Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you think of the Reputation System?

Just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts on the reputation is, positive or negative. Any issues you've had with it?

My personal opinion: I like the fact that there are 3 different tiers for positive and negative reputations, and that all of them have different effects on the way other sims will act towards your sims. I also like that's it's challenging to gain a reputation.

However, I think some positive or negative actions don't cause a change in reputation when they should, either because of a bug or because they were overlooked.

I also don't like how they treated cheating/ affairs: I think if a sims is out in public and cheating on their partner, their reputation should get lower, NOT just when their spouse finds out. It just doesn't seem realistic, especially for a celebrity. This seems to be an issue in all the sims games.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    It’s kind of slow going for my Sims since you only gain reputation from being in public. But when my sims are in public the bar doesn’t seem to go up by much so idk :/
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Don't have the game yet, but I feel like cheating would only be noticeable in public if you're famous. Otherwise, strangers wouldn't know you're cheating, unless maybe you imagine it to be a small tight-knit community where everyone knows everyone.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    At least so far we haven't seen reputation take a hit for Woohoo with the occult like in Sims 3 -- that always bugged me. I'm still in the early stages with one of my Sims; he just moved in his girlfriend who he knocked up, but I'm thinking of having him start a side relationship with another Sim in the neighborhood to see what happens. (Both him and his girlfriend are Notable Newcomers; she has a Pristine Reputation but he's Neutral so far.)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited November 2018
    It’s kind of slow going for my Sims since you only gain reputation from being in public. But when my sims are in public the bar doesn’t seem to go up by much so idk :/

I agree it's slow going, but I like the challenge. I feel like some positive and negative actions don't register correctly when in public, so I think it definitely needs some fine-tuning
  • Options
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Don't have the game yet, but I feel like cheating would only be noticeable in public if you're famous. Otherwise, strangers wouldn't know you're cheating, unless maybe you imagine it to be a small tight-knit community where everyone knows everyone.

That makes sense. If you're a celebrity it should definitely make your reputation worse. But from what I've heard, it only effects you if your spouse catches you cheating in public, which I think is rather unrealistic :/
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I haven't done a lot with the reputaion so I don't know yet how it affects my sims. My actor just got a good reputation but I haven't seen how that will affect him yet.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    I hope this isn't anything like in TS3, where all sorts of weird things cause changes to reputation. Some of them were a bit excessive.
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    My sim had gotten a pristine reputation just by introducing himself to a few people on set while I was playing through the acting career. The only thing I've noticed in regards to reputation so far are text messages. He gets texts messages from people asking to become good friends, or people asking to give his number to their friends, or people asking for donations because they heard he was a good person... and then people angry with him for drinking plasma without permission (even tho I've stopped doing that long ago). Just lots and lots of text messages.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    The reputation and the fame system both are giving me a reason to go to community lots. I like it.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Nope. It works no matter if you’re famous or not. If a third sim sees you; they’ll tell. And that’s if the sim you’re cheating with doesn’t first.

I’ve done it twice; once with the pancakes (caught by Eliza herself, that kicked off, she beat my sim up in the street which gave her in more or a bad rep) second was with Dominic Fyres or whatever his name is, they got caught my Morgan and my sim started getting calls the next sim day.

I love it personally, the more sims that witness, the more it effects your sim.

—T
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    To7m wrote: »
    Nope. It works no matter if you’re famous or not. If a third sim sees you; they’ll tell. And that’s if the sim you’re cheating with doesn’t first.

I’ve done it twice; once with the pancakes (caught by Eliza herself, that kicked off, she beat my sim up in the street which gave her in more or a bad rep) second was with Dominic Fyres or whatever his name is, they got caught my Morgan and my sim started getting calls the next sim day.

—T

I just tested this out with one of my married sims. I had her go out to a club and flirt with various men. She is also a celebrity. Nothing happened. No lowering of reputation at all. This was also at a club with papparazi and other celebrities present.

I also just tested it with another celebrity sim I have who has a boyfriend. She went to a club in Del Sol Valley and woohooed in the closet with a random guy. No changes....

So I'm not sure where you're seeing this; you're the first person I've seen to claim this occurs :/
    Post edited by bixters on
  • Options
    Maybe I'm the only one, but personally I kinda liked the reputation system from the Sims 3. I thought it was pretty entertaining to see your sim become a disgrace in front of the whole town, but I love having drama and consequences in my game. It wasn't perfect, but it made the sims feel not just like a game, but like a society where your actions have consequences in the eyes of the public. I hoped that Sims 4 had some elements of that.
  • Options
    hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited November 2018
    It seems to mostly be affected by acting friendly, for good rep and acting mean for bad rep. Actions in public such as cheating don’t seem to affect the reputation at all. At least not in my game yet.
  • Options
    HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    It's a nice addition to the game but because my Sim gained the Good Manners trait ageing from a Teenager to Young Adult, giving a few sims a 'Polite Introduction' catapulted her to pristine reputation almost instantly, so it didn't give me any challenge at all.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited November 2018
    Other than a few minor tweaking here and there I like it, plus it's not connected with the fame system in the least.

Had a klepto sim get caught swiping (they did it autonomously) and later one of their friends texted them not sure if they even wanted them to go come over to their home anymore along with a decrease in their relationship. So, sims definitely will tattle on you. It's not overly dramatic and I'm not having to worry about toddlers or babies telling on my sim at least. :tongue:

Find the only thing that probably needs to be worked on is when sims cheat on another sim in public.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    edited November 2018
    All in all - not too impressed with it - seems to just give options for your fame points. Just like it is so easy to get the good traits from Parenthood for kids and really difficult to get the bad traits - reputation is the same way - way to easy to get good and very difficult to get bad. I had one of my sims have an affair with Octavia Bailey-Moon - passion kissed her in that bar in Del Sol Valley right in front of Thorne with lots of sims there and no hit to reputation at all. Thorne did see it and slapped her but then went right back to posing!
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'm good with the rep system so far.
    It does seems incredibly easy to get a good rep once you have the incredibly friendly trait. I basically always get that trait for either good or bad sim types to make sim life easier for them. I have a sim that I eventually want to get a bad rep on but mostly he's still been shmoozing for fame so his rep has gone up steadily and recently topped out.
    I really wanted a way for sims to "cheat" in private and not get caught so very happy that that can happen. I don't get the reasoning behind having a bad rep if no one that would judge you for it witnesses your actions. Uggh, I would turn off something like that so fast or remove it/ mod it out from my game.
    In the next week or so I'll go at getting a bad rep hard to see how it happens. I'm assuming mean interactions in public and cheating, stealing ect and getting caught/seen doing bad things will make the rep bad. That would make sense to me.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    edited November 2018
    My sim was not married, but having an affair with a married sim and her reputation didn't suffer at all. Not in public, not even when his wife caught them. But the neighborhood brawl holiday gave me a bad reputation. I've not done too much with it so I don't even know if there is an upside to having a good reputation v bad. Also my sims got the first level of the good rep just by helping their kids with homework, just them at home. I don't understand why that would help reputation at all. My kids also had good rep after just a few days of being nice to each other.
    Post edited by Rae357 on
  • Options
    klestrellaklestrella Posts: 440 Member
    edited November 2018
    I like it so far; it’s nice that increasing reputation is a little challenging and requires a decent amount of input from the player. I haven’t played with it extensively, but I was pleasantly surprised to see my sim with a great reputation suffer the consequences of “cheating” on another. I put “cheating” in quotations because she wasn’t in a committed relationship with anyone at the time, but she was still judged for her actions. She was an actress and had a romantic relationship with both a producer and a co-star, so when one kissed her in front of the other, all her co-workers reacted when she was confronted. Early the next morning, she received a text from one of her friends (another celebrity, by the way) that said something along the lines of: “I don’t want to pass judgement, but I heard you were caught cheating on your partner. Maybe you should keep your personal affairs more...personal.” After that text, she took a pretty decent hit to her reputation. It wasn’t enough to ruin it, nor did any of her other friends or romantic interests seem to dislike her for cheating. I only hope the implementation of this system means we may see further elaboration on it, especially when it comes to the romance department. I would have been more impressed had her “cheating” been exposed without having one of the romantic interests see it, and had sims who encountered her in public reacted negatively or refused to speak to her as a sign of their disapproval.

