Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

First person mod idea for Sims 3

Since sims 4 now officially has first person; I wonder if it is possible for anyone to make a first person mod for sims 3? It would be cool to play first person in a open world environment, I can imagine the fun that would happen. IMAGINE THE METEOR HITTING YA IN THE FACE WHEN YOU LOOK UP AT THE SKY!!! LOL! Sorry for caps, was being humorous. XD
If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I think you might be overestimating what it is mod developers can do with this game just a smidge. :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    I think you might be overestimating what it is mod developers can do with this game just a smidge. :/
    I have to agree but what a fun thought. All though if we're wishing about the impossible here... 64-bit version over FPV.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2018
    I prefer to see my sims and their facial expressions and gestures/animations. I do love to travel through open world with my sims though, but I can do that by double clicking on them while they’re driving their car. I haven’t tried FP in Sims 4 (because I’m not interested), but the two times I saw it in a video I became motion sick in a few seconds.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • cocococo Posts: 2,722 Member
    Just go into tab mode, it's almost the same thing :tongue:
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    So, it's fun to see a meteor hit? You can do that with the Tab key.

What else would be considered fun about it? I ask this because I don't get first person in The Sims. :)
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I don't get first person in the sims. I am not my sim. I don't really want to see the world from his or her view. I am the creator. I want to watch them respond to the world around them, how they react with each other or the situations I put them in. I don't particularly like first person in other games and I usually switch it off if there is that option. If no option, I don't play that game.
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    bekkasan wrote: »
    I don't get first person in the sims. I am not my sim. I don't really want to see the world from his or her view. I am the creator. I want to watch them respond to the world around them, how they react with each other or the situations I put them in. I don't particularly like first person in other games and I usually switch it off if there is that option. If no option, I don't play that game.

This is pretty much me.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member

This.It reminds me of one of those "Pet Vet simulations" or one of those cheap simulator games.I don't even use first person in GTA 5.
  • AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    edited November 2018
    While I can see the fun in the idea, based on what I’ve seen of the first person view in the videos I’m not quite the biggest fan.

Honestly, I think the feature is somewhat half baked. But I am glad that others are having fun with it :)

This is only my opinion though and I am always liable to be wrong. Lol.
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    edited November 2018
    I love first person, I find it immersive, not everyone likes it but I do. As for my suggestion; it can be done.
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
    Exactly this, playing with someone else in fact is the main charm for me. And you really don’t need it for picture purposes, because you can turn the camera first person in Sims 3 as well if you want to.

Raven_084_zps0aa280a3.png

5JZ57S6.png
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    I prefer how it was introduced in The Sims (2000), got even better in The Sims 2 (2004) and refined the 3rd person camera angles in TS3 (2009). I am going to guess the first-person mode in TS4 is being used as an introduction for what's to come in the future for The Sims franchise.

I think it was in The Sims (PS2) or The Sims Bustin' Out (PS2) which might have been the first Sims game to incorporate first-person perspective, though, through a cheat. Not really ideal for a Sims game in my opinion but the option was nice but again not how I would prefer to play. Which is why I tried it once and then I don't think I've ever used the cheat again. But the difference is I don't mind trying something completely out of character for a Sims game as long as it's a spin-off.

My thoughts, as well, I am not the Sim, I am directing the Sim in what I call an interactive soap opera through their virtual lives. First-person perspective does not work in all genres nor all games and I feel The Sims is better off without it as it doesn't add anything to the core of what makes The Sims, The Sims.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    I love first person, I find it immersive, not everyone likes it but I do. As for my suggestion; it can be done.

I feel much as the others, but I have to say I indeed find it to be immersive.
    I didn't think I would use it in TS4, but I find myself jumping into their viewpoints. It just makes them come to life a little more.
    I love seeing my house builds from their viewpoints.

I wouldn't want to play from that viewpoint though.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    CK213 wrote: »

I feel much as the others, but I have to say I indeed find it to be immersive.
    I didn't think I would use it in TS4, but I find myself jumping into their viewpoints. It just makes them come to life a little more.
    I love seeing my house builds from their viewpoints.

I wouldn't want to play from that viewpoint though.
    same here :) I do enjoy watching how others use the feature but it's not something I would use a lot on my own.

Makes for some interesting screenshots as well. Of course, we can get similar screenshots with the TAB key. This is how I take all of my screenshots pretty much.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    edited November 2018
    If they started with 1st person I'd never have played The Sims. I didn't play nor like any of the 1st person games.
    If I ever felt they were alive, even in the littlest bit, I'd quit playing. Most definitely don't want to be them or live their life - no matter how pretty.

If 1st person is a lead into the next game, I'm glad I stopped here.

*I need to clarify- I don't mind others enjoying it. It's fun for them then it's fun for them. Enjoy it. :mrgreen:
    edited November 2018
    There was one series of first person games I found immersive and was actually very fond of, but it sure didn't offer much in the way of graphics.

