Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone else find this extremely frustrating?!

Comments

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    Ouch, that sounds horrible! I never had death by toddler in my game, didn't even know it exists. Was it there from the start, or did it come with some pack?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    @Simmerville, The death from being hysterical (which is when they are uber-playful) for an emotion has been in since base. The ability for a toddler to cause it, of course, was not...seeing as toddlers weren't in the base game. They came in a patch. (I know you know that and just didn't think of it).
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    fiercephoenix91fiercephoenix91 Posts: 175 Member
    :open_mouth:
    Omg! This explains a lot to me, then!

Only ONCE has any of my Sims died from Hysterical Moodlet. Their house was great and so he was usually in very good moods. Very decorative. Then the first time he interacted with his toddler daughter, she made him very playful and before I could get him to go to a mirror to calm down, she did it again and bam, into hysterical. :disappointed: Luckily I didn't save after the Grim Reaper left so I could prevent it happening again when reopening the save.
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    @Stormkeep Yes. If someone were enraged, mortified, or hysterical, I would find a visit from the therapist to be very appropriate. Even comical.
  • Options
    micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    I always wondered about this. I have had several sims die unintentionally from emotional deaths. I could not figure out what was different in my game when so many others were saying how hard it is to die this way. It was bothering me very much. I wish there was a way to shut this off without using a mod to do it.
  • Options
    fallenangel66fallenangel66 Posts: 294 Member
    I've had this with sim parents watching toddlers interact with puppies or kittens.
  • Options
    AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    They do need to tone this down - it happens way too often now. With all the packs, there are so many playful moodlets that can stack so fast. My sims had twin toddlers too - I constantly kept having to take them to the mirror to calm down. They got married while the twins were still toddlers and with the party atmosphere and celebrities there and all else, I could not keep my eye on every sim, especially since they also had another child sim too, so 5 sims to watch during a wedding party - they both died of hysteria before I could do anything to calm them down leaving their children orphans which would be game over. I quit without saving but was not a happy camper. There should at least be more time to try to save them (if you want to) once you hear that death is imminent sound cue.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    @AprilDawn, seems like having twins is a common theme with those of us who find this a frustrating problem that happens when we aren't looking. I agree that, at least for me, it happens because I'm too busy paying attention "elsewhere" to realize what is happening off-camera until it is too late to put a stop to it. I think that's what is most frustrating about the deaths, at least for me.
  • Options
    AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    I like the therapist idea mentioned from Sims 2 - that would be much better (and funnier!) and in Sims 2, when you knew a sim was close to death - there was time and things you could do to save them if you wanted to. I am not one of those people that want to get rid of all the deaths - I just want the choice to be able to save them if I want to - it just happens way too fast.
  • Options
    LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    edited November 2018
    AprilDawn wrote: »
    I like the therapist idea mentioned from Sims 2 - that would be much better (and funnier!) and in Sims 2, when you knew a sim was close to death - there was time and things you could do to save them if you wanted to. I am not one of those people that want to get rid of all the deaths - I just want the choice to be able to save them if I want to - it just happens way too fast.

Perhaps they could remove the ‘playful’ moodlet altogether from interacting from toddlers and put in a silly animation instead. Like, an teen or older sim could be watching a toddler play, interact with pets/other toddlers and the sim could just make an ‘aw’ sound. If I can recall the playful moodlet right, it basically just says “That was cute” anyway, why not have the sims react like that instead of a moodlet which could cause death? (Hope I make sense!)

Or, to make it different, parent(s) of the toddler in question might get a different animation sometimes instead of the “That was cute” moodlet. Maybe they could take a video (just an animation, you can’t actually watch the video) of the toddler say, hugging a puppy.

It seems like all the videos I see on Facebook these days feature cats, small kids, or cats and small kids. So, having a parent sim take a video of their toddler doing something cute wouldn’t be that far off from real life, and help avoid the Hysterical emotion.
    Post edited by Lyoufln on
  • Options
    hunniboo1hunniboo1 Posts: 1,510 Member
    I'm trying to @ everyone who responded will address them :)

@Sigzy05: The moodlets in between happy and playful are stacking only to progress from there.

@SimTrippy: One of the toddlers traits it happened with are angelic. They can just be having a conversation with them and it will happen

@Cupid: There are times where I cannot always make it to the mirror. I know this last time happened because I was in the kitchen fixing me something to drink come back and the dad had died from hysteria.

@QueenMercy: Well I thought that was the point of the game..

@asimbsim: I agree. I think the toddlers are producing TOO much emotion.

@LiElf: You are right. I may just copy this thread over there as well so they can hopefully see the issue here.

@Reksoh: wellll do not invite over a goofball or comedian then lol

@Chellejo: I am still learning with MCCC so admittedly I did not know you can turn off the emotional deaths, but this EA problem to fix not on the modders.

@elanorbreton: they are little weapons of mass destruction LOL

@Stormkeep: Sorry you have been experiencing this as well.

