Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question about coding in Graphic Rules?

INDIABOLINDIABOL Posts: 39 Member
Update on showtime items missing: Uninstalling did help. Thank you for suggesting.

For starters, thank you all for the help in the past. :)

I'm not sure how to title this post so I'll get on with it. I wanted to try out the HQ mod since my computer should be capable of handling it, right? I do have the saved graphics card on my desktop just in case it doesn't work out.

Anyways, when I place it into my game, my settings went back to the original state -- unrecognized. I have the original copy but no matter how many times I look at it, I don't really understand what I'm looking at so that I can copy and place that into the GRAPHICRULES (HQ MOD VERSION).

Also @igazor ? I took the graphics card from this site and was using this way before as well.

http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=0nqjs4lm976hjtuvbeid7ufs64&topic=28605.msg467065#msg467065

One more thing is that I hang around the forums sometimes but after trying to get this HQ mod set up, I made myself paranoid by thinking that my graphics may not be right, but I'm not for sure. I've read how you helped with graphics card before and thought I'd ask you.

So, I guess what I'm really asking is if what I'm using is accurate as I'd really like to know how I can recreate the same coding for the HQ mod which also doesn't automatically recognize the system, and also how to code this (the regular graphics card file) for future use.

Thanks.

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Afraid I'm kind of out my element here. Leaving HQ mods aside, it doesn't really matter which method is used to force graphics card recognition. All formal recognition does is provide a suitable set of defaults for a card otherwise unrecognized by the game, causes the video memory to be ranked properly so the game doesn't try to throttle certain things like sending sims out to community lots when it incorrectly thinks the current card cannot handle the stress, and it gets rid of the unnecessary texture memory override.

But I don't use nor do I recommend the method that Carl's site does. There is always a much easier way to accomplish the formal recognition.

More to the point, I've never used an HQ mod and have no idea why having one in play would change the way in which the sgr files are read and applied. Perhaps others here, or even better at ModTheSims (MTS), would be better suited to assist with that.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • INDIABOLINDIABOL Posts: 39 Member
    edited November 2018
    Okay, thank you for clearing that up. I will check over at the modthesims for more questions on the HQ mod.

Aside from the HQ mod, if it's not too much, do you mind showing me how to set up the graphics card for my laptop? I am curious since I also play the Sims medieval and went through a lot to get that fixed but gave up on that.

edited November 2018
    EDIT: Oh, I may have misunderstood. If so, please disregard what I said above. Assuming that any method is fine, the file from the site that I currently have now in my game should be fine. I apologize for the misunderstanding. I also posted on the modthesims site for help regarding the HQ mod. :)

I'll check Modthesims regarding the HQ mod, and the Sims medieval runs okay when I manually put the settings up, so everything's okay? I assumed I was pushing my games, and it made me paranoid that it was hurting the card.

Now, this last issue happened a couple of weeks ago, but it didn't come across as major. My game still runs fine, so it didn't bother me. Though, a second opinion wouldn't hurt?

I launched the game and Nvidia experience had a driver update at the same time. This is my first time ever having a dedicated graphics card, or a nvidia card at all, and didn't understand what the update was as the name isn't graphics driver update, but instead game ready driver. Again, I wasn't sure.

Well, I realized it was a graphics card update last minute and immediately quit my game. Now, my lots seem to be "highlighted" (the lot is bright?) which I didn't notice before. It doesn't seem to be the case in my other save though.

It could be nothing, but while this discussion is open thought I'd ask.
    Post edited by INDIABOL on
    Right, the reason that I don't recommend the Carl's site method is that it's overly complicated and prone to user error. Not that it doesn't work as well as doing it a simpler way once the card actually is reported as recognized.

Whenever the graphics card drivers are updated, ALL of the game options will reset. This is annoying, but normal.

If you happen to be using GeForce Experience to "Optimize" the game, you might want to undo that as it tends to make a mess of things for TS3 and other older games. There should be an Undo or Revert option available within the Experience program. Not sure if that's leading to the unwanted lot highlights, afraid to say that could be almost anything.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    The HQ "mod" is really just an alteration to the GraphicsRules.sgr file. This file is also used if you're manually adding your card. I can help in a private PM here. I don't want others trying this without a dedicated graphics card.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    Thanks @SimplyJen, I might have gotten HQ mods mixed up with Reshader (I've made that mistake before). If I wanted my computer to say "You've got to be kidding" and laugh at me, I could do that by using the built-in calculator to divide by zero. But that's just me and plans are already in place for a more modern system to play on. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited November 2018
    @igazor Yeah, after reading it over it made sense. It went right over my head. Silly me, haha. xD

I had been trying and failing so much on getting that file to work and the other file to work when I first got my laptop that I was sure it couldn't be perfect since neither game would start up. That lead to me going to the internet and then their site at that point after a search on the web. So, knowing that none of that matters even with their version of the file is great to know. Thank you for explaining that to me :)

I also only use Nvidia experience to get the graphics driver downloads. I try to remember not to click optimize since I've heard a lot of bad things about it.

@SimplyJen Okay, that'd be amazing. Thank you very much!

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    btw... A "Game Ready Driver" is the most up to date drivers for all major new releases, including Virtual Reality games.
    The only reason to stay on top of driver updates is for A: Troubleshooting & B: New game releases, including Virtual Reality games. Sometimes the newest drivers don't have all the bugs worked out of them either. I update my drivers maybe twice a year or for new game releases.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    edited November 2018
    It actually does become tiring everytime they release a new one which feels like every two days, haha. The game resets the settings, but I remember them and just select the same settings.

So, depending on what the notes are, I'll read into them and figure out what feels important to download. It sounds like I don't have to install and wait for those annoying processes half the time which is reassuring. I'm still learning quite a bit when it comes to this card.