"You are sitting in a dark room. In your inventory, you have a candle, a feather, and a small rock. You can move East or South."
    E
    "Now you are looking out of the window. It is still dark."
    E
    "You can't do that."
    S
    "You can't do that."
    Light candle.
    "With what?"
    Light the stupid candle with the match you forgot you had.
    "I don't understand what you are saying."
    Eat candle.
    "Yummm!"
    Eat feather.
    "Yummm!"
    Look at rock.
    "It's a rock."
    Eat rock.
    "You can't do that."
    Throw rock.
    "The rock bounces off the wall, hits you in the head, and knocks you unconscious. You die of your injury a short time later. Game over."

I guess things have kind of moved on from there since then? o:)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • SemaviLadySemaviLady Posts: 526 Member
    @igazor - Not all of us have moved on from there. It can't be just me. I still play interactive fiction (IF) from time to time. Have many of the old classics. But there is fresh stuff. Some IF stories are immersive and others are difficult to solve, but still lots of fun. Some are very clever puzzles :astonished: and others not so much. :tongue:
    Cheerleader_by_CookiemagiK.gifI've owned the TS3 Store since Feb 2015-thanks to the help of many other simmers
    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ☆★☆ My Page ☆★☆-♞- TS3❣
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    The reason why I like first person in sims 4 because of more than just the immersion, but because it is different and unique, because I like to play other ways, 3rd person gets boring at times and I wanted to try something different, nottin wrong with looking through the eyes of a sim (even though some parts of the experience can be awkward lol). This experience allows me to make new challenges such as the Incarnation challenge and live the life in a sims body from birth till their death, fun experience btw and IF Maxis decides to release this in VR, I will get to be able to experience being inside the game and do my incarnation challenge while in VR; which will be trippy as plums. AS for sims 3, I want to try out 1st person in that game as well but that depends if the mod makers are skilled enough to produce such a mod and if they are interested.
    Yes, I play both sims 3 and 4 and also everyone plays the sims in their own style.

Some will think it to be odd to play this way and ask me why play incarnation first person when your doing something like that IRL aka being alive? Because I find it amusing and it is fun to experiment with stuff like this. I like to play god and sometimes a mortal, I like to sometimes control stuff in this game, but also I like to watch them live their own lives without my control and also now I want to be able to see through them and observe their activity that way such as playing as them from first person. I hope this helps you guys understand why I support first person.
    edited November 2018
    To clarify, I just gave my personal opinion about first person (as did others), how it is for me. If others like it that’s perfectly fine of course. I do think they did it in a sloppy way for Sims 4 (in spare time apparently, with clipping everywhere and in a way that causes motion sickness when you’re sensitive in that respect). If enough people would like it and it would be possible to mod in, I see no reason why they couldn’t do it for Sims 3. Plus the tip, if you’d like to use this in stories, you already can.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 498 Member
    edited November 2018
    What Joanne did was just take a picture and set the angle to make it look like it's from the sims' view. That is totally different from playing in first mode, there is no comparison. You'd have to play in first mode in TS4 to understand.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member

Same with me.
    I play my RPG's and such in third person too. I want to watch my sims / characters in games, not pretend I am one. They're separate entities from me. First person isn't anything I like in any game really, let alone sims.
    Other people play differently, but it's just not for me.

Heh, I remember the old text based adventure games, I used to love those :D The Secret of Bastow Manor was one of my favourites when I was young.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    As for my suggestion; it can be done.
    AS for sims 3, I want to try out 1st person in that game as well but that depends if the mod makers are skilled enough to produce such a mod and if they are interested.

Offhand I would have to say the interest probably isn't there. But Mod The Sims (MTS) would be the place to check on that more reliably than here. The TS3 modding community still congregates over there, at least much of it does, and it's a much smaller group than it once was.

As for the skill set involved, I'm still not sure this is possible by way of a mod. The game is not open sourced, it's all proprietary code owned and accessible only by EA. That which can be modded by way of script and core mods (and tunings) is only a subset of the entire code base.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • GoulsquashGoulsquash Posts: 715 Member
    As soon as first person mode was announced all of the articles I saw were "first person mode allows players to get nsfw" so thats pretty gross.

I like seeing my sims facial expressions. It wouldnt be a feature I would end up using.

My Blog - Currently updating Aurora Skies!
    edited November 2018
    Sofmc9 wrote: »
    What Joanne did was just take a picture and set the angle to make it look like it's from the sims' view. That is totally different from playing in first mode, there is no comparison. You'd have to play in first mode in TS4 to understand.
    I never said it’s like ‘playing in first person mode’, I said that if you want to use that perspective in pictures/screenshots to tell a story you can. In pictures there is no difference.
    (I took that picture in 2013 by the way)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 498 Member
    I see a difference though. I'll post some close up picts on activity page if you want to take a look.