@DeKay: Thank you for your insight and that someone's see that these sims are dying because we are playing the game how it is intended to be played.

@Anthonydyer: I agree with emotional deaths...either fix them or get rid of them. Oh how I miss that therapist

@Simmerville: This is something that just seems to have gotten worse with more patches.

@fiercephoenix91 and @michelei: Before hysteria used to be really hard to achieve. This is not my first household this has happened.

@fallenangel66: No animals are in this household :)

@AprilDawn: Oh wow so you know what it is like then. I do agree it needs to be toned down a bit by EA themselves and stop looking at developers to fix their issues.

To others who touched on the same topic: All in all, it is an issue. Parents should not have to be watched 24/7 around toddlers to ensure that they are not having too much fun with their kids. No, EA needs to tone it down on quickly it is happening. My gameplay should not be causing my sims to die when talking to their kids such keep their moodlets high, making sure they have nice decorated homes, clean clothes, and so forth. That's like saying keep them unhappy, in the red, but alive. Do not get me wrong I think the toddlers are so cute and it is an important stage in the game, but this problem makes me want to cheat their skills and skip it completely. It is something that has changed within the last few patches that is making this worse.

Also they do a pop when a sim is about to freeze or overheat to death then they should give the same fair warnings when the other deaths are about to happen

@Simpkin @luthienrising @NorthDakotaGamer
    2llotup.jpg
    The Best of Hunni's Builds
    Feel free to follow my builds!!!!!!:)
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    @hunniboo1 Yes, it is on EA to fix, but if they actually will or not is another matter. It's already address in a mod you use, so I guess, if you chose not to turn that feature off, you can expect the issue to still crop up. It would be no different then fixing the CAS aging bug until EA fixes it. At any rate, happy simming.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I've been playing rotational for the past week or more. and I had noticed those with toddlers were usually very happy, all my families have nice homes, most have fire places and once the toddlers came they have been extremely happy. I will need to sort that out. maybe leave a few dirty clothes about. Thank you fellow simmers for the warning.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    LOL< @feetingstockings, I like your comment "Maybe leave a few dirty clothes about". Awesomely creative way to keep happiness down.
  • Options
    WndblwzWndblwz Posts: 368 Member
    I now get a bit anxious when a Sim gets very playful. Julia Ward dropped dead within minutes of practicing comedy and interacting with another Sim. (I resurrected her.) Not long after she and her new husband were married, he dropped dead. Now, I just get the writer's skill up and keep copies of the Book of Life on hand, or cheat and make ambrosia, as appropriate.
  • Options
    I actually downloaded a mod "No Emotional Deaths" by thrill1 at MTS. modthesims.info/d/619906/no-emotional-deaths.html The Sims can get as emotional as they want this just removes the death effect. You have the choice of removing the effect completely or for the individual emotions giving you problems.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Yeah this happened to me for the first time this week. It was a combo of playing in the snow and laundry. The bad part was I sent my sim to the mirror to calm down and that is when he died. I used to have a mod for no emotional death...guess I need to look for it again...lol
  • Options
    @keekee53 & @fallenangel66, if you use MCCC, disabling emotional deaths is a setting you can turn on in that mod.
  • Options
    GasolineCreaGasolineCrea Posts: 135 Member
    I've intentionally tried to kill sims with emotional deaths before. I tried so many times and they just...didnt. I don't know man.
    So many sorcerers ~
  • Options
    NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    edited November 2018
    I like to kill my Sims and this is an easy way to achieve it, but I am curious on who at EA sat down, drank some coffee, and decided to add in deaths for actually looking after your Sims. Happy moodlets are handed out like candy, even more so if you have all the packs. I mean, sure, I could not wash my clothes, but then why buy that pack?

I also do not understand why ‘healthy’ adults are just keeling over because they laughed too much. It works for elders because, well, you know, but not young adults.
  • Options
    @Stormkeep I've heard lots of people like MCCC, but don't you have to pay for that mod?
  • Options
    AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    I feel like a Thrifty trait would help with all the happy moodlets from all the decorations. I can only imagine how easy it is for Materialistic Sims to die.
  • Options
    @Stormkeep I've heard lots of people like MCCC, but don't you have to pay for that mod?

No. Deaderpool does have patreon, where you can pay and he gives perks for it. Early releases versions, news and info. But his mod is free to everyone. He always has a working, complete MCCC version, free to everyone, on his tumblr site. And when patches hit, he does hotfixes for the free version. And before a patch hits, he makes sure his latest version is the free version.

That sounds a bit complicated, but it's really not. As a paid patreon supporter, you only get a few perks. I support him because I think MCCC is the best, I know he puts a ton of hard work into it and he is fast at his hotfixes and a couple bucks is the least I can do for a mod I won't play my game without. But, for a long time, I was a free user of his mod.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    @ChelleJo thanks for the information, it's much appreciated.
  • Options
    @fallenangel66 You are very welcome :)
    p8L4V6v.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top