The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Physical or Digital Game Copy?

Do you prefer to have physical copies of your Sims games, or digital download?

I personally like the physical copy so that I can display the cases in my room, despite everything after Get to Work being a slip of paper in a DVD case. The digital download copies do tend to go on sale more often, in my experience.

Physical or Digital Game Copy? 102 votes

Physical Game.
28%
IcewolfSamadamsPlayerAnmirlaRadioAChickenalejandro15039shygirlalanmichael1goodcakebaker62icftlduemluckysunshineLustianiciaChelleJo3PupDLSCary1213ClassicalSimauginstineannaliese39Sanriel85BridgetKVWulfsimmer 29 votes
Digital Download.
51%
GalacticGalLaBlue0314IceyJdavidp0418jeLlyBeAn1573musiclover13191HowGreatThouArtStormkeepVibseSimpatsyannIsb917luthienrisingsekojranaKirbySkywalkerGARRICK20texasangelirishluck1986JennyggSimplyJenPegasys 53 votes
Don't Care, as Long as it Works.
19%
GoldmoldarjeepjeepcatWritin_RegIrdiwenBagoas77VulorifullspiraldoedearsnarklesEvilyn_1007Vivi_WillowTreemikamakimonMadachan88CheekyimpEvie0602alyssa123VanPelt81hotrodmum57smurfy77Scorp_ion 20 votes

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Digital Download.
    I use to want the physical copy when there was a disk to be used to install and play the game, but after I had gone from a windows 7 to 8.1 there were some that wouldn't play anymore. Fortunately, I had the codes so I was able to keep playing, and after that, I changed my mind. I also feel claustrophobic when it comes to real life clutter.
  • alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    there's no disk slot on my laptop, so i don't really have a choice, but i also don't have a preference
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,565 Member
    Digital Download.
    Digital cuz now the physical copies don't even have the manual and disc or whatever inside so it's just a waste of space. And I don't care about displaying my things.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    Digital Download.
    Digital. I hate junk. Also digital copies don't waste material and fuel so it is kinda more eco which is very important to me.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Digital Download.
    I'm always a little worried about a service going out of business and losing access to digital stuff forevermore, but I still do prefer digital. It is way too tedious to reinstall everything from disc when I get a new computer. Going back to the age of disc, I would spend several days on installation for a new computer. Now I buy one, queue up the digital stuff, and start using it right away while installations happen in the background. Way, way better now.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • PotbelijoPotbelijo Posts: 23 Member
    Digital Download.
    Digital, although it was a major dilemma for me. Being an oldie, I dislike not having something tangible for the huge amounts of money I've put in to the game. However, I learned very quickly that it's even more annoying having to install various disks in the right order. Plus, as said above, our newer computer doesn't have a disk drive. Another bonus with digital is that I can play online on my old machine and my kid can play offline on his newer one.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I'd prefer physical copy but I buy digital because I get it faster. Less clutter too.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited November 2018
    Physical Game.
    Personally I prefer to have a disc, mostly because I am paranoid about losing a game later if the company goes out of business. However, as this is no longer possible with Sims I have little choice but to get with the times and download like everyone else. I do appreciate the convenience of digital games being available at the click of a button though.
  • thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    Digital Download.
    I prefer digital downloads, at least for PC games. I don't need the extra clutter when I already have to get creative to make room to store things sometimes.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    With this game, I don't have much of a choice but to get the digital copy from origin. The physical copies are hard to find where I am, and can't even find them in stores at time of release.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Physical Game.
    With this game, they are forcing digital only. I absolutely abhor that. I prefer physical for everything from games, movies, music, etc.
  • BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,395 Member
    Digital Download.
    Digital, used to prefer physical but my disc reader stopped working and to avoid future problems, I always go for digital
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Physical Game.
    I prefer physical. I'd prefer my game not be tied to origin, that way, my game will last as long as the CD/DVD's do. I still have Sims 1-3 on disc. And anytime the mood strikes me, I can play any of them.

With Origin, I have to worry one day, Origin will decide to pull up ranks and not support Sims 4. True, it's probably far into the future, if ever. But, it's not something I'd have to worry about at all if I had discs like I do with the other 3 games.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,338 Member
    Digital Download.
    I used to prefer physical, because that allowed me to install without needing internet access. But since physical games have to be registered at Origin to finish installing, for Sims 4 there's no more point to owning a disc.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Digital Download.
    I'm kinda done with having so much stuff. I've been paring down to get rid of clutter. And I'll be doing more of that in the foreseeable future to live somewhere smaller. Apart from family photos and some other particular personal mementos, I expect I'll be prioritizing decorativeness and utility over sentiment. In practice, I really don't look at things I've kept for sentimental reasons. It's more like that that's prevented me from giving them away. I still have my cases for The Sims and Sims 2 and Sims 3, but it never even occurred to me to get them for Sims 4. And I doubt that those older ones will move with me.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    Physical Game.
    I'm old fashioned, I like to have a physical object when I own something.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,467 Member
    Digital Download.
    I have physical copies of both Sims2 and Sims3, with the physical base game copy of Sims4. At first I was skeptical. But, things are working out rather nicely and not only that but those physical copies take up too much space! I don't display them, per se. I've got the Sims2 in the bottom of my game closet and Sims3 in the cabinet on my big desk.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Digital Download.
    alyssa123 wrote: »
    there's no disk slot on my laptop, so i don't really have a choice, but i also don't have a preference
    You can get what's called an external optical drive. It plugs in via USB. They are affordable... around $25-$30 USD. In case you ever have a need for a disk.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Physical Game.
    I prefer having a new shiny box I can come home with in a bag, all excited to install it *insert child's voice "look what I got!"*
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Digital Download.
    I would like to have physical copies if it actually mattered but they don't. Sims 4 requires Origin no matter what and the cases only hold a digital download code.

My physical collection for TS1, TS2, & TS3 sit pretty in a storage box but at least the disk have a use and I don't need Origin to play them.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    Digital Download.
    Seeing as my laptop doesn't even have a disk drive - digital download.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    As much as I would love an physical copy, it is becoming harder to acquire one depending on where you at. As the internet evolves or expand it has made digital delivery more accessible and developers perfer digital over physical being it does save on overhead only in some case customers saves on costs.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • SimsandraSimsandra Posts: 315 Member
    edited November 2018
    Digital Download.
    My PC doesn't have a disk drive on purpose. For me digital downloads are more eco-friendly, also I don't want to waste space on cases.
  • RadioAChickenRadioAChicken Posts: 163 Member
    Physical Game.
    I prefer physical for back up purposes in case the game one day goes *poof* but seeing as it's just a code in a box I buy digital.
    iscQh5U.png
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Simsandra wrote: »
    My PC doesn't have a disk drive on purpose. For me digital downloads are more eco-friendly, also I don't want to waste space on cases.

I am seeing more PC cases without an external slot as it shows the developers are more involved with digital delivery. I like digital but with the Windows installer like GOG provides with it's digital games.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen