Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stop blameing the player

Dukemon20Dukemon20 Posts: 38 Member
edited November 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I really do not like it how the game is blaming the player when a toddler is involved. When toddler or child do not get food by now , the game is waveing with raised finger the player is a bad person. The toddler and child is not the important thing in the game and the AI of this game is very obstructive very often by solving any needs. (pancakes are placed on the chair for toddlers. Toddler is placed into the chair. Toddler is waving for an adult to placed out of the chair to get angry because it has hunger. and the adults are stop every other players instructions to put the child out of the highchair.) The worst of this whole situation is that game is blaming the player in a text box, because this toddler or child has hunger.
There are to much animations that are more important than fulfill the needs. Sim have to go to toilet. Instead of player's instruction to go to the toilet, the Sim is standing on spot and crying "he have to go to toilet". As it would not be enough, the Sim does not run to toilet he goes in slow motion.
Change this back how it was handled in Sims 1, please.

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Those are interesting complaints, I never looked at it that way, but you are right about the high chair. If the parent can't stop picking the toddler up and interrupting it eating then it's not the player's fault, it's the half baked high chair.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    Oh boy, Sims 1? Intense. I like how it was handled in Sims 2.

What you mention about the high chair is just bad coding. It's a good idea to use a high chair, but sims will immediate put down the toddler after sitting him in it if you're not constantly canceling the action in the queue. There's mods to stop that, but it shouldn't be necessary.
    edited November 2018
    If an object doesn't work correctly players shouldn't have to use a mod or do a work around like I did (put food on floor or on table for toddlers) and the high chair should be removed from game. Nothing annoys a player more than a useless object.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    DreamaDove wrote: »
    Oh boy, Sims 1? Intense. I like how it was handled in Sims 2.

What you mention about the high chair is just bad coding. It's a good idea to use a high chair, but sims will immediate put down the toddler after sitting him in it if you're not constantly canceling the action in the queue. There's mods to stop that, but it shouldn't be necessary.

I don't usually mind too much when the game has annoying things by design, usually it's something easily ignored or I can figure out the "trick".
    But I agree...i hate when there's an object or aspect of the game that I like to use and all it does is add frustration. Especially if it's a bug or glitch that never gets fixed. The high chair should be helpful not a hindrance to the game.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
    Cupid wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    If an object doesn't work correctly players shouldn't have to use a mod or do a work around like I did (put food on floor or on table for toddlers) and the high chair should be removed from game. Nothing annoys a player more than a useless object.

Why is it better to delete something that isn't working properly rather than give people the option to simply not use it? I use the high chairs with my toddlers and to be honest they work fine for me, at least with the way I play. And without them, we wouldn't be able to take toddlers out to restaurants to eat.

Something that doesn't work for me would be the talking toilets, which seem to cancel out interactions every time a sim enters the bathroom. They've had this issue for two years now and to my knowledge it hasn't been fixed. I never use them because of it, but I wouldn't say they should just go and remove them because for all I know there are people out there who don't care about that or don't mind playing around the issue.

I don't know why your high chairs work correctly but when toddlers were released this was the number one complaint. It is still a problem. Sure, if you make your Sims work while the toddler is in chair, maybe they will not be obsessed to take the kid out of the chair etc. however, if you leave them alone that is the first thing they want to do. Put in, take out. It's been one of the biggest complaints since toddlers came out.

The talking toilets may not work because they are too close to a wall. I don't know, but in the middle of a floor you might find out they work better than they did. I can't say why some things work for some and some don't. I just know the highchair has been the brunt of many complaints since it was patched into game. Nannies also take the kids out of the chair over and over. It would seem after two or three years they would have looked into the problem.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member

Why is it better to delete something that isn't working properly rather than give people the option to simply not use it? I use the high chairs with my toddlers and to be honest they work fine for me, at least with the way I play. And without them, we wouldn't be able to take toddlers out to restaurants to eat.

Something that doesn't work for me would be the talking toilets, which seem to cancel out interactions every time a sim enters the bathroom. They've had this issue for two years now and to my knowledge it hasn't been fixed. I never use them because of it, but I wouldn't say they should just go and remove them because for all I know there are people out there who don't care about that or don't mind playing around the issue.

I don't know why your high chairs work correctly but when toddlers were released this was the number one complaint. It is still a problem. Sure, if you make your Sims work while the toddler is in chair, maybe they will not be obsessed to take the kid out of the chair etc. however, if you leave them alone that is the first thing they want to do. Put in, take out. It's been one of the biggest complaints since toddlers came out.

The talking toilets may not work because they are too close to a wall. I don't know, but in the middle of a floor you might find out they work better than they did. I can't say why some things work for some and some don't. I just know the highchair has been the brunt of many complaints since it was patched into game. Nannies also take the kids out of the chair over and over. It would seem after two or three years they would have looked into the problem.