I do also appreciate the fact that each level of reputation has different perks. I really like the fact that having a positive reputation results in having an easier time befriending and romancing sims. Although, I was kind of bothered by the frequent job offer texts. Nice idea, just a little too persistent for my taste. The blind date and “could we be friends?” texts were pretty cute, though. I haven’t played with the negative reputation yet, so I can’t really remark on it. All in all, I enjoy the system and hope they implement similar ones into packs in the future. :smile:
  • Options
    liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    Holiday wrote: »
    It's a nice addition to the game but because my Sim gained the Good Manners trait ageing from a Teenager to Young Adult, giving a few sims a 'Polite Introduction' catapulted her to pristine reputation almost instantly, so it didn't give me any challenge at all.
    Holiday wrote: »

I'd imagine that that then is a reason to make the effort and teach kid and teen sims the good manners trait in the first place, if you want it easier for them to get a good reputation when they're older, right?
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,428 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    To7m wrote: »

—T

I just tested this out with one of my married sims. I had her go out to a club and flirt with various men. She is also a celebrity. Nothing happened. No lowering of reputation at all. This was also at a club with papparazi and other celebrities present.

I also just tested it with another celebrity sim I have who has a boyfriend. She went to a club in Del Sol Valley and woohooed in the closet with a random guy. No changes....

So I'm not sure where you're seeing this; you're the first person I've seen to claim this occurs :/
    Exactly, I’m didn’t get a change either. I tried out in both public and private. Paparazzi took photos in public but nothing happened, unless they coincidentally took photos of my celeb sim at the perfect time. They only reacted in shock when the sim who was being cheated on caught them
  • Options
    AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    So, I just tried the other side of the coin - gave a sim an atrocious rep - says supposed to be hard to get friends and romantic partners but that was not my experience. He rudely introduced himself to a female sim and hit her with a few mischief and mean interactions but was then able to do romantic interactions with no rejection at all - she calls him all the time now wanting to date! He was also very mean to his own teenage son that showed up at the bar and the teen barely reacted. They are still all zombies - totally unaware!
  • Options
    Simberella777Simberella777 Posts: 480 Member
    My actor Sim had to research anger emotion and use mean interactions for his gig the next day. I had heard that could take reputation down. I decided to practice on Vlad because he's an evil sim and they already had a small red bar. It wasn't as easy as I thought. Vlad actually enjoyed the mean interactions, even the insults. My sims reputation wasn't affected until he used the 'insult other sim' interaction with Vlad. He put down an apartment neighbor that hated him, Siya.

When he did that the task was checked off but I got a notice that his reputation had dropped to neutral. The next day while completing his gig, a text message came in from Vlad. It read, "I agree, Siya is not so great, she is not cool". Really Vlad?
  • Options
    IyasenuIyasenu Posts: 325 Member
    It's not purely the reputation, but I really, really wish that the 5-star Celebrity/Pristine Reputation Fame Perk for free services/drinks/dining did NOT have the thing where Sims celebrate your arrival to the Venue.

Because each Sim wants to do the "Celebrate Celebrity" action, where they pop off a confetti tube or throw confetti around, and it literally locks your Sim in place, because they're doing the action TO your Sim, rather than just celebrating on their own.
    And they love to do this one at a time, so if you arrive at a Venue and there are like 5 Sims standing around the loading zone, then you're gonna be hard-pressed to get anything done until they're all done showering you with adoration.

I love the free meals, but I HATE the way their celebrating locks you into their interaction.
    Though Pristine Rep on its own can be annoying in its own right, as "React Positively to Sim's Presence" action can be annoying as well.
    But at least other Sims doing that doesn't delay your character from doing their own thing.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    So far, I've been working to keep my Sims' reputation just as it is. He's got a Pristine Reputation and I'd like to keep it that way. No bad boy act for me. LOL He's the singer Sim I created for Sims3 that I brought forward. He had enough trouble just keeping a romantic relationship intact in Sims3. I'd much rather see him fare better this go-around.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/