The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

You can now read written books at the microphones!

alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
I had my one sim Shay tag along with a couple of her teenage grandkids to a talent show at the one bar. I was delighted when I realized you could now read your written book at the microphone for the talent night! I forgot that she had even written this book about flower arranging so it was an amazingly organic moment of storytelling with the game. Her granddaughter Topanga was the main reason she was going there because she's a rising actress. This made me picture the older woman, who just had twins late in life, as wanting to shine a bit too. What was funny, and I think it's because Topanga has the new self-absorbed trait, is that Topanga started playing the violin right next to her reading grandma as to get the spotlight back on her! Needless to say I had some genuine Sims fun at that talent night. I absolutely LOVE Get Famous! What a surprise of a pack!
Post edited by alan650111 on

Comments

• LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Really? That's pretty cool didn't even know that I'll have to give that a try with my writer sim.

That's definitely a nice little touch. Might try putting a mic at a library to see how that goes can see a sim reading a book/narrating a book talking to kids. The talent show night is pretty fun. Even though there's no prizes sims get pretty active, which makes the lounge far more interesting than it use to be, since I replaced the majority of them except for one I downloaded from the gallery.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    That's a nice touch.
    I just tried having my comedian read her book she wrote on comedy in my cybercafe, but people most people ignored her.
    I think I will have some sims write poetry books and have them read them at the talent events. I will try libraries. We certainly need more things to do there and there should be less distractions.

Everyone at the cafe were more interested in celebrities, coffee, and scones.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Ooh kind of like a Poetry Slam (I’ve never been to one tho)! How lovely 💙
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    Tonight, I had Salim Benali read a book on the microphone at a talent show. He was booed mercilessly by everyone there.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I love that this can be done. Thanks for reporting it also :).. it's fun to run across it but it's also great to know. Time to get my sim to a talent show night.
    egTcBMc.png
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    I noticed this but wasn't sure if it was new as I thought it was sims reading poetry which I never have my sims write lol
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    That's so cool!

Adding onto what @CK213 said....

You could maybe do a meet and greet at a library for a reading of your Sim's new book and a 'book signing' :smiley:
    giphy.gif
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    That's so cool!

Adding onto what @CK213 said....

You could maybe do a meet and greet at a library for a reading of your Sim's new book and a 'book signing' :smiley:

That would be awesome if we could do book signings! I was thinking about that when they said all careers lead to fame.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,467 Member
    My Rising Star singer asked the Proper Star for her autograph, then a picture, then they chatted for a bit. Later, when he grabbed up the guitar and began singing, she watched and pumped her arm in excitement. I thought that was cool and really decent of her. Generally, the major stars suck up all the attention/oxygen in the room, so this surprised and pleased me, that she gave him his due.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Whoaaa. Must play my authors more!!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    edited November 2018
    @alan650111
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
    I experimented with it and now have something I think I will enjoy in my game-play.

I posted this in my Get Famous Moments and thread and I am copying it here.

I experimented in the Library with mixed results.
    11-26-18_12-54-55nbspPM.jpg

So I decided to go to a smaller venue with a dedicated club, lead by Melonie--Windenburg's South Square Coffee cafe.
    11-27-18_8-34-37nbspAM.jpg

Her group is called Bloom's ARC Readers.
    11-27-18_8-13-11nbspAM.jpg

Writer's have alpha and beta readers.
    These are trusted people who get first exposure to their written works for feedback.
    11-27-18_8-13-25nbspAM.jpg

They also have a group called ARC Readers (Advanced Review Copies).
    As defined: "The expectation of an ARC reader is only to read the book and write a review to post (probably at least to Amazon, possibly Goodreads or other sites) shortly after publication."
    11-27-18_8-17-28nbspAM.jpg

The cafe is their hangout with this private room available.
    Unfortunately the members are more interested in snacks and coffee than Melonie's book.
    11-27-18_8-18-26nbspAM.jpg

So, I also put a microphone out where they prefer to hangout.
    11-27-18_8-20-11nbspAM.jpg

Now this is more like it.
    11-27-18_8-20-49nbspAM.jpg

Since Melonie is a comedian, and her book is about comedy, I had her perform a few comedy routines as well.
    This brings in more sims visiting the cafe, and I believe Melonie got paid 55 Simoleons and also earned some fame.
    11-27-18_8-31-26nbspAM.jpg

Now is the time to pose for pictures.
    11-27-18_8-32-57nbspAM.jpg

11-27-18_8-33-16nbspAM.jpg

Alright, I am loving this.
    This is now a thing in my game.
    11-27-18_8-34-00nbspAM.jpg

It occurred to me, after she left, that I should have copies of her books to give to members of her ARC group.
    11-27-18_8-37-40nbspAM.jpg

So there you have it.
    -An ARC members group meeting.
    -A hangout to have a reading.
    -Comedy routine performances
    -Posing for pictures.
    -Giving (gifting) ARC members copies of the book.
    -Plus all the benefits you can earn from having a Club.
    11-27-18_8-38-52nbspAM.jpg

That's a nice activity to have every time a new book is written, before it is officially published.
    You can make copies of the book, for those that don't know. Just take it out of the inventory and click on it to make copies.
    Do this before you publish, or you will lose the book.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    That's some smart club use @CK213 !
    FYI "ARC" goes back way before online reviews. They go to traditional book reviewers too, for newspaper reviews, and also to bookstores that handsell books.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    FYI "ARC" goes back way before online reviews. They go to traditional book reviewers too, for newspaper reviews, and also to bookstores that handsell books.

I really like how features combine in this game.
    Unfortunately Melonie's book reading isn't appreciated sometimes. The crowd gets ugly when she first starts.
    I hope this is because of her writing skill and not because sims don't like book recitals. She's level 5 right now.
    I alternate between book reading and performing comedy routines.

Thanks for the extra info.
    CK213 wrote: »

I really like how features combine in this game.
    Unfortunately Melonie's book reading isn't appreciated sometimes. The crowd gets ugly when she first starts.
    I hope this is because of her writing skill and not because sims don't like book recitals. She's level 5 right now.
    I alternate between book reading and performing comedy routines.

Thanks for the extra info.

Ugly crowds at book readings :D