My point wasn't to say that just because I have no issues with the high chairs that they aren't broken (I like to keep my sims busy while the toddler is eating, so maybe that's why I haven't run into any issues yet), nor that it's acceptable that they have been broken for so long. I'm just saying, why should they just be removed from the game when there are people out there getting use from them?
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    edited November 2018
    I'm not saying they should be removed I'm saying it's worthless to most, since they have to do work arounds (keep other Sims busy) while it's in use. If it's that bad, it's annoying and way past time they fixed it, if it's not by design. ETA: It's broken, right? Or it was for me and that's been years, so no need to keep it in game, if they can't do any better than that. Frankly I'm tired of their excuses.
    I *like* the high chairs. They're cute. I want them fixed, not taken out. This game is empty enough as it is, no need to make it even barer.
    edited November 2018
    I *like* the high chairs. They're cute. I want them fixed, not taken out. This game is empty enough as it is, no need to make it even barer.

But if an object is broken and you jump hoops to use it (work arounds) then it shouldn't be there taking up pixels and polys.

ETA: It's been this way since the release of toddlers two or three years? It's clear it's not going to be 'fixed' how much are you guys willing to tolerate? After two or three years where do you guys draw the line? Just keep buying? I think it's way past time they get off their duffs. (no offense to them but c'mon) TS4 is four years old and buggier than TS3 with 11 EPs. Think about it.

I use logic, 40x52 weeks X 4 years= 8,320 hours on this game and it still has the same old bugs? Good grief.
  • N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member

My point wasn't to say that just because I have no issues with the high chairs that they aren't broken (I like to keep my sims busy while the toddler is eating, so maybe that's why I haven't run into any issues yet), nor that it's acceptable that they have been broken for so long. I'm just saying, why should they just be removed from the game when there are people out there getting use from them?

It would be even nicer if they got fixed rather than simmers resorting to entertaining the choices between deleting it or not using it. If anything would ever go...I'd much rather get rid of some other things... (hmmhm..cupcake machine).
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr

But if an object is broken and you jump hoops to use it (work arounds) then it shouldn't be there taking up pixels and polys.

ETA: It's been this way since the release of toddlers two or three years? It's clear it's not going to be 'fixed' how much are you guys willing to tolerate? After two or three years where do you guys draw the line? Just keep buying? I think it's way past time they get off their duffs. (no offense to them but c'mon) TS4 is four years old and buggier than TS3 with 11 EPs. Think about it.

I use mods to fix it. My game is heavily modded to change things I don't like.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I'm not saying they should be removed

I mean, I'm not trying to be obtuse here, but that is what you're saying:
    the high chair should be removed from game.
    It's broken, right? Or it was for me and that's been years, so no need to keep it in game

I'm saying it's worthless to most, since they have to do work arounds (keep other Sims busy) while it's in use. If it's that bad, it's annoying and way past time they fixed it, if it's not by design. ETA: It's broken, right? Or it was for me and that's been years, so no need to keep it in game, if they can't do any better than that. Frankly I'm tired of their excuses.

That's just it. Keeping my sims busy isn't a workaround to me, it's just how I always play. For other people, it might be out of their playstyle to do that and therefore it would be an unsatisfying solution to them. Again, I'm not disagreeing that it should have been fixed by now. But I disagree with the idea that bugged objects should just be removed from the game.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)

I use mods to fix it. My game is heavily modded to change things I don't like.

I don't play that way. I will not use a mod to fix a Maxis problem. Sure, if I want to enchance gameplay but not to fix their slap happy coding.
    I'm not saying they should be removed

I mean, I'm not trying to be obtuse here, but that is what you're saying:
    the high chair should be removed from game.
    It's broken, right? Or it was for me and that's been years, so no need to keep it in game

I'm saying it's worthless to most, since they have to do work arounds (keep other Sims busy) while it's in use. If it's that bad, it's annoying and way past time they fixed it, if it's not by design. ETA: It's broken, right? Or it was for me and that's been years, so no need to keep it in game, if they can't do any better than that. Frankly I'm tired of their excuses.

That's just it. Keeping my sims busy isn't a workaround to me, it's just how I always play. For other people, it might be out of their playstyle to do that and therefore it would be an unsatisfying solution to them. Again, I'm not disagreeing that it should have been fixed by now. But I disagree with the idea that bugged objects should just be removed from the game.

