little like denim. Strongly lean toward Maxis match though, like for 99% of what cc I use.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Alpha
    I generally prefer the alpha hairs. I think some of them are done really well. I'm kind of particular about the style I use though.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Maxis Match
    Clean colorful cartoony aesthetic only for me.
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    Maxis Match
    Alpha doesn't match the game's style and looks out of place to me, although I have used alpha clothes before. A lot of alpha hair looks the same to me. The most alpha hair I've used are by Ebonix which is kind of a mix of both. Plus Maxis match is better for my computer and much of it looks bad on lower graphics settings and the hairs can be orange in laptop mode
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    Maxis Match
    Maxis match.

Wayyyy back in the day I use to use alpha then I just realized how awful the majority of it was along with most CC creators not attempting to reduce the poly count. 24k to 80k hairs like what???

Too taxing on my computer and just played vanilla for the most part. Alpha just looks odd for this game less you replace everything. Some of it does look really beautiful for creators (usually the same ones that are consistent) that put a lot of effort into their CC. Makeup and shoes seem to work well with both styles as it falls inbetween.

But nowadays majority of it has no texture and there is a lot of photo skinning. That or previewbpics are just heavily edited and they look nothing like they do in game :#
    5vJrxmT.png
  • ladysweettartladysweettart Posts: 239 Member
    edited December 2018
    A Combination of Both
    The biggest reason I only use MM hairs is because Alpha hair messes with the genetics, so if you are planning on having children in your game, the genetics for their hair color is going to be messed up if the parents have Alpha hair. I actually really loved Alpha hairs in the Sims 3, and used it almost exclusively, but in that game the hair color genetics remained the same whether it was an Alpha hair or MM. Plus I agree that Alpha style fit in better in Sims 3. The other issue is like LadyKyn said, a lot of Alpha CC doesn't look the same in-game as it does in preview photos, I honestly think most of it ends up having a really cheapish look to it in-game, like it ends up looking like a bad wig or something. But I love the subtlety of Alpha makeup (it's not all overly pigmented like most MM makeup is), and as Stormkeep said, some of the clothing textures look better in Alpha.

• BigCatlover26BigCatlover26 Posts: 215 Member
    edited December 2018
    A Combination of Both
    I used to be maxis match, then alpha, then right back to maxis match, to know with alpha. I love maxis match because it matches the game. Howver, when it comes to diverse hair, clothing types and design I just see the same stuff over and over again. For the hairs in maxis match there are just so many of the same type of hairs done over and over again. Alpha brings a huge variety(for girls). Now, for the boys there is really not that good of alpha cc for them. For urban sims there are a pretty good amount but for Caucasians, Mexicans, etc there isn’t a good variety of alpha cc. But in maxis match it’s pretty good variety for boys.

Since I got my gaming computer I can now use alpha without it really being that taxing on my computer. I don’t think I will go back but knowing me I am very inconsistent with my choices and go through phases with my cc so I change a lot.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    Maxis Match
    The only Alpha CC I use is eyelashes. Pretty sure that's alpha? :/
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Maxis Match
    I don’t like to force an aesthetic that doesn’t fit with the worlds the sims inhabit. If I were to go for a more “realistic” look I’d want the buildings and landscapes to match - which they won’t.
  • FireftrLtFireftrLt Posts: 54 Member
    What is Maxis Match and Alpha?
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I Don't Use CC
    I honestly think a lot of CC looks awful, so I don't use it.
  • HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member
    Maxis Match
    For me I like Maxis Match hairs, Alpha makeup, and both types of clothing.

I don't like any "replacement" things (eyes, skin overlays, etc). To me it makes sims look too different from how they're supposed to look and I don't like that

Ironically I like default skin and eyes because then all Sims have that same "look" and not just the few that you've intentionally changed. There's nothing more jarring to me than a Sim fully decked out in CC standing next to a game generated townie with absolutely no CC. :D

I have majorly cut down on CC though since the beginning.
    aSE16f8.gif
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    A Combination of Both
    The patch that made all my CC hair blonde made me consider getting rid of it all.
    Now that I've thought about it, I will probably stay with clay. :D
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • akuheikomatsuakuheikomatsu Posts: 79 Member
    Maxis Match
    Mostly Maxis Match. I find that Alpha sticks out too much. Plus I got fed up with trying to makeover all the NPCs.

There are technically a few items I use that would be considered Alpha: tattoos, piercings, glasses, and shoes. I haven't been able to part with those.
  • PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    Alpha
    Generally alpha but I wouldn't be opposed if I saw some MM I liked.
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,819 Member
    A Combination of Both
    I like a nice mix from hair to clothes, I may use defaults from time to time whatever I'm in the mood for though I may regularly get rid of it all and go vanilla at random to get control of my collection.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    Maxis Match
    I don't use CC, but I have a very strong preference towards Maxis Match and I've used some in the past.
  • simwolfsimwolf Posts: 323 Member
    A Combination of Both
    I have some saves that are entirely alpha CC, some that are Maxis Match CC only and some that are CC free. For me the changed look helps to separate my games from each other and allows me to play around with all the styles.
    The Simwolf - happily simming since 2000
    My Sims, Saves and Challenges

Gallery: simwolf79 Twitter: @SimwolfSims
  • peytiejaydepeytiejayde Posts: 10 New Member
    Alpha
    Alpha is my favourite
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Maxis Match
    I normally prefer a more realistic look, but I prioritize uniformity. I still use a lot of Maxis stuff, so alpha would look really out of place.

Also, some alpha CC go in the other direction and look too shiny or plastic doll-like for my taste
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • KalopsianDreamerKalopsianDreamer Posts: 183 Member
    Maxis Match
    I enjoy Maxis in most cases, though I have a few items that are Maxis with a bit of an alpha thrown in which is okay too, but I'd never go for anything full alpha as I don't like the fact it'd look out of place. If I were to transfer to all alpha, I wouldn't be happy unless I made over every sim, at least.
    ĆØΜ€ ŦØ ŦĦ€ ĆŘΔŦ€Ř - ΜØŦĦ€Ř ĆΔŁŁŞ ¥ØỮ ĦØΜ€
  • ohSnapohSnap Posts: 66 Member
    Maxis Match
    I like my CC to blend in with everything else in the game, so MM it is. Although I'm thinking of getting rid of my CC altogether and going vanilla. I just get fed up of having naked, bald sims and missing objects every time I update...