If they aren't ever going to fix it, or other things then they take up space. I'm not advocating they remove things, that would break people's saves. However, if they can't do any better by now, there is no point of a game full of broken items, either. It means you pay for a half a game. Let's say an object isn't working correctly if people didn't play the way you do. Then how much should be deducted for a worthless object? I think if they can't get it together by now they should start refunding for every feature and object or gameplay broken in this game. Maybe $1 or $5 per object, and $10 for particular game play broken in EPs and GPs. Harsh? Maybe but it's four years later and here we are still complaning about bugs and more bugs. A game is only as good as it's reputation. And this one is surpassing TS3's buggy mess.
  • ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    Maybe you should put your toddler in the highchair before they get fussy and angry that they are hungry, I use to do that but the adult just kept taking them out but now I just put them in before they hit yellow on the needs bar and it seems to work fine. Or you can just get the toddler to get their own plate? I do that all the time now as it is so much easier and when you are doing a rags to riches story it just helps save money lol.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    High chairs are a nightmare. At this point I don't even give toddlers meals. I just put a bunch fruit in their inventory and they sustain themselves on pears until they're children. The game always stresses me out with toddlers, like you said. Like the first time they get hunger that's orange it's like "blah blah is just a helpless toddler" and I'm like I KNOW but I've been trying to put blah blah in his high chair for an hour and my Sim has to walk up and down the stairs a bazillion times before I even get there. 😥 So now they just eat fruit. High chairs really need fixing, and I don't know why some of the most glaring issues aren't fixed yet, between this and the time slow down when my Sims sleep, some sim days are just nightmarish.
  • sazzieJsazzieJ Posts: 150 Member
    i gave up on the highchair as i dont like excessive micromanaging and sometimes my adult sims are disobedient in that ill tell them to do one thing like paint, and next thing i know theyre doing something else or taking the kid out of the chair.

i agree with the game being too quick to point the lack of care finger. ill be telling my toddlers who are level 3 potty to use it and instead they sook and cry and delay and dont do as theyre told.

one toddler is fine but my sim had twins and i was not prepared for the level of management required so the twins are being raised by the tablet thing with food left on counters.
    luxsylvan wrote: »
    High chairs are a nightmare. At this point I don't even give toddlers meals. I just put a bunch fruit in their inventory and they sustain themselves on pears until they're children. The game always stresses me out with toddlers, like you said. Like the first time they get hunger that's orange it's like "blah blah is just a helpless toddler" and I'm like I KNOW but I've been trying to put blah blah in his high chair for an hour and my Sim has to walk up and down the stairs a bazillion times before I even get there. 😥 So now they just eat fruit. High chairs really need fixing, and I don't know why some of the most glaring issues aren't fixed yet, between this and the time slow down when my Sims sleep, some sim days are just nightmarish.

ive tried fruit and found it didnt always work. will they autonomously eat the fruit or just watch and click often?
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Toddlers are important they can't feed themselves.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Caszidy215Caszidy215 Posts: 310 Member
    The High Chair 🐸🐸🐸🐸 me off. The slow walking to the restroom 🐸🐸🐸🐸 me off. Like why would I want my sim to move like a snail and they have to pee? This was dumb programming to say the least.
  • ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    I guess I am alone in thinking the pee walk is a cute detail :D
    Reksoh wrote: »
    I have a mod so that the pee walk is reserved for kids. And yeah, it's cute.

• Dukemon20Dukemon20 Posts: 38 Member
    Reksoh wrote: »

It makes no sense and is very time intensive. It slow downs the gameplay and the Sims are very slow already. Almost 1 - 2 Simhours to get clean under the shower... Only to have the option to improve this object?
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

I agree and the customer does not have to use it, but the problem is if many objects are involved and gradually you see the game worth drop because you can't use most of the objects and customers should not have to use mods to replace what the developer is supposed to fix. The way I see it Sims 4 is having problems even if it does not have many features and is becoming as troublesome as Sims 3 was supposely was. This game game needs constant tweaking especially after an new pack is introduced.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    sebibergs wrote: »
    I really do not like it how the game is blaming the player when a toddler is involved. When toddler or child do not get food by now , the game is waveing with raised finger the player is a bad person. The toddler and child is not the important thing in the game and the AI of this game is very obstructive very often by solving any needs. (pancakes are placed on the chair for toddlers. Toddler is placed into the chair. Toddler is waving for an adult to placed out of the chair to get angry because it has hunger. and the adults are stop every other players instructions to put the child out of the highchair.) The worst of this whole situation is that game is blaming the player in a text box, because this toddler or child has hunger.
    There are to much animations that are more important than fulfill the needs. Sim have to go to toilet. Instead of player's instruction to go to the toilet, the Sim is standing on spot and crying "he have to go to toilet". As it would not be enough, the Sim does not run to toilet he goes in slow motion.
    Change this back how it was handled in Sims 1, please.

Seriously, Sims 1? Those Sims would constantly pee themselves, fill every spot with ordered pizzas and starve themselves if left to their own devices. In Sims 4, even with autonomy off, Sims will take care of their most essential needs. (I once forgot about a Sim I left to write a book while I was concentrating on another Sim. When her bladder reached the bright red stage, she quit writing and used the toilet. And yes, it was the talking toilet - it works fine for me. The first time a Sim uses it, they will stop and stare at it, but after that, they use it properly.) They do a lot less complaining and more doing in Sims 4.

I agree about the high chairs, however. I could leave my older Sims to take care of themselves and they would, but the one time I experimented with autonomous toddler care, I came back to find the toddler about to be taken away. The high chairs don't work properly because the feed interaction is separate from placing the child in the chair, so the 'check toddler' queues up in between.
    I just want things to match. :'(